Is it worth playing McTominay up front?

foolsgold

One of the major issues, I think, is that the transfer of Mount took up a large portion of our transfer budget and facilitated neglect in other areas.

If he was performing at an acceptable level prior to his transfer, the argument for his transfer might’ve held some weight. But the fact of the matter is, he has been poor for the good part of the last 18 months; and he comes here in the last year of his contract for £55m. Fans feel ‘fleeced’ based on our recent transfer history of overpaying for mediocrity, and since arriving, he’s done nothing to dispel those fears.
Agreed, we overpaid but that's not the players fault. I don't watch Chelsea on a regular basis but he's always looked tidy enough when I've seen him. We need to give him some time and space. I think he'll come good for us.

To answer the original question, should we play Mctominay upfront? no, but he's certainly more of an 8 than a 6 and I'd be ok with him getting more game time and getting further forward.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Embarrassment. And this is the guy moderating this forum?

Handing out ‘warnings’ because you’re not intelligent enough to understand that a word has multiple meanings.

What a joke.

You should be embarrassed. As you're not intelligent enough to realise the site has more than one mod.

Or not intelligent enough to go around insulting random members of staff.

Leethal

You should be embarrassed. As you're not intelligent enough to realise the site has more than one mod.

Wait. It was you responded, no?

And please. You're a mod on a message board that is publicly used. Get off your high-horse. I won't tip-toe around, for fear of what? Another incorrectly issued 'warning', like the other abortion of a warning? (See what I did there? I used the word again, and in correct context and application - maybe the moderator who issued the initial warning can get their head around this one).

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Wait. It was you responded, no?

And please. You're a mod on a message board that is publicly used. Get off your high-horse. I won't tip-toe around, for fear of what? Another incorrectly issued 'warning', like the other abortion of a warning? (See what I did there? I used the word again, and in correct context and application - maybe the moderator who issued the initial warning can get their head around this one).
Who asked you to tip-toe around?

You're just having a tantrum now and undone any of the mild amusement from your initial complaint. Just for future reference, these little fits of pique are better dealt with by private message.

Leethal

Who asked you to tip-toe around?

You're just having a tantrum now and undone any of the mild amusement from your initial complaint. Just for future reference, these little fits of pique are better dealt with by private message.
I sent a message to moderators, of which I have received no response.

RE: Tip-toeing

Insinuation that there is a separation and divide between ordinary members and staff; and repercussions accordingly. What’s the difference between staff and ordinary posters? Outside of the ability to arbitrarily (incorrectly) hand out ‘warnings’, or wield the mighty ban stick.

This is boring now. I’m done if you are.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Mctominay scores goals from midfield when he’s played in like a b2b role. He’s scored a few for us under Ole I think he was. Scored some good goals against wolves. He’s got a good strike on him which is handy against teams that sit back.

OrcaFat

Martial can't or Mctom?
McTom. It seems like a tempting idea because he is physical and has scored a few goals but he can’t do the things required of a CF in general play. I don’t want to appear like I have great insight or am revealing an unknown secret because it’s mostly agreed what his strengths and weaknesses are.

He isn’t good at getting into position to receive the ball with his back to goal. He doesn’t have the technique to hold the ball under pressure and his passing isn’t quite up to it either. As far as I can tell, these things are not really disputed.

I can’t see a scenario where these deficiencies are outweighed by his qualities.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I sent a message to moderators, of which I have received no response.

RE: Tip-toeing

Insinuation that there is a separation and divide between ordinary members and staff; and repercussions accordingly. What’s the difference between staff and ordinary posters? Outside of the ability to arbitrarily (incorrectly) hand out ‘warnings’, or wield the mighty ban stick.

This is boring now. I’m done if you are.
You started slinging insults about intelligence. I just pointed out its not very intelligent be insulting the people who could help you sort out any issues you had. There is only a practical difference between posters and staff.

Leethal

You started slinging insults about intelligence. I just pointed out its not very intelligent be insulting the people who could help you sort out any issues you had. There is only a practical difference between posters and staff.
Riddle me this:

Should I, or should I not, have a warning on my account for the use of the word ‘abortion’, due to the fact the moderator who issued the warning was unaware that there is multiple definitions of the word?

Brophs

The One and Only
Could have been so much worse if you believe in nominative determinism.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Riddle me this:

Should I, or should I not, have a warning on my account for the use of the word ‘abortion’, due to the fact the moderator who issued the warning was unaware that there is multiple definitions of the word?
If only you began with such a reasonable, if not a bit presumptuous, question.

Alas.

RuudTom83

Q: He isn't playing upfront for Scotland? he is playing the no.8 or no.10 role right?

Hughes35

McTom. It seems like a tempting idea because he is physical and has scored a few goals but he can’t do the things required of a CF in general play. I don’t want to appear like I have great insight or am revealing an unknown secret because it’s mostly agreed what his strengths and weaknesses are.

He isn’t good at getting into position to receive the ball with his back to goal. He doesn’t have the technique to hold the ball under pressure and his passing isn’t quite up to it either. As far as I can tell, these things are not really disputed.

I can’t see a scenario where these deficiencies are outweighed by his qualities.
Oh, I don't think he's a solution at all.

I would prefer to see it tried for one game than keep letting Martial wander around like he's strolling down to Greggs after receiving bad news.

Jerom

McTom is like a bit more technically gifted Weghorst. You shouldn't play him from start, but bring him on to make war. He has scoring abilities and some technical qualities, and of course his physical presence. In my opinion he should stay at Utd and Martial should leave.

If he stays you have an extra option for the midfield positions, too.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The thought of a cross going in, the keeper comes, a defender jumps for it.

ETH shouts ‘now’ and Van de Garg pushes the inflate button and suddenly amongst the players this monstrosity balloons up and heads it in.
More movement in that GIF then Martial has shown so far this season!

Bwuk

Q: He isn't playing upfront for Scotland? he is playing the no.8 or no.10 role right?
We've been playing a sort of 3-6-1 almost

Last match we lined up

Gunn
Porteous - Hendry - Tierney
Hickey - Gilmour - McGregor - Robertson
McTominay - McGinn
Adams​

Zed 101

McTom is like a bit more technically gifted Weghorst. You shouldn't play him from start, but bring him on to make war. He has scoring abilities and some technical qualities, and of course his physical presence. In my opinion he should stay at Utd and Martial should leave.

If he stays you have an extra option for the midfield positions, too.
God yes out of the 2 would keep McT, Martial is not worth the cost of getting his name printed on his shirt

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
You've really got to try to ignore some of the tossers we have on this site. He was only trying to appear smart whilst being a total dipstick with no knowledge of the game.
I usually do but I'm willing to make exceptions when the need arises.

Withnail

Why should I have to dumb down my posts, just in case those reading it aren’t very clever?

The wording I used is appropriate, given the context. And I’d use it again. It’s not up to me to appease the stupid.
It's a horrific turn of phrase whether it's in the dictionary or not. There's absolutely no need to use that level of imagery to describe a player's performance imo.

Leethal

It's a horrific turn of phrase whether it's in the dictionary or not. There's absolutely no need to use that level of imagery to describe a player's performance imo.
I mean, sure. If you lack maturity and cannot differentiate the definitions, I can see how this may offend. Additionally, it was used to describe the transfer - not his performance. It wouldn’t make sense if used to describe his performance from a contextual standpoint. But carry on.

Withnail

I mean, sure. If you lack maturity and cannot differentiate the definitions, I can see how this may offend. Additionally, it was used to describe the transfer - not his performance. It wouldn’t make sense if used to describe his performance from a contextual standpoint. But carry on.
Using half-arsed dictionary definitions to defend the use of that word in that context is the mature move, I see.

It's a corruption of the main usage and in many dictionaries your usage is classed as slang/informal and sometimes offensive. It's not like it's just spelled the same and arose independently to mean something different.

