Is a fit in-form Jones ahead of Maguire?

dinostar77

Maguire is the epitomey of everything thats wrong with utd. Simple awful, very very average player, no good enough for a top 4 team.

GlasgowCeltic

I believe they are they same person. Never seen in the same lineup. Like Clark Kent and Batman. i did it on purpose.
Got the same theory about Wes Brown and Smalling, apparently they were teammates for a spell but in my head Wes left the club for ten years and then turned up as Smalling

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
I genuinely think he should be above Maguire and we should have never bought Maguire, he could have even played DM the last year and it would have worked better than Mctominay

r1z3mu

Maguire is above Jones but not by much (isn't it shocking). And it tells you a lot about Maguire. :lol:

Red-17

Funny how people are willing to assume that Jones could ever regain form from 5+ years ago but fail to believe Maguire could play as well as he did just 1 season previous.

Jones is just another example of someone who's reputation is improved by not playing. People always think so and so couldn't possibly be worse than what we currently have.

Polar

Maybe, but if so Jones isn’t fit in form yet because else he would’ve played. Maguire hasn’t been great, but isn’t his fault he is the best or second best CB at United.

People tend to think we have better CB options in the squad. Can three managers be so wrong, and why should a supporter know better?

At the same time it’s a fair chance ETH doesn’t play Maguire on Monday, so maybe things are about to change.

Boondog

Maguire reminds me of Jaws of Moonraker fame. Moves like him too.

Amanda Hugginkiss

It's like being asked, would you rather get your wisdom teeth pulled or you balls booted for a week

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I genuinely think he should be above Maguire and we should have never bought Maguire, he could have even played DM the last year and it would have worked better than Mctominay
Say what you like about Maguire, but he's probably played 150 games or so for United since arriving.
Jonesy has been fit for about 15 of those.

AdNani

how long have we ever had a fit and in form Jones? 5 months?

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
What is a fit and in form Phil Jones like cause don't think I've watched him play in the last four years!?

Lost bear

First thread in the mains, take it easy on me ladies and gents.

Seeing the training photos from this week I had a wave of nostalgia seeing Jones and remembering our last title, which he was a part of. Sure, he's had his lapses and been injured the majority of time here. But if he could find a swansong of fitness and form for a couple of seasons, I think he'd be one of our defensive mainstays.

Does he get ahead of Maguire? I think so. Partly because I became lost my patience with him after his comments this past season. I can forgive mistakes and bad form give the state of the club, but that kind of arrogance is everything I've hoped to be rooted from the club.

If we don't sign a defender, I sure as heck hope to see Phil Jones at his best. Him and a fully fit Varane would be my pairing of choice with the current squad.
He might be…if he existed.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Yeah and Rio & Co would also be miles ahead of Maguire (and of all our other CBs) if they were a few years younger.
Really don’t get the point of threads like this.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
In answer to OP, not really. What he has on Maguire is that he actually loves to defend and will go into everything. Which is also a downside, at least with regards to decision making. Wasn't he playing semi-regularly when we played Chelsea in the FA Cup Final under Mourinho and he had a mare? That's the last time I remember him playing as a semi regular. He wasn't anywhere near good enough. Nor was Smalling, or any of the other defenders we had at the time.

Over the last number of years Maguire in those two years under Ole prior to last season he has been our best defender. Not amazing, just always fit and pretty decent. A change of style for the team coinciding with his confidence at rock bottom, and he's not the same player anymore. Hopefully he'll improve quite a bit with a (hopefully) functional midfield ahead of him. But the high line is a major problem.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Not sure what an in-form Jones looks like tbh.

redmanx

Why is Phil Jones still at United? Why are people on this forum talking about him? Jones best years were a very long time ago now and any half decently run club would have sold him or let him ago probably 5 years ago. Jones once had great potential but sadly was and is injury prone. He should no longer even be considered for the bench. Perhaps if he moves to a club in a lower league he might kick start his career, and I wish him all the best if thats the case, but we can no longer indulge him at United.

m1tch

A fit and in-form Jones is the same as a fit and in-form Bailley. Ignoring that there are a number of comets that we see more often, they both have a crowd lifting all action style, not bad on the ball, but also capable of absolute clangers.

As someone else said, at least Maguire is available each week. If any one of Jones or Bailley could play 35/38 games in a league season then we probably wouldn't have signed him. If Varane could do the same then we'd probably not see him in the starting 11 much going forward.

I don't think we need to use hypotheticals to criticise Maguire further. He's become really unpopular for reasons that are his fault (form, post-match interviews, ear cupping embarrassment) and some that aren't (transfer fee, being given the captaincy).

The1974s

I really don't like knocking United players but sometimes we just have to be honest. Maguire has been badly exposed at United for nearly 2 years and the manager would be doing everyone a huge favour by dropping him. He reminds me on Schneiderlin as he was outstanding for a smaller team then came to United and when he was asked to do more than what he was doing at his former club he just wasn't able to.
The decision to make him captain was mental and probably the reason he has played as many times for us.

Theo88

Phil scored some amazing own goals that has to be said.

Other than that cant remember when was the last time he he was fit to play, i do remember waiting eagerly for game night when he came back from a 2 year (?) injury. And he didn’t disappoint.

Do we even know what’s wrong with this lad ?

Sviken

Jones has never disappointed me when playing. He has clownish moments when playing but overall he is pretty solid. He's better than Maguire, but the problem is - he's pretty much never available. You can't exactly rely on him

lex talionis

Why is Phil Jones still at United? Why are people on this forum talking about him? Jones best years were a very long time ago now and any half decently run club would have sold him or let him ago probably 5 years ago. Jones once had great potential but sadly was and is injury prone. He should no longer even be considered for the bench. Perhaps if he moves to a club in a lower league he might kick start his career, and I wish him all the best if thats the case, but we can no longer indulge him at United.
Jones is still on the roster, that's why. The past is the past and here we are now.

Incredibly, Jones is still only 30 years old. He had one outing last season, against Wolves I believe, and he was MOTM. No, that doesn't mean he's the next Vidic. Unless another club is willing to take him on a free transfer he's going to be on our roster. Between Maguire and Jones, it's actually a close call as to who I'd rather start over the other. If he can avoid getting injured in training, that is.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Is Sir Philip still at the club? I thought we are going to sell/loan him, but this might probably turn out impossible.