Injuries hit: should we switch to a 352?

Prodigal7

So, with our injuries at left back, could the answer be a switch to 3 at the back and a more possession based approach? Could a 352 formation work?

——————-Onana——————
———Lindelof——Varane——Maguire———
Antony——Casemiro——-Mainoo——Dalot
—————————-Bruno——————————
————Højlund———Rashford/Garnacho——

Or some other variation?

Last edited:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
This looks good to me. It feels like we are always fixing a moving car and 5 minutes away from disaster, if it ain’t broke… basically if this isn’t a formation the coach wants then fair enough. I like Antony at LWB and dropping Rashford for Garnacho. I think playing 3 at the back would be good for Evans and Onana too. I’m convinced Fred could have done a good job for us at LB and in midfield this season.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Be a bit bold for ETH to suddenly adopt this tactic over halfway through the season when we're sniffing top 4.

I don't see it.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
What suggests Antony has the defensive nous to have wingers running at him 1v1?

brewers

I say put Antony lb , it's gotta be better than him on the wing

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'd be reluctant to tamper with the front three now we're actually scoring goals for the first time all season, otherwise would be tempted by the idea.

didz

Looks like shitting on your hob cos the oven doesn't work.

lex talionis

Creative thinking, and because we have time between matches the players can be trained to work in a back three, but we’re on a win streak and now within a dog’s breath of top four.

Stay the course.

tomaldinho1

Feel like the back 3 has had it's day, Conte dominated with it in 16/17, the season after every team could play it and knew how to deal with it. Has it been used successfully/regularly at all this season (genuine question)?

Prodigal7

Creative thinking, and because we have time between matches the players can be trained to work in a back three, but we’re on a win streak and now within a dog’s breath of top four.

Stay the course.
Fair enough. My thinking was that Shaws injury disrupts us so much that we need to compensate for not having a left footed full back.

Feel like the back 3 has had it's day, Conte dominated with it in 16/17, the season after every team could play it and knew how to deal with it. Has it been used successfully/regularly at all this season (genuine question)?
I don’t recall anyone playing it this season. Maybe that’s a good thing though as Fulham will not be prepared for it.

didz

Off the top of my head, Wolves and Sheffield United are the only teams for whom it's a go-to defensive shape, although the former blurs the lines between and back 3 and a back 4 while the latter are hardly a great advert for it. West Ham and Brentford got decent results switching to it in the past, but not so much this season.

I'm assuming you just meant in the PL.

ArbeitervonWien

We are finally winning games. Why would we do that? I'd rather shoehorn someone into LB.

tomaldinho1

Off the top of my head, Wolves and Sheffield United are the only teams for whom it's a go-to defensive shape, although the former blurs the lines between and back 3 and a back 4 while the latter are hardly a great advert for it. West Ham and Brentford got decent results switching to it in the past, but not so much this season.

I'm assuming you just meant in the PL.
Yeah PL only. I remember the season after Conte it was literally everywhere and it's kind of petered away since.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
So, with our injuries at left back, could the answer be a switch to 3 at the back and a more possession based approach? Could a 352 formation work?

——————-Onana——————
———Lindelof——Varane——Maguire———
Antony——Casemiro——-Mainoo——Dalot
—————————-Bruno——————————
————Højlund———Rashford/Garnacho——

Or some other variation?
Is Varane fit? Could play Evans if not… could play Evans anyway and push Lindelof out/bin Antony.

Formation might be more solid but loses the width of the front three, which in turn should allow Hojlund more space. With Ten Hags preferred 433, feel like he‘ll “manage” the FB position rather than make major tactical changes.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
People think we can just change a person and do a formation change . Antony hasn't shown anything remotely to be even considered as a wing back. That too a right sided wing back. Name one right wing back who is a left footed player ?

Fifa and FM is spoiling people.

There is a simple way - move Lindelof to right and play Dalot at left back until AWB is back. That's it and that's the only solution unfortunately.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
People think we can just change a person and do a formation change . Antony hasn't shown anything remotely to be even considered as a wing back. That too a right sided wing back. Name one right wing back who is a left footed player ?

Fifa and FM is spoiling people.

There is a simple way - move Lindelof to right and play Dalot at left back until AWB is back. That's it and that's the only solution unfortunately.
Hard disagree.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Considering we've not once changed formation (unless you want to count playing more of a single pivot compared to last year), it's not going to happen now. But regardless the team has been coached to play in transition for 18 months for better or worse, trying to suddenly become a Tuchel's Chelsea type 3/5atb system would be stupid when our best part of the team during these results has been the forwards.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We should never play a system the squad has not extensively trained in in my opinion.

CallyRed

Brings back memories of LVG, Tyler Blackett, Donald Love and Paddy McNair

BuzzKillington

We are finally winning games. Why would we do that? I'd rather shoehorn someone into LB.
Im no fan of Amrabat, but his best performances for us were his first couple of appearances where he was nominally the LB and asked to push up into midfield.

Given we’ve done that a bit this season with Dalot being asked to push up into midfield, I’d just do that and avoid the whole 352 thing.

didz

Is Varane fit? Could play Evans if not… could play Evans anyway and push Lindelof out/bin Antony.

Formation might be more solid but loses the width of the front three, which in turn should allow Hojlund more space. With Ten Hags preferred 433, feel like he‘ll “manage” the FB position rather than make major tactical changes.
I'd be surprised if it isn't Evans at LCB

Abraxas

Why?

We've finally put a few performances together, at least in attacking terms we look okay, now we're going to go to a stodgy 3-5-2 which frankly we've never been convincing in...

I think that's a greater evil than playing a dodgy left back.

ArbeitervonWien

Im no fan of Amrabat, but his best performances for us were his first couple of appearances where he was nominally the LB and asked to push up into midfield.

Given we’ve done that a bit this season with Dalot being asked to push up into midfield, I’d just do that and avoid the whole 352 thing.
Yes, this is what I'd do too, after watching Lindelof against Luton.

MrBest

The last thing we should do is switch formation. Finally have some consistency in formation, in play although not perfect the progress is evident. For left back, it is what it is, we can play Lindeloff, Amrabat or Amas there. Martinez should be back by April, hopefully, he can also play there.

352 is just a disaster and reeps panic, has not worked for us before and don't see why it will now. Also, only Dalot could play a wide role, I can't see anyone else being capable enough to play the role, certainly not Antony. Antony's best place is the bench right now.