Is Matic ruffling Ole's feathers | Starting counter-attacks like a boss

tomaldinho1

He should be playing if he's fit, that doesn't mean he's good enough there but he's the only real DM we have.

If we're at home playing a team we should be beating, Matic is a decent option because he uses the ball well and we shouldn't be under huge pressure/his lack of pace is less of an issue. If we're playing someone like Pool or City, he shouldn't be anywhere near the squad because he's to slow and they will have about 80% possession which will sap his legs in about 10mins.

dev1l

He should be playing if he's fit, that doesn't mean he's good enough there but he's the only real DM we have.

If we're at home playing a team we should be beating, Matic is a decent option because he uses the ball well and we shouldn't be under huge pressure/his lack of pace is less of an issue. If we're playing someone like Pool or City, he shouldn't be anywhere near the squad because he's to slow and they will have about 80% possession which will sap his legs in about 10mins.
Even lower table teams can press very aggressively...

RedDevil-85

Matic should take a long hard look at himself before he talks to the press.
He has been awful for a long while now,piss poor pre season and him losing his place in the team is no surprise to anyone but himself it seems.
Needs to pull himself together and step up if he wants his place back.

Hope its his last season here.

MrSingh2002

We never should have bought him, complete waste of £40mil. Fabinho was always the better option.
100%. I can remember spamming Redcafe with that comment at the time. Shame Woodward doesn't read the forums... What a move that would've been in hindsight.

AJ10

We could of done better under Jose if our DM played better and now Ole's team could do better if our DM plays well but for both managers he's been shit.

Players shouldn't do interviews when they've been so shit.

tomaldinho1

Even lower table teams can press very aggressively...
Yes of course and we should expect that but we should also be able to impose ourselves on a game. Just because we get pressed doesn't mean we should automatically stop playing our game - you can see from the So'ton game we weren't comfortable doing it but we have the players and we should be able to retain possession, in this case Matic is decent on the ball and in keeping the game ticking, making the opposition cover ground.

I get it's not ideal to have him starting but I'd rather Pogba play where he can really make a difference rather than have him and McT in a poorly functioning double pivot.

poleglass red

He's not a defensive midfielder anymore, he's a holding midfielder, he actually needs a defensive midfielder to play alongside him to make tackles and cover runners. He, as much as, Pogba needs to play in a midfield 3, that's why Matic needed Herrera last season. To do his dirty work and tracking.Too slow. not competitive enough and his passing is meh at best.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
As posted in his player thread:

Followed by this from skysports today:

"The coach must opt for the team that will fight for the title and if he does not win, he bears the responsibility..

In the first two or three games he picked the team without me,"
Matic added. "I work as hard as I can. We respect the decision, it's up to me to show him that he was wrong and to bring me back to where I belong.

"There is no problem. I told him I disagreed with him but that he had to decide the team."

So does he have a case? Reminds me of when Valencia "accidently" liked an insta post against Jose and was dropped until he exited the club last season. I don't think Ole can afford to be so ruthless.
Actually thought we'd be better off picking him to move Pogba further up the pitch, but this sort of entitled shite is exactly why you don't pick someone.

There was a noticeable drop in his work rate and performance last season and it followed the same pattern at Chelsea, so it's a simple fact that he doesn't work as hard as he can

haram

He definitely shouldn't. What exactly would he bring to our side and when did he show that in pre-season?
Well the two man midfield of Scott and Pogba is not working and he's the only DM we have.

Greck

Actually thought we'd be better off picking him to move Pogba further up the pitch, but this sort of entitled shite is exactly why you don't pick someone.

There was a noticeable drop in his work rate and performance last season and it followed the same pattern at Chelsea, so it's a simple fact that he doesn't work as hard as he can
Yes. Wish someone would also remind him he lost his place in preseason when he showed he couldn't be trusted as an outlet when playing from the back. He was playing till he messed up his chance. He has this incurable urge to dally on the ball even when it makes no sense. At least when Pogba does it he's trying to create. Matic does it just to make space for a 5 yard pass

Alabaster Codify7

He's got one foot out of the door for sure, but wouldn't be surprised if he leaves on a free. Either way, I'm hoping Ed doesnt decide to 'protect the asset' and renew his contract.

Dennis_Law

Supports
Aberdeen
George Best never caused any trouble on social media (the world is going completely mad) Sir Tim Berners-Lee, I blame you.....

