Is Cristiano Ronaldo a United Legend?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
He's literally never won the EPL "on his own". His only claim would be the 2008 season and that wouldn't apply.

7 seasons in English football with only 1 season leading the league in scoring or assists.
why doesn't it apply? because you don't want it to? 26 goals in that season

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
26 goals isn't winning a league single handedly no matter how much you'd like to be.
I suggest you get your season review out - and work out how many of his goals won matches. and suddenly 26 goals isn't enough - the guys we have now need about four seasons to get that

Ladron de redcafe

I suggest you get your season review out - and work out how many of his goals won matches. and suddenly 26 goals isn't enough - the guys we have now need about four seasons to get that
I watched every match that season and it's apparent that you didn't. Scoring 26 goals as the man who has the entire team create chances for him isn't winning a league single handedly.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I watched every match that season and it's apparent that you didn't. Scoring 26 goals as the man who has the entire team create chances for him isn't winning a league single handedly.
maybe watch again.. and listen to the pundits (oh, and the manager)

Ladron de redcafe

Many people who post on this board are very young and did not follow MUFC in the 2000s, so are unaware of what CR7 means to MUFC.
Many people who post on this board were watching the team at least a decade prior to Ronaldo joined and simply aren't fanboys.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The Sun has this from Rio (who I suppose some would say wasn't very good either)...

• 34 MINUTES AGO
    Ronaldo dejected by lack of transfer activity, says Rio
    Cristiano Ronaldo has been watching the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal make transfer deals all summer whilst Man United have struggled to keep up.
    And this is one of the main reasons Ronaldo wants out from Old Trafford.
    That’s the view of Rio Ferdinand, who said: “He’ll be sitting there, on his sun lounger, on his yacht, on his jet, wherever he is in the world.
    “Seeing Manchester City signing Haaland. Seeing Liverpool signing Nunez, among other players. Phillips has just gone to Manchester City as well.
    “He would be thinking ‘we had work catching these guys, anyway, before these big signings come into these football clubs and now they are jumping even further away from us’.
    “Arsenal are making moves. He’s sitting there thinking ‘when is my team going to start making moves’".

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
The Sun has this from Rio (who I suppose some would say wasn't very good either)...

• 34 MINUTES AGO
    Cristiano Ronaldo has been watching the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal make transfer deals all summer whilst Man United have struggled to keep up.
    That’s the view of Rio Ferdinand, who said: “He’ll be sitting there, on his sun lounger, on his yacht, on his jet, wherever he is in the world.
    “Seeing Manchester City signing Haaland. Seeing Liverpool signing Nunez, among other players. Phillips has just gone to Manchester City as well.
    “He would be thinking ‘we had work catching these guys, anyway, before these big signings come into these football clubs and now they are jumping even further away from us’.
    “Arsenal are making moves. He’s sitting there thinking ‘when is my team going to start making moves’".
Yup, the prospect of Ronaldo leaving is a big blow for Manchester United as he's the only competent striker they have at the moment but he's still a short term stop gap as he's at the dawn of his career. Even with him the team needs another striker as he can't lead the line for the whole season alone.

Him wanting to leave wouldn't be the worst in the grand scheme of things but I would be more worried about him wanting to leave because of the lack of reinforcements. I believe he just wants to pressure the team into making the signings and he's going to stay but if he leaves is because he doesn't trust in the team's ambition and competence to make progress.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Many people who post on this board are very young and did not follow MUFC in the 2000s, so are unaware of what CR7 means to MUFC.
:lol: We are talking about 2007-09, not 1968 ffs.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Everything what he did 2008 and 2009 he tarnished with his later actions.
He is a prick who deserves same treatment as Tevez.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
People don’t seem to get it. This is a divorce and in a divorce anything goes. We’ve loved him from afar after deserting us for personal glory. I won’t say team glory because we were up there as the second best team in the world at the time.
Instead of trying to pit fans against club, just say you want to move on because you expected better for yourself. Don’t get people like Rio coming out in your defence with what you might be thinking. Who cares? We are in restart mode and fans are fed up of siding with players. It’s what got us into all this mess.
People like me believe players deserve the money they get paid , they contribute in various ways to club coffers that some of us are not aware of and rightly deserve their cut.
If we let Ronaldo mark his territory and get away with it. Our new manager is doomed. We either see us as an ETH team or a Ronaldo team. I know which one I can support, the days of him being the identity of a team is gone and should accept it.
Great people should know when to take a back seat. For me if he continues with this, his legendary status diminishes. People like Giggs, Maldini and many others knew when to take a back seat.

Chief123

You clearly fell asleep in most of them because yes he did single handily win us the league that season. Without him, we’d never have won it regardless of how many chances we created.

Ladron de redcafe

You clearly fell asleep in most of them because yes he did single handily win us the league that season. Without him, we’d never have won it regardless of how many chances we created.
Expect that he didn't. And repeating yourself as infinitum isn't going to make it any more true.

tariqo

Supports
barcelona
Can i ask all of Ronaldo’s fanboys here this :

don’t you think what he did in 2009 & now is a definition of disrespect?

he never loved this club it’s all about him & his image … he just came back to use this club to make him relevant again between top 10 players in the world

Reactions: Penna

Ladron de redcafe

Some fans, pleasee...

