Is Lack Of Leadership A Problem Within This Squad?

Neo_Mufc

It's difficult not to look at the past and compare players like for like but I've always felt that we as a club have had strong leaders in most positions through out the years.

The style of football isn't what we're used to but if we cannot play our way back into games for whatever reason, who are those individual players picking the game from the scruff of the neck and dragging the ball into the net?

I'm probably gonna get stick for this thread but I just don't see many of those players at the moment. It feels like when we go down in a game I'm looking for those 2 or 3 experienced players, who can control the rhythm and make us look more compact as a unit.

Another point I feel is relevant is that do we have individuals willing to upset players when they make mistakes, and get us across the line.

I don't want to bash this team but when I think back, we had players who weren't afraid to have a pop when they thought standards were dropping.

One isolated incident from today was Lindelöf's mistake (This isn't an attack on Lindelöf it could be any player). Was anyone on the pitch willing to have a go or at least tell the player to buck up. The Utd of 10 years ago someone from that defence or keeper would be screaming at him no?

ti vu

Yes. It has been the problem post SAF (even when the old guards were still around under Moyes).

However, to truly cure the issue at the club, Wood position should be looked at now. He seems to have great influence in building this culture of Hollywood while money over substance. He is in the vital decision making role that can't be afforded much more mess around any longer.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Pogba was a leader on a World Cup winning France side, Alexis Sanchez is a leader on a successful Chile side, Lukaku important for a Belgium side that made the SFs, etc. We had a bunch of players who were starters for sides that went deep in the WC. We should have enough leaders.

Witchking

During the world Cup pogba days the most normal thing on camera and puts on a show about Messi out no messi and suddenly he is captainship material.

Or lukaku says some crap and putting on a show in front of the camera and the crowds and he is captaincy material.

If France had lost that game so you think that clip would have been leaked?

Both are not worthy of wearing the united jersey at the moment, let alone being the captain.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's very difficult to foster the type of leadership that United had under SAF, and I think it's even more difficult nowadays where players barely having a good season have so much influence and power. It's up to the manager to make leaders out of certain players. I know it sounds ridiculous to some, but Pogba absolutely has leadership characteristics. He has often been captains of the youth team he was under, a lot of players including Evra would tell you he is a born leader. But under Mourinho, he is the furthest thing from that and I'm not sure why. I don't see any leaders really rising from the crop under his leadership and so that tells me Mourinho is the problem (a recurring theme for me).

99withaflake

I don't think we have a single, natural leader.

There's some players who try to lead by example (Matic, De Gea) and others who give it a go but have little substance or authority (Valencia, Lukaku).

There's no-one who demands respect, inspires the team, organises the team, communicates well and leads others. We miss one badly.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Almost every player in the first team squad either came from clubs with winning cultures, been part of a very successful international side or both. We should have enough "leaders".

Jerzol78

Almost every player in the first team squad either came from clubs with winning cultures, been part of a very successful international side or both. We should have enough "leaders".
Maybe successful sides are not always that good source of leaders. Sometimes quality is just enough to be successful. Like France this year...

SER19

Obviously. We have talented players and some likeable players. When up against it they appear to be largely weak willed, unambitious and devoid of any pride in playing for united. They need to get on the same page fast

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
We have pseudo leaders, they lead when their teams are winning and sulk when their teams are losing.

ErranMorad

We won the league with ease in Sir Alex's last season and had enough players assuming the leadership. Moyes came and we looked clueless and leaderless. The same team that won the league at Chelsea under Jose crumbled the following season and then won again a season later under Conte and then crumbled again. What I mean to say is that leadership comes from the manager. It's not like City, Liverpool, Chelsea or Spurs have amazing leaders in their team.

Last edited:

Canagel

We don't but then who are leaders for our rivals? The leader should be the manager.

The Hacker

Good leadership isn’t easy to define - nor is it the sole job of the captain. Just like in any team in any type of vocation, leadership sits within a team culture. If you can’t get positive or winning culture - or at least a true team ethic where they all pull together, leaders within that will struggle.

We were fortunate that SAF had so many years to develop it. We can’t keep looking back though. We have to look forward. What type of leader are we looking for? Keane esq? Vidic esq? Someone needs to decide and go get that player. Then with the manager set the culture up and keep it going through the different players we’ll obvioualy go through whilst it embeds.

We are screaming out for structure. A DOF could help, but one that will be in situ for at least 6 years. It’s not an impossible task. Yes it takes cash (we have it) but above all it takes balls. We have none right now.

Something needs to change.

Pogba was a leader on a World Cup winning France side, Alexis Sanchez is a leader on a successful Chile side, Lukaku important for a Belgium side that made the SFs, etc. We had a bunch of players who were starters for sides that went deep in the WC. We should have enough leaders.
A leader is someone who calms the others down when we are under pressure, or pushes us when we need to chase a game. We don't have anyone that i can see. Anyone can be a leader when you're winning.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Good leadership isn’t easy to define - nor is it the sole job of the captain. Just like in any team in any type of vocation, leadership sits within a team culture. If you can’t get positive or winning culture - or at least a true team ethic where they all pull together, leaders within that will struggle.

We were fortunate that SAF had so many years to develop it. We can’t keep looking back though. We have to look forward. What type of leader are we looking for? Keane esq? Vidic esq? Someone needs to decide and go get that player. Then with the manager set the culture up and keep it going through the different players we’ll obvioualy go through whilst it embeds.

We are screaming out for structure. A DOF could help, but one that will be in situ for at least 6 years. It’s not an impossible task. Yes it takes cash (we have it) but above all it takes balls. We have none right now.

Something needs to change.
And Keane was signed as a 20 year old from a side that was just regulated. Vidic was signed as a 24 year old who was playing in Russia. They were not signed just to be "leaders". You usually do not really sign leaders. Players usually develop into leaders after years at the club usually because of past performances.

