Is it the media portraying negativity at the club?

automaticflare

This idea that the media are out there to get us, Man United, specifically is one of the most childish and cringe-worthy things I read among our fans. The media sells papers. Sensationalizing poor performances of top clubs sells papers. They'd do the same to Chelsea, City and Spurs.
My true United are a bigger club and will sell more papers / clickS

It's all bullshit feck the papers and press who gives a bollox.

I'm not enthused by how we are playing but it is only end of October you don't win league after 10 fecking games not the champions league. I'm delighted with our results so far and the last month without our most creative player in pogba. We need someone else to help create miki and mata have been poor IMO we need another threat

Dosse

In the Norwegian papers, United have gotten more cover lately then they have un a while! Most "positive" also is my impression!

Lentwood

Yes, but so are some of the people on here!

I have always been quite clear on my stance. It's fine to have high standards and be critical of the players but once they get out onto the pitch we support them - too much whingeing and audible groaning at games. Also the disgraceful booing of Fellaini last season.

Same goes for the manager, we've seen to many good managers lose their jobs because fans are impatient arseholes! I don't care what Jose Mourinho says or does, I only care that we get results.

Kag

No, you're just in a bubble

Arsenal's AGM has been torn to pieces. Conte is facing the sack every day, apparently. Klopp has been roundly criticised for Liverpool's inability to defend. Spurs aren't really worth the column inches and City are being praised because they're pretty brilliant at the moment. If we were brilliant then so would we.

We have been quite rightly criticised over the past few weeks in certain sections of the media. This is because the quality of football on show isn't reflecting the cost and talent of our squad. It's fair game. We've been shite and it's been noted. It's also been weirdly praised for how effective it can be in terms of results - see Barney Ronay's recent Mourinho article in the Guardian.

Basically, (some of you) get over yourselves.

prtk0811

Arsenal's AGM has been torn to pieces. Conte is facing the sack every day, apparently. Klopp has been roundly criticised for Liverpool's inability to defend. Spurs aren't really worth the column inches and City are being praised because they're pretty brilliant at the moment. If we were brilliant then so would we.
By the way those are the clubs actually having trouble. In this case trouble is being created out of nothing.

wolvored

I feel since the Liverpool game there has been a whole host of negativity surrounding the club.

In truth why? We have lost one game, granted against unlikely opponents but every club loses a football game.

We are second in the league, basically through to the next round of the Champions League for the first time in years and still remain in the League cup. And this is without one of our best players.

Why is there so much negativity? Is there really fan unrest or is the media simply creating this feeling?

The media perception of the club is becoming tiresome. First we weren’t winning, now we’re not winning with enough style.

Tonight is a prime example, we won 2-0 whilst Chelsea got hammered 3-0 to Roma, all the talk is about Jose’s programme notes.
I think it stems from the type of football played as well. When you win 3/4-0 its easier to look on the performance more favourably than when you win 1-0 or not win obviously. We are just coming out of a defensive and abject performance against Liverpool and Huddersfield, and still fresh in the memory. Now if we beat Chelsea say 2/3-0 it will all be Utd are back. They are going to win the league etc. Media and most fans are fickle at times, me included.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I feel since the Liverpool game there has been a whole host of negativity surrounding the club.

In truth why? We have lost one game, granted against unlikely opponents but every club loses a football game.

We are second in the league, basically through to the next round of the Champions League for the first time in years and still remain in the League cup. And this is without one of our best players.

Why is there so much negativity? Is there really fan unrest or is the media simply creating this feeling?

The media perception of the club is becoming tiresome. First we weren’t winning, now we’re not winning with enough style.

Tonight is a prime example, we won 2-0 whilst Chelsea got hammered 3-0 to Roma, all the talk is about Jose’s programme notes.
100%

wolvored

No he didnt, I've see it at the ground on a banner. Unless he commissioned the banner?
Hes having a laugh. Its been around for ages. I had it on a badge bought around a dozen or so yeas ago.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Is it? All I could hear about on BT was Savage saying how we don't get enough credit for clean sheets and yet Juve did when they scraped wins with Bonucci & co.

This article was a positive reflection of our game: http://www.skysports.com/football/man-utd-vs-benfica/384295

I don't recall a massive amount of negativity post match either.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
This article is proof:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...o-game-of-chicken-manchester-united-tottenham

In the article Johnathan Wilson places a whollly negative slant on Mourinho's philosophy. Choosing to concentrate on his philosophy for away games and painting it as what his whole philosophy is based on. Whilst totally ignoring that his number one priority is to have a team that 'provokes the most mistakes' from the opponent. Which isn't as pragmatic nor a defensive as they press and punditry make it out to be. Its like they have decided being a manager who concentrates on transition play is wholly negative. Yet they regularly have a love in with Klopp's counter pressing philosophy.

prtk0811

Only by the bloody manager.
The pundits, the fans ,the analysts, the journalists take the first punt to constantly poke and spark a reaction . This has become a PR buisness sitting in the confort zone of a sofa and just blabbering. Yes, there is room for improvement in our game but listening to it constantly is freaking annyoying When you are getting results.

