Is there a more frustrating club to support in the premier league than Everton?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Just checked the live table and my god they're down to 10th.:eek:

Despite Calvert Lewin having the breakthrough scoring season, despite having a world class manager, despite being top 6/7 for pretty much all season and finally beating Liverpool.

Yet only finished a few points above bottom half in the end although normally 59 points gets you about 7th-8th so bit of mitigation needed.

At least ourselves and Leeds have excuse for being newly promoted and so building up squads again and Newcastle just given up trying to be top half prem club over last decade but I dunno Everton invested 500m since 2016 and really don't get where they go from here to build that mentality to become top 6 team, just seems beyond them constantly even when they get in really good positions.

Not reached a cup final since 2009 either if I've got that right and got the new stadium coming up which has impacted on Arsenal and Spurs a fair bit so not always the cash cow as promised.

Transfer strategy is very hit and miss, first signing this season rumoured to be Coutinho which sums it up. They've already got 3 of those types in the squad.

Statue of Limitations

I'm gutted for them, of all seasons, with everything going on with the other clubs, this was a massive chance to secure not only European football, but CL footy.
70 pts would have done it easily this season, and it really looked like they would get that eariler in the season.

Went massively downhill, and it was sad to see, and not only because having them finish above the champions* Liverpool would have been sweet.

They really should be winning more games than they are, doing better in the cups too.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Irwin99

Sir Alex recently said that they've got ambitions to move to another level but they just don't seem to kick on enough. Hard to see how they can break into the top 6 without some serious investment.

Every season they're just an also ran

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Sir Alex recently said that they've got ambitions to move to another level but they just don't seem to kick on enough. Hard to see how they can break into the top 6 without some serious investment.

Every season they're just an also ran
They've spent about 500m since 2016 so I'd be surprised if likes of Spurs, Arsenal and a few others have overspent that in that period.

Mind blowing to see some of the fees for likes of Sigurdsson and Iwobi (over 70m for those two) and Moise Keane was about 30m I think. Mina 20m + aswell.

MU655

I think they need to sell players before signing any more. Their team is a mess that I don't think anyone would really want to inherit.

They have too many iffy players.

Kag

Is this why their fans are absolutely poisonous at Goodison Park?

Never heard a bigger bunch of whinging tossers in all my life.

el3mel

They're shit. They actually don't improve at all.

Every time I watched them this season, they played terrible football.

I honestly can't get how some think Carlo is doing well there. Hire any other manager and he'll also finish 10th.

Carlo is doing a terrible job there.

TheReligion

Abusive
Pretty awful season in the end really. Their drop off has gone unnoticed in many ways with the top 4 race.

Oranges038

Everton, a bit like Leicester now seem to blow it when things are looking up. They've spent massive money, I think third or fourth highest spend in the last few years. Brought in a big name manager and still finish tenth.

Newcastle and Spurs are surely up there as being equally frustrating though.

SAFMUTD

Gotta be Arsenal, but yeah Everton is stucked in that middle gray ground. Not good enough to challenge for top 6 but too good to be struggling at mid table.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Need a good COACH. I'm afraid Ancelotti is a good manager but not a good coach.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They're shit. They actually don't improve at all.

Every time I watched them this season, they played terrible football.

I honestly can't get how some think Carlo is doing well there. Hire any other manager and he'll also finish 10th.

Carlo is doing a terrible job there.
They have bet all their chips on Ancelotti to get them europa league at least. Where do they actually go from here if he can't do that?

In last decade they've tried up and coming managers like Martinez and Marco Silva and more established top level manager like Ronald Koeman. Two of those had really good first seasons but couldn't keep up and it's largely been what this season has been.

No idea what they'll do post Ancelotti as with signing likes of Allan and Hames it's been a quick fix style transfers and those two wouldn't stick around if he went, Richarlison would probably want out aswell if an Eddie Howe or Potter was then tried.

That's the tricky spot they're in next 2-3 years. Guess the club will spin the new ground as the game changer but we've seen it's not as simple as that.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
You should try being a Spurs fan. I can assure you it is no fun.
You played a champions league final still less than two years ago. Everton reached one cup final in last 26 years. Beating all of Real Madrid, Man. City, Dortmund and Ajax in last 5 years in big euro ties is miles above anything Everton have done since the 80s.

