Is ten Hag still *the one* (for you) or another placeholder?

Denis79

We have no reason not to back him. We're just 4 games into the new season.

TheRedHearted

Mount purchase being stupid, that is far too early to say. Too many people have it in for him, and now ETH as a result, when we haven't yet really seen him play. It's irrational.
When you say someone was backed it doesn’t matter how the players do, if anything that’s on the players and the manager. The most the owner can do is back the purchases. The glazers did that, so for you to say it’s too early to say whether he was backed or not cant be backed up

TomSkalle

Need to give him atleast 3 years.
So this and next season.
If he hasnt gotten the team to play his way by then i dont think it will ever work.

Marcus

Would any recently successful manager want the United job now. Would Pep or Klopp? Of course not. Would EtH himself (assuming he was still at Ajax), now when everything has blown up and all the instability around the club? That's a big fat no. Would a manager without a reputation to lose want this well-paying job with no prospect for success - yes, why not? We are fortunate that we currently have EtH. It is more likely he will leave at the end or his contract than be begging United to renew his as things stand so it doesn't matter if we think he is the one.

KD6-3.7

I've definitely begun losing hope that he will be a success. His player ID definitely is questionable but the big negative for me is he doesn't seem very flexible tactically and the clear lack of style of play is very worrying since that was one of the reasons many of us wanted him but the football is for the most time no different to what we have seen the last decade.

m1tch

It's early days in the season and so it can clearly go either way at this stage. Although I would say that our slow start would still be cause for concern even if we do have a big revival like last season.

Right now I think it's equally likely there won't be a big revival and we'll fail to equal last season nevermind better it. If that's the case then EtH won't complete 3 seasons.

Betson

It is becoming one of if not the hardest and most pressure job in European football , the club name is still massive but the is club itself is a total mess.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Two seasons minimum for a manager to show what he’s worth. Unless it’s utterly brilliant or abysmal. But those are outliers. Management comes with lots of ups and downs. The flavours of the month now will be derided in two months time, and vice versa. I’ve seen enough to reserve judgement until the end of the season, not 4 games into it.

He was neither the messiah nor a fraud when he was appointed. Any manager needs good infrastructure, intelligent recruitment, and some luck to succeed. A body of work should be judged over months and seasons, not weeks and games.

All Ten Hag was when we appointed him was a good manager coming into a mess of a club. And all Ten Hag currently is is a good manager at a mess of a club. Nevertheless, he has made progress in a number of areas.

Yet without ownership change, strong organisational leadership, proper infrastructure and joined up, long term strategic thinking, any manager has the deck stacked against him here.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I say we get rid of him and appoint Potter. He might need a squad of 25 players to work with though
party hmmm cool that sounds

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
The current manager is always the one for me whilst he is still in charge.

Doesn’t mean I won’t question his decisions when we’re not winning or lose a game.

erikcred

The current manager is always the one for me whilst he is still in charge.

Doesn’t mean I won’t question his decisions when we’re not winning or lose a game.
Moyes was the "one" for you when he was around?

KikiDaKats

Supports
Moyes was the "one" for you when he was around?
Yep. Did his firing change our fortunes as a club?
The inexperience was not a surprise to any fan but the lack of acceptance, that we sided with past it players that were undermining him still baffles me. None of the guys he was incapable of coaching here went on to tear up elsewhere.
Not all managers get to win trophies but they are supposed to add value to a team. If they are not supported we’d never get the value out of them.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Yes. I’ve said it plenty of times, the players are always the problem. Sell anyone that doesn’t buy into the what the manager wants.

It’s no use buying shiny new toys when the rotten eggs are still in the club.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It's a silly discussion -- everyone here needs to only look back a year or even 6 months ago and see how effusive 99% of you were of him. Nothing has changed internally/within the Club.

It's only the fans that seem to suffer from recency effect syndrome.

Besides, from a management perspective, they cannot afford to get rid of ETH. They have almost given every player that he has wanted.

Murtough has put all his eggs in the ETH basket. So he will get at least this season and the next to show a clearly defined upward trajectory.

izec

I would evaluate at the end of the season. This season will show how good and adaptable he really is. There is no hiding for him.

He has to deal with quite a lot of things, but if the club does not change, then the manager has to be world class. I truly believe this season will be make or break for him, early signs are not good for me though. Lets see what he has in his locker.

erikcred

Yep. Did his firing change our fortunes as a club?
The inexperience was not a surprise to any fan but the lack of acceptance, that we sided with past it players that were undermining him still baffles me. None of the guys he was incapable of coaching here went on to tear up elsewhere.
Not all managers get to win trophies but they are supposed to add value to a team. If they are not supported we’d never get the value out of them.
I was absolutely suprised by his statements that the PL champions should aspire to play like City and that hated rivals Liverpool would be favorites when playing (again, the PL champions) at Old Trafford. We should indeed side with any player over a manager with such a gross misunderstanding of the club. If anything, he was adding negative value.

Mainoldo

The majority of us backed a muppet for 3 years. I’m sure we can give a guy who actually has a clue, time.

However objectives have to be achieved at all times. My only problem is the ownership seem to do their best to help us not achieve these.

The_Order

Not a.thread we should be having after 1 year.

The problems at the club go beyond the football and it's affecting the manager's ability tonfonhia job. Had all his signings been ready we'd be in better shape.

Whether he is the guy or not (I think he is) doesn't matter. No elite coach can come here and succeed. Not with the glazers about.

The fish rots from the head.

Sylar

Ferguson was 'the one' to get what he did out of the different squads he had in place. Sometimes he had no business doing so especially given the lack of investment in the midfield from 2008 onwards.

The problem is I think nobody will be 'the one' with our current structure in place especially the owners we have.
I think if we had Pep, our football would be better but it would be similar to his first season at City where he will try implement a style, but then see the type of players and be let down by that. He will be allowed to bring 2/6 he wants in the window, and we will always be 4 players short.

The fact that were relying on frees / loans after a season has started (towards the end of the window) to try and fill up a squad / position says it all. The last few days should be about seeing an opportunity that wasnt there before and might not come again.

KikiDaKats

Supports
I was absolutely suprised by his statements that the PL champions should aspire to play like City and that hated rivals Liverpool would be favorites when playing (again, the PL champions) at Old Trafford. We should indeed side with any player over a manager with such a gross misunderstanding of the club. If anything, he was adding negative value.
Really

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Its time to call in the next superstar manager Kjetil Knutsen if this doesnt work out

jem

I had this lovely fantasy yesterday while waiting for the subway - the headline read that United's season was saved by two forgotten transfer figures from the summer of 2020, two seemingly throwaway purchases after the failed pursuit of Jadon Sancho. These things rarely come true, but the thought of Diallo and Pellistri coming to the rescue after the jettisoning of two 80-million flops is an intriguing one indeed.

Stacks

Never felt he was the ONE when we were linked initially. I was more happy that we have someone other than Rangnick. Therefore I have doubts as I see him as unproven but lets see what he can do when everyone is fit and we have integrated Hojlund, Amrabat and Evans

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I agree broadly although I don't know if expect us to dominate but to at least be evenly matched this season with most of those teams. I don't understand how this kind of thread has been made so quickly, it's been a bad start but there are a huge amount of external issues causing the clubs problems right now and, frankly, I don't think any teams look that great bar City so far this year. I think Poch is a good coach, always thought it was strange we didn't go for him when he was interested in coming here but I don't think he is as good as you believe - you can't really compare this early because teams haven't played other teams yet, the only team United and Chelsea have both faced is Forest at Home and United played better even ignoring the result.

PossessionShotsShots on TargetCornersxGxG (Forest)
United66189113.030.96
Chelsea7621282.281.15

Work to be done for both managers.
I believe United played better converting their chances as that tabled you showed: representing 9 shots on target to united compared to Chelsea 2. But, regardless, I feel both managers has tons of potential to break the pep and klopp hold on the premier league. Just need the right profile player in the attack. Perhaps for United that will be Holjund and perhaps for chelsea that will be nkunku. We will have to see. I feel that chelsea though are one or two players away from breaking that hold (a top keeper and a top striker), while United due to bad signings may need 3 or 4 (depending on what happening to Antony [perhaps diallo and pellstri will do better], how mount develops, and how the midfield of casemiro, eriksen and amarabat turns out).

LordSpud

Murtough has put all his eggs in the ETH basket. So he will get at least this season and the next to show a clearly defined upward trajectory.
Upward from 3rd in the league and a trophy? Never happening again within the next 5 years and you can screenshot this.

el3mel

Well, in hindsight this turned out to be right.

colombianmancunian

The guy got us third, got us on 2 finals (winning one and losing the other due to DDG’s mistakes) on last season all the while showing progress when compared to Ole and the dreadful Ragnick days. We should back him! People calling for him to get sacked are just mad. I’d understand wanting to sack him if Pep, Ancelotti or Klopp where lined up to succeed him, but currently he is the best coach for us.

Reactions: Dargonk

SirScholes

The guy got us third, got us on 2 finals (winning one and losing the other due to DDG’s mistakes) on last season all the while showing progress when compared to Ole and the dreadful Rangnick days. We should back him! People calling for him to get sacked are just mad. I’d understand wanting to sack him if Pep, Ancelotti or Klopp where lined up to succeed him, but currently he is the best coach for us.
It’s the current age we live in, too many children with zero understanding that real life is not like football manager

erikcred

Well, in hindsight this turned out to be right.
We didn't need hindsight for that. We were shite that season and City won the title. My point is that Moyes was an idiot for coming out and singing their praises instead of focussing on making us better. We never heard Benitez say that Liverpool must aspire to play like us when we were winning everything.

In the Moyes season we weren't even a tricky away fixture for Liverpool or City. Something fecking Palace managed to do. We got thrashed by both title contenders and they didn't even break a sweat. Of course now I'm used to it, but back then it actually hurt how irrelevant we were in the race.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Good first season despite the away form. Lets see how he does this season when things hopefully settle, I think he is showing enough promise.

glasgow 21

Where does it end? Sack managers and bring in someone new, they buy the players they want, some of them 2nd and 3rd choice, we don’t do well, they get sacked and we start all over.
I’m of the opinion that Christmas/New year is the time to evaluate and if he needs to go, he goes but if there is a better pattern of play along with results then he deserves to stay.
That really nice of you, if we improve he can stay . The guy hasn't had a striker of note for most of his time here. I give up.

glasgow 21

The fact is that we haven't seen us click for a full 90 minutes during his tenure. He's had two full pre seasons to make the squad click.

A top manager can make a team play good football in a matter of a couple of months and I'm not speaking about the results.
mMost managers who take a team at least have strikers at that level. We had none. Ronaldo who's legs were gone and hop a long Tony. Have a look in the mirror.

HookedOnAPhelan

They said, "I bet they'll never make it".
But just look at us holding on
We're still together, still going strong

He's still the one

fps

Yes he’s good, we have a proper manager who is going to put us back regular top 3.

Its all gone Shane Long

That really nice of you, if we improve he can stay . The guy hasn't had a striker of note for most of his time here. I give up.
Hence the Christmas/New Year idea, better than a lot of people on here who want him gone now. Sure I hope he stays on longer as he’s the best we have had post SAF.

el3mel

We didn't need hindsight for that. We were shite that season and City won the title. My point is that Moyes was an idiot for coming out and singing their praises instead of focussing on making us better. We never heard Benitez say that Liverpool must aspire to play like us when we were winning everything.

In the Moyes season we weren't even a tricky away fixture for Liverpool or City. Something fecking Palace managed to do. We got thrashed by both title contenders and they didn't even break a sweat. Of course now I'm used to it, but back then it actually hurt how irrelevant we were in the race.
I'm not defending the guy. He was clearly not up for the job, but this quote is kinda overhated.

Fts 74

No doubt about it he's still the one for me.I still think he's growing into the role of being a Utd manager which, let's face it is a job like no other certainly in England.

Has he made mistakes? of course he has but the absolute mess he's had to deal with pretty much from day 1 and is still going on has probably taken him by surprise.

Out of his signings so far, I'd say Antony has been the biggest disappointment by far, the rest have been good and I don't get the hate for Mount at all the guy has only played 2 games ffs give him a chance.Hes shifted a lot of players that most of us wanted him too, obviously 2 or 3 remain but they'll be gone sooner rather than later.

Hopefully now he has more of the players he wanted and the ones he feels he can trust, we can avoid any more serious injuries get everyone back I'm sure we'll start to see proper progress.