Is Ole's favoritism of Rashford costing us?

Swiss_Red89

First of all, i'm a massive Rashford fan and absolutely love the lad. It was imo the correct decision to start him in this final, despite him being a bit out of form. I hope he can get over what's holding him back and play at the top of his game next season.

But i get the feeling that Ole absolutely loves him as well and therefore sometimes refuses to make the correct call and sub him, like yesterday. Rashford really had a mare and should have come off instead of Greenwood or even earlier for James. And this was by far not the first occasion i noticed this. I'm not sure he didn't trust James to do a job for exampe, i feel he just didn't want to sub Rashford because he likes him a lot.

If we sing another attacker, Ole has to be rutheless in his handling of Rashford during next season. If he's out of form leave him on the bench and let him earn his place back. If he doesn't perform during a game, don't let him play the full 90minutes.

Steve Bruce

I think it's costing Rashford tbh. He's going to burnt out by 27. Injured or not Ole plays him

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He plays him because he’s one of the few players who is capable of creating something out of nothing. We don’t create many clear cut chances so we rely on that.

DevTheRed

Not only is it costing the team it’s also costing Marcus. Obviously he has been injured for much of the season and still Ole refuses to rest him, which could severely hinder him later on in his career.

He was shocking last night, it was a criminal decision to take Mason off instead of him, Ole needs to learn to be more ruthless with his decision making.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
He plays him because he’s one of the few players who is capable of creating something out of nothing. We don’t create many clear cut chances so we rely on that.
This is so obvious. For whatever reason we can't actually build up play, so rely on individual brilliance. Rashford is just way off the boil for that atm and well we have no subs that Ole seems to fancy so here we are.

Steve Bruce

His overall decision making is baffling, that is just one of them
I agree, he's frustrating but I'd rather him playing for us rather than against us.

I think If he had pep as his manager, he'd be an insane player. But unfortunately he's not had much continuity in managers & now he has Ole & friends "coaching" him.

Hal9000

Think it speaks volumnes on how he feels about the players outside the starting 11

jackal&hyde

It's not favoritism, he has no choice. If Martial was fit he would have come in for Rashford.

OleBoiii

When a manager refuses to make certain changes to the starting XI there's typically a very good reason for it. Pogba on the wing is far from ideal. James is James. Amad isn't ready. Mata is past it. Martial is injured.

Rashford clearly needs a rest, though. He's being forced to play because he's still better than the alternatives(he's more likely to conjure up a moment of brilliance than the others). It's a not an ideal situation. Hopefully we invest more in the attack this summer. I also wouldn't be opposed to extend Rashy's summer vacation by a week or two.

Walters_19_MuFc

Rashford was poor yesterday and was part of the reason we lost but certainly not THE reason. We had Bruno and Pogba who were non-existent and simply didn't do enough.

That being said, I did mention in another thread thats its crucial we get another winger, which will allow us to rest/drop Rashford/Greewood if/when tired or out of form.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I could understand it if he actually played well but he doesn’t. He hasn’t put in a good performance for ages.

luke511

When a manager refuses to make certain changes to the starting XI there's typically a very good reason for it. Pogba on the wing is far from ideal. James is James. Amad isn't ready. Mata is past it. Martial is injured.

Rashford clearly needs a rest, though. He's being forced to play because he's still better than the alternatives(he's more likely to conjure up a moment of brilliance than the others). It's a not an ideal situation. Hopefully we invest more in the attack this summer. I also wouldn't be opposed to extend Rashy's summer vacation by a week or two.
Amad is ready, he scored a decisive goal vs AC Milan and put in a strong performance vs Wolves at the weekend. He's already one of the best passers in the team as well.

luke511

The amount of times he's sacrificed the front 3 balance so he can play Rashford on the right in big games, I'd say it probably has cost the team a little bit.