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Yes. Wish someone would also remind him he lost his place in preseason when he showed he couldn't be trusted as an outlet when playing from the back. He was playing till he messed up his chance. He has this incurable urge to dally on the ball even when it makes no sense. At least when Pogba does it he's trying to create. Matic does it just to make space for a 5 yard pass
Just have no time for players whining for being dropped from a failing team. Just shows they have no sense of responsibility.

Fair enough coming out and saying you have to work harder, but no one thinks they have to work harder and at the same time tells the manager he is wrong for not picking them. What that says is they think they deserve to play regardless of how well they do.

There is no player in our squad who has any right to tell the manager they deserve to be picked...and that's not an attack on the players it's just a fact. We did terribly last season and we're 4 games into the new one. No one has proven anything and anyone whining is just showing why looked so pedestrian last season.

The Red Thinker

Matic implying that United are dropping points because they’re not playing him. Frankly, all these types can disappear into thin air for all I care. The selfishness he shows with that comment tells me why he shouldn’t play. Team players only for me. Team above all.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
He's shit but is our only DM, so should probably play. That's how bad we are in midfield. Absolute joke.

RooneyLegend

Ole should ban him and send him to train with the kids as a clear measage that his authority will not be undermined.

Sterling Archer

Glad to see Matic is driven to do more than sit on the bench. I'll be curious to see how Ole handles this. He's a Manchester United manager now and we're well within rights to scrutinize his man management.

Because so far it's one player that's been talking about leaving United all summer, his manager and brother crying out for a move publicly. He's been starting every game.

There's the likes of Matic, experienced but really poor most of last season. He's unhappy to be benched for the likes of Pereira who hasn't really lit the field alright.

And can't forget Lingard. Who has actually not performed to any acceptible level for over a year and has continued to rack up starts with young, talented and hungry players like Gomes waiting for a chance that might seal a new contract.

C'est Moi Cantona

He was horrific when he came on as sub the other day, as he has been for a while now, so not sure letting his 'football doing the talking' is going to work if that's his next line.

The sad fact is Ole has been hung out to dry with the midfield, so I'm sure he'll be forced to play Matic more often than not this season anyway.

Gopher Brown

I can’t believe somebody is such a fan of his that they’d totally ignore this performances for the last 18 months. Even if he played well, he’s not exactly an inspiring footballer - a big slow lump who loves a sideways pass.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I hear you. These three are more vocal now because they know that their time at United was/is up and they try to big up themselves in their search for new employers. I also understand why our fanbase will be more lenient towards Martial, Pogba and several others. But when a club is a mess like the one we're in at the moment, this is a very thin line to tread by the fans.

For example, the whole Pogba vs Mourinho debacle started with Pogba's role on the pitch and was blown out of proportions when it went viral on social media. It became a problem for the club which chose to do nothing. The fanbase was wholeheartedly on Pogba's side (tired from Mourinho's antics and his bad football, that much is true) and tolerated the schism because it would see Mourinho fired in the end. When Pogba liked a post which claimed that he, among others, sacked Mourinho, the fans saw nothing wrong with it. And here we are, a year later, with Pogba in the same tactical role on the pitch and with the team struggling to find its footing. Who guarantees that Pogba won't do the same and push Ole out?

I honestly don't know how we should react. What i can tell you is that the relationship between the fans and the players creates an aura around the club which can be very powerful. There's this feeling around OT that as long as you're young & promising, you will get as many chances as you want. I'm not suggesting that we should become like the RM fans who demand heads to roll whenever their team has a bad month but i do feel that we're moving towards the polar opposite of that. We can be happy with Martial & Shaw while at the same time pointing out when their behaviour isn't appropriate whenever they cross the line. Not the racist bullshite and the emotional reactions after a bad game. We don't need any attention caused by Martial's shirt number: If the manager decided to give #9 to a superstar, suck it up, score 20 goals and take it back. We don't need any attention caused by Shaw's family members: You were mistreated Luke but get your act together and stop hiding behind your sister. We don't need any attention caused by Pogba's self-importance: Think if you can lead the team to CL qualification Paul the next time your stir dust about the manager. We don't do that, we're giving them too much space to breathe because we're willing to accept the manager as the main vilain. Is there any correlation between this lenience and the very little progress most of them have shown? Don't know but i can't swear that there isn't either.
Yeah it's hard to know how to react. I'm happier with the direction of the team under Ole (young, a bit shit but hopefully with room to improve) versus the end of Jose (old, shit, no chance of improving) but it's hard to believe all's well between players, staff, board and fans, and it probably won't be for a good while yet.

