Is ten Hag still *the one* (for you) or another placeholder?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's bizarre that our manager finished the season on a positive note and started the second one with far more doubt swirling around him. It's very clear that the immediate purchasing of Mount at the start of the transfer window had - and has - a lot of us scratching our heads, and as it turned out, our transfer window didn't go in the direction I'm sure ten Hag was assured it would, which has compounded the Mount issue.

The transfer window is an entity unto itself; we might criticise for perceived poor purchases, but the show and prove is in performance and results, no matter the esteem - or lack of - transfers are held in. Unfortunately, the start to the season has given cause for doubts shown in the aforementioned window to take on a life of their own. It seems to me that two issues are conflated, which in turn leads to a bigger outcry as one set of issues fan the flames of the other back and forth. I’m not sure any other manager in the league gets as scrutinised for purchases as our own. Granted all(?) other clubs have moved out to a new model removing managerial autonomy, but still, someone like Pep “literally “ throws players away that don’t work out and just orders more in - there seems to be no taint to his reputation for his numerous terrible buys, and yet ten Hag is going through the mill for two expensive purchases in particular. Likewise, Klopp had the perfect storm where the club hit the jackpot on buys and players coming through all at once, but since then, he’s not hung out to dry for his bad buys because of credit accrued in the proverbial bank that has as much to do with him as the bad buys have. It doesn’t seem logical that ten Hag is held to a different standard to the two best managers in the league who have both shown how badly they can squander money when left to their own devices - ten Hag came here as a coach, not a manager, just like they did. Is it really taken on board? Shouldn’t the buck for his signings stop at whoever is authorising them?

@cyberman made a very good point in another thread that the manager has worked without an actual striker for the majority of his time at the club. It’s so commonplace here that we don’t even factor it into the scrutiny placed upon the manager. When you take a step back, it’s a really odd thing for a fanbase to do… almost a collective cognitive dissonance.

As to the football. ten Hag’s complete team hasn’t been assembled here. We have a few tenets, but not many in the grand scheme; like Pep and Klopp, shouldn’t he be afforded the time to forge a team in his image with the players who can execute it to the wire before he’s assessed? I think this comes down to whatever faith it is you have in him as a manager; if you were already on the fence, perhaps you now doubt his actual vision and thus feel the plug needs to be pulled sooner rather than later, but what of those who were in the “Big yes to ten” camp? Has your outlook changed at all, or do you remain firmly onboard?

The ten Hag mega thread is more a place where people vent or are reactionary; what this thread asks of you is: with consideration and taking in the reality of the task at hand, are you still onside or have you seen enough to feel in your own mind that we’re still in need of that special… coach who will ultimately meet with your satisfaction?

crossy1686

career ending
I've seen this movie before and I know how it ends.

However he might genuinely get time to sort things out this time because this feels a lot like the 'last chance' to get it right when you look at the current state of things financially.

He's never been the 'one for me' but he's a good manager who's learning on the job, which is fine but he still has a way to go before he's untouchable.

From where we are now there's two options:

1. Completely back him, sell the likes of Sancho, Martial, Maguire etc. Really clear house, then give him another £500m to bring in his players. Even if that means more players like Antony and Mount come in.
2. If any of that makes you feel uncomfortable then you have to sack him this season.

Personally, I'd give it until Christmas and see what he's getting out of the team and if he's adapting to whatever the ongoing shit show is. You get the feeling that most of our issues that will plague us throughout this season aren't fixable until next summer anyway.

PiobarTaibhse

Supports
Juventus
I have a feeling he could have been "the one" but he's getting so battered on all sides that unless something changes he's going to run like hell the first chance he gets.
Given last season the proof is in the pudding but incredibly bad management have handicapped him.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

Hal9000

Fully back him, you can see what he wants to do, how he wants to play, how the club should be run. It'll take time, we should be patient.

OmarUnited4ever

I still see him as the one who can bring us success but he needs time and I can see what he is building.

My main issue first and foremost is the players themselves, they can't maintain intensity for a full game, this is not about fitness because I know Ten Hag runs them to the ground so they keep fit, it's about desire and at times I feel some players don't reflect that

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Klopp didn't come because he saw that the Glazers would undermine him constantly by running a dysfunctional football club for short term profit. That's what ETH is now experiencing.

Kaos

Yes.

Mostly because I don't see what the alternative is. We throw away the progress we've made last season and start all over again for the 4th/5th/6th/nth time since Fergie, chancing it with another manager who we don't know will be a success.

The problems in the club stem from the top down. So it won't make a difference until we feck the owners off back to Tampa and bring in a proper elite footballing structure.

Until then Ten Hag still has enough credit in the bank for us to stick by him. So he has my full backing knowing the issues we've had with injuries, the sale limbo, and the off the field shenanigans. If we're still looking a little hopeless by the New Year then I'll revise my assessment.

Jericho

The Mount purchase made more sense to me in hindsight once Amrabat came in. The Amrabat deal should have been done much sooner but that's not Ten Hag's job. Overall I think this seasons signings have been good (on paper). The bigger issue for me is Ten Hags comments after the Arsenal game that we was happy with the performance.

Giggsy13

The Mount purchase made more sense to me in hindsight once Amrabat came in. The Amrabat deal should have been done much sooner but that's not Ten Hag's job. Overall I think this seasons signings have been good (on paper). The bigger issue for me is Ten Hags comments after the Arsenal game that we was happy with the performance.
If it was onside, we’d be praising a good away performance, which it was despite the result.

Rista

I've seen this movie before and I know how it ends.

However he might genuinely get time to sort things out this time because this feels a lot like the 'last chance' to get it right when you look at the current state of things financially.

He's never been the 'one for me' but he's a good manager who's learning on the job, which is fine but he still has a way to go before he's untouchable.

From where we are now there's two options:

1. Completely back him, sell the likes of Sancho, Martial, Maguire etc. Really clear house, then give him another £500m to bring in his players. Even if that means more players like Antony and Mount come in.
2. If any of that makes you feel uncomfortable then you have to sack him this season.

Personally, I'd give it until Christmas and see what he's getting out of the team and if he's adapting to whatever the ongoing shit show is. You get the feeling that most of our issues that will plague us throughout this season aren't fixable until next summer anyway.
Neither of those options seem good imo. I'm still fully in give him time camp but I don't believe we should keep giving managers hundreds of millions to spend on "their" players and then when it goes wrong it was all for nothing. We seem to have this idea it's either how the manager says or you sack the manager. I don't believe other top clubs function this way. If any manager in the future wants to spend 90m on another Antony, someone should be able to interfere. We can't let all these big decisions to be on the manager only.

PSV

I have my doubts. The bar is CL qualification this year as well or he should be sacked. I hope things pick up after the internationals.

spiriticon

I see him as just the next guy given an opportunity to turn this sinking ship around.

If he succeeds, good stuff, he has the special touch. If not, there'll be another pretender to the throne I'm sure. He won't be the first or possibly last manager who was failed by the Glazers.

Revan

Assumptionman
There shouldn’t be a ‘the one’ manager.

Instead we should build a good structure above the manager, with the manager being an easily replaceable part. See Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern who change managers every year or two. Or in EPL, we saw Brighton changing the manager without needing to replace half of the squad.

With regards to EtH, I think he did alright last season. I think he is terrible in transfers and should not have been in charge of them. I think he is a good, but not great manager and I do not see him competing with the best managers. I have no idea how this season will go, my guess is we will end somewhere in 4th-8th place, with 4th and 5th being relative successes. But I do not expect a significant improvement from last season football wise of points wise. Saying that, because we fully committed on him (buying so many players that played for him or he is very familiar) and because we do not have a good football structure in place, unless he loses the dressing room, I think it would be wrong to fire him regardless of our results. Of course, if we change the owners, then if he does not get UCL, he should be off.

MegadrivePerson

Under the current ownership it's an impossible task really. He is currently the best man for the job though.

tomaldinho1

I've said this in other threads but he's the first sensible hire post SAF - managing an attacking teams, hands on coach, playing CL football. None of our previous manager ticked those boxes which should be the minimum for a United manager.

I actually think post Arsenal we should be a lot more positive because there is an actual striker who looks half decent up top and we have weeded out a lot of the overpaid MouOle signings now + we can play out from the back. I do think there are some big issues in the team but the aim is top four again, get through the CL groups and then challenge next season, I think we can do that.

Kaos

I don't think we played poorly against Arsenal. We had a gameplan that almost worked had it not been for VAR screwing us over. If the fine margins had swung our favour then we would have been praising Ten Hag for salvaging a win there.

