Is Marcelo the best attacking left back in the world?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Best left back in the world.. been saying it for years, he gets so underrated and yet he's on another planet to guys like Evra/Abidal/Cole were going forwards.

Defensively they were better, but IMO.. he's an absolute game-changer and one of the best pure attacking left backs of all time.

Robertd0803

Unreal performance. The run where he ran past half the Bayern team before passing it to Ronaldo for the 3rd goal was even better because he had to dodge the ref as well.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
There was that moment when he blazed through some Bayern player and it looked like the ball was going out but he ran at it with 200% confidence and got the ball before it went out.

ferguson2

Attacking wise the best but in defense he seems not to care much. Especially if the opponent isn't Bayern, Barca, etc. (the game against Las Palmas springs to my mind).

Celestiale

One just needs to look to the quality (ok forget for a moment Victor Kasai) of play between Real and Bayern and then look to Leicester and Atletico, to be fair to Leicester, Atletico is the Leicester of Spain, they don't care if they have to play ugly.

What I mean is, putting aside the referees, does anyone really believe Chelsea or Spurs are on the same level as Real, Bayern, Juventus, Atletico or Barcelona?
So a team playing against relegation in the PL just (not counting the referee mistake) cancelled out Atletico, and you still claim they are better then any other PL team? That's pretty delusional :lol::lol:
Come on, take your PL hatred elsewhere. That's getting ridiculous.

SSSSnake

Best left back in the world.. been saying it for years, he gets so underrated and yet he's on another planet to guys like Evra/Abidal/Cole were going forwards.

Defensively they were better, but IMO.. he's an absolute game-changer and one of the best pure attacking left backs of all time.
I'd hardly say he's underrated. He constantly gets in the team of the year with FIFA.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Right now he is even Real Madrids (by far) best player on the pitch.

Theonas

Scout
In the case of Luis he certainly defends better than Marcelo but is miles away in offensive terms.

I blame Mourinho and of couse maybe Luis was more adapted to Spain, but I keep hearing that when players fail in England they are awfull, overrated and so on, but at international level they perform, that is why I say that maybe the problem is in the quality of football played today in the EPL.

One just needs to look to the quality (ok forget for a moment Victor Kasai) of play between Real and Bayern and then look to Leicester and Atletico, to be fair to Leicester, Atletico is the Leicester of Spain, they don't care if they have to play ugly.

What I mean is, putting aside the referees, does anyone really believe Chelsea or Spurs are on the same level as Real, Bayern, Juventus, Atletico or Barcelona?

If United wants to chalenge them it will not be on the amount of money spent, that is what England has been doing in the last years and does not translate inside the pitch, of course it is only my opinion. :D
I agree with you perfectly. The influential factor is the very nature of the English game. It prides itself for making it tough and unpredictable on a lot of talented players, especially defenders. This contributes to its excitement and popularity the world over and I have to admit, I myself find the chaos and unpredictability too exciting to want it to change. We must accept however that we can't use our game to judge the rest when said rest keep dominating in world cups and CLs. I agree with your point about the money as well. Money plays a huge part in football but in England, people seem to believe that it is the only factor as there is that deep rooted belief that players' quality is some sort of fixed number that cannot go up or down depending on the environment around it, or at least shouldn't. The reasoning is therefore to conclude the individual quality is bad once the team is not performing well and of course the only course of action then is to go out and spend more money, rinse and repeat, ... .

cyberman

I agree. Those guys keep winning international trophies and CLs and yet we keep talking about how they fail or might fail in the PL. You hear Marcelo being so bad defensively for example. If whatever he is is a bad thing, I am not sure I want a good defender. It is true that Marcelo might in fact struggle in the PL just like Filipe did but again that would say more about the league than them.
Why would it say more about the league? Maybe they would struggle in a more tactical league like Italy for example? Marcelo didn't have the best of world cups, is it the world cups fault he couldn't perform like he does when he has Ramos / Ronaldo/ Modric in and around him?
England has a football culture, like Spain, Germany and Italy do. It's not for everyone and nor should it be.
If top player can't adapt then it shows how much of a unique league it is to play in. It can't be used as a slur against it's quality.
Plenty of quality players have come to England and performed to a high level.
Not so long ago England had Cole and Evra dominating from fullback. They managed to cope with the hustle and bustle just fine

