Is Teddy Sheringham underappreciated by United fans?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Played a crucial role at the business end of our greatest ever season & made massive impact off the bench with the opening goal in the cup final & a goal+assist in the CL final. Quite frankly we would not have won the Treble without him. He also won a PFA player of the year with us.

Yet, he’s never really spoken of as a United legend & nobody ever really highlights his contribution. Fans seem to have fonder memories of players like Rafael & Hernandez then Teddy, he’s certainly not seen in the same light as his fellow super sub Ole.

gormless

All I’m saying is, in the 1999 Champions League final two of our subs scored goals. One of them scored the first goal and set up the second. As pointed out by OP.

Ole rightly became a beloved figure mostly due to this but Teddy didn’t. Seems unfair

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

All I’m saying is, in the 1999 Champions League final two of our subs scored goals. One of them scored the first goal and set up the second.

Ole rightly became a beloved figure mostly due to this but Teddy didn’t
Yeah. Teddy also got the opener in the FA cup final too.

Ole seems like a nicer guy & stuck around longer I suppose?

This isn’t an Ole hate thread by the way. He’s rightfully seen as a legend for his contribution as a player.

Andy_Cole

Think unfortunately for Teddy he doesn’t seem to have the best personality. His beef with Andy Cole comes to mind. Plus he didn’t really end his career here. The OP is right, he’s absolutely a legend.

He seems to be talked at the same breath as Berbatov though, which is very unfair.

GlasgowCeltic

Not fully aware of the history between him and Andy Cole but he generally seems to be considered the villain of it

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
No. He gets a fair shout on here.

Highly intelligent footballer but not consistent enough to be a certain starter. It’s irrelevant thatsome people feel doesn’t get enough credit. Cole and Yorke had to be our first 2 strikers and Ole and teddy were great impact players. Ole will get more credit because he probably was the best finisher in the club

Inigo Montoya

Think unfortunately for Teddy he doesn’t seem to have the best personality. His beef with Andy Cole comes to mind. Plus he didn’t really end his career here. The OP is right, he’s absolutely a legend.

He seems to be talked at the same breath as Berbatov though, which is very unfair.
He’s not a Utd legend

Handré1990

He is absolutely a legend, a Spurs legend... Gets his fair dues as far as I’m concerned. A very good player in his day.

GueRed

Top Premier League striker

As Big Ron would say he was 'lightening slow'
But Intelligent striker, good positional sense, great in the air, fantastic link up play and good finisher

Was made scapegoat for our failings in the 97/98 season. Started well that season but his form dropped dramatically around Jan/Feb '98.
A lot fans (especially northern fans) hated him, he had that flash cockney wideboy persona about him tbf..

He eventually won everyone over..

FrenchToastMafia

Supports
Celtic
I think he's underrated in the wider footballing world in general, but I can't comment on it from the perspective of a Man Utd fan.

Inigo Montoya

Top Premier League striker

As Big Ron would say he was 'lightening slow'
But Intelligent striker, good positional sense, great in the air, fantastic link up play and good finisher

Was made scapegoat for our failings in the 97/98 season. Started well that season but his form dropped dramatically around Jan/Feb '98.
A lot fans (especially northern fans) hated him, he had that flash cockney wideboy persona about him tbf..

He eventually won everyone over..
He really didn’t win everyone over but they stopped viewing him as a cockney wide boy.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Think we had this exact thread a couple of months back.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
He was Cantona’s replacement and pissed a lot of people off at the tail end of the 97/98 season when he seemed to be holding back and saving himself for the World Cup. I really respect that he then stuck it out with us and went on to do what he did, so I’m definitely a fan. But I think he’s rated fairly by most of us.

Inigo Montoya

He was Cantona’s replacement and pissed a lot of people off at the tail end of the 97/98 season when he seemed to be holding back and saving himself for the World Cup. I really respect that he then stuck it out with us and went on to do what he did, so I’m definitely a fan. But I think he’s rated fairly by most of us.
We had a ready made replacement for Cantona in Bergkamp who was having a torrid time at Inter. We didn’t move quick enough

GenZRed

I didn't even know he set up Ole's winner.

His contribution to the CL win is overshadowed by Ole's winner, which is a shame but it is understandable that the last minute winner takes the majoirty of attention. Not to say its necessarily justified.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
We had a ready made replacement for Cantona in Bergkamp who was having a torrid time at Inter. We didn’t move quick enough
Bergkamp was already with Arsenal 2 years when Cantona retired.

Mainoldo

Well he was number 3 out of the famous four. So defo underrated when you consider who we call legend.

