International managers - the leftovers of club football?

Skills

Snitch
Is there a current international manager who'd be in line for a job at a top club? Obviously Flick is taking over Germany after Löw goes - so he'd have some clubs after him.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Deschamps and Mancini could easily get jobs at biggish clubs. They won't, because they want to coach the national teams

Roberto Martinez is weirdly rated in Spain too

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Absolutely and it pains me to see how many clueless French people actually believe Deschamps is a top 5 manager in the world or some nonsense like that when he'd get sacked within 2 months at literally any top club.

Sarri had a great quote in 2018 about not even bothering to watch the WC because he had nothing to learn from it

BlackShark_80

Is there a current international manager who'd be in line for a job at a top club? Obviously Flick is taking over Germany after Löw goes - so he'd have some clubs after him.
Probably only Mancini.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Gareth Southgate is apparently discussing terms with Levy.

The terms they're discussing are "solipsism", "ennui" and "peripatetic".

Neither of them know what they mean.

Pep's Suit

I think only Mancini and Luis Enrique would be wanted by one of bigger clubs (Spurs, Everton, Napoli, Lazio etc.).

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I think only Mancini and Luis Enrique would be wanted by one of bigger clubs (Spurs, Everton, Napoli, Lazio etc.).
Roberto Martinez would get a job at that level.

izec

Germany will be an absolute force again, simply by having the best manager.

Currently, Mancini, Deschamps and Löw are the only ones a top club might be interested in.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Would he? He is pretty crap. More a Brighton sort of manager imo.
Martinez is a B tier manager at best. He is liked by the media because of these flavor words like “philosophy”. Similar to Arteta in a way. Always chuckle when he gets linked to Barcelona etc. Then again they hired Koeman who is also a crap manager and ironically another ex Everton manager.

Southgate didn’t exactly do much as a club manager and didn’t show anything to suggest he would be more capable a better team. He is simply a bland FA lackey who couldn’t offend anyone and was therefore the only viable candidate after Fat Sams bungs.

Deschamps did well with Monaco but I struggle to think his type of teams would be sort after by elite clubs.

Luis Enrique could get a Sevilla type job. Can’t see him returning to the elite either.

So yeah.. Mancini is the best of the lot. Low did fantastically well with a great group of players but as a manager I don’t believe he was the reason for their success.

Reactions: Cheimoon

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah, occasionally you get a top manager that wants that lifestyle and the chance but the majority will pick club football and you get the leftovers at international football. Whenever a big manager comes in, they have a huge impact usually.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Can't see Löw getting hired by a top club. His experience as a club manager is far too slim for anyone to take the gamble. Also, he's not that good and most people know this. I'm also not sure if he wants to stay in the business as a coach anyways since he's already 61. Sure, that's no age for a coach generally speaking, but considering he spent most of his carreer as a coach of Germany's national team, it'd be a huge change in terms of lifestyle, pace and all in all a big challenge. He doesn't strike me as someone that would throw his whole life around at 61.

Chairman Steve

Most international manager jobs seem to be either a great first job to build experience or a great last job to build pension.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I guess he's good for an international coach, but in my opinion Mancini is way overrated in England.

Skills

Snitch
I guess he's good for an international coach, but in my opinion Mancini is way overrated in England.
It's just revisionism based on this WC run. He's been a complete non-factor in the 7 years and he left City after losing a cup final to Wigan.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It's just revisionism based on this WC run. He's been a complete non-factor in the 7 years and he left City after losing a cup final to Wigan.
Even at City his biggest success internationally was something like ro16 in the EL. Has he even coached a CL QF?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
00's Hiddink was probably the last (medium/long term) top tactical manager at international level, top managers just don't seem to want to wait so long in between games.

Which brings me to another idea, why don't we let club managers manage nations in tournaments (and let the coaching staff do the in season qualifayers which are practically bye's for top nations these days especially the Euro qualifayers)? It's probably not logistically possible as too many clubs will veto it (sending their players to rival managers) but imagine how much better these tournaments will be with Klopp/Tuchel, Pep, Conte etc on the touchline as opposed to what we have now. The closest to a proper club level tactical manager in this tournament is Mancini and so far it's showing, likewise in Euro 2016 when Conte outsmarted Wilmots, Del Bosque and panicked Low into changing his entire system to against him despite having a vastly inferior side to all three.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Has been for quite some years. At best it's used as a stepping stone or more like a temporary solution to build yourself back (see Enrique, Conte), and these kind of coaches are usually the best of the lot. It says a lot that washed up club managers like Deschamps or Mancini are still the best in the competition.