Is it ever okay to stop supporting your football club

Would you ever switch allegiance from the team you support to another in the same league?

• Total voters

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Been supporting Liverpool for as long as I can remember, and I’ve spent sooo many watching and cheering them, so the idea of stopping is difficult to say the least. The only way I can think of where I might stop caring somewhat is if we got owners whose sole purpose was to whitewash their terrible human rights record.

Edit:
I remember our bad years all too well and they definately make you care less as well, although in a different way.

Maybe if you are 6.

Outside of that, I can see admiring another team's setup, manager, etc, but ultimately-for me anyway, Utd comes first.

I have a lot of admiration for the way Klopp has built that Liverpool team on a more limited budget. And I think Manchester City officials/employees have structured their setup more intelligently than us using a similar budget (better cashflow+Cheating-(but that is beside the point)).

But ultimately, I think they are both scum and dislike them both (particularly Liverpool). I have some admiration for well-run clubs like Southampton and Brighton, but I know that they 'hate ManYoo', etc. (even though most of them can't spell it) so f**k them as well.

Deery

Dreary
You aren't arguing in good faith but we both know that.

I'm a casual fan myself and I see nothing wrong with it. I'm not sure why you are so fixated on fans being better than other fans. Do you get a trophy for being a die-hard fan rather than a casual fan? I find that even weirder.

The original point was the emotional connection to the club is stronger when you are from/live closer to the club (in my opinion of course). Would say the same for US vs UK fans and I wouldn't have any problem with you saying I probably don't have a strong as connection to the club since I live in the US. It doesn't hurt me or make me feel worse. It's an opinion that doesn't make me a bad or good fan, just a different kind of fan.

If you disagree that's fine, but it would be great to leave it at that. Cheers.
Even by using the term casual fan, you don’t get it at all, a lot of people spend most their lives supporting United and I find it weird to be delegated to by an American that doesn’t even try to accept the culture of the nation.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's okay if you're supporting Liverpool (you should stop, really - it's the decent thing to do).

Seriously, though - what does "support" mean?

I haven't supported United for years - if by "support" you mean actively doing anything to add to the club's coffers.

If the question is: "Is it okay to define yourself as a United supporter (fan) - and then stop doing that, moving on to Bayern Munich or Bristol City?"...then the answer is obviously no.

Sounds of the Aquarium

United slipping down the table will really separate the wheat from the chaff. I cant get my head around not following the club any more just because we are going through a bad patch.

I’m sure a lot of people will drift away and then miraculously make an appearance in about 10 years time once the success starts to come back in and pretend like they never went away. I am seeing it all over with people I know who apparently are Liverpool fans but never bothered to make it known up until about 2/3 years ago.

We have had so much success , I don’t think people can deal with us not being decent. I am surrounded by arsenal and spurs fans where I live. They have learnt to deal with the doldrums.

Changing allegiance is just not a thing in the UK unless you are under 7 years old . you would get absolutely panned by your mates if you did it an adult.

In the late 80s my dad said I had to pick a team (I was about 5 lol) United (his team) or Luton (our localish team) (both were in top flight at the time I think they finished 11th and 16th in 88/89) I picked United because my dad followed them and he bought me Bryan Robson Soccer skills book for xmas (total bribe). Retrospectively a good pick (Hatters for playoffs though!). That choice wont ever change.

My first son was born a week ago, he will get a similar choice, United or probably Arsenal as most of his family are Arsenal. I will offer a similar bribe using “Fred the Autobiography – I keep forgetting I’m Brazilian”. I cant loose.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Even by using the term casual fan, you don’t get it at all, a lot of people spend most their lives supporting United and I find it weird to be delegated to by an American that doesn’t even try to accept the culture of the nation.
I agree. I probably don't get it as much you, which was my original point. You probably don't get it as much as some born and raised in Manchester who is a season ticket holder and there is nothing wrong with that. Like how non-match going fans didn't understand why match going fans weren't voicing their discontent at the results when Ole was on the verge of a sack or why nothing came of the protests.

Nobody is delegating you to anything by expressing an opinion nor is it diminishing English football culture (which is nonsensical as I'm a fan). The difference is you are trying to rank different types of fans while I'm just making observations and distinctions between different types of fans.

I genuinely don't understand what you feel slighted about however, I will apologize for my word choice if it offended you. It wasn't mean with malice. Let's assume I'm simply an ignorant American and be done with the back and forth.

Deery

Dreary
I agree. I probably don't get it as much you, which was my original point. You probably don't get it as much as some born and raised in Manchester who is a season ticket holder and there is nothing wrong with that. Like how non-match going fans didn't understand why match going fans weren't voicing their discontent at the results when Ole was on the verge of a sack or why nothing came of the protests.

Nobody is delegating you to anything by expressing an opinion nor is it diminishing English football culture (which is nonsensical as I'm a fan). The difference is you are trying to rank different types of fans while I'm just making observations and distinctions between different types of fans.