Last edited:

prtk0811

This article is proof:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...o-game-of-chicken-manchester-united-tottenham

In the article Johnathan Wilson places a whollly negative slant on Mourinho's philosophy. Choosing to concentrate on his philosophy for away games and painting it as what his whole philosophy is based on. Whilst totally ignoring that his number one priority is to have a team that 'provokes the most mistakes' from the opponent. Which isn't as pragmatic nor a defensive as they press and punditry make it out to be. Its like they have decided being a manager who concentrates on transition play is wholly negative. Yet they regularly have a love in with Klopp's counter pressing philosophy.
All this because of the annoyance of the fact that you cant break him down so you just choose to waste your time on the ball all the time by passing sideways and backwards hoping for a defensive mistake and pockets to run into.

Mourinho is basically a counter attacking philosophy but you need wingers and good cams and ability to carry the ball from defense to attack in that, like Real madrid had.

The hypocracy in all these is they dont focus on 90% of the other games where jose does the exact opposite and even dominated the ball, albeit the players passing vision makes it successful or look bad.

Yeesheng

You must be joking. Chelsea were not criticized for their defensive game in Mourinho's first stint? Where do you think that whole reputation started? Of course there were a lot of plaudits as well, how could there not have been when they steam rolled the league but they were definitely plenty of "buts" about how their game was too cagey and machine like. You have to also remember that Chelsea team was not compared directly to someone like the current City side who whether we like it or not, we will be compared against.
I thought they were top scorers? Definitely one of the top two goal scoring teams in the seasons he won the title. That is pretty impressive for a defensively minded coach. Same point for his time at Real where they broke scoring records or something.

Also thought Mourhinho bought in a few flair players who did well. I remember then being pretty irresistible in attack and darn hard to score against. Not sure though - all I know is that back then, people were complaining United's decline and that we were poor compared to other teams like Chelsea and Arsenal.

He set up his team very well back then - what's wrong with that? people also forget city has had a few shaky games this season.

Are people comparing United's performance against MOTD-Highlights-City? That is not very fair to ourselves.

But the grass is always greener on the other side I guess. Coupled with the media attention on us, maybe things always look pretty pessimistic to us.

Pointless rant over. sorry.

Katalinski

Manchester United are the team everyone hates. They are the team that everyone uses to get clicks and views. Hated, adored, but never ignored.

Paying attention to the media is a waste of time.
Well said. Media is not relating news anymore, they are creating news, and it's not only in football. Wars have been started because of media shite.

edgar allan

We have been quite rightly criticised over the past few weeks in certain sections of the media. This is because the quality of football on show isn't reflecting the cost and talent of our squad. It's fair game. We've been shite and it's been noted. It's also been weirdly praised for how effective it can be in terms of results - see Barney Ronay's recent Mourinho article in the Guardian.

Basically, (some of you) get over yourselves.
100%

Manny

Grammar Police
I suppose its Custis, Ogden and Delaney that are making us play negative football, and had us pull the handbrake and play for a point against a shite Liverpool side...

AXVnee7

I suppose its Custis, Ogden and Delaney that are making us play negative football, and had us pull the handbrake and play for a point against a shite Liverpool side...
If we'd had gone to Liverpool and been expansive yet lost then the media would've been on Jose's back also. Also I'm not so sure we're playing negative football. I would say there was an element of negativity in the Liverpool game, but in every game before and since the attacking intent has been there, just not the quality.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
It is funny because we aren’t even playing bad football. Liverpool, Benfica away and Spurs, but aside from that we have played fantastically. We were averaging 3 goals a game. What do people actually want the good football to be? Have 25 shots on target, score 5 every game with 75% possession? Not gonna happen, this is real life not Fifa. The 3 years before Mou arrived was dreadful. He has us challenging for the title and only lost once all season. We are back challenging and it is still not enough. People have short memories and must be so stupid to not realise it wasn’t always swashbuckling football under Sir Alex.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
So this is the "No, the latest episode of drama was the media's fault, not Mourinho's fault!" thread? :wenger:

Yes of course the media tends to exaggerate news. And when it comes to United, they may even fabricate stories, because any controversy sells, much less about United. But you can't absolve Mourinho and his theatrics from creating this mess. Mourinho is partially to blame for it.
Yes because being 2nd in the league, losing once all season and being on 18+ goal difference in the league is a total mess. A shambles in fact. Disgraceful.

Thepinhead

It's a trend that exists all over the forum at the moment, unfortunately. Even the Player Performance threads are full of it. Bad enough that people believe it about the club. Even worse when they take it down to the level of individual players.

