Is the January window going to determine where the title ends up?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This could just as easily go in the non-United forum as it relates to quite a few teams, but in relation to ourselves, bolstering the squad in January could well be pivotal, or do you disagree?

Liverpool have some serious work to do in getting a CB in. If they don't, it looks like a sure thing that they will be on shaky foundations going into the run-in.

One might argue we too need a CB, but also have pressing need for a top notch defensive and positionally able midfielder. A proper striker could do us the world of good, but they are hard to come by at the best of times, let alone in January.

Bruno was a catalyst with his introduction last January; off the back of what he has managed to do, ruling out what another such player could do for anyone chasing the title would be folly. A 'Bruno' is rare thing, but do you doubt that a number of title-chasing PL clubs won't be trying to find one to give them an edge over the competition?

Do you feel we should be looking to spend big this window or stick, and believe, in what we have here?

Judas

Open to offers
Use our current standing and platform to bolster our squad and lay a foundation that could you never know help us win the league. It's a no brainer. Don't buy shite for the sake of it, but if there's quality there to be bought? Do it.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
We still have a pressing need in shipping out some of the so-called deadwood.

Bobade

I think we do have the squad we need for the moment, there will be few clubs looking to spend big in the current climate. However, it is really dependent on who is available. If our scouting network believe that there is a game changer available from a club who is maybe struggling financially, then it could be the difference.

I'd be very surprised to see many big moves in the Premier League though.

Strelok

Sure thing, we need at least a RW. Liverpool a CB. City a striker. Who get this right will win the title. Remember my words.

Gordon S

Our squad is actually quite deep. A handful of players that doesn´t contribute much or anything at all but other than that, really strong.
We need to add 3-4 top top players that can improve our best starting 11 and those are rarely available in January. But it can happen of course.
If there is chance to get real quality in and we can find money for it then absolutely. The season is crazy and a proper push for the title doesn´t look impossible. Another top player could be the difference. Also important to keep momentum and improve every year now.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Have we been linked to anyone at all?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Whatever our defense does, it's not working out this year. AWB is not playing great, and Lindelöf and Maguire as a pairing just lacks the pace that Bailly brings, but Bailly is a glass cannon and will get injured soon.

A CB should be high on the priority list in the January window if we want to do anything.

Forwards win games, but defenses win titles.

SER19

I don't know who people are saying we should sign in January to ensure this boost. I'm one of the biggest Woodward critics here but there's no obvious Bruno waiting to be signed so when people say we will 'balls it up' who do they mean we are missing out on?

Don't get me wrong id love a January boost

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I would love to see an attacking option at right back. It would help bring a little balance to the team.
Yep, it’s a shame trippier fecked that up as he would have been a good option.

its clear AWB isn’t the right man for home games where regular attacking is required, and Laird obviously isn’t ready yet.

I don’t get why Williams hasn’t had more of a chance on the right.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It'll show the ambition of this board and how serious they are about competing. We've haven't been in this position in January since Fergie

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Don’t think any of the top teams will add anything of note

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Our defenders have hardly been great this year and the same pretty much applies to our attack bar 2.
We're literally the Bruno and Marcus show at the minute.

That sorely has to change going into the 2nd half of the campaign and the only way I can see that changing is if some other quality is brought in.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I’ll be very surprised if we sign anyone senior. Amad Diallo will join, and maybe the young Ecuadorian CM. In terms of pure numbers, that’s two in — can’t see more than that. The club will leave it to the summer, and justify it with the uncertainty of the market and how difficult it is to deal in January etc.

Outgoings: we might see a few loans. Maybe Williams and Lingard. Can’t see us binning off anyone permanently at this point.

Also agree that nobody else in the league will probably be up to much. City’s need of replacing the likes of Silva and Aguero aren’t really jobs you can do in January, Chelsea have already spent about 300m, and Spurs did a lot in the summer too. Liverpool will probably be the only one — a CB really is a must for them.

