Is signing nobody a possibility?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
We reported financial losses in the last quarter, and the income was 30m less than in the same quarter one year ago. For every match without fans, we lose 5m or so compared to other seasons (which is why we acquired the 150m new debt, to cover the operational expenses). The pandemic is affecting us and every other team, even the likes of City are being very careful.
Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you meant if we don’t sign anyone it will cost us 100 - 150m. My fault matey.

Denis79

We do need signings to close the gap between us and the top teams but I'll understand if we don't sign any significant players all things considered.

rollingstoned1

How does that make sense though? The Adidas reduction is only like £20-25m so why would missing out make them spend £150m to get back in.

I honestly think what happens is we finish 2nd/3rd and they think we are moving in the right direction. Then instead of putting our foot down and accelerating we just hold steady and think some light tinkering is all that’s needed to continue the progress.
This is one fallacious and logically inconsistent myth that never refuses to die for want of both a coping mechanism and a scapegoat on here. People really need to decide what they want. You can't both criticise Woodward and by definition the glazers for being tight and also.whine that we don't have a dof who will help us recruit properly because we are wasting too much money.

lsd

The Oracle
It is if we keep on chasing lost causes . This window is like a flashback of Moyes's pursuit of Fabregas where we kept going after one player who didn't want to play for us and never seemed to have any plan b

eire-red

I doubt it's a possibility, but what would be more plausible is that we end up getting none of our top targets and end up with a panic buy, similar to Fellaini in the summer of 2013.

Either scenario is a complete disaster I think. We're in arguably our best shape post Fergie. We've a young, talented team finally finding some consistency in their game, some real leaders finally on the pitch, and it feels like we've finally built up some momentum as a club again.

Not strengthening the squad would completely erode that momentum and undermine all of the great work the management team and the players did since the introduction of Bruno. We've secured CL football, and the cash influx that that brings. Now is the time to invest once more and hope to close that gap even more. Not doing so is condemning the club to another disappointing season.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
If you are not going to sign a 100m player then surely invest in other positions as with teams level or below us like Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal are investing and will continue to do so in the case of the latter two after the bad seasons they had the only way is up for them now that they are used to their new managers and showed signs of good form and as it stands Chelsea are comfortably finishing ahead of us. City are buying and will obviously finish over us and even with minor buys Liverpool remain miles ahead of us when we should be closing the gap.There is a genuine possibility we have a repeat of the 18/19 season and we get left behind AGAIN, finish outside the top 4 AGAIN and find ourselves having to spend to get CL AGAIN. Not signing players this summer should not be looked at as an excuse it is sheer, utter and gross incompetence especially when clubs with vastly superior resources to us are already investing. We are one of 4 PL clubs yet to sign players for Gods sake
which I'm sure we are looking to do, but we don't want to spend just for the sake of signing someone as we have a MASSIVE squad, we don't need squad players, we need players who are going to at least be in the conversation for a first-team place.
Finding players, in that vein who aren't in the unrealistic money in this financial crisis bracket, who are going in improve our first team, is not easy, and this isn't the summer to gamble on maybe they will come good.
What we don't want to this summer is just buying because other teams are making some signings we need to make signings if they are the right players at the right price.
Spending across football is going to be a fraction of what it normally is and fans need to get their heads around that.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
4 or 5 sold or loan out and 1 player signed before the transfer window closes more of possibility.

Since the first transfer window under Ole in January 2019

Sold, loaned out or released.

Fellaini
Herrera
Rojo
Smalling
Valencia
Lukaku
Sánchez
Darmian
Young
Gomes

Bought or loaned in

Maguire
James
Bruno
Wan Bissaka
Ighalo
yep but our squad is still massive
De Gea
Henderson
Romero
Grant
Wan-bissaka
Fosu-Mensah
Dalot
Lindleof
Bailly
Jones
Maguire
Smalling
Tuanzebe
Rojo
Wiilliams
Shaw
Matic
McTominay
Fernandez
Pereira
Pogba
Fred
Greenwood
Mata
Lingard
Rashford
James
Martial
Ingalo

And thats even before you start talking about youth players who need game time!

We aren't suffering from the fact we are short of numbers, in a lot of positions we have 3 players. We really need to sell players, especially centrebacks and goalkeepers. And only bring players in if they are a long term upgrade on what we have and that simply may not doable in the current climate.

Sparky Rhiwabon

People need to grow up and get a grip. I'm certainly not an advocate of Woodward but saying things like 'Woodward will just blame COVID for his incompetencies...' etc etc. is ludicrous.

We are in the middle of a pandemic, people are losing their jobs, countries are entering recessions and there is a huge cloud of uncertainty about the future. Yet people want us to sign players like its Football manager. How far detached from reality are some of you?
Didn’t Woody say that we would be well placed in the current situation to take advantage of the transfer market?

lysglimt

Scout
No its not a possibility - but what is a possibility is that we will panic and sign players we shouldnt have

::sonny::

Would be stupid to make big deals now, there will be another lookdown during this winter, you could get discounted players next year

Pav1878

Getting Thiago is not a no brainer. We have four players in that position. Four players all vying to start. So you'd then bring in an old player to disrupt that? No thanks. I'd like Thiago over two of our options but that is irrelevant based on where our squad is at. We have a lot more important positions to focus on.

And this is why we thankfully have professionals making the decisions, even if fans don't like the result.
:lol: ok mate. The fact that Thiago is better than Matic, Fred, mctominay irrelevant is it?

And the same professionals making the decisions are the ones who brought in Sanchez and countless other transfer failures?

ThinkTank@Cafe

Reading posts at the Cafe and “experts” elsewhere, I came to conclusion that a huge factor is kinda overlooked. Everyone is focused on intra-industry problems such as fans admission and TV rights money.

But there is a factor as big. The world in the middle of the deepest economic crisis since...ever? I doubt that US Economy fell by 32% even during Great Depression. GDP in major nation down by tens of %.

Demand is lower, so advertising budgets should be cut globally. This will affect everyone in football: FIFA, UEFA, national federations, and the leagues.

Wages/transfer will be affected in the long. Business owners are aware of the scenario. They just don’t want to commit to the long term deals now.

Thus, market is almost dead. Transfer activity is hampered by uncertainty. It’s almost impossible to sell. If you can’t sell, you can’t budget your wage exposure and future cash flow.

A “No transfer” window is unlikely, but it looks like United will avoid big buys and wages.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Buying players is easy. Buying the right player a lot harder.
Buying any player has been a challenge for us in recent times. And who is the right player? No one can really tell. If it was us who had signed Ziyech and Werner would they not have improved our team?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Buying any player has been a challenge for us in recent times. And who is the right player? No one can really tell. If it was us who had signed Ziyech and Werner would they not have improved our team?
Who would Werner play in front of?