It's probably down to the nature of modern social media culture. If you're not being ultra-reductive in your view, there's no point in saying it at all.
I agree

It's like being in a room with 20 people all talking at the same time. You'll notice that they talk louder and louder in order to get heard. The same thing happens on forums and social media. There are so many opinions out there. Too many talkers and not enough listeners.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not only this season, but since Fergie retired there has been a media obsession on the type of football we play. We only stopped winning every game 4-0 the other day, but the media have begun to report it as fact that we are a ‘defensive’ team. This is absolutely not true. What is more true is that we are not that greatnat attacking. But we are not negative.

Then there is the fact that the focus is disproportionate and unwarranted anyway. United have never, in my 30 years on this earth, been some Barcelona-like Gold Standard of great football. Growing up, it was generally accepted in the media that Arsenal ‘play the best football’, and many of the years, even under Fergie - at the time there was a media implication that United have won the league again ‘despite not being that great’. Now with all the changes and transition we have been going to, we have been charged with not playing the best football in Europe, regardless of he results. Not to mention that it’s often not true anyway. Last season we were all over most teams, but we’re just not that good a side I think and this has stopped us racking up City-like scores every game. Not lack of trying.

Manny

Grammar Police
If we'd had gone to Liverpool and been expansive yet lost then the media would've been on Jose's back also. Also I'm not so sure we're playing negative football. I would say there was an element of negativity in the Liverpool game, but in every game before and since the attacking intent has been there, just not the quality.
No they wouldn't have. It would have been chalked up as a defeat and we'd have moved on, or better yet we could even have won.

As it stands now, momentum has been halted and the journos dread having to cover our games.

worldinmotion66

Classic Mourinho, diverting attention and pressure away from his players whilst trying to create an 'us against the world' mentality. It's worked his whole career and it amazes me that the English media lap it up every time.

Sepukku

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Classic Mourinho, diverting attention and pressure away from his players whilst trying to create an 'us against the world' mentality. It's worked his whole career and it amazes me that the English media lap it up every time.
Its either that or nothing.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
That's probably because there is negativity at our club.

There has been for a while. Fans are becoming increasingly partisan in their own beliefs that they have to prop up their favourites and anyone who they don't like should be sold or subbed.

It absolutely blew my mind when people were hoping we'd lose the FA Cup Final so LVG could go. Lord knows I've been mocked on this forum before for supporting David Moyes the MANCHESTER UNITED manager on the day he was unveiled at the club.

Jose Mourinho has been pined at by this forum and other sections of United support for the last few years. I don't think we could have ever moved on unless he got his reign here. But now he's here the fans who have hated Mourinho for years are getting annoyed at all the hubris that comes with a Mourinho reign.

I'm hoping Mourinho can keep improving us, leave us after his customary short stay and then the whole fanbase can come back together. Because I'm fed up of United fans all being at each other's throats.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Media is a business.
"Manchester United have had a solid start to the season grinding out wins in the absence of their best player" is very boring when compared to "Negative Mou slams fans over Lukaku treatment"

AXVnee7

No they wouldn't have. It would have been chalked up as a defeat and we'd have moved on, or better yet we could even have won.

As it stands now, momentum has been halted and the journos dread having to cover our games.
We could've won playing as we did too. As could we have lost 4-1. Liverpool's attack excels against teams that come out to play them. And in turn the media could well have portrayed it as us failing our first real test of the season at that point.

Momentum has been halted yes, but there's a strong case that our injuries is the major factor in this. Our midfield options are extremely limited without Pogba. Again I don't see any difference in the way we're approaching games but the quality has declined significantly, and the team's confidence. It's not negative football, we just don't have the options without our key players. Now that we have Bailly back for example our defence feels much more secure than it did when Lindelof was in.

Marcky411

So this is the "No, the latest episode of drama was the media's fault, not Mourinho's fault!" thread? :wenger:

Yes of course the media tends to exaggerate news. And when it comes to United, they may even fabricate stories, because any controversy sells, much less about United. But you can't absolve Mourinho and his theatrics from creating this mess. Mourinho is partially to blame for it.
Fully agree. The media have been waiting a long time to take a swipe at Utd and since SAF left they have had enough to write about. Mourinho loves to play his part as well and everyone in the media know where Mourinho is there is always some form of drama, e.g thowing players under the bus, leaving his programme notes for everyone to see, him shushing the fans and media in the camera at the end of the Tottenham game etc etc.

R'hllor

Cultists turning this place into RAWK. Yea media, CIA, KGB, all lurking from the shadows against us, JM, who ever.

peridigm

Yea, interchangeable. The media love to go after him though, shocking. If Mourinho was in Klopps position you can imagine the headlines every week.
My point is, even without Jose, the press would be negative towards United. Jose does invite negativity. Much like LVG did.

frank lee madeer..

Its a bit like having the option to fly to Australia on Ryanair. You endure it cos it will get you there. Personally I'd rather choose the option to travel in style & still get there.