Is Joel throwing Ed under the bus?

Bojan11

Ed Woodward was overruled by Joel Glazer in United’s pursuit of Jadon Sancho, according to reports.

The Athletic suggest Glazer and other members of the United board were adamant that Dortmund’s asking price was unrealistic due to the ongoing coronavirus crisis.

They say Woodward was left powerless in the transfer market after United’s owners deemed the deal too expensive.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Imagine Woodward was the good guy all along and had to put up with the inhumane amount of shit from fans.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Imagine Woodward was the good guy all along and had to put up with the inhumane amount of shit from fans.
Because he's the CEO Manchester United deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. Watch this space.

We all know the Glazers are the real monsters. They employ Ed, he reports to them.

It’s nothing to do with Woodward really, it’s not his fault that he’s incompetent at the job if the Glazers are not going to hire someone who can do the job to the required standard.

clarkydaz

You could say its Ed blaming someone else for the heat he is now about to now get. Should have made it clear ages ago, moved on. People would have understood. Leaving panic to last day makes it worse, as according to this you knew ages ago it was a non starter

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Feel sorry for Ed, has done a wonderful job with one arm tied behind his back. Do Carlsberg do CEO's?
I mean he could have saved Glazers millions and pleased the fans in one fell swoop but chose not to

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
This plot twist would be crazier than the end of Die Hard when it turned out Bruce Willis was a robot the entire time.

Jonty

Ed orchestrated their takeover of united saddling the club with debt, he will always be a cvnt as will the Glazers

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
This is new, haven't had reports like this before. With how shambolic the club have been you would have to assume things are quite frantic and messy behind the scenes, I do wonder will we begin to see an internal fallout.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Because he's the CEO Manchester United deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. Watch this space.
:lol:

BR7

100%. He was an integral part of the actual takeover back in 2005. You cannot undo that.
spot on, he got them the loans and helped them laden the debt on the club. Woodward is by far the biggest culprit outside of the glazers although some of our directors at the point of sale also bedded in such as Maurice Watkins and his ilk they all had a part to play but Ed driftwood is the top of that triangle breaking bread with the vultures/glazers

Denis79

All the 'news' coming out now is just Woodward's own leaks to cover his back.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Transparent Woodward briefing is transparent.

RUCK4444

I would imagine Ed would have loved to sign this lad in fairness, knowing how he likes to play billy big bollox.

Maybe it makes sense that this came from the top. Ultimately it’s their dividends that are effected. Can’t have that now can we...

Greck

This has always been the issue with targeting Woodward. We'd still be left with Joel Glazer playing football manager from the shadows

flappyjay

To be fair if I was a Glazer and just spent 80m on a dud like Maguire and now hear about how we need another cb it would tough for me to sanction another big deal.

BR7

I’ve been saying recently how ole wouldn’t get a job with any other prem team currently but actually, which prem club would appoint driftwood in his position? No one. He is a money maker and should be in the back rooms working making money without anyone knowing who he is and his face should never be seen

diarm

That makes the incompetence even worse.

If your owner tells you the money isn't there for the signing you want, and the selling club tell you they are not going to see for less, you write the signing off as possible and move onto more attainable targets back in July.

You don't leave everything until the last weekend and end up looking like a flailing amateur for the 9th year in a row.

Snuffkin

it’s not his fault that he’s incompetent at the job
He is very competent at being the Glazer's fall guy. Shit deflector par excellence.

The agents and players decide the transfers these days. Sancho probably didn't even want to come.

saivet

Even if this was the case, why did he pursue the deal for so long? He leaked the excuse that Ole pressured him to keep trying. Just sounds like a man trying to deflect the heat away from him to either the Glazers or Ole. Even if both of these things were true he wasted so much time on one target without ample time to seek a replacement and that's his fault.

Denis79

If this is Ed's briefing, isn't he taking a risk by biting the hand that feeds him?
With all the articles coming out about us, one of them would have been bound to make this assumption anyways. Woodward can just act as surprised as the Glazers about the article.

But we've seen articles that blame the Glazers and Ole already, no doubt 'leaks' from Woody himself. We've seen this happen before everytime the fanbase and media are critical of him.

Razwy

Poor Ed...PR spin in full motion...He's one of them and now their tryin to fool us again like they do every summer.We need to find a way to get them all out

Chief123

Even though Glazers will make the final call on a transfer, we can not sit here and pretend they haven’t authorised a shit load of signings. I hate our ownership not because we don’t spend money, but because the goal and objective of the owners is always going to be a different vision to the fans. The Glazers spend big not because they want to be the best football team in the world. They spend big because they know it’ll help their revenues and profits going forward.

Woodward has to hold blame where he is accountable though. He is the CEO so he has the ability to employ someone who has better judgement at making footballing decisions than himself. His choice not to bring a DOF in after so many years is unforgivable. He’s given himself 7 years to prove he can meet the needs of that role. He’s failed for 7 years. He can’t complain that the owners haven’t given him money to spend.

If I have a few million to spend on investments, I wouldn’t pretend to know where best to invest. I would seek the advice of a financial advisor. Woodward should have already bought a DOF long ago in order to use the money that has been provided in a more efficient manner.

Use the Dan James transfer for example. He was about to join Leeds for less than £5m a few months earlier. Yet we decided to buy him for £15m a few months later without significant progress in his development. I can’t accept a director of football such as Van Der Saar would ever identify James as a suitable target for Utd. I highly doubt a footballing man identifies Maguire as an £80m worth of defender either. He did absolutely nothing to warrant such a price.

Skills

Snitch
Even though Glazers will make the final call on a transfer, we can not sit here and pretend they haven’t authorised a shit load of signings. I hate our ownership not because we don’t spend money, but because the goal and objective of the owners is always going to be a different vision to the fans. The Glazers spend big not because they want to be the best football team in the world. They spend big because they know it’ll help their revenues and profits going forward.

Woodward has to hold blame where he is accountable though. He is the CEO so he has the ability to employ someone who has better judgement at making footballing decisions than himself. His choice not to bring a DOF in after so many years is unforgivable. He’s given himself 7 years to prove he can meet the needs of that role. He’s failed for 7 years. He can’t complain that the owners haven’t given him money to spend.

If I have a few million to spend on investments, I wouldn’t pretend to know where best to invest. I would seek the advice of a financial advisor. Woodward should have already bought a DOF long ago in order to use the money that has been provided in a more efficient manner.

Use the Dan James transfer for example. He was about to join Leeds for less than £5m a few months earlier. Yet we decided to buy him for £15m a few months later without significant progress in his development. I can’t accept a director of football such as Van Der Saar would ever identify James as a suitable target for Utd. I highly doubt a footballing man identifies Maguire as an £80m worth of defender either. He did absolutely nothing to warrant such a price.
Van Der sar is the CEO at Ajax. Woodward is the CEO at Man Utd. Neither of them are directors of football.

The director of footballs role at Manchester United is done by the manager. Ferguson was our DOF, and since he left we've been trying to hire a manager who does both the DOF role and head coach role in 1. But they don't really exist in modern football and it results in you gambling your future away on the whim of one man.