Spurs on downhill route now but was some ride for most of Poch reign at least and you had spells under Redknapp aswell. Everton had some good finishes under Moyes but even in many of those seasons they couldn't push on just like this season.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You played a champions league final still less than two years ago. Everton reached one cup final in last 26 years.

Spurs on downhill route now but was some ride for most of Poch reign at least and you had spells under Redknapp aswell. Everton had some good finishes under Moyes but even in many of those seasons they couldn't push on just like this season.
Its the hope that kills you mate

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Need a good COACH. I'm afraid Ancelotti is a good manager but not a good coach.
Martinez? Koeman? Silva? Think all three had won trophies before turning up at Everton. That's the problem. In last decade you've appointed different sorts of managers rather than just plodding on with same style and yet none can crack the mentality issue.

Everton won at Anfield in late Feb. Since that game won 5 out of 15 prem games. What's worse is played us twice, Palace, Brighton, Burnley and Sheffield in that time. 3 points from 18.

Nero

Remember when they won their first 4 games and people were losing their shit.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Martinez? Koeman? Silva? Think all three had won trophies before turning up at Everton. That's the problem. In last decade you've appointed different sorts of managers rather than just plodding on with same style and yet none can crack the mentality issue.

Everton won at Anfield in late Feb. Since that game won 5 out of 15 prem games. What's worse is played us twice, Palace, Brighton, Burnley and Sheffield in that time. 3 points from 18.
All I know is this fella in charge has shown nothing. He's a bad mismatch for the club. He needs a team of superstars.

Matthew84!

Well another bad season for them, they brought in quite a few players too, it'll be interesting if everyone stays.
I can see them finishing top 8 next season.

Skills

Snitch
Cheeky bid for Calwert-Lewin?

Hes way too good to not play in Europe
Contrarily, I don't think he's good enough if they actually do have ambitions for top 4. He had a purple patch to start the season and since then he's managed 5 goals in the next 21 PL games he's been involved in. Lukaku for instance was a much better player than DCL, yet he wasn't 'good enough for us'.

VivaRonaldo85

Given the size of investment in their squad, they are underwhelming. There is still a culture issue there too where finishing 10th will be forgotten by tomorrow morning. Disappointing

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Is this why their fans are absolutely poisonous at Goodison Park?

Never heard a bigger bunch of whinging tossers in all my life.
♫ Oooooh... We don't care what the red side say. That's why they're in our club song... ♪

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Did James go missing as soon as it got a bit cold? Did they ever find him again?
Yes. No.

Ancelotti actually told him he could go and link up with Colombia early so wasn't even there today.

They will surely just let him go to MLS or something. Would be a mad signing for that league with all the hispanic fans.

Josep Dowling

It’s hard for a club like Everton. They get a choice of players who couldn’t quite make it an elite club which means they end up in the same status quo whilst blowing more and more money. I can’t see them ever surpassing the other teams simply because the others are able to spend more and attract better players. Would you move to Manchester United on slightly less money or to Everton?

BorisManUtd

When you look at the points, they won 10 more points this year than last, 3 points of European football, got to quarterfinals of both cups so it's not a disaster but it's still underwhelming season for them, especially given that great start they had and players that they brought in last summer.

Ancelotti has had a great career as a manager but like Mourinho he is regressing, in a season like this you'd really expect him to finish at least where West Ham finished.

Yes. No.

Ancelotti actually told him he could go and link up with Colombia early so wasn't even there today.

They will surely just let him go to MLS or something. Would be a mad signing for that league with all the hispanic fans.
it’s a shame he couldn’t cut it. I want to see good players in the league.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm just about the generation who can't believe it when people tell me Everton used to be a huge force in England.

To me they're a team who snuck an FA cup against us in 94, blagged one season under Moyes in the top 4, and are bridesmaids to Liverpool.

That month or so they looked an entertaining team, and all the hype was that there was some sort of Scouse battle for the title looks silly now.
As do the journalists who wrote pieces saying Jose was bossing Ole, in half the time in the job!

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Embarrassing finish from them. They've always got the one derby win in a century at Anfield to remember, I suppose.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Embarrassing finish from them. They've always got the one derby win in a century at Anfield to remember, I suppose.
To be fair, Southport could have rocked up to Anfield and done you 0-1 during that run.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Did they actually do anything after beating Liverpool at Anfield?
5 wins in last 15. Not a hopeless record but think they played us twice, Burnley, Palace, Sheffield United and Brighton and got 3 points out of 18 so had a reasonable good run in.