Is Harry Maguire really better than Smalling and Bailly? Has Woodward got this right?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Maguire is a good player and at 25 years old he's now slowly entering his prime. Also English, which is always good to have IMO as an English club.

If only the fee could have been lower. Because despite the above, the fee is just too high.

Cantona's Collar

And no one outside of a United forum would ever say this.
You'd be surprised. I know a couple of Liverpool fans and a fair few Everton fans that seriously overrate the guy and think we'd be mental to get rid of him.

For the record I think he's an good defender but a poor football player, relatively speaking. I don't really rate Maguire much either though.

stevoc

Pretty sure he was planning to go with 3 at the back. Would have made sense to get Alderweireld then. And ffs, he was hardly 'injured' in the last 2 seasons. And 29 is prime years for a CB, this is not FM where you have to buy 22 year olds always. Besides our CBs are relatively young, so it would have been a very good signing.

If Woodward is now taking up the role of DoF, there are no hopes for this club.
Yeah if only he had signed that one special CB to allow him to play 352 because we don't have enough defenders currently to use it. Just like last year he needed that one winger who he was going to convert into a wing-back to play 352 because we didn't have anyone capable of playing as a wing-back. Or maybe just maybe he isn't planning anything of the sort.

Mourinho will never switch to 352 on a regular basis in my opinion, he has basically said as much. He only said he wanted it as an option last year and then abandoned it, theres been no recent quotes from him to suggest he is thinking of adopting it full time to my knowledge.

Andy_Cole

Yeah if only he had signed that one special CB to allow him to play 352 because we don't have enough defenders currently to use it. Just like last year he needed that one winger who he was going to convert into a wing-back to play 352 because we didn't have anyone capable of playing as a wing-back. Or maybe just maybe he isn't planning anything of the sort.

Mourinho will never switch to 352 on a regular basis in my opinion, he has basically said as much. He only said he wanted it as an option last year and then abandoned it, theres been no recent quotes from him to suggest he is thinking of adopting it full time to my knowledge.
No quotes but we did play all but one game in pre season with 3-5-2.

stevoc

No quotes but we did play all but one game in pre season with 3-5-2.
Wasn't that down to limited personnel though?

As soon as we had a few players available again we switched back to 433 for the Bayern and Leicester games.

Loublaze

ATLien
And no one outside of a United forum would ever say this.
Yea because you know everyone who isn't a member of a United forum. I know Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool supporters who think he's solid. He kept Salah and Kane in his pocket twice each last season

roseguy64

Wasn't that down to limited personnel though?

As soon as we had a few players available again we switched back to 433 for the Bayern and Leicester games.
Pretty much. Formations in preseason mean nothing. Especially when half the first team was not available. Most of the players we had who were first team worthy were CBs so we played more of them.

Andy_Cole

Maguire is a good player and at 25 years old he's now slowly entering his prime. Also English, which is always good to have IMO as an English club.

If only the fee could have been lower. Because despite the above, the fee is just too high.
If we wanted him, it should have been before the World Cup. Or did we make the decision of wanting him because of his impressive World Cup?

hobbers

As was said after the game Leicester had one of the shittest records defending and scoring set pieces last season.

He's vastly overrated as per any England international.

goin4glory

Yea because you know everyone who isn't a member of a United forum. I know Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool supporters who think he's solid. He kept Salah and Kane in his pocket twice each last season
And I know people who thought Cleverly was quality and we should buy Evans back, it's certainly not consensus opinion and I obviously didn't mean literally everyone.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Our CM situation was much more dire than our current CB situation though.

£40m for Matic was far more justifiable than £70m+ on Alderweireld or Maguire.

I’d love to have seen Alderweireld come in but the margin of improvement was far smaller than the Matic transfer and would have likely cost twice as much.
He would have been a huge improvement.

It was a huge mistake not to sign him.

Alderwiereld was the man to sort of the defense and we bottled it at board level.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
He would have been a huge improvement.

It was a huge mistake not to sign him.

Alderwiereld was the man to sort of the defense and we bottled it at board level.
Dont think Toby would have cost 60mil either, Spurs wanted Martial. But Woody wouldnt play ball and wanted to keep his investment, now we have a player who doesnt want to be here looking like he is giving about 50% effort.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
In physical terms, he's better than both. In ability terms, I don't think it would be an upgrade.

Canagel

Harry Maguire wouldn't have been the difference between losing and winning yesterday. Let's put it that way.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
As was said after the game Leicester had one of the shittest records defending and scoring set pieces last season.

He's vastly overrated as per any England international.
You cannot judge individual performance based on a team's performance. Despite of Leicester had one of the poorest records defending & Vardy scored 20 league goals, the fans & the players still voted him as their player of the season. It means they are very happy with his performance.

I watched couple of Leicester & also Hull's game, I know he's very good defender. Being team's best player, English, a centre back who can bring the ball forward, not afraid to do it & physically very good, no wonder Leicester set a very high fees on him.

In today's market, if you want to buy very good defender, you still need to pay a lot of bucks and it can be worthy. Look at how much improvement a 75m van dijk had done to Liverpool (many people doubted the transfer & the fees as well).

Johan07

If anyone thinks that Aldweireld or Maguire would have made one iota of a difference yesterday...: (insert preferred insult). Smalling would have though. We need him back playing. Pronto.

He will never be considered world class or whatever, but he is essential to a Mourinho team.

shaky

If anyone thinks that Aldweireld or Maguire would have made one iota of a difference yesterday...: (insert preferred insult). Smalling would have though. We need him back playing. Pronto.

