Is Southgate underrated by the CAF?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He is, but it's a very fecking low bar.

I would 100% take Ole back over Southgate, though. Southgate would be an absolutely woeful appointment.
I am not saying that Ole is good enough to manage United however Southgate makes Ole look like Klopp.

Robbie Boy

I am not saying that Ole is good enough to manage United however Southgate makes Ole look like Klopp.
Oh I agree he's better, but the bar is low there.

As I said; if it's a choice between the two, I easily pick Ole. Ole done a passable job in some ways, whereas I feel that Southgate would be Moyes all over again.

Donut

Why is this guy not even mentioned under any articles of Liverpool candidates? The ABU media knows he’s woeful and they’re peddling the Southgate to United story, feckers. Hopefully Ratcliff/Berrada aren’t this dumb.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Oh I agree he's better, but the bar is low there.

As I said; if it's a choice between the two, I easily pick Ole. Ole done a passable job in some ways, whereas I feel that Southgate would be Moyes all over again.
There's no doubt that Ole wasn't good enough as manager and I was one of the first Ole out. However I sometimes wonder if Ole could do a job as INEOS 'head coach' role assuming we get the right people in (CEO, Sporting director etc) + we flank him with McKenna and Carrick. The head coach role is diluted to mainly two things ie keeping the dressing room happy and tactics. Ole can do the former while Mckenna seem not bad with the latter.

I believe the ship had sailed for Ole however if I had to choose between Southgate and Mckenna then I'll choose the latter. I would actually choose McKenna ahead of Potter as well.

Robbie Boy

There's no doubt that Ole wasn't good enough as manager and I was one of the first Ole out. However I sometimes wonder if Ole could do a job as INEOS 'head coach' role assuming we get the right people in (CEO, Sporting director etc) + we flank him with McKenna and Carrick. The head coach role is diluted to mainly two things ie keeping the dressing room happy and tactics. Ole can do the former while Mckenna seem not bad with the latter.

I believe the ship had sailed for Ole however if I had to choose between Southgate and Mckenna then I'll choose the latter. I would actually choose McKenna ahead of Potter as well.
I think the ship has definitely sailed for Ole. However, your point is interesting; had INEOS come in years ago when Ole, McKenna and Carrick were here, could we have had something that worked? Maybe not, but it would have been interesting given what McKenna and Carrick have done since they left.

And yes, I would definitely take McKenna over Potter. I feel Potter would definitely fail here, whereas McKenna is a more unknown entity. I feel Southgate would be a complete shitshow.

Stadjer

Name one game Southgate played against a superior team that he won? Ole did that plenty of times
Dont think that is really fair though. Ole had a lot more chances to do so as a club manager. The only superior team that England ever played is France and England almost won that. England was a missed penalty by Harry 1 and a mistake by Harry 2 away from winning that game. Southgate did lose to some inferior teams (Italy and Croatia although those are still quite good teams) but so has Ole because sometimes that just happens.

In my opinion both are average managers but players like them and they create those 'good vibes'.

criticalanalysis

Both relegated a team and somehow ended up at a way bigger job than they were qualified to get based on previous achievements. Both also did well enought with the talented squads they had to not be labeled a failure but a better manager could likely have done more with those squads.
Pretty much. Both are veteran ex-players of their respective club/international team that comes with the territory of 'getting it' and their personal experiences lends themselves well to the players but this is the majority of their expertise/skill of the job. It's a huge one for sure, however, their tactics, coaching and other details are basically below par or average at best.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I dunno about par, his record against top 10 opposition given the talent he has is terrible. He has had unbelievably kind draws in tournaments and has snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. His approach to ET against Italy was pretty pathetic the game was England's if they made subs and went fir it.
Eh. It's still Italy in a final. The most likely outcome was always penalties. They lost to Croatia, who had Modric-Brozovic-Rakitic in midifeld with Mandzukic and Perisic up top, Italy in the midst of a 30+ record setting unbeaten run, and France. Losing to all 3, especially in the way they did, is par for the course, pretty much. Those are 50/50 games, come down to luck and players not screwing up more than anything. If Kane doesn't screw up England might have won 2 of those

Lee565

Southgate is not even in top 3 of the best current English managers

Pintu

Eh. It's still Italy in a final. The most likely outcome was always penalties. They lost to Croatia, who had Modric-Brozovic-Rakitic in midifeld with Mandzukic and Perisic up top, Italy in the midst of a 30+ record setting unbeaten run, and France. Losing to all 3, especially in the way they did, is par for the course, pretty much. Those are 50/50 games, come down to luck and players not screwing up more than anything. If Kane doesn't screw up England might have won 2 of those
When it’s 50/50 games and you lose 3 of 3 it is gootta be more than luck…

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
When it’s 50/50 games and you lose 3 of 3 it is gootta be more than luck…
It is. Kane pissing away a 2 vs gk against Croatia and a penalty against France is not really luck, it's just Kane fecking up

GueRed

Definitely.

You'd think he was absolutely useless with some of the comments I've seen and heard the last couple of weeks.

The disrespect isn't surprising considering the anti-english bias on here though.

He comes across as a decent football man and from the outside looks to have built a good solid club culture at national level and an environment where the England players now actually seem to enjoy linking up and representing their country.

Personally though should ten Hag get the chop he wouldn't be on top of my list and I doubt he'd be top of United's list either.....

Kwabs

Supports
Barcelona
Definitely.

You'd think he was absolutely useless with some of the comments I've seen and heard the last couple of weeks.

The disrespect isn't surprising considering the anti-english bias on here though.

He comes across as a decent football man and from the outside looks to have built a good solid club culture at national level and an environment where the England players now actually seem to enjoy linking up and representing their country.

Personally though should ten Hag get the chop he wouldn't be on top of my list and I doubt he'd be top of United's list either.....
I'm not sure how impassioned criticism of Southgate can be ascribed to 'anti-English bias' when there are numerous English people that are more dismissive of him than any foreigner. Rather the negativity and scepticism comes from examination of the actual facts when you consider his negligible career pre-England and his repeatedly coming up short in big moments as England boss.

The-Mezzala

Absolutely not. He has inherited the most talented pool of English players since 66 and won nothing. Also factoring in other national teams like Spain, Italy , Germany and Holland having massive regressions and he still hasn’t capitalised. He relegated Middlesbrough. His love affair for both Phillips and Henderson is sickening. His lack
Of playing time for talented footballers like Foden, Maddison and Grealish is shocking. I want this man nowhere Old Trafford . He is a bang average manager.