Is a United voice heard by the powers that be or do the fans overestimate their importance in the grand scheme of things?

K Stand Knut

Who started the Ed woodward Chants? They disappeared soon as Bruno was signed
I have no idea who physically started them but based on the evidence that no other people start them, I’d have to guess at TRA.

But, ultimately, they are made up of normal fans. And, like everyone knows, they’re as fickle as anybody in, or out of, the ground on match day.

They just happen to have more to lose than any other fans.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The thing is do we know what we want? We only make this noise when signings aren't made but if we get Dembele on Monday and he scores a goal on debut all would be forgiven until the next failure.
Of course our fans know what they want. They want to be the best. Only then will this club be fully deserving of their support. No owner is too corrupt, no background too questionable, as long as they spend fortunes on players.

Hammondo

The only ways fans opinions matter is if they stop going to the matches and stop watching their games. Otherwise they don't matter at all.

Nikolas

They definitely overestimate their power. Most of them own 0.00% of the club, but they want to change the CEO of the club. Some of them even want to influence takeover of the club. That's bizarre.

Most of them are just longtime customers of the company, who liked its products, but they don't like them anymore. They are used to the products, and because of the commitment and consistency principle, it is hard for them to stop consuming those products.

Like in any sport, the main product is entertainment. If they are not satisfied with the products, but want to continue consuming the same amount of entertainment, they can purchase the same products (football matches, etc.) from other companies, or they can consume some other forms of entertainment (movies, video games, reality shows, following social media influencers etc.). But that change is not easy for them, and they continue purchasing products they don't like, in hope that something will change soon.

It is not advisable to spend too much time consuming entertainment.

RUCK4444

The problem is though, what do we want after the Glazers leave?

I was one of very few that seemed ok with a potential Saudi takeover because in my opinion they are one of the few elite who can:
A) Afford us
B) Spend more than we have under the Glazers.

In all likelihood any owner that seeks a financial return on the purchase of United would take even more money out of the club than the Glazers already do (unless it were the Saudi’s or similar.)

The grass may not be greener and that is why I was ok with the Saudi’s buying us from a purely selfish perspective regarding the club and what we could do with an owner that doesn’t seek a financial return on their investment.

Hammondo

The problem is though, what do we want after the Glazers leave?

I was one of very few that seemed ok with a potential Saudi takeover because in my opinion they are one of the few elite who can:
A) Afford us
B) Spend more than we have under the Glazers.

In all likelihood any owner that seeks a financial return on the purchase of United would take even more money out of the club than the Glazers already do (unless it were the Saudi’s or similar.)

The grass may not be greener and that is why I was ok with the Saudi’s buying us from a purely selfish perspective regarding the club and what we could do with an owner that doesn’t seek a financial return on their investment.
What owners take out of their club more than the glazers?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What is a ‘United voice?’ ‘Sign Sancho?!’ I think the powers that be have heard that one.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
TV money may drop as a result of covid.

When Adidas and Chevrolet deals run out we'll be close to a decade without even a league title challenge and no guaranteed CL footy year in year out. We've always made record breaking deals with shirt sponsorship and kit manufacturers.

There is no on-pitch reasons why we should be making record breaking deals in the next couple of years, when both are due. That could hurt Glazers.

RUCK4444

What owners take out of their club more than the glazers?
Ok I’ll ask again, who can afford United and won’t want a return on that astronomical investment?

Who can afford £3bn and not want anything back?

I’m afraid you will find the answer is nobody.

The leveraged buyout cost the Glazers nothing so dividends is what they call down, anybody spending that insane amount of money as the outlay will want far more than what the Glazers are currently taking as dividends. Unless it was the Saudi’s.

We are longing for better owners that don’t exist in our clubs price range, we are stuck with them, sad state of affairs.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The club dangles its huge fan base to sponsors when pitching deals, so of course the same fan base has influence if it speaks with one voice over a sustained period. I don't see how a sponsor would want to be associated with a club at war with its fans and who are targeting the same sponsor for this association.

The thing is do we know what we want? We only make this noise when signings aren't made but if we get Dembele on Monday and he scores a goal on debut all would be forgiven until the next failure.
that’s the thing. After this and the last few windows (Ighalo, leaving Bruno till the end of the next window, maguire ditto etc) and the players who’ve recently signed deals being let go for free it’s pretty clear the chain of command is broken and it goes way beyond the manager. I would imagine the glazers are also as much of a problem as Ed and Matt as they will neither lead nor follow. They dither. Protest until the football is taken out of their hands. I think everyone can agree on that? They’ve done such a terrible job on a huge budget. It’s criminal.

Skills

Snitch
Of course it is. This fanbase managed to keep Mourinho from being sacked back in October and cost the club CL football.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
The glazers would prefer the hard-core fans to walk away from the club and the plastic fans to come in and spend more money on day trips for matchday experience and then in the megastore. So long as there's demand theres always 5 people wanting to take your place

johnny1980

Never underestimate people power
But to get every fan worldwide on board and protest at the same time over a sustained period of time is very unlikely
In my opinion it would work and cause brands to start leaving man utd and maybe cause the leeches to think about selling but i highly doubt it will happen.
But i can dream.