Is Cristiano Ronaldo a United Legend?

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I was going to say that he has the highest peak of any Man United player ever but I’m not so sure anymore.

Who was the better player; 1968 George Best or 2008 Cristiano Ronaldo?

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Obviously he's a legend, but he's got some stains on his legacy, I guess.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
“Cristiano was the most gifted player I managed,” Ferguson wrote. “He surpassed all the other great ones I coached at United - and I had many."

Dudu

Of course he is.

And I still suspect, at some point he will return to United for one last stint.

Needham

He's a football legend in general, he played football for Manchester United, ergo he is a United legend.

MrEleson

Do we consider Kaka an AC Milan legend? Hazard & Drogba Chelsea legends?

He achieved more for United both on an individual and collective level than the aforementioned did for their clubs. I would even argue he had more impact for United than Henry did for Arsenal and in a smaller time frame too, yet the gunners have a statue of the Frenchman outside their grounds.

He’s undoubtedly a United legend. This shouldn’t even be a question. It should be more where does he rank.

Ryan Bobson

If George Best is then Ronaldo certainly is also , both left the club in their prime , Ronaldo went on to achieve great things where as Best played at Fulham and in the States ...... both club Legends

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Yes he is. Was our star player in one of our most succesfull periods and the first Utd player to win the Ballon D'or. since the Busby babes. He is a United legend. He's just a much greater Real Madrid legend.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Surprised that so many said yes, because im not so sure that he qualifies.
Is 3 world-class seasons(06-09) and leaving as soon as he was able to really legend-material for a club as huge as United?

When i think of a legend, im thinking talent and skill, surely, but also dedication.
That is not to say Ronaldo didnt give 100%, he did, but he always had RM in mind.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Surprised that so many said yes, because im not so sure that he qualifies.
Is 3 world-class seasons(06-09) and leaving as soon as he was able to really legend-material for a club as huge as United?

When i think of a legend, im thinking talent and skill, surely, but also dedication.
That is not to say Ronaldo didnt give 100%, he did, but he always had RM in mind.
I'd still say yes. He's not in the Bobby Charlton tier of legends, but he was too influential in our succes while here and was with us for 6 years. Schmeichel is still a legend despite playing for City later and Denis Law despite scoring a goal that led us towards relegation when he played for City.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Has been done before..
Yes.. of course he is.

Best player I have seen play for United... comfortably.
And its not like he was here for 1 season.. 6 seasons.. won a lot.. Won the Ballon d'Or. Won the CL.. Scored over 40 goals/season 2 seasons running. Has the record for the most league goals scored by us in a season..

If he isnt a club legend, the bar must be really fecking high.
Pretty sure Dennis Viollet holds the record for the most league goals in a season.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Only a legend to those who idolise him. But to me he is not. For me a legend is someone who loves the club and is loved in equal measure. Ronaldo doesn't love Manchester United. He considers himself a Real Madrid legend and rightly so because he loved Real Madrid more than he loves United. I respect his achievements as an elite athlete but I wouldn't ask for his autograph if I met him. However if I saw Messi I would take a picture with him. I would also run chasing down the streets if someone told me Ole Gunnar Solskjaer or Wesley Brown were spotted somewhere downtown.

Before anyone criticizes my post I respect the footballing achievements of Ronaldo, but if my girlfriend dumped me for another guy I wouldn't love her and wouldn't call her a legend either. She can dissaper for all I care
This.

SplitzMagic

To think he left at what 24 and he's a legend and then we've got an almost 28yo kid struggling to even get the bench :lol:

Luke1995

Cristiano Ronaldo is a Manchester United legend. But I don't think he is as loved by the fans as Beckham is. Don't know why

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
He's a legendary player who played for united, but not a united legend as he didn't stay long enough sadly and had his best years elsewhere.

Is a Real Madrid legend and a legend of the game being undoubtedly one of the best 5 footballers ever to play the game.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
OK...so the report talks about the most goals as a midfielder. That's a bit misleading as he played in a front three during 1967/68 just like Ronaldo did in 2007/08.

He played in the same position as David Herd did in 1965/66. So if the article wanted to be accurate then that season Ronaldo broke David Herd's record of 33 goals.

Taylor, Law and Van Nistelrooy were out and out centre-forwards.

George Best never held any actual goalscoring records per se. As you can see below, all these players scored more than 32 goals in a season. So when Ronaldo hit his number it was the highest overall since van Nistelrooy.

34 goals Tommy Taylor 1956/57
46 goals Denis Law 1963/64
39 goals Denis Law 1964/65
33 goals David Herd 1965/66
36 goals Ruud van Nistelrooy 2001/02
44 goals Ruud van Nisterooy 2002/03
42 goals Cristiano Ronaldo 2007/08

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I will never be not bitter when it comes to Ronaldo. I respect the player, he is one of the greatest ever, he was great for United but in my heart he will never be a United legend because he considered and treated this great club as a stepping stone. Most people only consider his level for us which is fine it makes sense, but for me that's not what makes a legend, a legend is about both the rational and irrational, for me it evokes a certain amount of fondness that I don't have for Ronaldo and never will.