Inigo Montoya

Bergkamp was already with Arsenal 2 years when Cantona retired.
My point is that you had a lad who was named after Dennis Law, a Utd fan who was crying out to leave Inter. I know we had Cantona but as Gary Lineker pointed out way back then we could have bought him and groomed him to be cantona’s successor

GueRed

Cantona retired in '97
Bergkamp was already at Arsenal. No chance Dein and Wenger would've sold him. Player was happy in London as well

Summer '97 to replace Eric we were heavily linked to the likes Juninho, Ravanelli, Batistuta

31 yrs old Sheringham I must admit was a bit of a let down to the transfer muppet in me.:)

Foxbatt

I didn't even know he set up Ole's winner.

His contribution to the CL win is overshadowed by Ole's winner, which is a shame but it is understandable that the last minute winner takes the majoirty of attention. Not to say its necessarily justified.
Without him there would have been no treble. He scored in the FA Cup Final and then scored the equalizer the CL Final and set up the winner for Ole. He did more to win the CL Final than Ole did and yet he is ignored because he did not score the winner.
Cole's beef with him was not at United but with England and before they joined at United. Teddy refused to shake his hand when he was subbed for Cole.

Gopher Brown

He was more of a Tottenham and West Ham player than a Man Utd player. He had already made his name elsewhere before he joined us. Kinda like how Ibrahimovic or Berbatov are never going to be regarded as Man Utd ‘legends,’ even though they were quite good for us.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

He was more of a Tottenham and West Ham player than a Man Utd player. He had already made his name elsewhere before he joined us. Kinda like how Ibrahimovic or Berbatov are never going to be regarded as Man Utd ‘legends,’ even though they were quite good for us.
He played a huge part in our greatest ever season. We literally would not have won the treble without him. Also, how is he more West Ham? he played for United for longer than West Ham & won tons of trophies with us, including a player of the year award. He was at West Ham when he was about 38 & long past it. Makes no sense.

Comparing him to Ibra, who was here for 1 season & finished 6th is ridiculous & proves my point correct that he’s greatly underappreciated.

Foxbatt

He played a huge part in our greatest ever season. We literally would not have won the treble without him. Also, how is he more West Ham? he played for United for longer than West Ham & won tons of trophies with us, including a player of the year award. He was at West Ham when he was about 38 & long past it. Makes no sense.

Comparing him to Ibra, who was here for 1 season & finished 6th is ridiculous & proves my point correct that he’s greatly underappreciated.
I remember his first match against us at OT after he left us and he got subbed. He nearly went to the Home Dugout. Must have forgotten that he was no longer playing for us and just on memory control.

Gopher Brown

There’s no logic when determining arbitrary ‘legend’ status.

redshaw

Yes I think he is.

Said it before but the Late in May song should be Ole and Teddy scored in extra time.

Teddy made a great contribution and we wouldn't be winning the treble without him. He came up with a goal or setup when things weren't going for Cole or Yorke. Good job Fergie knows what he's doing as some of the match going fans used to sing about him having a piano on his back.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I loved him. One of my favourite players ever. At the time, he was 2nd only to Beckham for me. I think be deserves more love, yes!

Charlie Foley

Was a weird year that 2001 season, Utd simultaneously stale and dominant
Well, the latter caused the former. I do think it’s interesting that so much drifting occurred while we had Sir Alex and Roy Keane around: on the one hand, people claim we wouldn’t put up with a lot of what seems to happen in our squad with them around, but on the other hand our “failings” back then were still better than most post Fergie seasons and would probably be celebrated now as a step in the right direction

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
My point is that you had a lad who was named after Dennis Law, a Utd fan who was crying out to leave Inter. I know we had Cantona but as Gary Lineker pointed out way back then we could have bought him and groomed him to be cantona’s successor
You'll buy a player to groom your best player who was in his prime at 28?

It's easy to say we should have gotten him in upon hindsight, but absolutely no one would have expected Eric to retire so early.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Played a crucial role at the business end of our greatest ever season & made massive impact off the bench with the opening goal in the cup final & a goal+assist in the CL final. Quite frankly we would not have won the Treble without him. He also won a PFA player of the year with us.

Yet, he’s never really spoken of as a United legend & nobody ever really highlights his contribution. Fans seem to have fonder memories of players like Rafael & Hernandez then Teddy, he’s certainly not seen in the same light as his fellow super sub Ole.
I started a thread on this a good while ago, I think the general consensus was he was a good player, very professional but because of his links with Spurs he wasn't seen as a legend, which is understandable. For me, he was an incredabley gifted technical player and probably one of the most intelligent footballers I have ever seen.