Nikelesh Reddy

This could just as easily go in the non-United forum as it relates to quite a few teams, but in relation to ourselves, bolstering the squad in January could well be pivotal, or do you disagree?

Liverpool have some serious work to do in getting a CB in. If they don't, it looks like a sure thing that they will be on shaky foundations going into the run-in.

One might argue we too need a CB, but also have pressing need for a top notch defensive and positionally able midfielder. A proper striker could do us the world of good, but they are hard to come by at the best of times, let alone in January.

Bruno was a catalyst with his introduction last January; off the back of what he has managed to do, ruling out what another such player could do for anyone chasing the title would be folly. A 'Bruno' is rare thing, but do you doubt that a number of title-chasing PL clubs won't be trying to find one to give them an edge over the competition?

Do you feel we should be looking to spend big this window or stick, and believe, in what we have here?
Nah,it’s always hard to attract your targets in january(even though we signed Bruno last January!)....I don’t expect us to sign too many players but it will be interesting to see what Liverpool do in January...

UpWithRivers

A Jan signing that will have such an impact that leads to a title win its quite rare. Even if we got Alaba or Upamecano who knows if they could hit the ground running. They could do the opposite and be a detriment for a few games till they find their feet. Not saying that we shouldn't try and sign someone but it has to be the right signing and whoever that signing is should be looked at when he's ready and not the guarantee of a title.

You can just see us signing someone and Ole feeling they are not ready and then every man his dog having a go and saying that's why we lost.

We have to see it as how do we do the best we can with the players we have - getting players into form like Martial, Greenwood, Maguire even Pogba haven't hit near their peak form yet. Can we keep Bailly and Tuanzebe fit. And on and on. If we do this it would give us a better chance than a signing I feel.
The new signing would be a super bonus, cherry on the cake.

Edit - Saying that if we get Koulibaly then Ill be on the title winner cho cho train!

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Diallo and hopefully the player from Ecuador will come in. I can’t see any other movement.

Are we even linked to anyone?

I don't know who people are saying we should sign in January to ensure this boost. I'm one of the biggest Woodward critics here but there's no obvious Bruno waiting to be signed so when people say we will 'balls it up' who do they mean we are missing out on?

Don't get me wrong id love a January boost
that’s the challenge. We have good players on every position.

aside for RW. where Diallo in coming in - it’s going to take a very big signing to make a difference to the first team.

I’m certainly not saying we can’t be improved, for for someone to make a difference in Jan, they are going to have to be very good, and this very expensive.

SER19

that’s the challenge. We have good players on every position.

aside for RW. where Diallo in coming in - it’s going to take a very big signing to make a difference to the first team.

I’m certainly not saying we can’t be improved, for for someone to make a difference in Jan, they are going to have to be very good, and this very expensive.
I agree with the idea that a signing of Bruno calibre would lead to a real title challenge. Can't think of anybody that fits the bill

maxisud

Of course

Sign an proper CB and RB

Sign RW if we have some money left

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a single transfer made for over £20m this January.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Nah,it’s always hard to attract your targets in january(even though we signed Bruno last January!)....I don’t expect us to sign too many players but it will be interesting to see what Liverpool do in January...
Though that was after a whole summer of chasing him/monitoring very strongly. Liverpool's CB position is a weird one -- they clearly need someone, but Fabinho filling in excellently might have lessened Klopp's immediate need. It's the player beside him who is normally the concern, mostly down to the fitness of Matip and Gomez.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think if Diallo can somehow come straight in and make an instant impact, it'll transform us hugely. It'll make Wan Bissaka look less inept, and add some semblence of threat from the right which has been missing since forever. It'll make us less predicitable going forward and free up space for Rashford and Cavani. Without wanting to pile pressure on him and Pellestri, if one of them can nail down a starting spot soon then it could make all the difference.

Member 90887

I'd say that it would be dumb from the board to not spend this month.

We have everything to play for. Usually, we're very far in the league, so it makes sens to leave the big buys for the summer, but this time, we're 2 points of 1st and in a good position to challenge for the title, so i fully expect a signing or two this month.