Devil may care

Players should respond to all club questions on these Interenational breaks with "I'm focused on my country right now, no club talk."

tomaldinho1

He's not a defensive midfielder anymore, he's a holding midfielder, he actually needs a defensive midfielder to play alongside him to make tackles and cover runners. He, as much as, Pogba needs to play in a midfield 3, that's why Matic needed Herrera last season. To do his dirty work and tracking.Too slow. not competitive enough and his passing is meh at best.
These aren't mutually exclusive.

We don't need a DM to play alongside Matic, we need a DM to play alone as a 6 and allow Pogba + our other midfielder to move further forward. E.g a Fernandihno or Casemiro type who can screen effectively but also has the presence and dynamism to excel at breaking up play and generally keeping passing simple. If Matic was rapid he'd be fine but his legs have gone - particularly with Maguire and Lindelof we need pace in the DM role.

James_42

He was done last season, yet we did nothing about it.

We saw how bad he was in preseason and still didn't even think to get rid of him or bring in a replacement.

BaneIsPain

He is only good for first half first season anyway. Then, it is downhill from there

ValenciaRocks

He simply doesn’t suit our new style. He’s the epitome of a Mourinho signing and he’s getting on a bit now too.

If he feels entitled to play then that’s just childish.... you earn the right to start. Having said that Ole doesn’t help himself when he starts the likes of Lingard after consistently being useless.

Micky Targaryen

Oh look, another player getting ridiculously hated and insulted by Caf like Lukaku just because he dared to talk about something not positive.

The only thing this proves is players don't have much respect for Ole in the dressing room and know that he's a dead man walking, something we all know anyway.
Had to scroll all the way to the third page to find a sensible post. We need more like minded posters in here. You'd think that at least some could at least see context before they post. All I'm seeing is "total waste of money", "shite player", etc. Some even manage to bring Mourinho into this thread. :houllier::lol:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Probably just saw his name and liked.
That's all there is. It's a fan saying he should be starting/playing more because he's good and Matic acknowleding said fan. It doesn't take into account which posts Matic likes all the time and which he doesn't because that doesn't fit an agenda that you're trying to make up in order to get people to click your links to make your bosses happy.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Matic is shite but during the first and second season He was actually good. I saw people branding him the best signing We could have made, Chelsea were fecking daft, etc (the same people are now talking shite about him).

Feck me, if Matic is getting so much slack for liking a comment then I'm wondering what kind of treatment should We give to Lingard. He's been here since Van Gaal's era and has been shite most of the time. His stats say a lot and He posted stupider stuffs on social media.

When a player isn't fancied by the manager it's easy to hate him. But outside of this one comment Matic liked, what else has He done wrong publicly? It's not like He's Lukaku who always acted hard and manly just because He was the teacher's pet.

Bondi77

How we bought this bloke was beyond me and 40mil to boot.
He was decent at Benfica and when he was at Chelsea but when we bought him he was not making the first side and for good reason as he was as slow as a wet week when he came to us.
I think in the position of DM it is a position which is learnt by studying the game and having the physical aspect as well but for me it is a position which a good coach can teach a young player to do and obviously the player to have the intelligence to understand it. The reason why Jose bought Matic is he cannot coach young players so he buys players who are mid to late 20s and then he organises his team accordingly, he just bought Matic when he was already past it at Chelsea.

el3mel

How we bought this bloke was beyond me and 40mil to boot.
He was decent at Benfica and when he was at Chelsea but when we bought him he was not making the first side and for good reason as he was as slow as a wet week when he came to us.
I think in the position of DM it is a position which is learnt by studying the game and having the physical aspect as well but for me it is a position which a good coach can teach a young player to do and obviously the player to have the intelligence to understand it. The reason why Jose bought Matic is he cannot coach young players so he buys players who are mid to late 20s and then he organises his team accordingly, he just bought Matic when he was already past it at Chelsea.
I get it you wasn't watching Chelsea much at this time was you? He was a main starter in the side who won the league under Conte just when we bought him. :lol:

Bondi77

No I did'nt but he just seemed like a bench player to me; Maybe that was the problem, Conte played him too much so by the time we bought him he was knackered.

Bondi77

I get it you wasn't watching Chelsea much at this time was you? He was a main starter in the side who won the league under Conte just when we bought him. :lol:
No I did'nt but he just seemed like a bench player to me; Maybe that was the problem, Conte played him too much so by the time we bought him he was knackered.