Walters_19_MuFc

All hindsight, but Pogba on the wing would probably have been more suited to the way Villareal played because we had very little space in behind for runners like Rashford to find. That being said, Fred did have a knock, and the only other option would have been to play Matic or Van de Beek deep, which may have worked but as I said, its all hindsight now.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Amad is ready, he scored a decisive goal vs AC Milan and put in a strong performance vs Wolves at the weekend. He's already one of the best passers in the team as well.
He certainly couldn’t have done any worse. James would have been a much better option than Rashford in way more games this season than people on here will ever admit. You don’t need to be a world beater to be effective on the wings. Effort and aggression will trump the output of a skilful player who’s not at it 99% of the time. It’s also much more likely to spark a positive reaction in the players around them.

sosolid4u09

Absolutely yes. Rashford has been poor all season. I dont care what his record says

Dan_F

I don’t see the point in singling out players. The whole team was dreadful. Literally no one had a good game, so it’s not like his performance level was massively below anyone else. Ole clearly wants him taking on players, so he’s going to give the ball away a lot when it doesn’t go right.

largelyworried

Tough one. I personally think it was a mistake to take off Greenwood instead of Rashford, particularly since that moved Rashford onto the right where he always struggles.

However Rashford has played badly and scored - or even played badly and scored a stunner - plenty of times in his career. So it’s not a wild decision.

Its also worth pointing out that the game had penalties written all over it, so I think that’s part of the reason to keep him on til the end compared to, say, Amad.

Ole clearly wants a team that has difference makers in it, players who can win a game on their own. And to be fair we have lacked those for while. In the end though I think that he leans too hard that way and doesnt focus enough on the coaching of structure and patterns of the team. I think that’s what’ll do him in eventually.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I love Rashford and think he's an excellent player when fit and in form, but yesterday was just strange. Always found it a bit strange that our current manager literally posted this picture on his Twitter 9 months before he took over though..

Swiss_Red89

I don’t see the point in singling out players. The whole team was dreadful. Literally no one had a good game, so it’s not like his performance level was massively below anyone else. Ole clearly wants him taking on players, so he’s going to give the ball away a lot when it doesn’t go right.
I didn't want to single out Rashford with this thread. We lost as a team and he was only one of the reasons why we didn't perform as we could have.

I just think that Ole's favorism of Rashford is a bit too much sometimes and he has to be more rutheless with him in the future. Otherwise it will cost us and as others have mentioned, Rashford himself aswell.
It could be that i'm wrong and he plays him all the time not because of favorism but for rational reasons, that's why I'm interested in other opinions.

Heinzesight

I love Rashford and think he's an excellent player when fit and in form, but yesterday was just strange. Always found it a bit strange that our current manager literally posted this picture on his Twitter 9 months before he took over though..
feck me. That’s proper odd.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Rashford can be absolutely horrendous and still pop up with a goal or an assist near the end of the game. Has happened a few times this season, Wolves I think was one of them. Ole leaves him on I believe for that reason. Similar applies to Bruno actually

Swiss_Red89

Ole couldn't have a clue that he will get the United Manager job at this point to be fair:lol: But yes, it was obvious since there that he is a fan. And i have the impression that therefore he finds it hard to be ruthless with him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's not favoritism, he has no choice. If Martial was fit he would have come in for Rashford.
Thats not true. He could play Pogba left like he always did and VDB in a pivot. None of VDB performances have been remotely as atrocious as Rashfords yesterday.

He could have played James left and Greenwood right, where James is actually suited to.

jackal&hyde

Thats not true. He could play Pogba left like he always did and VDB in a pivot. None of VDB performances have been remotely as atrocious as Rashfords yesterday.

He could have played James left and Greenwood right, where James is actually suited to.
If he played Pogba on the left then how is it still favoritism for Rashford? He wanted pace in attack with Cavani in the center and Greenwood on the right. Rashford has also come up with the goods while playing bad.

I wanted to see Amad come in but I understand the thinking of not doing so. If we had a more senior player as an option he would have made the change but more importantly, Rashford wouldn't have had to play so many games partly injured in the first place.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If he played Pogba on the left then how is it still favoritism for Rashford? He wanted pace in attack with Cavani in the center and Greenwood on the right. Rashford has also come up with the goods while playing bad.

I wanted to see Amad come in but I understand the thinking of not doing so. If we had a more senior player as an option he would have made the change but more importantly, Rashford wouldn't have had to play so many games partly injured in the first place.
I'm just saying he had options outside of Rashford. It's not like he only played Rashford because Martial was injured. There are options available to him, all are his signings, and he refused to play them - be it Dan James, VDB or Amad.

UnhiredSquire

He has definitely started Rashford and kept him on plenty of times this season(and last) where he most certainly didn't deserve to. It's true that United aren't blessed with options. But there are options. And when a player is this poor(or injured) — taking a punt on a random academy kid is even a better option. Amusingly enough, that is how Marcus got his opportunity to begin with.

For someone that has had 5+ seasons in the first team — it is mind boggling how he can be this dreadful. I would call it stagnation, except I think he has regressed. And no, sorry, it's not purely down to injuries — those don't account for the deficiencies he has shown repeatedly. I can accept that players might have an off game, or two. He has had an off season. More than that, in fact. What I can't accept is players not trying.

Marcus Rashford has not been trying. Whether it's the psychology of carrying injuries, or the praise/distraction from his off-the-field work getting to his head — he has been phoning it in. It's the same patterns. Poor passing. Predictable passing. Lacking awareness of the opposition. Of his teammates. Dribbling into cul de sacs. Insipid movement. Getting caught offside due to sheer laziness. Awful decision making time and again. Taking one good free kick in twelve...Worse still is the lack of intensity, work rate, and tracking back when United don't have the ball. It's almost as if he thinks he is above that; like his hero Cristiano.

These flaws have marred his game for over a year. They will appear again, lest he wakes up from his stupor. Don't worry though...I'm sure that next he will start a campaign to take away heading from the game(another one of his many weaknesses)...

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It’s not just gonna cost us, it’s gonna cost Rashford.

If we keep playing him when he’s clearly carrying injuries then he’s gonna turn out like Michael Owen.

Blueman

Supports
Man City
He never smiles. Something wrong there imo, even when he scores it seems like he's saying "feck you".

When I've been watching him though he doesnt seem to work hard, he gets the hollywood moment of spectacular goals but his overall workrate for the teams cause doesnt seem that good. I might be wrong but its what Ive seen lately.

Roane

I don't think it's favoritism. Think Ole just isn't able to gamble or try something different. Maybe pressure of the job?

I don't think playing Marcus is doing him any favours, these injuries could potentially ruin his long term career.

Ole simply hasn't used his squad properly throughout the season. Players have been bought in as a necessity because of injuries to key ones, Maguire for example would have played last night if at all possible. Yet the likes of Tuanzebe and Bailly (although injuries here too) have not been seeing regular minutes. Yet we expect a performance when they are bought in.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
How is it strange? He's a United fan and wasn't manager at the time. I believe he posted this after Rashford tore Liverpool apart.

tomaldinho1

I admire the sheer volume of your replies defending the manager to the hilt against waves of justified criticism but, please, show an inkling of rational thinking here.

There is no argument, not a single one, that suggest Villarreal are even close to having our overall squad quality or depth and yet you are saying that United last night were so bereft of options that James (who is fit) simply could not have started LW. It is one position in a team of 11.

This lack of ability to see the bigger picture is what I can't get my head around, football is a team sport and yet, as you say, it always comes down to a moment of brilliance with us.

Maticmaker

It was a final, Rashford has (many times) proven himself capable of being a match winner, so has Bruno, Pogba, Greenwood and Cavani, so sending them out there even if carrying knocks, Ole had to do it, no choice really any of these players could at any time, as Cavani did get you a goal, by their own efforts if need be.
However, with Emery's 'yellow-wall' troops being refreshed at regular intervals leaving them out there, especially Rashford though, was not a good choice. Ole did change things but not with Rashford and you got the impression too little too late. I suppose he kept Marcus on for the pens, but by then most Villarreal players knew if they kept going they would win. our tired attempts and body language spoke volumes.

OleBoiii

There is no argument, not a single one, that suggest Villarreal are even close to having our overall squad quality or depth and yet you are saying that United last night were so bereft of options that James (who is fit) simply could not have started LW. It is one position in a team of 11.
I genuinely think even an out of form Rashford is better than James against the low block. James is unfortunately only good-ish on the counter(right now at least). And there were no counter-attacking opportunities yesterday.

it always comes down to a moment of brilliance with us.
When playing against the low block it typically comes down to moments of individual brilliance, though. At least in the long run. Hell, I'd argue that it's absolutely necessary if you want be where City are(for instance). What separates the best from the rest is the ability to grind out 1-0 wins on a consistent basis against teams that park the bus. We've improved in this respect(typically 2-1 instead of 1-0, though), but we're obviously not where we need to be yet.

But I feel that I'm going off topic now.