Is Sancho a bust? And, is Antony headed the same way too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walters_19_MuFc

Antony has played better for Utd than Sancho has in 18 months.
Hmmm, I dont know about that. Sancho has had some stand out games. Granted, Antony has been here for a short period, I cant think of a game (maybe I'm wrong), where he was good throughout.

Blood Mage

They just don't have any athleticism, which wouldn't be an issue if they were Bernardo Silva-style wide playmakers with amazing technical ability but they're not. They're both traditional wide attackers and that type of player doesn't typically succeed in this league if they're not strong and quick.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Antony has been pretty useful and actually quite impressive for someone his age.

It's actually getting genuinely annoying how stupid this forum is in criticising our own players. Barely any of them have done anything or performed in a manner worthy of more than mild criticism for months....and the one exception has been booted out of the club.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Antony has been pretty useful and actually quite impressive for someone his age.

It's actually getting genuinely annoying how stupid this forum is in criticising our own players. Barely any of them have done anything or performed in a manner worthy of more than mild criticism for months....and the one exception has been booted out of the club.
I can't understand how people think Sancho and Antony are similar in pace and acceleration.
Antony clearly has more of both, Sancho looks very Sanchez-esque in not having enough to get past anyone.

Dannn411

They just don't have any athleticism, which wouldn't be an issue if they were Bernardo Silva-style wide playmakers with amazing technical ability but they're not. They're both traditional wide attackers and that type of player doesn't typically succeed in this league if they're not strong and quick.
Yup. They both lack the same critical quality needed to excel as a winger in the premier league. Directness. Even if you don't have breakaway speed, you need to have the mindset to take your opposite marker on every time you touch the ball and neither of them have that mindset. Bernardo isn't fast but every time Bernardo played wide, he was always looking to take his man on.

And this excuse of needing a good fullback to excel simply does not fly for me. If you are great winger, you do not need any help at all to beat a man and create a chance. That is the very reason why great wingers are priced so highly. Won't call either player a bust just yet but they both need to shape up quickly. There's too much on Rashford's shoulders and he needs help from both of them.

Yakuza_devils

I have seen enough of Sancho in Germany to be confident that he will come good. Hope he will find his feet in EPL soon, surprised that he took so long. Now he has improve his physical shape and needs to play to get more confident, hope he will be our Rashford 2.0 soon.

For Antony, he was never standout in Eredivise or CL. However, we should trust ETH because he know what's he doing and splashed huge money to get him. He must has a major plan for Antony and for the price it will be something big, hopefully.

berbasloth4

The boys haven't finished growing both mentally and physically give them a chance.

What I would like to see us maybe try is with antony liking to try go to the byline then turns back on to his left before crossing maybe now we have a target man In weighorst try antony on the left when rashford rest so he will get chances to get more crosses in.

Football is well more than an 11 a side game you need rotation and you need replacements and with rashford martial garnacho antony sancho elanga and weighorst there aren't too many teams with that much depth.

SirScholes

A classic case of making things up to suit your own narrative here!

Explain where I said he was lifting trees?

I think of you actually read what I put again I claimed that I would have quite happily taken a 5 goal output from Antony thus far, as in comparison to Silva and Grealish he has a better output in that regard.

But feel free to carry on making stuff up to suit your own point of view.
Better in goals but thats such a lazy comparison, silva brings so much to the team.
For me he’s doing ok.
You’re mistake was comparing him to one of the worlds best players

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Better in goals but thats such a lazy comparison, silva brings so much to the team.
For me he’s doing ok.
You’re mistake was comparing him to one of the worlds best players
I was comparing his goal output to one of the worlds best players, to which he is beating him.

Remind me, who's mistake was that?

He's doing fine, not great, could do better, but the output is there.

Withnail

Both very young. Let's give them a bit of time.

Sancho's back training with the team so hopefully he can slot in and give us something different in the second half of the season. Antony's only in the door and gave a lot more going forward at Ajax so I'll reserve judgment for now. He is worrying one footed but apparently he's working on that.

SirScholes

I was comparing his goal output to one of the worlds best players, to which he is beating him.

Remind me, who's mistake was that?

Which is pointless, there are plenty of players who have scored more than silva? It means eff all

Pleased we found some common ground

Malone_Post

0 assists in 18 games is a genuinely horrific output for a winger. And 5 goals in 18, while decent, isn’t really anything to write home about either.

Right now he’s failing the eye test, he’s failing the statistical analysis, and he’s failing in his output. Only people with incredibly red tinted specs would have him down as having a good season or playing well.

Champ

Which is pointless, there are plenty of players who have scored more than silva? It means eff all

Pleased we found some common ground
Ah, because of course goals aren't the currency of football.

Don't worry Antony, please don't bother scoring goals, it's pointless :lol: :lol:

Champ

0 assists in 18 games is a genuinely horrific output for a winger. And 5 goals in 18, while decent, isn’t really anything to write home about either.

Right now he’s failing the eye test, he’s failing the statistical analysis, and he’s failing in his output. Only people with incredibly red tinted specs would have him down as having a good season or playing well.
Right now he's a new player, in a new league, at a new club at a young age, who has scored more than established players like Grealish and Silva.

But yeah, of course he's a flop because he's a United player and isn't scoring a goal a game.

Could he do better? Sure he could. But he could also be doing a lot worse.

As long as he keeps scoring, I'm all good with his output.