Denis79

I will never be not bitter when it comes to Ronaldo. I respect the player, he is one of the greatest ever, he was great for United but in my heart he will never be a United legend because he considered and treated this great club as a stepping stone. Most people only consider his level for us which is fine it makes sense, but for me that's not what makes a legend, a legend is about both the rational and irrational, for me it evokes a certain amount of fondness that I don't have for Ronaldo and never will.
I wasn't laughing because you didn't see him as a legend. Just found the way you said it very amusing.

KeanoMagicHat

If George Best is then Ronaldo certainly is also , both left the club in their prime , Ronaldo went on to achieve great things where as Best played at Fulham and in the States ...... both club Legends
Best played his whole peak at United, he was washed up by the time he left. He just had an early peak. Whereas Ronaldo peaked after United.

I'm always uncomfortable with a legend being considered a bigger legend elsewhere. Which is why Ronaldo is a difficult one. This isn't the case for any other great United player. Law, Best, Charlton, Robson, Schmeichel, Cantona, Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Rooney - all had by far their best years or at United exclusively.

Cait Sith

From a football point of view, of course not. His first 3 seasons were pure development. 18 goals total in his first 3 seasons combined. 06/07 was when he really broke through and started scoring consistently but even then 17 goals in 34 games isn't "legendary" status. 07/08 can be considered "legendary" when he set the PL goalscoring record and won the CL. A season later his performances dipped compared to 07/08 and he asked for a transfer. The end.

Just because he is a huge brand and went on to score 50 goals every year at Real Madrid doesn't make him a United legend based on 1 "legendary" season.

These threads wouldn't even exist if he somehow flopped at Real Madrid à la Kaka. Just backwards projections from his Real Madrid stint, let's be honest.

KeanoMagicHat

Just because he is a huge brand and went on to score 50 goals every year at Real Madrid doesn't make him a United legend based on 1 "legendary" season.

These threads wouldn't even exist if he somehow flopped at Real Madrid à la Kaka. Just backwards projections from his Real Madrid stint, let's be honest.
His United career is quite similar to Luis Suarez at Liverpool, just that Ronaldo had much better players around him at United than Suarez had at Liverpool. If you're picking a team of peak performance, both Ronaldo and Suarez would make their respective all-time teams. But for overall package and meaning to their clubs, they're behind a Giggs or Dalglish player.

diarm

He's one of our greatest ever players (probably top 3) and a legend of the game, but not a United legend for me.

Being a club legend is about more than ability.

Siorac

This again?

Done before and I doubt anything new will be presented here.

But alright, I'll play (out of boredom on a Monday afternoon):

It depends entirely (duh) on how you define the term. But you shouldn't define it as "any player who was bloody good while playing for Manchester United". You shouldn't even define it as "any player who was arguably the best player in the world while playing for Manchester United".

The only possible chance Ronaldo has to make it as a "United legend" is if you place him in the Cantona category, i.e. a player who arrived and proved to be a catalyst on the pitch/the dressing room and/or an obvious symbol of a monumental change taking place.

In my opinion Ronaldo doesn't really make the grade in either above sense. We didn't transform into anything we hadn't been before (in very recent memory, at that, and under the same manager/within the same overall continuity) - and he wasn't a catalyst on the pitch in the Cantona sense either. He was "just" extremely good. Which means exactly that - he was extremely good, but that doesn't make you a "legend". United have a rich history, we're not short on players who were both extremely good AND who qualify for "legend" status in other ways.

If Charlton is the benchmark, Ronaldo comes up short in pretty much every way.

But he also comes up short compared to Cantona. Or Duncan Edwards. Or Gary Neville (who never had a fraction of Ronaldo's talent - and never was anywhere near him in terms of actual quality on the pitch).

People tend to confuse overall quality with "legend" potential. Jaap Stam has been mentioned already: He was a superior player to almost any United CB in history. He's clearly much less of a "United legend" than Steve Bruce, though.
I like it when caftards save me the bother of trying to express my thoughts and feelings in a somewhat coherent matter. These two posts just about nail it.

Ronaldo was a brilliant player for Manchester United and gave me plenty of fond memories; I'm very happy to have seen one of the all-time greats play in the flesh. But I don't consider him a United legend.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He doesn't half care for United as many here think/want that he cares.

Adcuth

Won every trophy available with the club
Won the Ballon Dor with us
The best player I'll ever probably see play live.
Still loves the club

LEGEND

myjdjames

No doubt about that; he played just shy of 200 games and another player who is universally classified as a LEGEND, Eric Cantona - played fewer games (just a little).

I haven't even mentioned his goals yet, and those two 40+ seasons were amazing to watch and still gives me goosebumps when i replay some of the goals he scored. However goosebumps is not a measure as there are plenty goosebumps moments in united last 20 year history.