Theonas

Scout
Why would it say more about the league? Maybe they would struggle in a more tactical league like Italy for example? Marcelo didn't have the best of world cups, is it the world cups fault he couldn't perform like he does when he has Ramos / Ronaldo/ Modric in and around him?
England has a football culture, like Spain, Germany and Italy do. It's not for everyone and nor should it be.
If top player can't adapt then it shows how much of a unique league it is to play in. It can't be used as a slur against it's quality.
Plenty of quality players have come to England and performed to a high level.
Not so long ago England had Cole and Evra dominating from fullback. They managed to cope with the hustle and bustle just fine
I am all for distinctive cultures for each team. I don't understand the people who argue that we should for example fill our team purely on proven quality regardless of profile. I think that as admirable as Barcelona's and Bayern's playing style is, it is equally valuable that they feel distinctly Catalan and Bavarian just like we did in our own way back in the late '90s and early '00s. Sorry to go on about this, I am just trying to make the point that I am not calling for some sort bland, unrecognisable sporting entities.

There is a balance to everything however I feel. The Germans achieved a nice balance in the way they adapted their footballing culture over the past couple of decades to focus more on technical skill and tactical flexibility without losing their soul. I think in the UK, there is way too much pride and pleasure taken out in how those skilful players won't cut it out here as they "can't defend" or "don't like it up them" and "can't handle the physical rigours" and such. The main reason is that I am thinking, sure the game in England is unique and unpredictable which is obviously fascinating but on the other hand, they are the ones winning world cups and dominating the European landscape. It is welcome and even necessary in my view to preserve the footballing culture of each country or at least certain aspects of it, but not when it interferes to your ability to compete with the best.

We probably need to move this to another forum though but I am not sure which.

gaucho_10

Based on one game, he garbage now?
I'd say he's not even close to his old self. He regressed for more then a season now. He was the best LB few years ago so it shows. I'm sure Bayern fans will confirm.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I'd say he's not even close to his old self. He regressed for more then a season now. He was the best LB few years ago so it shows. I'm sure Bayern fans will confirm.
I honestly think Pep ruined him by trying to turn him into some quasi-CM.

He's very generic now as a left back and doesn't have that same oomph going forward.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
He has been really inconsistent and rarely showed his former peak form since his two knee injuries in 2014/15. He really lost a lot of ability on the ball. I don't think he lost much physically though, it's very odd. Before that first injury late in 2014, he was getting better and better in terms of technique and control. He regularly took freekicks and hit them brilliantly, scoring a few wonderful goals. Nowadays if he takes a freekick it's more likely to hit the corner flag than the goal.

There was a short spell this season, where he looked excellent again. But it didn't last, it's really sad. I hope he can turn it around again.

I honestly think Pep ruined him by trying to turn him into some quasi-CM.

He's very generic now as a left back and doesn't have that same oomph going forward.
Not sure that's true. He developed nicely under Pep for a year and improved further in many ways, especially in that left sided centerback/libero/box to box role in the back three. I'd argue that the injuries were the clear point when he started to regress. He's playing regularly as a leftback for quite some time now and the various positions Pep used him in can't count as an excuse anymore.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
What makes Marcelo so unique is the brazillian joga bonito silk he has on the ball.. its on another level to even guys like Alves/Maicon, who were more conventional wing-backs reliant on their physical attributes, whereas Marcelo has that extra ability in tight spaces.. he's a winger in terms of ball skills. If Ronaldinho was a full-back, he'd be reincarnated as Marcelo.

