g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Is it worth trying to keep a player who wants to leave?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If you're Manchester United then the answer is no... mostly

While we're obviously not the panicle of English football any longer it should still be a privilege for any player to get the opportunity to play for us. We're not any old tinpot club so if you don't want to be here feck off because you can be guaranteed bigger and better players than you have left before and the club have gone on

The only caveat to the above would be another talent like Ronaldo, arguably the best player ever to play for the club, without doubt one of the best players in the world ever, that kind of talent you do have to do your upmost to keep even if they do want to leave

R'hllor

What will happen if we do? They drop their performances? Not sure is that even possible.

PaulRich

All depends really. Coutinho never stopped playing at Liverpool even though he was Barca bound. However, I can foresee Pogba just coming the complete twat and downing tools.

SaintMuppet

I understand your feelings, but the problem is that the club has players, but the public company has assets and if the club is not sweating the company's assets for a decent return, the investors will kick up a fuss.

The agents are shrewd businessmen, who know exactly what they are doing.
Reality sucks I know.......

Slevs

likes to play with penises
If not why bother with contracts?

Personally I’d love nothing more than to shove their arses into the reserves for the term of the contract.

Players/agents should never be bigger than clubs, certainly not than ours.

But then the poor slow flakes would cry about slavery
My kind of guy.

AllezLesDiables

Almost always the answer is no. While no club wants to give off the impression that they’ll just fall pray to a player demands, keeping players that do not want to be at the club posions the well so to speak.

The better questions to ask are why does the player want out, is there a pattern to players wanting out, and did the club do its due diligence by properly vetting incoming transfers for volatility.

The problem here was that Pogba transfer in was a bad decision on multiple fronts. He had shown previous volatility with his first move away from United. He then got in bed with Mino and forced a money move to United. It should come to no surprise that he wants out.

Pogba is not a player you build around but rather a player you add to an already strong team.

That’s where this transfer fell into the bad decision category. Great player but he’s not a player you build a team around. Granted there aren’t that many of these types of players in the world but you need core players who are long term players that can be built around.

Pogba is almost like Mourinho in a sense in that he moves every few years and turbulence seems to follow him around.

sp_107

It works only if the player has the right mentality or in their last years of contract so that they will play well and attract big clubs in next window. Still It's a risk and if I am the manager I dont keep them especially if I find they can't be motivated.

More than keeping an unhappy player the most important issue we need to address is the wage gap. I think that is where its all going wrong at our CLUB.

In our office we have a group of 15 contractors more or less on similar day rate but recently they recruited 3 consultants for same work but a little bit higher rate than existing consultants. In the end we had to train those new ones too, Guess what? it didnt go well and since then the team's efficiency has gone downhill and people started looking out for other jobs or not performing here. Most of the canteen talks are about how management ignored us and offered more to new consultants which are not any better than us.

Suddenly I realised I think we are also having same issue at our club, only difference is the players we already have are not really worth it ;) but I think this huge wage gap between players definitely derail team spirit and unity. so better we keep base wage cap and then play performance bonuses?

Slik

Didn’t we forcefully keep De Gea? Didn’t Chelsea keep hazard for years ? Didn’t we keep CR7 a year to two more?

TRUERED89

If he's like Ronaldo and gives his all for 1 final season to boost his stocks even more and help win a title as a parting gift then YES keep him. If he's going to sulk, down tools, refuse to come on off the bench (like a certain Carlos Tevez) then get rid asap (I fear with Pogba it will be the latter). If he's not mature about it and doesn't work hard during his 'notice period' then good riddance. His "Caption this" post immediately after Jose's sacking said it all, whether we like Jose or not..

Maticmaker

Didn’t we forcefully keep De Gea? Didn’t Chelsea keep hazard for years ? Didn’t we keep CR7 a year to two more?

None of those players were underperforming and all agreed to stay, (well assuming Hazard did once Jose had left Chelsea ) we could not have forced De Gea to stay if he really wanted out, and Cristiano agreed a deal with SAF on the extra year. Pogba is not performing, (except occasionally and then only for ten minutes at a time) he thinks he should be paid more (at least as much as Sanchez) and is looking to rescue his career, but not at United!
Chances are, that in his own interests Pogba will undermine Ole's attempts to change things, whether he means to or not, the result will be the same!
Get rid ASAP!

Denis79

Pogba is a player who "needs to be happy" to be able to do his job. No point keeping him if he's so set on leaving. He'll just jog around sulking.

UnitedObsession99

If a player wants to go...get rid or work a way to solve the problem. It'll often come down to willingness to compete and/ or salary. Both of those are solveable if the owners have the desire. If the reason is desire for new culture or to move with family, etc then you need to work with them.

One thing a players contract should have is a penal clause for stating desire to go. This damages negotiation and that should come at a cost to the player.

Johan07

The most important thing with Pogba is that his future is settled within two or three weeks from now. Either a team stumps up the money of our valuation by then or he stays.
We cannot let this saga continue after the PL-transfer window is closed, when we will have no possibility to replace him. He has three years left on his contract, if he sulks and/or does not perform he is on the bench or in the stands. And we will have the same discussion next summer. No worries on our part. If we sell him on the cheap I will get fecking pissed.