He will never be considered world class or whatever, but he is essential to a Mourinho team.
Any CB that doesn't brick himself whenever he's on the ball would be a bonus. Alderweireld certainly falls into that category.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Any CB that doesn't brick himself whenever he's on the ball would be a bonus. Alderweireld certainly falls into that category.
Like Lindelof?

humdinger

I don't know whether Harry Maguire would have improved us dramatically, but I do know we have let Jonny Evans and Michael Keane leave for buttons, and replaced them with Rojo, Lindelof and Bailly for nearly £100 million.

While Evans and Keane are not top class players, neither are the replacements. I can understand if Woodward is now a bit wary of spending huge money on centre backs, but most of the damage in this area was done by LVG so seems a shame to shackle Mourinho. Got to hope Jose can get the players he has performing to a much higher level, on a consistent basis.

cyril C

Unfortunately yes. It was basic defending error by the 2x CB on 3 times, on top of the AWOL of our RHS. Smalling and Jones would have avoided all 3 mistakes and goals. It doesn't mean we would have won, simply means we could have avoided terrible goals like this, all of them. Painting Aldweireld or Maguire would be an unfair argument, because any DECENT CB would have done a better job.

Take goal #1 as example, if Lindelof allowed Murray to out-fox him. We are not talking about Suresh, Morata, Salah, but talking about Murray, a Grade B+ striker at best, then Lindelof is simply not acceptable in any EPL club as 1st choice CB, period. i.e. Any 1st choice CB from any EPL club with 2 legs is better than Lindelof.

Ekeke

While I dont think Maguire or Toby would significantly improve us, I also dont think either of them when partnered with Bailly or Lindelof would have put in the performance the two of them put in where they looked like Championship level CBs. Smalling is a better defender than either and Maguire & Toby were way overpriced, but I think we can say that they're both better than Bailly, Lindelof and Rojo

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

Of course they would have! Did you not watch the game where both CB’s were wank? It makes sense then that replacing them with better CB’s would have made a difference to the defensive performance.

Ekeke

Of course they would have! Did you not watch the game where both CB’s were wank? It makes sense then that replacing them with better CB’s would have made a difference to the defensive performance.
We had better CBs on the bench.

Uniquim

Our CM situation was much more dire than our current CB situation though.

£40m for Matic was far more justifiable than £70m+ on Alderweireld or Maguire.

I’d love to have seen Alderweireld come in but the margin of improvement was far smaller than the Matic transfer and would have likely cost twice as much.
I totally agree about Matic, but then there's the Alexis Sanchez deal, where we paid millions + Mkhitaryan. Could've sold Mkhitaryan, and used the money + the insane amount we spend on his wages to buy Alderweireld.

Johan07

Im sorry, but United of today IMO have a system problem more than a player problem. Didnt you watch the game yesterday? We were terrible all over the pitch.

I like both Aldeweireld and Maguire and would have happy to have had one of them in during the window. But neither of them are Varane or Ramos. To think that they are that much better than we have, and that they would have made a siginificant (or any) difference yesterday in a new system, under a new manager and in a new enviroment is naive to me.

Especially as it seems evident to me that the problems we have go way deeper than a new CB.

IMO.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Im sorry, but United of today IMO have a system problem more than a player problem. Didnt you watch the game yesterday? We were terrible all over the pitch.

I like both Aldeweireld and Maguire and would have happy to have had one of them in during the window. But neither of them are Varane or Ramos. To think that they are that much better than we have, and that they would have made a siginificant (or any) difference yesterday in a new system, under a new manager and in a new enviroment is naive to me.

Especially as it seems evident to me that the problems we have go way deeper than a new CB.

IMO.
I get your point, changing a CB wouldn't neccessarily facilitate an improvement when it comes to play outside the defensive third (though having a CB who is a calming presence and doesn't shit the bed when playing it out or attacked can make a big difference). But looking at the goals United conceded, all 3 are entirely avoidable. It's weird that you can watch the game, see the CB's feck up for all 3 goals, and think that a superior CB wouldn't have made a difference. Any half decent CB would have made a difference last night, Bailly and Lindelof were very poor.

Your overarching point I agree with, there are obviously issues with the system that hindered attacking play and displacing a CB isn't going to instantly transform that. But I can't get on board with "If anyone thinks that Aldweireld or Maguire would have made one iota of a difference yesterday...: (insert preferred insult)." It doesn't make sense.

RedorDead21

IMO.
I'm sorry but a quality Jose back 4 and that doesnt happen. I said quality and I know he bought the 2 CBs but they are clearly not of the quality, it's not like he's stubbornly persisting with them and we all saying how can he not see, he's held both hands high and screamed I need new ones......we can punish him for needing to do that.....and we have, by saying No. SO much so we are willing to write off perhaps our best chance of the title in the next 3-4 years...

goin4glory

The only place you will even see this debated is on a United forum, which says it all really. He's miles better than the chuckle brothers.

Cassidy

The only place you will even see this debated is on a United forum, which says it all really. He's miles better than the chuckle brothers.
Thats right, the CB who played in the side with one of the worst defensive records in the league last season is better

Classical Mechanic

Thats right, the CB who played in the side with one of the worst defensive records in the league last season is better
Not this again.

It has been addressed in the Maguire thread a number of times by listing a number of top defenders that came from sides with terrible defensive records the season before they moved.

Cassidy

Not this again.

It has been addressed in the Maguire thread a number of times by listing a number of top defenders that came from sides with terrible defensive records the season before they moved.
He isn't one of them though, as was seen at the world cup.