Film Infernal Affairs v The Departed

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
So come on film boys, which one do you pick as the top film. Both are classics in their own right but I prefer Infernal Affairs to The Departed. There's almost a less formal element to it which adds to the grittiness of the overall film.

For those that don't know, Infernal Affairs was the inspiration for Scorsese's film. Infernal is entirely in Cantonese with no English dub; however, its quite easy to follow even if the subtitles dont translate as well according to my HK housemate.

Both on Netflix and both watchable time and time again.

There's also two sequals to Infernal Affairs but neither are quite on the same level as the first.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Never seen the latter considered anything other than the knockoff, lesser of the two, tbh.

Deery

Dreary
I’ve watched both and had departed on DVD and can honestly say I liked Infernal Affairs better..

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I've seen both. Much preferred Infernal Affairs. Loved the use of Morse code , which I think The Departed dropped. The love story in Departed was more distracting. But most importantly, The Departed had Marky Mark and his foul mouth, adding nothing to the film.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Infernal Affairs is a much more nuanced and far superior film.

It's a film about spies, moles and covert behaviour, where every one is trying to be covert/blend in/not give anything away.

The Departed is about the same thing, yet everyone is loud and brash and swearing for no apparent reason. It's a rip-off where everything it changes/adds just makes the whole thing worse.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

It's a film about spies, moles and covert behaviour, where every one is trying to be covert/blend in/not give anything away.

The Departed is about the same thing, yet everyone is loud and brash and swearing for no apparent reason. It's a rip-off where everything it changes/adds just makes the whole thing worse.
HK vs Boston

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Infernal Affairs is a far superior film and I honestly think it should have won awards internationally.

I remember sneaking in past the ushers watching it when it first came out. It was an incredible experience then and still is today.

Fingeredmouse

Infernal affairs by a mile. Departed isn't that great and Nicholson is an actor badly needing directorial control.

Ludens the Red

“Swear on your mothers grave you’re not a cwop”
“I’m not a fecking cwop”...

Brilliant cinema. Departed > Infernal affairs

lsd

The Oracle
The Departed was just a poor copy . This shouldn't be a topic

ShinjiNinja26

Love the Departed!! One of my favourite movies, knew it was based on Internal Affairs but have never got round to watching it.The fact it’s all in Chinese has probably put me off it.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
@Mockney what you think? The Departed is pretty great huh?

Revan

Assumptionman
Watched both, liked both, would say that Infernal Affairs is a bit more original, a bit more unique and in general, a bit better. The Departed was very good too.

Red4Life_#7

Not even a contest. Departed completely copied Infernal Affairs, but made it worse. It's crazy Scorsese won his first Oscar completely coping another film.

Infernal Affairs Trilogy are classics.

SirAnderson

Will watch both in the coming days and get my feel for it. I take it I should start with Infernal Affairs first?
Can't understand how I missed these 2. I may have watched Departed ages ago but don't remember anything, and certainly didn't think it has such "cult" like status.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Haven't seen The Departed. I watched Internal Affairs when it came out in a surprising packed Cinema and remember it fondly but had little interest in watching the remake, even if it was Directed by a master of film.
So,shall I watch the Scorsese remake ?

Last edited:

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Haven't seen The Departed. I watched Internal Affairs when it came out in a surprising packed Cinema and remember it fondly but had little interest in watching the remake, even if it was Directed by a master of film.
So,shall I was the Scorsese remake ?
The Departed is on ITV1 tonight at 10.30pm. Not seen Infernal Affairs yet but I will as I love The Departed.

Deery

Dreary
Don’t know about the Marky Mark hate but personally think he makes the film....

Go feck yourself!