His first touch is majestic.. which to be fair, even Evra/Cole had superb first touches, but I think Marcelo edges it.

His crossing ability on the run is superior to any of the great left backs of past 10 years, post Maldini era.. but I wouldn't put it up there with the likes of Brehme etc, or the greatest full backs ever, its good but not all-time great good.

What also lets him down is his goal-scoring, only 26 goals to his name.. gets into great positions but doesn't have that elite mind in the final third to put chances away.

However in terms of link-up play with your winger, the thrust he can bring to a side down a flank and the surprise factor he provides when dribbling even against the tightest defences, he's pretty damn special.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He has been really inconsistent and rarely showed his former peak form since his two knee injuries in 2014/15. He really lost a lot of ability on the ball. I don't think he lost much physically though, it's very odd. Before that first injury late in 2014, he was getting better and better in terms of technique and control. He regularly took freekicks and hit them brilliantly, scoring a few wonderful goals. Nowadays if he takes a freekick it's more likely to hit the corner flag than the goal.

There was a short spell this season, where he looked excellent again. But it didn't last, it's really sad. I hope he can turn it around again.

Not sure that's true. He developed nicely under Pep for a year and improved further in many ways, especially in that left sided centerback/libero/box to box role in the back three. I'd argue that the injuries where the clear point where he started to regress. He's playing regularly as a leftback for quite some time now and the various positions Pep used him in can't count as an excuse anymore.
I just remember him playing CM for Austria and thinking he was so out of his depth.. sometimes being moved around can just confuse a player and kills their momentum. I just feel like the hype went to his head and he tried to become something he was not suited to and forgot the basics of what made him such a talent in the first place.

If it is injury, that is sad and I hope he can recover his physical conditioning as it is sad to see what he has become.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
Of course he is. Best LB in the world. Madrid have the best fullbacks in the world and the 2 best central midfielders in the world as well.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
So a team playing against relegation in the PL just (not counting the referee mistake) cancelled out Atletico, and you still claim they are better then any other PL team? That's pretty delusional :lol::lol:
Come on, take your PL hatred elsewhere. That's getting ridiculous.
What PL hatred, what is getting ridiculous is your permanent dismissall of other leagues.

Anyway, from someone who on the other day was saying that Valencia is on the same level as Lahm maybe we cannot expect much, cheers mate. :lol::lol::lol:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I agree with you perfectly. The influential factor is the very nature of the English game. It prides itself for making it tough and unpredictable on a lot of talented players, especially defenders. This contributes to its excitement and popularity the world over and I have to admit, I myself find the chaos and unpredictability too exciting to want it to change. We must accept however that we can't use our game to judge the rest when said rest keep dominating in world cups and CLs. I agree with your point about the money as well. Money plays a huge part in football but in England, people seem to believe that it is the only factor as there is that deep rooted belief that players' quality is some sort of fixed number that cannot go up or down depending on the environment around it, or at least shouldn't. The reasoning is therefore to conclude the individual quality is bad once the team is not performing well and of course the only course of action then is to go out and spend more money, rinse and repeat, ... .
Yes, I agree with you, and one thing that maybe United should look more is to pay a little bit of atention to what Spurs are doing with Pochettino, ok they haven't done nothing special yet in Europe, but if we look at the ratio between the amount of money spent and quality of play this season probably Spurs is the best team in England.

What I mean with this is, sure, if United as an elite club has to make statements in the transfer market and for comercial reasons is understandable they need to buy abroad, it would not be bad to look at Sunday performance by Rashford or Lingaard, or look at Delle Ali or Kane, and try to recreate a little the squads of the 90's, buy 1 or 2 exceptional World Class players and develop your own players from the Academy or scout some hidden talent like Ali in lower level clubs, but I do not believe that is the politics that Mourinho will bring to the club, lets see.

Regarding the rest, I will not make much more statements about the quality of Englands best clubs and other Elite teams, because it might bring some Celestiale statement of the night, if you know what I mean. :cool:

Last edited: