Is the World Cup on free to air TV where you are?

Green_Red

Im in Australia and the only way to watch it is on Optus Sport which is a TV channel run by a major telecoms company.

I remember being a kid and watching the World Cup and the spectacle of it. I feel sorry for kids here that dont have access to Optus Sports.

Bloody disgrace that FIFA have allowed the broadcast to be commodified.

Is it free where you are? Put your country in the response.

el3mel

Definitely not in Middle East in general. Bein Sports are dominating.

foolsgold

No, Sky Sports only in New Zealand.

Loved watching it on BBC or ITV when a kids growing up, watched nearly everything from '82 onwards before moving out here in 2005

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
All free on the BBC and ITV as far as I'm aware (UK). Can't complain.

Kevin_

Im in Australia and the only way to watch it is on Optus Sport which is a TV channel run by a major telecoms company.

I remember being a kid and watching the World Cup and the spectacle of it. I feel sorry for kids here that dont have access to Optus Sports.

I remember when it used to be free here on SBS here in Australia, SBS still showing 24 or something games.. better than nothing I suppose.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles

It is on SBS as well, not every game though I think.

Natyd

BBC ITV here in the UK. I think there would be a massive stink up if it ever went to pay to watch here

ChaddyP

free as a bird in jamaica. All you need is a tv and a rabbit ears antenna. I also have free HD streaming. Third world life style

Bojan11

Yip.... and they generally show highlights of the other channels live games (so you get two chances).

We're spoiled.
No we not.

We probably pay more in a month for Sky Sports and BT sports that some countries pay in a year. They also probably get all the packages with one station and broadband too.

The World Cup, Wimbledon and Euros are protected rights. Won’t be long before that ends too just like F1.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Pretty sure the WC is partly free in most of Europe because of a ruling from the European General court that FIFA and UEFA aren't allowed to sell the rights to the WC and EC exclusively to pay-to-watch stations.

aseru

Winner of EPL Predictions Game 2015-16
Here in Canada, TSN comes with the basic cable package and has every single game live. I think CTV is free to air and has select games only. Also, they think Costa Rica is playing Siberia on Sunday.

Last edited:

Bojan11

@aseru how much would it cost you if you wanted to watch premier league and champions league every month?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
No we not.

We probably pay more in a month for Sky Sports and BT sports that some countries pay in a year. They also probably get all the packages with one station and broadband too.

The World Cup, Wimbledon and Euros are protected rights. Won’t be long before that ends too just like F1.
Yes I am.

Never had SKY or BT.

FIFA took British TV channels to court to stop them being protected/free to air... and lost.

aseru

Winner of EPL Predictions Game 2015-16
@aseru how much would it cost you if you wanted to watch premier league and champions league every month?
I'd say TSN has roughly 50% of all Premier League games and Champions League games up to the quarter finals. Then they show all games from the semis on.

Then SportsNet has another 20% of PL games.

Both come in the most basic package starting at $55.95 per month and includes 66 channels.

Alternatively, TSN just came out with TSN Direct for $24.99 per month.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Yes I am.

Never had SKY or BT.

FIFA took British TV channels to court to stop them being protected/free to air... and lost.
You said “we’re”, to which Bojan is completely right in saying we’re not. I mean, we are for the World Cup and Euros, but for any other competition we’re bent over a barrel.

Anyway, to answer the question, we’ve got brilliant free to air coverage with extensive highlights, great pundits and great analysis from ITV and BBC. Couldn’t imagine it any other way, and the year that the World Cup isn’t free to air over here in the UK will be the year that I finally lose faith in football.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Is BBC and ITV free to watch in UK? or do you need a basic cable package?
It’s free, they’re terrestrial channels. Google ‘freeview UK’ or something for a bit more detail!

Miscemayl

Thought SBS has a game a day?

I use Optus for EPL so I use it for the WC

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'm slightly baffled so many countries have to pay. I was always under the impression that FIFA had a rule where it had to go to free to air provider's/national broadcasters?

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Yes. We get Irish coverage (RTE), which has Damien Duff, so therefore I watch the Brits coverage on BBC. I will watch the Brits coverage until England are playing, then I shall switch to the Irish coverage.

EDIT: Deleted joke cos its too sensitive.

trafford1980

Totally agree mate.

We live in Aus too now. Optus Sport dropouts all through the night, you only have to go to their Facebook page to see the carnage. No one was happy with last nights streams.

We’re fortunate enough to have NBN and Apple TV throughout our place but I feel for those who aren’t in high-speed areas (which is most of the Country from my experience. Australia is lagging way behind most Nations in this regard.)

It’s a disgrace really that the World Cup has shifted online.

Only saving grace is that there’s one match every night on free-to-air.

Bojan11

Ahuh, hence why I said we (UK) are .... you're getting it now.
No the UK isn’t spoiled.

I think you should get that part. Just because you don’t pay for BT or SKY. Other countries pay less and to top it off they get every premier league game not the ones Sky or BT want you to watch.

Let’s not forget about sports like golf, Cricket, F1 and Rugby all going behind a paywall. When it was once free.

Spoilt is when everything is free to you.

You need to work on the we part. One minutes it’s I and next minute you are speaking for the whole of UK. Make up your mind.