Inverted Wingers

tob

I'm pretty sure at West ham antony was on the left and garnacho on the right. I just think the players are not being told to get the ball in the box. They are being told to take a man on and cut inside, look for the shot first and if not, find Bruno or mctom on the edge of the box. It's all too predictable.
That was just for a brief moment, I think in the first half. There was a stoppage of play for some reason and they switched back.
I was hoping they were trying something, but I don't think they even got into an offensive play during that moment.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
It’s pointless having inverted wingers when one of them is turn back tony, the point of them is to drive into the box not to turn back and slowing down our progression.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
SAF didn’t play with classic “wingers “ post 2004-5. There’s a reason for that.
SAF played classic wingers till the date he retired. We had Nani and then Valencia who played as LW. We had Nani playing as RW and someone like Young, Welbeck, Rooney or others who played as inverted winger on left side but on right side it was Nani and Valencia.

The Urban Goose

Personally, I truly detest the concept. Everyone wants to use it yet most wide forwards are rank shit at the role and just make their sides predictable, slowing down attacks and kill width making it impossible to stretch teams. In addition to most of them playing it like strikers and trying to score themselves or get into scoring position. I will never understand why natural side wingers ever went out of style.

Personally I agree with both Shearer and you. I'd prefer us to play Anthony wide left and a Garnacjho or Rashford wide right. So that then can get outside their full back and just concentrate on good early crosses into the box. After all most fullbacks are just dreadfull at dealing with crossing. I'd expect us to get much joy from it. On top of being able to truly stretch teams even if they dared use a low block....
Completely agree. Or at least make them switch flanks every so often. We used to do this a loy with Giggs popping up on the right during a match just to change things up a bit.

stevoc

You won't get a Ten Hag to even try Antony or Garnacho on the opposite flanks.
I stand corrected, it turns out Erik can try new things.

Garnacho as I've been saying for months should have been tried on the right. For me he's done more tonight than Rashford or Antony have did there all season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I stand corrected, it turns out Erik can try new things.

Garnacho as I've been saying for months should have been tried on the right. For me he's done more tonight than Rashford or Antony have did there all season.
I think he would have been the RW start of season had we had a fit striker

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Because Rashford had to play as the 9 and Garnacho poor performances in the first few games is what cost hima bit at the start of the season.

I think he would have started the season and so would have Rashford.

stevoc

Because Rashford had to play as the 9 and Garnacho poor performances in the first few games is what cost hima bit at the start of the season.

I think he would have started the season and so would have Rashford.
Yeah you could be right actually mate.

UnitedFan93

Absolutely hate watching United play with inverted wingers. So boring and narrow and isn't United at all. Can we revert back to what made United successful and entertaining? Traditional wingers in a 4-4-2 (4-4-1-1 in the big games). Understand that it is currently the trend in football to play with inverted wingers but it is shite to watch.