I think that, a RB is our priority right now, while AWB is very good defensively, he offers literally nothing going forward. Our attack could do with someone helping the RW on the right.

I'd have said a RW is a priority as well (a confirmed one), but i can't see the board spending for that position since we have Diallo.

So, RB --> CB --> DM in that order.

Havak

Pokemon master
All I'll say, is if we lose out on the title by a small margin and we didn't make a move in January (particularly if we could have by spending a bit more) I'll be very bitter.

Longshanks

Unless someone manages to bring in a top top player, who has an instant impact, probably not.

Liverpool will probably bring in an experienced CB, I cant see us doing any business in January TBH unless one of our top targets becomes available at an agreeable price which is highly unlikely.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Maybe yes but these things are hard to pigeon-hole. The title belongs to the team with the most endevour.

Champagne Football

I feel like we resemble the Liverpool team of Brendan Rodgers who came close to winning a league title.

I don't feel we have that title winning squad or mentality yet. The additions of Diallo and Caicedo could be huge in the long run.

But Liverpool are like a Fergie team who know how to get results no matter how they are playing. They know how to adapt even if they lose a key player, unlike Utd who would fall to pieces if Bruno had a 2 month lay-off.

But I'm very excited about Diallo and Caicedo even though they won't be fighting for a first XI spot for another year I'd imagine. But can play a role as impact sub.

Giggsy13

A CB would be ideal and we’ve been linked with the likes of Pau Torres and Milenkovic but whether the Glazers are willing to fork out the money in January for either is the issue.

Having a RB to challenge AWB is also needed and hopefully the Aarons rumours are true. We have zero width and the ability to stretch out low block teams, which is why we struggle to break them down.

Giggsy13

I feel like we resemble the Liverpool team of Brendan Rodgers who came close to winning a league title.

I don't feel we have that title winning squad or mentality yet. The additions of Diallo and Caicedo could be huge in the long run.

But Liverpool are like a Fergie team who know how to get results no matter how they are playing. They know how to adapt even if they lose a key player, unlike Utd who would fall to pieces if Bruno had a 2 month lay-off.

But I'm very excited about Diallo and Caicedo even though they won't be fighting for a first XI spot for another year I'd imagine. But can play a role as impact sub.
Our youth recruitment the last few years has been exciting but we definitely need some established players to come in to improve the starting 11. Diallo and Pellistri are great but the fact we still haven’t signed a first team RW since Nani left is an embarrassment.

Also sadly agree about the dippers, their experience gives them a huge edge. I think we’d all agree challenging and coming close would be a sign of good progress for our squad.

Last edited:

peridigm

I don't see many teams doing business in January. At least not to the level we did with Bruno last season.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
We need a proper winger with pace who can make runs and dribble and beat defenders one on one.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
How much would Koulibaly cost right now? He's the only big name that I think we could reasonably sign if we put the money down. He's the closest thing to a "Bruno" type signing.

However Pau Torres and Badashille also have the potential to be inspired signings.

There's definitely an opportunity here for the board to go out and make a real statement signing to hopefully catapult ourselves towards our first title in 8 years. Don't think they'll do it though if I be completely honest :(

croadyman

A CB would be ideal and we’ve been linked with the likes of Pau Torres and Milenkovic but whether the Glazers are willing to fork out the money in January for either is the issue.

Having a RB to challenge AWB is also needed and hopefully the Aarons rumours are true. We have zero width and the ability to stretch out low block teams, which is why we struggle to break them down.
Yeah time our board put their money where their mouth is in regards to backing Ole and buy him a CB right now, could accept not signing a RB in January provided we either give Laird/Williams a proper opportunity because AWB is feeling no pressure at all.

Obviously there will be no CDM/RW but hopefully Diallo/Caceido could give us a different dimension in those positions.

Kaos

Sancho has been shit this season right?

How about a cheeky bid at 60 million and then throw in Lindgard and Jones to sweeten the deal
It'll shoot up to £100million again if we include Lingard and Jones as part of the deal.