Irene Guerrero | World Cup winner signs from Atlético

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
26-year old Spanish midfielder has signed for United. Guerrero was one of Spain’s captains leading them to World Cup glory, although she only came on as a sub in three of their matches.

The experienced midfielder has represented Real Betis (106 appearances/6 goals), Levante (54/4) and Atlético de Madrid (26/0) in her career thus far. 13 assists in 76 league matches for Betis, six of which in her last season there. She made four UWCL appearances for Levante.

Guerrero converted her penalty in the Copa de la Reina final when Atleti beat rivals Real Madrid in the shootout.

168cm tall Guerrero made her international debut in 2019 and has 16 caps and 4 goals for Spain. She’s a childhood Betis fan. I found an inspiring Guardian article about Guerrero and her background here.

Vilde Bøe Risa has moved to the opposite direction.

¡Bienvenida!

ps. Wonder if this means we’ve conceded the race for Cooney-Cross.

top1whoisman

Scout
Irene Guerrero:
“I feel very happy and very privileged to be here.

“I am very proud to be part of the Manchester United family and look forward to achieving all our goals together.”

Marc Skinner:
“Irene is a World Cup winner whose quality is an excellent addition to our team.

“The experience she brings, both domestically and internationally, will be key as we pursue success across the multiple competitions we face this season.

“We are delighted to bring a player of Irene’s stature to Manchester United Women.”

Polly Bancroft:
“Irene’s signing is the latest example of the ambition of Manchester United Women, and we cannot wait to see her pull on our famous red shirt and entertain our magnificent fans – at home and in Europe.”

Grande

It will be interesting to see how she can contribute to our play in midfield. If she is as hardworking and comfortable in passing as is my impression, it might suit Skinner’s brand of football very well.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
We should be signing the Spanish number 6 instead

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Hasn't she been mostly injured this season? How many times has she actually been available and not played

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Hasn't she been mostly injured this season? How many times has she actually been available and not played
Hard to know. She wasn't available until October, then missed November due to a knee injury. We know she's spent quite a few matches on the bench or available, but we don't really know which of those games she was ready to start, or to play significant minutes in.

It's more the description of the reasoning that Skinner gives that's interesting. Because I don't see where she gets that United/WSL experience.

From where I'm sitting - he doesn't bring her on when we're doing well, because we're playing well. He doesn't bring her on when we're playing badly, because he needs goals and goes to his supersub goalscorers. Which basically means she's waiting for Zelem and Toone to get injured simultaneously - and I'm hoping that never happens :D

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Skinner explains why Irene has played 27 minutes in the WSL for us. Kind of.

Does this mean he'd also stick Bonmati on the bench for a year, because she might not be equipped to deal with Brighton's midfield?

Demon Barber

They just have to fit in with how we play. Because as we all know, the way we play wins trophies.

Something like that.
Yeah, something like that. I fall asleep listening to him, and feel the same way reading his words.

top1whoisman

Scout
A whopping total of 26 minutes of WSL football. Another 126 minutes in the cups. If you’re not going to play them, might as well have academy players on the bench.