Leethal

Using half-arsed dictionary definitions to defend the use of that word in that context is the mature move, I see.

It's a corruption of the main usage and in many dictionaries your usage is classed as slang/informal and sometimes offensive. It's not like it's just spelled the same and arose independently to mean something different.
You’re talking absolute nonsense to try to justify your view. Is there some sort of scale that I’m not privy to, that determines what the “main usage” of a word is? Or is that determined by, I dunno, you? Stupid argument.

I really cannot be bothered arguing the definition of a word, (and it’s appropriate usage), any more than I already have. If you choose to be offended because you cannot seperate the definition, that’s your problem, not mine.

Withnail

You’re talking absolute nonsense to try to justify your view. Is there some sort of scale that I’m not privy to, that determines what the “main usage” of a word is? Or is that determined by, I dunno, you? Stupid argument.

I really cannot be bothered arguing the definition of a word, (and it’s appropriate usage), any more than I already have. If you choose to be offended because you cannot seperate the definition, that’s your problem, not mine.
It's not because I can't seperate the definition. It's literally the same word, that's been informally used out of context often enough that it's now in the dictionary. If you look words up in a dictionary rather than google, some well have "informal" or "slang" beside the definition and they're ordered by most common to least commonly used.

If you're going use a dictionary definition to justify usage, you should at least be aware that just because it's in the dictionary doesn't mean it is appropriate or inoffensive. All words are in there, many of which we can't use on here, after all. It's not a carte blanche and yeah I find that usage distasteful and unnecessary but I won't derail the thread any further.

Last edited:

Leethal

It's not because I can't seperate the definition. It's literally the same word, that's been informally used out of context often enough that it's now in the dictionary. If you look words up in a dictionary rather than google, some well have "informal" or "slang" beside the definition and they're ordered by most common to least commonly used.

If you're going use a dictionary definition to justify usage, you should at least be aware that just because it's in the dictionary doesn't mean it is appropriate or inoffensive. All words are in there, many of which we can't use on here, after all. It's not a carte blanche and yeah I find that usage distasteful and unnecessary but I won't derail the thread any further.
Is it offensive to you, if someone was to say:

“Manchester United were forced to abort the transfer of Mason Mount, after he failed his medical.”

Or

“Manchester United aborted their mission to restructure the youth academy, after the Glazers rejected the funding requests”

If not, why not? Is so, why so?

I mean, the usage of the word “abort”, or “aborted” in this context, is acceptable? But not the word “abortion”? Where does the difference lie - outside of personal “feelings” towards the word?

Nobody gives a shit about feelings.

Hal9000

He was never a holding midfielder during his youth career, and he's not a holding midfielder now. Mounrinho shoehorned him there, as he's a strong physical player but he's definitely best in the role he plays for at Scotland. Given the chance he could probably do the job mounts be bright in to do.

Withnail

Is it offensive to you, if someone was to say:

“Manchester United were forced to abort the transfer of Mason Mount, after he failed his medical.”

Or

“Manchester United aborted their mission to restructure the youth academy, after the Glazers rejected the funding requests”

If not, why not? Is so, why so?

I mean, the usage of the word “abort”, or “aborted” in this context, is acceptable? But not the word “abortion”? Where does the difference lie - outside of personal “feelings” towards the word?

Nobody gives a shit about feelings.
Ok Shapiro, but that's exactly my point those are fomal usages which don't have the same connotation at all.

joedirt87

He was never a holding midfielder during his youth career, and he's not a holding midfielder now. Mounrinho shoehorned him there, as he's a strong physical player but he's definitely best in the role he plays for at Scotland. Given the chance he could probably do the job mounts be bright in to do.
And yet we keep playing him there.

norm87cro

The guy is a squad player in whatever he does. I said that when people were bashing him and Im saying it now. If he is happy with that so am I

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It can only work when the opponent sits in their box the whole game. Height, strength and quick shooting is great in the box.

90 + 5min

Underated player. I don’t know why I can’t write in McTominay thread so I’ll do it here. Guy needs to play.