Crashoutcassius

Sancho was one of the most exciting youth talents in England. He went to Germany and put up the best numbers in world football bar Messi, over a number of seasons. There is a player in there. Completely possible ETH doesn't fancy him, some players don't suit some managers.

The media circus around him now doesn't help. Might be best for him to move on if he can't break into the United team this year

DarkXaero

Sancho somehow became a better player on the CAF by not playing any games. It's always amusing how perceptions work in sports. Sancho's early season performances were masked by goals, now I'm hearing the same criticism for Antony, with claims that Sancho was better.

r0663664

Worships Man City
ETH paid huge money for Antony because he wants to left footed player on the right, just like he wants a left footed CB in defence. He is only familiar with Dutch league therefore Antony was the only choice. He wanted to know if United will back him fully. I think after this season, he will realise that there are a few good quality left footed right wingers in the EPL. I do see signing another right winger within 2 years if Antony does prove the doubters wrong.

SirScholes

Ah, because of course goals aren't the currency of football.

Don't worry Antony, please don't bother scoring goals, it's pointless :lol: :lol:
Yes they are. The team aren’t getting enough of them.
It’s a very basic way of comparing a player, if his general game was anywhere near the others then ok
But when we are struggling to close games out and dropping points, I’d rather a player contributed to 2 team goals than score 1 himself if that makes sense. Burnley he scores a screamer then was toothless for the rest of the game

Otherwise we might as well get Ronaldo back because he scored goals

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Right now he's a new player, in a new league, at a new club at a young age, who has scored more than established players like Grealish and Silva.

But yeah, of course he's a flop because he's a United player and isn't scoring a goal a game.

Could he do better? Sure he could. But he could also be doing a lot worse.

As long as he keeps scoring, I'm all good with his output.
Why would you compare only goals scored? The main criticism for Antony is that he does not create chances.
Antony 3 goals 0 assists and 0,04 xAG per 90' (2 percentile for expected assists compared to other wingers and attacking mids!).
Grealish 2 goals 3 assists, xAG 0,33 per 90'.
Silva 2 goals and 5 assists, xAG 0,14 per 90'. To be honest I don't know how he got 5 assists, he always seem to be playing very deep when I see him.

So mentioning only goals is manipulating, since the total G+A is what matters. Grealish and Silva play in a better team, so it's pointless to criticise Antony for not matching those numbers, but I just don't think the argument you made is fair.

Anyway, if Antony kept scoring at this ratio I'd say its a good first season. But it seems very likely he will not, he massively outperformed his xG with those 3 goals in first 3 games so we have to be prepared he will struggle with numbers. His absolute lack of creativity is something that is quite bizarre though, hard to explain how can he have so terrible stats in that aspect of the game.

lysglimt

Scout
If you look at the Sancho youtube compilations he's an all action, dribbling winger with mad skills and pace. He's not really been that sort of player at all for us. Antony is too one footed so it's easy to read what he's going to do. He'll probably score 5-10 goals cutting in and curling one, and one can only hope he'll end up like Robben in that he's a one trick pony, but that trick works 90% of the time.

They both have the chance to make that ring spot their own, and it all depends on who has the stones to take it.
Egil Olsen (the norwegian coach) was an expert commentator for Norwegian TV, and he once described Andrei Kanchelskis like this: You know what he is gonna do (kick the ball and run), you know where he is gonna do it (always on the defenders left side - his right), but you dont know WHEN he is gonna do it.

Basically - Kanchelskis just kicked the ball past the player and ran - but he was so quick, it was near impossible to stop. He was indeed a one-trick pony - he was still near impossible to stop. So sometimes that is enough

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Why would you compare only goals scored? The main criticism for Antony is that he does not create chances.
Antony 3 goals 0 assists and 0,04 xAG per 90' (2 percentile for expected assists compared to other wingers and attacking mids!).
Grealish 2 goals 3 assists, xAG 0,33 per 90'.
Silva 2 goals and 5 assists, xAG 0,14 per 90'. To be honest I don't know how he got 5 assists, he always seem to be playing very deep when I see him.

So mentioning only goals is manipulating, since the total G+A is what matters. Grealish and Silva play in a better team, so it's pointless to criticise Antony for not matching those numbers, but I just don't think the argument you made is fair.

Anyway, if Antony kept scoring at this ratio I'd say its a good first season. But it seems very likely he will not, he massively outperformed his xG with those 3 goals in first 3 games so we have to be prepared he will struggle with numbers. His absolute lack of creativity is something that is quite bizarre though, hard to explain how can he have so terrible stats in that aspect of the game.
To create chances you need a striker. City have Haaland yet we barely have martial on the pitch or inside the box.
Judge anthony next year when we have one.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
To create chances you need a striker. City have Haaland yet we barely have martial on the pitch or inside the box.
This is true (and I mentioned this in my post in reference to Silva and Grealish at City), but we have some players who create chances.

To put this into perspective, in terms of creativity / chances creation, Antony is between McTominay and Van de Beek. So far he creates literally nothing. Hope that changes, lack of striker is one factor but there's something else wrong.

dove

This reminds me of constant excuses for Pogba. He needs this or that, basically 10 other top drawer players around him for him to not look bad. There is something fundamentally wrong with Antony and it's not because of his teammates. So far he has been our right forward version of VdB.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
How do you expect supporters to forget about transfer fees when judging our players if we use it, in part, to judge oppo's players? This isn't some Orwellian world we live in. A players skill and potential is just part of a bigger picture. They don't exist in a void.

Status
Not open for further replies.