Is Mainoo the real deal?

Is Kobbie Mainoo the real deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He a top player and will only get better. So calm on the ball. Give him a world class partner and we’re laughing

hobbers

Just need to get him better players to play alongside than McTominay and Bruno.

Swedish_Plumber

Clear to see why he wasn’t loaned out. League one standard is far too easy and he’d have probably been taking the piss in the championship too.

Irwin99

It's nice to have a player who wants to get on the ball and dictate the game, which feels weirdly unusual to be honest from a United midfielder in modern times. He's not afraid to put a tackle in either.

Chip

18 years old... Hard to see how he won't be a big, big succes for years to come.

We are Banter United, though. So we might find a way to screw it up.

Loon

:lol:
No big fuss or “LOOK AT ME!” nonsense from this lad. Going about his business quietly

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The best thing about him is how he shows up just how crap most of the rest are at the short pass game and playing under pressure. Annoying when he makes a short pass with a bit of zip to do a give and go and the recipient struggles to play it quickly enough.

The-Mezzala

Always try and not hype young players up but this kid looks the real deal. . Hope he keeps developing. He might of saved us 65 million in the transfer market. Amazing all the money we have pissed away and this kid was in the academy

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
We're playing Wigan FFS, let's not overegg it. He is performing very well though so far, enjoyable to see him impose himself more.

Gordon S

The way he reads the game and just steps in and steals the ball at times is almost making me cry.
He is actually a really good player. Feel sorry for him having to try and run that midfield all by himself at times.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Best part was when he'd won the ball with no fuss, McTom got in the way and bungled it, then Mainoo simply won it again.
Very tidy.

redom

He's got a laconic style which makes him look very calm and composed but can also occasionally make him appear to lack a bit of dynamism or sharpness. He does seem to read the game well though which allows him to be in the right place at the right time more often than not and nick the ball off opponents.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We're playing Wigan FFS, let's not overegg it. He is performing very well though so far, enjoyable to see him impose himself more.
Sure, but he's the best player on the pitch first half by about a mile. I can't remember such a composed midfielder at his age since, ever?

Roboc7

Just need to get him better players to play alongside than McTominay and Bruno.
Yeah that is a huge factor for him, Mctominay’s ability to run and stand in positions where he can’t receive the ball is like nothing I’ve ever seen. He is Very difficult to play with, lots of slack to pick up which doesn’t matter tonight but is a big ask for a young player against tougher opposition.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Didn’t look like a good player before today right…

The-Mezzala

The way he reads the game and just steps in and steals the ball at times is almost making me cry.
He is actually a really good player. Feel sorry for him having to try and run that midfield all by himself at times.
agree can’t believe we have wasted so many years with McFred. This kid is showing up how poor our midfield has been in recent seasons. Absolutely class

Last edited:

Von Mistelroum

He genuinely seems to be top class. At this age to be performing so consistently well is ridiculous. If we don't sort ourselves out and get better players around him, he'll be looking at bigger and better things in the not-too-distant future. Would hate to see him at City or something...

TwoSheds

Sure, but he's the best player on the pitch first half by about a mile. I can't remember such a composed midfielder at his age since, ever?
Tbh...Wilshere. And neither of them is a patch on Fabregas at the same age. And both Wilshere and Fabregas never got to be world class for me. Could argue Pedri might be on that same path too.

wolvored

But he’s performing better than two veterans in Bruno and McTom so we’re playing Wigan means feck all, and he’s been very good all season.

TwoSheds

But he’s performing better than two veterans in Bruno and McTom so we’re playing Wigan means feck all, and he’s been very good all season.
He's been unbelievable all season...for an 18 year old.

hobbers

:lol: (I’m going to assume you’re not serious)
I'd play Gore in midfield before McTominay in any game from now until the end of the season. No brainer, it's not like he could do any worse.

Eriksen over Bruno would be interesting, since Bruno has been a 1/10 player in almost every single big match this season.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Tbh...Wilshere. And neither of them is a patch on Fabregas at the same age. And both Wilshere and Fabregas never got to be world class for me. Could argue Pedri might be on that same path too.
Aye, Pedri for sure. But with the others it's hard to gauge because they arrived into a team that was much better than what Mainoo is and yet Mainoo looks like he's the one holding the hands of his teammates to support them. I'm not just thinking of technical attributes, but mentality. I think a player of that quality would be almost impossible for us to buy because we'd be at the end of the queue and he'd cost an absolute fortune.

TwoSheds

Aye, Pedri for sure. But with the others it's hard to gauge because they arrived into a team that was much better than what Mainoo is and yet Mainoo looks like he's the one holding the hands of his teammates to support them. I'm not just thinking of technical attributes, but mentality. I think a player of that quality would be almost impossible for us to buy because we'd be at the end of the queue and he'd cost an absolute fortune.
Oh definitely, it's brilliant we're bringing him through but if someone were paying lots of money for him they would certainly be paying for his potential rather than because he's already a top premier league player.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
He stands out in that team as someone who just knows what to do, makes the right decision and never panics. Which is pathetic for the rest considering he’s 18.

Put it this way, if we had a couple more players with the composure Kobbie has we’d be in a much better state. He’s class.

Gordon S

I think we are so starved of quality in midfield that Kobbie looks like Rui Costa and Rijkaard rolled into one cause he can do the basics real well.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Probably is. Hope he gets quicker and can stay clear of injuries (been quite a few for him already).

Bondi77

Kobbie is looking good, he is not the quickest but he is so young and he can get quicker with sprint training.