Inside Manchester United’s failures since Sir Alex Ferguson: from penny-pinching to missing out on Jürgen Klopp

bushyzor

For people who don’t subscribe to news websites, if you go to archive.ph and put the article URL in 99% of the time the article comes up
Thank you so much for sharing this! I’ve been looking for something like this for ages!

Jo_Jo

The part about the lack, or the absence of structure in the club should be the main concern more than anything. Every manager would feel being left alone against the players if he doesn't have a strong, established, winning structure behind him.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It's likely Cavani. Ralf said he knows his body and decides when he's ready. Also once said Cavani trained then decided he wouldnt play.
There was an article stating how Martial pulled out multiple times before games, sometimes the night before the game. To the point where Rangnick sent Ewan Sharp to ask him if he was fit before he’d name his team sheet. He often complained of stomach problems, but they could never verify anything.

It’s definitely Martial.

DavelinaJolie

Am I imagining this but I'm sure at some point there was something about AWB going AWOL.

Telsim

Hasn't there been enough of these negative articles already, bored of it now. It's a new era under ETH now, big changes to staff and club structure have been made. Let's look forward and see how it goes.
:rolleyes:

RedBanker

I love you Ole
There was an article stating how Martial pulled out multiple times before games, sometimes the night before the game. To the point where Rangnick sent Ewan Sharp to ask him if he was fit before he’d name his team sheet. He often complained of stomach problems, but they could never verify anything.

It’s definitely Martial.
Mourinho was an ass for several reasons but not for wanting to get rid of Martial. He identified viruses from a mile away.

Lentwood

Woodward was uniquely bad at his job
This is what the press and the rest of the footballing World haven't understood. We have had a bloke who knows less than the average forum member running our club for 15 years .

They have yet to realise that the resurgence of United began the day Woodward left.

Laurencio

This article is just depressing. How not to run a football club basically. At least we have a pretty detailed understanding of what not to do...

Eddy_JukeZ

That bit about docking 1 pound from Ibra's salary is actually embarrassing.

Woodward/Glazers turned us into the laughingstock of team sports honestly. The downfall has been tremendous.

I honestly don't know if we can ever get back to the top with the Glazers. They are just terrible.

clarkydaz

Woodward/Glazers turned us into the laughingstock of team sports honestly. The downfall has been tremendous.

I honestly don't know if we can ever get back to the top with the Glazers. They are just terrible.
i dont understand how the club does things like that, yet still hand out ridiculous wages/contracts to whoever can tie their bootlaces

Laurencio

"Welcome Mr Ibrahimovic, 400k weekly wage! Wait, did you just grab a bottle of juice from the fridge? We're going to have to deduct that from your salary."

RedBanker

I love you Ole
For all his failings....if only we could have got Klopp to join, Woodward would still be here and hailed as a hero.

Water Melon

For people who don’t subscribe to news websites, if you go to archive.ph and put the article URL in 99% of the time the article comes up
Thank you ever so much. Really appreciate that.

stw2022

The penny pinching seems to be from Woodward trying to impress the owners rather than the owners penny pinching

Brophs

The One and Only
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...hing-to-missing-out-on-j-rgen-klopp-ps3hk5j2k

"Rangnick chose not to go into specifics but he could have mentioned: the player who went Awol from training, returned with profuse apologies, then skipped practice again citing a personal crisis; the player briefing against the club captain, Harry Maguire; the player who continually declared himself unfit to play on the eve of games; the player the coach just couldn’t get through to, because he was so withdrawn; and the player who stood on the burning deck declaring that training should just be fun."

Any guesses?

I'm going Lingard, Bailly, Cavani, Rashford and Pogba.
I’d swap Martial for Rashford but beyond that I’d say you’re bang on.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Another problem is that our so called "Technical Director" was on the training pitch when all these things were happening this season.
What is his role?

Last edited:

The Impossible Team

Thank you, @gormless yes it worked, once I put the URL address link as you clearly state and not copied text, which I did at first :obeing a bit "gormless"

Article only goes to further cement Woodward's "legendary" reputation, although that cement could have been used for better purpose in regards to Dick-Ed.

So glad he's gone ... but the leeches that facilitated the idiot are still there. Although Woodward actually made them look even shittier, (if that's even possible) than they already were. As someone said it's absolutely criminal, what he's done, almost murdered the club, the egotistical maniac, then walked away, scot-free with a golden handshake for all his great efforts.

But we can only hope, and recent actions suggest it could be true, that Arnold, Murtough, Fletcher & Co. are now actually being allowed to run a football club and not a circus.

ETH might actually have a chance.
We go again!!

Moriarty

Hasn't there been enough of these negative articles already, bored of it now. It's a new era under ETH now, big changes to staff and club structure have been made. Let's look forward and see how it goes.
Right. Let's just sweep Woodward's tenure under the carpet and move on. Rah rah Erik...

Kellyiom

Am I imagining this but I'm sure at some point there was something about AWB going AWOL.
There was a story about it but I thought it was connected to the driving without insurance thing.

I think it's martial but lingard also asked to be out of the team as well.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Woodward will go down as the worst ED in elite football history.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If ever there's an article that you know absolutely nothing positive will come from reading!!

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
"However, a well-placed source suggests he regretted sanctioning the Ronaldo signing, which had been a club idea and did not fit with what he was trying to build."

This is something I always thought. Ole never wanted Ronaldo and the main reason we signed him was preventing him going to City. It was all a fake IMO and United bought it.

Suedesi

I agree with your guesses

any way I can read this article?
https://archive.ph/4OYAp#selection-964.0-964.1

“Very old fashioned. Very bureaucratic. A big surprise.” Within weeks of starting as manager in the summer of 2016, Mourinho had told friends the challenge of bringing trophies to Old Trafford involved far more than reinvigorating a squad where too many players had grown comfortable with failing to win.

How do you explain one of the richest clubs in football, an institution that had invested tens of millions in its training ground and sports science facilities, informing the man they’d hired to reclaim the Premier League title that one of his key summer signings could not undergo out-of-hours hydrotherapy in Carrington’s rehabilitation pool because no lifeguard was available to oversee the session?

It was the same story when Mourinho, working long days at United’s training ground, wished to use its gym after hours. Not permitted without proper supervision. When he wanted to change his desk in the manager’s office or gift a signed shirt to a guest, each and every expense, no matter how petty, had to be approved by the club’s hierarchy. Welcome to a Glazer-run company.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic, the forward Mourinho signed to lead a dysfunctional dressing room by example, was similarly shocked. “Everyone thinks of United as a top club, one of the most powerful in the world, and seen from the outside it looked that way to me,” Ibrahimovic wrote last year. “But once I was there I found a small, closed mentality.”

Ibrahimovic cites United deducting £1 from his salary for drinking hotel-room fruit juice on first-team duty; and being “asked to show my papers just to get into the training ground”. “I’d lower my window and say to the person at the gate: ‘Listen my friend I’ve been coming here every day for a month. I’m the best player in the world. If you still don’t recognise me, you’re in the wrong job.’ ”

:houllier: :eek::houllier:

Last edited: