Is Pogba suited to English football?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He’s ridiculously talented, no argument

but is he suited to the hustle and bustle of PL football?

united keep trying to find a way to fit him into various systems but the one thing that holds him back in my opinion is how much time he wants on the ball. No tactics will negate that.

what a conundrum pogba is

edit: also to add his lack of game intelligence. He makes poor decisions constantly

Last edited:

Hulksmash

Actually he is not because it's too fast and too physical. He can't use his physicality because Opponents are equally physical

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Whether its the league or the team he doesn't suit, something isn't right.

Personally think the Premier league is too quick and physical for him. Always wants an age on the ball.

Bwuk

It’s been 4 years now. I think we know the answer. He has the talent that’s undoubtable, but he doesn’t have the mentality.

PoTMS

Would he look good at other PL clubs? I think the only team he'd look good at is City and even that is debatable.

Ace of Spades

I think he is just out of form. I mean, I would not mind if we sold him and got someone else that would add more balance to the middle.

Sara125

This talent word that I see being repeatedly used for Pogba is a cop out as far as I’m concerned. Yes, we’ve seen what he can do but what use is that if we don’t see it game in game out? Fair enough almost all good and even word class players have one or two games where they are below par but for him it’s more often than not.

edit: grammar

Last edited:

manutddjw

This is becoming eerily similar to Veron. If you look at it individually, Paul is an extremely talented player and his dribbling and passing is at a much higher level than our other midfielders but for whatever reason he’s just not functional in our team. Go and read Keane’s, Scholes and nevilles comments about Veron and all said what a talented player he was and were baffled why it didn’t work out.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
It would be great for all parties involved if Floren bought him this January for 65 million + variables.

vangagal

He doesnt have the intensity or urgency to make a pass or play. Being slow doesnt matter as long as you release pass quickly or have some urgency on it. But Pogba man, he is literally slow in movement, passing, dribbling 90% of times. So infuriating.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think it is hype. "The one that Ferguson let go." I think people have been conned and are expecting a Gerrard type midfielder.

He is just not as good as he is hyped up to be.

We essentially cannot start him against another top ten side home or away. And we cannot start him away from home at all.

cyberman

Vastly overrated. Only ever done it in a 3rd tier league that a 39 yo Ibra is dominating atm.

Zoo

Yes but only in a midfield 3 with a top quality holding midfielder which we don’t have. Carrick would have done wonders for Pogba.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Great talent but no consistency & has terrible mentality. The constant flirting with Madrid was tolerable when it was Ronaldo but with Pogba who barely does it on the pitch it just makes him a easy target & rightfully so.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yes but only in a midfield 3 with a top quality holding midfielder which we don’t have. Carrick would have done wonders for Pogba.
So again we are talking about bringing in another player and possibly change of formation again, so that we might get the best out of pogba

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The real question is, is he suited to football?

I think he'd be a solid Volleyballer... (is that what people who play Volleyball are called!?)

Zoo

So again we are talking about bringing in another player and possibly change of formation again, so that we might get the best out of pogba
With or without Pogba we need a holding midfielder who can control from deep. Matic was serviceable for a while but doesn’t have the legs anymore.

ash_86

Can't stress enough that he doesn't suit us at all. He wants to dribble past 4 players in the middle of the pitch. Time and again he could've laid off the pass and got it back but insisted on keeping it like he has to prove a point that he could hold off several players. He's the most unintelligent gifted footballer currently existing.

SSSSnake

The problem is he has one good game in 10. Terrible again today and had nothing to offer. The quicker he goes the better for this United team. He’s holding us back. Ole has a lot to answer for today also. We lost our energy as soon as Fred went off.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
I've never wanted a player to succeed as much as Pogba. He has games when he's unplayable and you think he's going to kick on, then has a shocker next week.

I can't help thinking we'd have been more successful if we'd signed a player like Wijnaldum all those years ago for a fifth of the fee.

el3mel

Being suited to it or not isn't his problem. He's just so inconsistent and will never be a player to depend on while building a team long term. You can't build a team around a player in midfield who you don't even know if he'll show up or not.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
The real question is, is he suited to football?

I think he'd be a solid Volleyballer... (is that what people who play Volleyball are called!?)
No chance. Same questions are asked. What position does he play? Isn’t up for the task of getting down into the nitty gritty to play back line. But too sloppy to be a setter. You’re then left with someone who can only play front row middle and power. And you’re beginning to think what’s the point? Doesn’t fit into the system for me.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!

united keep trying to find a way to fit him into various systems but the one thing that holds him back in my opinion is how much time he wants on the ball. No tactics will negate that.

edit: also to add his lack of game intelligence. He makes poor decisions constantly
His first seaon he was quality.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
No he always wants time he doesn’t have. Hates being pressed also.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
No chance. Same questions are asked. What position does he play? Isn’t up for the task of getting down into the nitty gritty to play back line. But too sloppy to be a setter. You’re then left with someone who can only play front row middle and power. And you’re beginning to think what’s the point? Doesn’t fit into the system for me.
:lol:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I’m not really sure the thing I’d draw from tonight is the need to open yet another Pogba thread. Pogba was no better and no worse than many of our lot tonight.

Our problems are systemic. Our attack is effective against sides who attack us and leave us with space to counter, particularly once we are ahead and they are chasing the game. We are consistently devoid of genuine threat against teams who also sit back, and we’re arguably more error prone, hence the frequent losses in this sort of game.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
Like Ole says, he's had Covid and is still getting over it.

Problem is, with it being a new virus and all, took best part of 4 years to diagnose.

Seriously baffles me how he gets a game

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't understand why people claim he's ridiculously talented, world class skills etc.

He does a lot of risky things, so even if he fails half of the time, he can have 5 great moves per game which are then showed in highlights.

His skills are not a problem though, his brain is. He has no awareness. Too reliant on strength and dummy's, he's been found out.

FattyFooty

I think he is just out of form. I mean, I would not mind if we sold him and got someone else that would add more balance to the middle.
Out of form? Form is temporary, like a month or two.

Pogba have not been consistent good since he came. Just on and off. Premier league is 38 games we also play champions league.

Pogba often looks kinda heavy/tired. I think the Premiership just don't fit Pogba
way of play.

I usually think our whole team looks slower when he plays, he's also too often late in recognizing danger, or to slow into tackles like the penalty today.

As good as Pogba is, i just think the Premier ship is a bit to fast for him. He would be better in the other big leagues.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

There’s no conundrum.

He’s not the right player to garnish a mess of a team with.

He’s a good player to introduce to an already well balanced side.

We need to get rid, not least because of the constant fecking sideshow.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I never thought he was that good at Juve. Whenever I saw him he had so many lazy games but would bang one in from 25 yards and everyone would lose their shit. Vidal and Pirlo carried him a lot. Let’s not also forget his horrendous spell as their number 10