I genuinely don't understand what you feel slighted about however, I will apologize for my word choice if it offended you. It wasn't mean with malice. Let's assume I'm simply an ignorant American and be done with the back and forth.
Ok.

Acole9

Outstanding
I would never switch teams, I've invested so much of my life supporting United. I would never be able to have that sort of affiliation with another team.

I do know people that have changed teams. One bloke I used to work with switched from Arsenal to City, it was bizarre he just denied ever supporting Arsenal even though everyone knew he did.

Another lad I used to hang around with went from supporting West Ham to Ipswich to United and then settled on Arsenal.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I would never switch teams, I've invested so much of my life supporting United. I would never be able to have that sort of affiliation with another team.

I do know people that have changed teams. One bloke I used to work with switched from Arsenal to City, it was bizarre he just denied ever supporting Arsenal even though everyone knew he did.

Another lad I used to hang around with went from supporting West Ham to Ipswich to United and then settled on Arsenal.
:lol:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I'm not from England, so take this with a pinch of salt.

I started supporting United because of David Beckham, and SAF and the CO92. I see them as the protagonist, the football billionaire everyone hates for being successful, the good underdog that are fighting to surpass Liverpool and knock them off their fecking perch. The one that rises through the ashes of Munich, never forgotten. The one that always scores, and the one that reaches the promised land.

Trophies are secondaries, I would have still supported us even if we fail at the treble, no biggies.

But I find it hard to root for the current team, they are everything that the 90s United are not. Seeing bunch of prickmadonnas like Rashford, Shaw, Pogba, even seeing the likes of Ole who's managing abysmally and only being given the position because of nepotism, seeing the likes of Maguire, and Rashford giving fans some fingers (something which will never be tolerated under SAF), this is not the United I sign up for. And title / trophies has nothing to do with it, I'd gladly support the team if they have a bunch of likeable players who plays for the shirt, sweat and come short.

And you can say it's a cardinal sin etc, but I really find it hard to motivate myself to root for this team.

Would I ever support another team? Nope.

Would I root for this United team? Finding it very hard.

Maybe one day, when we finally got a set of players that ticks my box I'd be rejuvenated, but as this point.. i'm indifferent.

Deery

Dreary

I know a guy like that saw him at 5-aside wearing a United top around 2009 asked him is he a United fan now jokingly, thinking he was wearing his brother’s top. Looked at me dead serious and confused saying, “I’ve always been a United fan”, when I’ve known him for years and he had every Liverpool keeper top going growing up. I often wonder is he a Liverpool fan now as they are doing well again..

DeGea’sFeet

No because you start supporting the club you support from like when you’re 4-6 or whatever and that becomes part of your earliest memories and emotions, after family, but often with family and also in school as you grow up it becomes a part of your identity and something you banter about and always remember who supported what team. Years later you might forget someone from your year’s name but you’ll remember his team.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I’ll always follow United. Support them? Tougher question - go through patches of giving the team a chance but at the moment hate the club apart from Rangnick. Canst stand the players if I’m being honest.

Would never lose interest in football though - just channel my interest into watching as a neutral and enjoying the sport for what it is. Don’t think I could ever just go support another side but you can always admire teams, managers and players.

Plus you can go out there and play yourself, coach or watch your own kids play.

United isn’t the be all and end all when it comes to the sport for me. If it was - I’d stop watching football.

AndySmith1990

It's okay if you're supporting Liverpool (you should stop, really - it's the decent thing to do).

Seriously, though - what does "support" mean?

I haven't supported United for years - if by "support" you mean actively doing anything to add to the club's coffers.

If the question is: "Is it okay to define yourself as a United supporter (fan) - and then stop doing that, moving on to Bayern Munich or Bristol City?"...then the answer is obviously no.
Actually, the answer is obviously yes
1) it's only football
2) saying its not okay is gatekeeping, which isn't okay
3) people should be encouraged to spend their free time doing whatever gives them the most enjoyment. If that's being a fan of different teams then who cares? It doesn't affect my life nor anyone on here
4) it's only football

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
1) it's only football
3) people should be encouraged to spend their free time doing whatever gives them the most enjoyment. If that's being a fan of different teams then who cares? It doesn't affect my life nor anyone on here
4) it's only football
Well, it's 'okay', in the sense that it isn't illegal or immoral. But it's also 'okay' to wear one of these:

It's also okay for everyone else to think you're a bit of a prat.

Red For Ever

My younger brother supported Liverpool until he was about 10, then changed to Newcastle.
50 years later he still supports Newcastle, for at least the last 30 years he lives near Hull, goes
to almost every Hull home game and many away, and some Newcastle games each season.
He works about 1km from Hull City ground.
His son who is in the Navy has just gone on special exercise with short notice is also a duel Newcastle
and Hull City.
No idea how the Mind of a football fan works but a demonstration of how not winning everything makes no difference to many supporters.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
1) it's only football
4) it's only football
Yes, but...

Well, it's 'okay', in the sense that it isn't illegal or immoral.
This.

It's also okay for everyone else to think you're a bit of a prat.
And this.