Inverness trial Man Utd's Barnes

air_mood

Looked good when he came down to Malaysia for the CYC. Him, Hewson and Brandy stood out in particular.

RedPhil1957

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/i/inverness_ct/7267080.stm

Manchester United reserve team player Michael Barnes has joined Inverness Caledonian Thistle with a view to securing a permanent deal.

The 19-year-old winger will be released from his Old Trafford contract in the summer having progressed through the youth team to the reserve squad.

Shame....I liked Barnsey. :(

he seems to have gone backwards since last season, don't know why it happens like that with some players

julesee

shame indeed.... id have thought he can do better than Inverness

Coca Cola

One balled wonder
Apparently he was quite bad at Chesterfield and they terminated his contract early. That definitely didn´t help him in his search for a new club.

But just from watching the reserves he´s obviously a talented player. Hope he does well wherever he goes.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Apparently he was quite bad at Chesterfield and they terminated his contract early. That definitely didn´t help him in his search for a new club.

But just from watching the reserves he´s obviously a talented player. Hope he does well wherever he goes.
Good luck to him. Not sure he was all that talented, mind you. But he was quick as feck and plenty good enough to end up at a better club than Inverness, in another few years time.

PS18

more like the ginger Luke Chadwick to be fair. makes a change for me to be right about one of our kids (David Jones was going to be the new messiah, i was sure of it :() but i could never see what the big deal was when people raved about Barnes. he's quick, pretty direct, relatively decent crosser of the ball but there's very little else there. he's the sort of player who will always stand out in reserve football (especially these days) but put him up against a full-back with any pace or intelligence in a truly competitive environment and he'll struggle - when knocking the ball past the full-back and running onto it isn't working there's no plan B there, no guile. gotta be big question marks over the mental side to his game too - rabbit in headlights was the expression that sprung to mind when he played in the league cup against Crewe and the expression that i saw used a number of times to describe his appearances for Chesterfield.

Inverness Caley would be a very good move for him, about as good as he could hope for at this stage and to be honest it'd surprise me if he ever went onto better things. wouldn't surprise me if they don't take him on actually - ICT have to be roughly on a par with Chesterfield and he totally bombed there.

julesee

more like the ginger Luke Chadwick to be fair. makes a change for me to be right about one of our kids (David Jones was going to be the new messiah, i was sure of it :() but i could never see what the big deal was when people raved about Barnes. he's quick, pretty direct, relatively decent crosser of the ball but there's very little else there. he's the sort of player who will always stand out in reserve football (especially these days) but put him up against a full-back with any pace or intelligence in a truly competitive environment and he'll struggle - when knocking the ball past the full-back and running onto it isn't working there's no plan B there, no guile. gotta be big question marks over the mental side to his game too - rabbit in headlights was the expression that sprung to mind when he played in the league cup against Crewe and the expression that i saw used a number of times to describe his appearances for Chesterfield.

Inverness Caley would be a very good move for him, about as good as he could hope for at this stage and to be honest it'd surprise me if he ever went onto better things. wouldn't surprise me if they don't take him on actually - ICT have to be roughly on a par with Chesterfield and he totally bombed there.

I expect you're right for the most part. But how many games did he play at Chesterfield? It's tough to run the rule over a kid after just a few games. He likes to ball at his feet... perhaps they were long ball merchants? (I dont know)