He was very clear however about our performances not being good enough against the likes of Spurs, so its not like he's oblivious to our shortcomings.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Absolutely 100% the man has done a marvellous job so far, but it might get worse now before it gets better. It’s not easy completely overhauling a squad. SAF did great in his second season then it fell off a cliff while he overhauled.

In addition he did a great job of handling situations like Ronaldo, Maguire etc. Now he’s having to run a club in limbo thanks to our owners.

Red_toad

Club can't afford to get rid of him, then start yet another squad rebuild. If anything needs to change it's the owners. 8 managers since Sir Alex retired in 10 years, so I don't think the constant switching has really done anything to improve the team.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
He needs more time. Last season he improved our defence and midfield play. The next step is to improve our attack, but he has been given a lot of curveballs! Look at this list of things that are out of his control:

- Greenwood
- The Ronaldo saga
- Martial and his damn injuries
- Having a no.10 who creates more chances than anyone and still almost nothing gets converted
- The Sancho saga now
- The noise surrounding Antony now

You can blame him for signing Antony, but that's about it. Mid-season loans are tricky so I don't blame him for Wout.

Red Star One

Obviously no, because there’s not “the chosen one” who with his genius will compensate for our lackluster structure and the fact that such a giant club is ran in such a terrible manner. We can find a shiny new gaffer every couple of years and juggle between hoping a former legend turns out to be a messiah and poaching flavor of the year managers from other clubs, but it’s never going to be a sustainable model if we don’t have a proper structure in place and if we don’t prioritize investment in infrastructure and top human capital in management/scouting/footballing roles. The game is much bigger than “one genius guy to awaken a sleeping giant” for a long while now and the sooner we accept it, the better.

The Red Thinker

“Your job… is to stand by your new manager”

It’s only been a year. We’ve made great strides. I’m all in on Ten Hag.

Pav1878

Obviously no, because there’s not “the chosen one” who with his genius will compensate for our lackluster structure and the fact that such a giant club is ran in such a terrible manner. We can find a shiny new gaffer every couple of years and juggle between hoping a former legend turns out to be a messiah and poaching flavor of the year managers from other clubs, but it’s never going to be a sustainable model if we don’t have a proper structure in place and if we don’t prioritize investment in infrastructure and top human capital in management/scouting/footballing roles. The game is much bigger than “one genius guy to awaken a sleeping giant” for a long while now and the sooner we accept it, the better.
well said

Giggsy13

It’s actually incredible this discussion is being had and shows how fickle and soft the supporters have become. The club and squad are facing adversity much of it nothing to do with the manager. Before I hear the typical bullshit that it starts with the manager, does the growing injury list, petulant players (Sancho and Antony), glazers leeching or failure to sell players have anything to do with him? Of course not.

Last season he was roundly praised for setting standards and getting rid of big egos like Ronaldo. Now some have gone to the point of blaming ten Hag for not knowing about Antony’s alleged abuse. People need to get a grip. He’s in year 2 of trying to build the squad into a title contender whilst trying to manage an incompetent football structure. He deserves time and should be allowed to manage thru the current mess.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
It should be clear to us by now that the manager isn’t really the issue. We’re stuck with failure until the owners decide to cash in and ruin another club.

Delano

100%. I think we all developed collective amnesia after the 21/22 season. EtH took over when we were on the absolute floor. Squad Mutiny. Protests. Worst finish in PL history. Half the senior squad leaving. The Greenwood case. We were in utter disarray.

After that season, we were all fearing the worst. After two games of EtH, we thought we'd be bottom half.

Finishing third and winning a trophy was beyond anything I expected. Such was, and still is, the absolute state of the club.

People love to say, "This is the bare minimum for Manchester United." Based on what? What we did 10 years ago? People love to quote how much he's spent, look at Chelsea for how that can work out.

EtH has got us back into the mix, and now we are expecting to be challenging.

He isn't without criticism, though. I have serious questions about the transfer strategy he is spearheading and the whole setup.

I also think Barcelona was our peak, and since then, we haven't reached those levels at all. If this continues long term, I'll be asking more questions.

However, I still think he deserves the time to readdress the squad and build. Particularly with all the shit that comes with this job.

lsd

The Oracle
Had my doubts at the start it wasn't like he was this young up and coming manager after all but gave him a chance and almost win me round especially with winning a cup and securing top four.