Neo_Mufc

The WC/International football is an environment totally different to what you get at club level. Maybe it's because I'm an England fan but all those friendlies aside 2 months of a WC and Euros is not enough in 4 years to warrant oneself as a total leader, if that makes sense.

It's not as simple as playing well for your country and then coming back to Utd and doing the same. They just aren't doing it at here.

99withaflake

And Keane was signed as a 20 year old from a side that was just regulated. Vidic was signed as a 24 year old who was playing in Russia. They were not signed just to be "leaders". You usually do not really sign leaders. Players usually develop into leaders after years at the club usually because of past performances.
That’s a fair point about leaders often developing rather than being bought readymade.

I was too young at the time, but when we signed Robson, was it obvious he was going to turn into a leader?

We’ve been lucky over the years to have a ton of leaders within the team, people who would organise, communicate and ultimately stand up when the chips were down which would help drive those around them.

Since I started watching United they have been: Bruce, Hughes, Schmeichel, Cantona, Keane, Neville, Beckham, Vidic, Ferdinand, Rooney.

We haven’t had one in ages and really do need one or two in our starting 11. You could say that Matic and Herrera have some leadership qualities, and try to organise and communicate, but ultimately aren’t quite on the same level as those listed above.

poleglass red

The recent Bailly penalty v Brighton, classic example of our lack of leadership. The lad makes a rookie, unnecessary tackle. Not one player said anything to him. FFS someone say something, shout at him, talk to him. De Gea is a top class keeper, why isn't he coming over and even having a quick word in his ear. Bailly goes to ground much too quickly for a defender at this level, stay on your fecking feet, going to ground is the very last resort. He did it in the Leicester game at the edge of our box and got way with it.I think true leaders in the modern game are a dying breed, but seriously we need somebody in that backline than can show some authority.

KennyBurner

What does leadership have to do with teaching players where to position themselves? what does leadership have to do with a team pressing in a more organised manner and not looking so disjointed. what does it have to do with playing from the back like every other quality team out there? Leadership is the least of our problems at United. To make things worse our own leader the manager has created such a toxic environment that has created so many problems for the club and fans. Everyday its one story or another at the club adding to more misery.

however I do believe that we have a leadership problem but it has no significant impact on why we are currently struggling. If we could develop an identity on how we want to play football at this club and not just freestyle every week I believe it would give birth to natural leaders. Each week its always a different style. Against Leicester it was camping in our half at home, (I'll skip brighton), against tottenham it was pressure all over the pitch. 3 years in and we still don't know how we want to play. Fix these problems and you will see more players willing to lead by example.

Lentwood

Yes, but that it due in part to the fact that we have hardly any established Manchester Utd players.

Most of our better players have only been at the club for a season or two and the rest are inconsistent and in and out of the side

There are no Keane, Scholes, Neville etc....figures to look to in times of need

Neo_Mufc

The recent Bailly penalty v Brighton, classic example of our lack of leadership. The lad makes a rookie, unnecessary tackle. Not one player said anything to him. FFS someone say something, shout at him, talk to him. De Gea is a top class keeper, why isn't he coming over and even having a quick word in his ear. Bailly goes to ground much too quickly for a defender at this level, stay on your fecking feet, going to ground is the very last resort. He did it in the Leicester game at the edge of our box and got way with it.I think true leaders in the modern game are a dying breed, but seriously we need somebody in that backline than can show some authority.
There was a video I was trying to find of a few years back and it's Gary Neville criticising one of our defenders I think it might be Evra. It's either Rio or Vidic having a pop and Evra avoids eye contact with him.

Nev says something funny like " He's not looking at him and thinking you're my mate" I cannot remember the line but that is the type of reaction I have been hoping from a few of the players.

Feels like we've got some sensitive guys in that pack who can't be told off unless it's the manager. If Jose does have a pop on the pitch then everyone has a go at Jose.

When Pogba miss placed a pass towards the North Stand, I think I could hear Jose on the touchline shouting Paul, Paul, someone was trying to rectify that mistake but Paul refused to look over.

OverratedOpinion

I think the major issue with the team is that we cover less ground than every other team in the league and that we are statistically the slowest team in attack. If those two things changed then our passing would look several levels better and we would spend less time on the back foot.

FcUnitedRed

Supports
Glazers Out
Lack of leadership in the squad is part of the problem but not a defining factor.

I thought Pogba's return, his past association with the club might spur him on to become a great leader. The grit, desire & tenacity to lead and pull the others by the scruff of the neck and push them on to better things. Unfortunately he's more interested in social media and picking a new haircut for the next game.

The point i'm trying to make is, There's not enough "old school" desire like yesteryear. Players would come in and fight tooth & nail for a place, Where as nowadays there's practically no competition for places. A lot of the players know they're going to walk into the squad every week even if they only apply themselves at half the level in training.

If there were better competition for places, then i think we'd see a totally different United.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Lack of leadership in the squad is part of the problem but not a defining factor.

I thought Pogba's return, his past association with the club might spur him on to become a great leader. The grit, desire & tenacity to lead and pull the others by the scruff of the neck and push them on to better things. Unfortunately he's more interested in social media and picking a new haircut for the next game.

The point i'm trying to make is, There's not enough "old school" desire like yesteryear. Players would come in and fight tooth & nail for a place, Where as nowadays there's practically no competition for places. A lot of the players know they're going to walk into the squad every week even if they only apply themselves at half the level in training.

If there were better competition for places, then i think we'd see a totally different United.
Well there should be competition for places since at this point only De Gea and maybe Lukaku and Valencia know they are first choice. Even Mourinho admitted in the press conference that he does not know who his best CB pair is.