Is Anthony Elanga the real deal?

RC89

I’m not sure, I think he lacks the technique, I see him progressing into a fullback role.

A poster said you can only be in our squad if you have Greenwood talent is rubbish, we never had this when SAF was around. No team really had this partly because Greenwood is an exceptional talent.

Sometimes you need players like Fred, Mctominay, Fletcher, O’shit, Brown, Hernandez, Welbeck, Lindelof, To come in and do a job.
A brilliant servant of the club and a very useful player. O'Shea could have been a starter for many PL teams and to top it off he played wherever he was asked to, with good effect I might add.

Outrageous insult to a 5 X Pl, 2 X League cup, 1 X FA Cup, 1 X CL winner for us. He also made ~400 appearances for the club and would certainly make it into this squad.

Oh, he also nutmegged Figo.

DSG

Only in the Caf will a thread about Elanga turn into a debate over who was more valuable, Scott McTominay or John O’Shea! :houllier:

I’m confused by the posters who were saying that Elanga’s technique is off. He showed marvelous technique on his two goals, one right footed, one left. I agree he had a couple of heavy touches on his breakaway opportunities, but I see that as nerves vs technique issues — Rashford has that from time to time.

The most encouraging thing to me was watching Elanga’s movement off ball. He has a good sense of which runs to make, which to me is often an overlooked skill. The mere fact that his runs are creating chances is an incredibly good sign and shows he may have a chance to make it in the PL.

People are saying Danny Welbeck, but to me he’s much better at in the box movement and in the final 3rd.

To be frank, only watched him in 3 or 4 matches, so….

Balljy

I had to go and look up James Wilson

He began his career with Manchester United, and was at the club's Academy for ten years before he signed his first professional contract at the age of 17. He has also represented England at the under-16, under-19, under-20 and under-21 levels. He scored two goals on his Premier League debut in March 2014, and played 17 first-team game during the 2014–15 campaign, scoring another two goals.

James Antony Wilson (born 1 December 1995) is an English professional footballer who plays as a forward for EFL League Two club Port Vale.

That is quite sad. Such a fall.
It's worth saying that James Wilson did his cruciate while on loan at Derby and wasn't the same player after an operation on it and a year out. He may not have made it, but something beyond his control is partly behind the fall from grace.

Scholsey2004

He looks pretty good to me. The only problem for him in is, even if Martial doesnt stay long term, Rasford and Sancho are 23 and 21 respectively, Greenwood and Amad are 19 and Shoretire will break through soon. Staying in that group long term could be challenging, theres not a lot of elbow room there.

Andrew7582

He looks pretty good to me. The only problem for him in is, even if Martial doesnt stay long term, Rasford and Sancho are 23 and 21 respectively, Greenwood and Amad are 19 and Shoretire will break through soon. Staying in that group long term could be challenging, theres not a lot of elbow room there.
This is true, he is definitely the least talented of that group. I think the club probably already knows that he is not going to make it here long term, but we are doing the right thing by him in helping him to develop, which at the same time will hopefully boost his value when we sell him.

I was going to say that " I doubt he is making much at Port Vale" but he has just gone there and his salary is not available. He went from Salford City where he was making: Weekly and Annually.

James Wilson£2,100£109,200

You are correct that is still mighty fine money.
Not sure about that. Remember these people sacrifice any sort of real education or experience to be footballers, and by the time they're about 30 their career is over and they have to start from scratch. 100k per year under those conditions is not going to set you up for life. I would hope Elanga has a different attitude to Wilson, and possibly the club has figured out ways to keep these guys better motivated than before. It's early days for Elanga but i always thought Wilson looked too reliant on being quicker than everybody else and that was never going to transfer well to adult football.

Also, John O'Shea was a bloody good player. Workmanlike yes, but extremely effective in the job he was asked to do. You don't play 11 seasons and 400 games under SAF otherwise, and you don't get and maintain the respect of a dressing room full of winners. Find me any ex player or coach who speaks negatively about him. It would be regarded as a big success for any of our academy products to end up being as good as he was.

Hackman2210

Looks pretty good to me - fast, powerful, hard working, good technique and seems to be in the right place at the right time (which is a skill that cannot be understated). You can be the best player in the world but if you have no "knack" for being on the end of things, scoring will be tough for you. Look at Andy cole - terrible techers but great goal scoring record.
Lets give Elanga time - he's only 18 and has 2-3 more years developing yet.

Scholsey2004

This is true, he is definitely the least talented of that group. I think the club probably already knows that he is not going to make it here long term, but we are doing the right thing by him in helping him to develop, which at the same time will hopefully boost his value when we sell him.
I didnt neccesarily say that. I think its a strong group but hes a good player, he's certainly got good pace and strength, can beat a man and has a terrific strike. He's certainly got a good chance.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’m not sure, I think he lacks the technique, I see him progressing into a fullback role.

A poster said you can only be in our squad if you have Greenwood talent is rubbish, we never had this when SAF was around. No team really had this partly because Greenwood is an exceptional talent.

Sometimes you need players like Fred, Mctominay, Fletcher, O’shit, Brown, Hernandez, Welbeck, Lindelof, To come in and do a job.
Scored the winner at Anfield, Cantona'd the invincibles, scored a vital goal in a CL semi final & nutmegged Luis Figo. Where is your respect?

SAF is the GOAT

He's Martial's younger version - Fearless, electric, direct, technical, has pace, lethal dribble and goal scorer.

lsd

The Oracle
Apparently he is a sign of us ignoring our youth policy by taking Daniel James's place in the squad