However there are too many warning signs in how we play how he approaches games and how reluctant he is to change things that are clearly not working.

He did well with the Ronaldo and Maguire situation less so with tactics and his unwillingness to give some promising young players a decent run.

Our away record is shocking set pieces are shocking we have no style of play and I'm not convinced by his man management.

He has spent an awful amount of money on some questionable signings while ignoring other areas we perhaps needed more

If we don't get top four this season then he has to go simple as that.

saivet

I've become less convinced by him, particular since the league cup final. I still back him but I'm nowhere near as confident in him as I was when he was first appointed. My main gripes with him would be the talent id in the transfer market and I've been a bit disappointed in the football we've played under him. The away record against top sides is quite a big worry too, I remember it was used as a real point to detract from Moyes at Everton and also Poch at Soton/Spurs.

I still back him and think he'll succeed but I'm just not overwhelmingly positive, given the amount of money we've given him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's a top manager. There are a few top managers out there, don't think it's a "the one" thing but he's our guy to stay and he'll get success. Depends on how much though. Pep is the best manager around, one of the best ever, possibly the best, so it's always going to be tough to get PL success given the competition. Need the whole club pulling together, distractions cut out, years of good recruitment and the right system.

Revan

Assumptionman
“Your job… is to stand by your new manager”

It’s only been a year. We’ve made great strides. I’m all in on Ten Hag.
Considering SAF’s God-like status in our club, I genuinely think that speech was one of the most damaging things to have happened to our club.

The Ferociousness

Alarm bells started ringing when he put all his eggs in one basket chasing FDJ then went all out on antony instead of Gakpo. His talent ID is beyond questionabale. I've seen his team at ajax fall apart against the likes of benfica and spurs when he was handed everything on a plate at ajax. The best academy, the best resources and the best DOF making all transfer decisions. A baby could have won multiple titles in the dutch league in that environment.

He's unproven to me and there is this cult around him because he talks a good big game, but the results and end product leaves a lot to be desired. This philosophy of total football, which we're yet to witness is nothing but white noise. In the last 10 years I can remember there being a top dutch coach who has been able to implement total football and be successful baring LVG who again failed here

ETH seems inflexible, stubborn and arrogant, which will be his downfall here

Last edited:

Marcus

With so much controversy surrounding the club, he would do well to get 3rd again.

Giggsy13

Had my doubts at the start it wasn't like he was this young up and coming manager after all but gave him a chance and almost win me round especially with winning a cup and securing top four.

However there are too many warning signs in how we play how he approaches games and how reluctant he is to change things that are clearly not working.

He did well with the Ronaldo and Maguire situation less so with tactics and his unwillingness to give some promising young players a decent run.

Our away record is shocking set pieces are shocking we have no style of play and I'm not convinced by his man management.

He has spent an awful amount of money on some questionable signings while ignoring other areas we perhaps needed more

If we don't get top four this season then he has to go simple as that.
This narrative needs major correcting. It’s clear ten Hag is trying to implement a possession based and pressing team and we’ve seen signs of it, and the underlying stats regarding pressures and interceptions support that. We’ve just had poor luck with injuries, so patience is needed.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Considering SAF’s God-like status in our club, I genuinely think that speech was one of the most damaging things to have happened to our club.
That and the fans indulging in delusion like saying we've made great strides. If the current season is to go by, we have done...backwards.

bstb3

For me, yeah he is. The issues at the club aren't about the manager, they are far deeper and until they are resolved we won't progress. It's senseless to keep churning managers in a perpetual cycle of despair, sack, hire hope despair sack and so on. All that does is allow the Glazer regime and it's enabler sycophants to remain in perpetuity, while the club slowly erodes away.

Erik is as good as we have had since SAF, so lets keep him. Keep the pressure and focus where it should be, on the ownership and club leadership. Don't allow them to distract with a sacking and shiny new playthings, because it will change nothing.

There is only one way out of this mess.

theballisround

Too early to say.

He took a few steps in the right direction but still has no balls to bench Rashford or Bruno when needed and his selection is still weird and stubborn at times.

Looks to have an idea on how he wants to play but don't think he will be given the time. Still needs to get rid of a few and bring in a few to get close to what he wants.