Is there any scenario where you would want Rangnick as our permanent boss?

AnotherLondonManc

Interesting point to consider given we awarded Ole the full time job after a successful stint as interim and we all know how that panned out. Furthermore, one of our current targets, Poch, was available at the time and we chose to stick instead of twist. Of course, in hindsight, Ole's first season wasn't all that successful, but what if Rangnick's first REALLY was?

Hypothetically, of course. Let's say Rangnick goes on a blinding run to get us comfortably in the top four, wins the champions league and takes the FA Cup home as well. How many of you would want him on a permanent basis, foregoing potential long term successors like ETH or Poch?

daveskimufc

I’d say no, but purely because I want him upstairs.

I want him to implement his style from top to bottom. Get the coaches in that will work his style, get the players in that will do the work

ShinjiNinja26

Ideally you want him upstairs but if say he were to secure top 4 and somehow win the CL it would be pretty hard not to continue with him as manager.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Rangnick has a long track record for us to judge him on and with all that, there's good reason he wasn't an obvious choice to become our permanent manager. Six or so months of good results wouldn't change that.

Even if he does well I find it hard to see how we'd get more value from keeping him as manager than from hiring a more obvious managerial candidate and moving Rangnick upstairs to the sort of role that has done as much or more to give him what reputation he has.

PSV

I'd give him 18 months at the most. He's said himself that maybe 6,5 months isn't enough to get to where he wants, which I find fair. If he needs next season as well and we've looked good I'm all for it. But then I want him upstairs.

AnotherLondonManc

I'd give him 18 months at the most. He's said himself that maybe 6,5 months isn't enough to get to where he wants, which I find fair. If he needs next season as well and we've looked good I'm all for it. But then I want him upstairs.
This is a good take. If we start looking really good under Rangnick and bring home a trophy or two, we would at least have to have the discussion on 1 more year.

Having said that, it would still depend on the availability of our other targets. Say Poch wants to stay in Paris and Bayern nab ETH. Rangnick staying would be a no brainer. But if we can get ETH to come in and build on the success Rangnick brought, this for me is the best case scenario.

el3mel

This has nothing to do with today's game, but no, he shouldn't become our permanent manager. Time to properly plan for the future of the club for once and not take knee jerk decisions.