Let's say 99% of the football fans not just some fans throughout the history, that's the problem with your analysis making you an exceptional case if so called "adaptability" is the most important thing in football, and that's fine but please do not generalize. Almost all fans watch football to see players like Zico, Maradona, Cruyff, Zidane, Messi, Xavi, Modric, Ronaldinho, Baggio, Platini etc. and their wizardry. Technique, creativity, dribbling, passing have always been at the heart of everything in football separating special ones from others as these are very rare qualities and make football exciting & fun to watch.

This adaptability BS only began in this social media age because your guy is significantly inferior in most these areas that make football fun to watch which is why watching your guy for most is boring (He was a very exciting player to watch at United and early time at Real until he decided to become a penalty box striker). Never heard about the adaptability BS for Pele, Maradona, Platini Zico, Gerd Muller, R9, Cruyff, Maldini, Platini, Ronaldinho until your guy entered the scene realizing he cannot compete with the best on technique, creativity, playmaking so decided to become a one-dimensional poacher to maximize his goals output calling this adaptability..

As a United fan, do you truly believe your guy has a strong mentality? To many football fans, your guy revealed how weak his mentality is by trying to jump-ship the moment things go sour two years in a row now. You are confusing narcisstic traits with strong mentality & leadership which is a common thing (there's even academic research on this confusion). For strong mentality and leadership, check players like Keane, Maldini, Totti etc., these guys are the mentally strong true leaders who are not fake or egomaniac & put team interests in front of everything..
Just as your shit only started Ronaldo went to Juventus..

99% my arse . That’s just completely false and shows how biased you are that you think 99% would be against Ronaldo due to him having a lower technical ability.

Mental ability is beautiful, just because your IQ may not see it with your eyes doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.
@Bebestation I can't seem to find an appropriate thread so if you think this would be more suitable in another Ronaldo thread, just link it.

As far as the post goes, he never said that mentality didn't matter. He is disputing that Ronaldo has a great mentality given that Ronaldo has attempted to run from the challenge the moment things got tough over the last two seasons.

EtH

Christ the state of some in this thread. RvP was far more intergal to the league win in 2012 than Ronaldo was in 2008. In a far worse team to boot. I really can’t wait for the cnut to leave again and hope he takes his fanboys with him when he does.

SirMonteyne

It would be tough for him to make a decision. Would he risk his champions league records by staying with us? and also knows he shouldn't risk his world cup chance by changing his team this late. If he stays and risks his CL records, I will buy his shirt first time in my life. I hope he just pressing the board with all this drama, he did it at real Madrid twice.

PSV

If we remove Ronaldo's league goals we'd have 12 points less. In comparison Rooney 8p, Berbatov 6p, Tevez 4p and even Macheda 4p. We won the league by 4 points on a worse goal difference.

We take away ANY of our strikers and we lose the league that year. There's a difference between being the most influential forward and carrying a team.

9 Stone Elvis

Christ the state of some in this thread. RvP was far more intergal to the league win in 2012 than Ronaldo was in 2008. In a far worse team to boot. I really can’t wait for the cnut to leave again and hope he takes his fanboys with him when he does.
twat.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Or some are older and care about the person and how he treated the club.
Club legend isn't only about skills and football abilities.

For me, Ronaldo is definitely a legend in the football history, but not in United's.

Tavern in the town

There’s no such thing as a footballer single-handedly winning his team a league title. This isn’t basketball where you have 5 players on each team for feck’s sake, it’s 11 vs 11 for 38 games a season.

ScholesyTheWise

It's obviously all subjective.

For me he's a legend and I don't even like him and his antiques- never have (and it was super hypocritical of me to celebrate his goals for us, no doubt).

He's a player that United fans will speak about and cherish for years and years- perhaps or most definitely more than G. Nev who's an undoubted legend for his sheer embodiment of the United we used to know a decade or two ago.

Heck, Ronaldo will probably be spoken about more than Giggs and Scholes, who are much "bigger" legends in my eyes...

And for the people who say that he's probably the best player to ever wear our shirt- I don't agree.
One has to judge him as a United legend/icon solely based on his ability for us.

He's one of Real Madrid greatest ever players, if not THE, and his legend status there is obviously off the charts.

For us it's less so, but he's a legend alright. Not all of our legends/icons have to be in the mould of Scholes, Giggs, Keane etc etc.

Last edited:

AndySmith1990

Or some are older and care about the person and how he treated the club.
Club legend isn't only about skills and football abilities.

For me, Ronaldo is definitely a legend in the football history, but not in United's.
Exactly how I feel

predator

Youth NITK
Yes he is. Came to manchester at 18 years old after being brought up on a Portuguese island in the middle of the Atlantic and won the lot. Moved to real madrid after 6 unbelievable years with us and became their highest goalscorer within 9 years.

He does love our club in my opinion. He's spent a fair portion of his life in the North West of England. He is well respected by anyone close to united and is adored by our greatest ever manager.

He's the second greatest footballer of all time and I have no problem with him moving to a team that can actually send him out on a high. He deserves it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
forcing his way out a 2nd time is a no from me.

arthurka

• 34 MINUTES AGO
Yeah Rio he is surely helping out sulking in the sun far away..

el3mel

Not in my eyes, he’s no better than Pogba with his Clash themed “should I stay or should I go” agenda.
Piss off.
He didn’t comeback for any sort of feeling - just the massive hard on £500k per week produces.
I mean I don't think he's a United legend but this comparison is busted. Ronaldo gave United 100 times more than whatever Pogba gave the club, which is almost close to zero.

Ladron de redcafe

Yup.