Is this going to be (or already is) the best WC in living memory?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Why not 1982? Reckon Italy 82 had a better team than Italy 06. And the WC '82 was better, imo. 2006 didn't have a single classic game, imo. '82 had Italy vs Brazil and France vs Germany.
Wasn't born in 1982. Saw the games but it's not the same thing

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
As a hater of tiki-taka and a lover of counter-attacking football and wing-play - I absolutely love it!

izzydiggler

I think the level of performances from the traditional 'big nations' have largely been poor and many are already out before the quarters - and teams like The Netherlands and Italy didn't even qualify.

But it's made it a great tournament - I wasn't looking forward to it and almost watched reluctantly but I've ended up getting into it. Don't remember a WC where every team looks beatable and it's been really exciting...most I've enjoyed watching international football in years. Bit of a shame we won't see some of the 'heavyweight' matches later in the tournament but loving it so far.

el3mel

Already up there with 2006 for me. Can exceed it easily if the semi finals and final are that good too.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
This is without a doubt the best I’ve seen in terms of overall entertainment - loved virtually every minute of it. Can’t ever remember seeing so many upsets, great goals or last minute winners. It’s been outstanding.

As I said in the other thread on this topic the one thing this World Cup is missing is a truly outstanding individual performance, someone who becomes a bit of a talisman and will eventually be associated with the tournament after it ends. In terms of legacy and popular impact I think it takes a World Cup to the next level, and most of the best tournaments have had it.

Something like Zidane in 2006 for example was absolutely exceptional in terms of romanticism and eventual tragedy. His performance against Brazil is probably in the top five or so World Cup performances I’ve ever seen, an absolute masterclass, and I remember watching it willing him to win the tournament knowing he’d retire straight after. The fact he got sent off in the final probably made it even more memorable if anything, just the whole story was special and I think this World Cup could do with something similar - if it did and the quality remains as it has been then it could go down as one of the best ever.

Camilo

There's no doubt - Russia is a great country, and the western propaganda we've been fed for decades is finally being seen for the nonsense it always was!

Tragic how everyone's been convinced that we're the good guys..

Castia

Been watching since USA 94 (was 10) and this year is my favourite

I was expecting nothing from Russia so maybe the surprise is part of why I love it but it’s been brilliant.

Schneckerl

Some great games already, it has the potential. Let's wait for the QF, SF, Final. Already better than 1990, 2006, 2010 for sure.

btw not in our living memories, but the whole WC 1954 KO round (other than yugoslavia - germany) looks almost like it was made up for a movie or something.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This is quite easily the best.

But I can't remember beyond 98. To be fair that's 20 years worth.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The overall quality isn't great IMV. There haven't been many top quality matches. And the best teams don't look very convincing. It's been entertaining but not great.

Zlatattack

1998 was mad! This one is excellent too.

It's coming home, it's coming home...

Dante

Average bang
My first World Cup was USA '94. I was a little too young to fully appreciate it, but it was technically my first memory of international competetion.

Then came the big one - France '98. That was the tournament of my adolescence, during the days when all I ever wanted to do was play footy at school with my mates and watch United at the weekend. I've never loved the game more than I did at that age. In a lot of ways, the World Cup was a formative experience. I never thought I'd ever enjoy another tournament quite so much again.

Until this Summer, that is. It's been unreal.

The difference is that this time I'm enjoying it for reasons other than the fact it's a major 'event' and a shared experience. I'm just loving it for the football being played on the pitch. What a Summer.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
This is without a doubt the best I’ve seen in terms of overall entertainment - loved virtually every minute of it. Can’t ever remember seeing so many upsets, great goals or last minute winners. It’s been outstanding.

As I said in the other thread on this topic the one thing this World Cup is missing is a truly outstanding individual performance, someone who becomes a bit of a talisman and will eventually be associated with the tournament after it ends. In terms of legacy and popular impact I think it takes a World Cup to the next level, and most of the best tournaments have had it.

Something like Zidane in 2006 for example was absolutely exceptional in terms of romanticism and eventual tragedy. His performance against Brazil is probably in the top five or so World Cup performances I’ve ever seen, an absolute masterclass, and I remember watching it willing him to win the tournament knowing he’d retire straight after. The fact he got sent off in the final probably made it even more memorable if anything, just the whole story was special and I think this World Cup could do with something similar - if it did and the quality remains as it has been then it could go down as one of the best ever.
Unlikely to get a Zidanesque performance (probably) but there's a few players left in who could become the memory of 2018... Neymar, Modric, Hazard, Kane, Mbappe, Cavani?
Some great games already, it has the potential. Let's wait for the QF, SF, Final. Already better than 1990, 2006, 2010 for sure.

btw not in our living memories, but the whole WC 1954 KO round (other than yugoslavia - germany) looks almost like it was made up for a movie or something.
Yeah, when you're 3-0 up inside 20 minutes and 5-3 down quarter of an hour later, it's not your usual game? :)

Trizy

Only been watching since 1998 but this is by far the best.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If it hadn't been for your last sentence, I'd have thought you were wumming.... but you're not?

Which WC do you rate then? (if any).
In hindsight, I would have phrased it differently. I've really enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but the usual top teams have mostly disappointed and I've not seen many top drawer matches (Spain - Portugal, Argentina - France, Japan - Belgium and probably 1-2 others). So in that sense there's been a lack in quality. I think there were more sides playing at a high level in '98 for instance. Is the 2018 WC considered the best one yet outside of England?

Revan

Assumptionman
I dunno, but I am loving it (despite that I have grown old and so don't watch every game anymore). I loved 98, 2002 ans 2006 and watched pretty much every game there, found 2010 a bit shit, 2014 decent and this one is great. Every team seem to have a chance on winning the match, while in the other world cups I have the impression that this wasn't the case.

Need a few classics in the final stage though. Spain Portugal was great, but in the end it was just a group stage match. France-Argentina was quite good too, but not an all time classic. Japan vs Belgium was enjoyable too. Hoping that quarters, semis and final will be awesome.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
In hindsight, I would have phrased it differently. I've really enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but the usual top teams have mostly disappointed and I've not seen many top drawer matches (Spain - Portugal, Argentina - France, Japan - Belgium and probably 1-2 others). So in that sense there's been a lack in quality. I think there were more sides playing at a high level in '98 for instance. Is the 2018 WC considered the best one yet outside of England?
To be honest, that's one of the reasons I've liked this WC - the new teams pushing through.

If you're a true top side, you'll show it.... if you're living on your history (Italy, Holland, Germany, Spain, etc) then someone else will take your place and imo, deserve it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
To be honest, that's one of the reasons I've liked this WC - the new teams pushing through.

If you're a true top side, you'll show it.... if you're living on your history (Italy, Holland, Germany, Spain, etc) then someone else will take your place and imo, deserve it.
Yeah, I've enjoyed that too. Similar to how I actually really enjoyed Leicester winning the league the other year. But the general quality of the Prem then wasn't great and the top teams disappointed. So in terms of entertainment, it's been great, in terms of quality, it's been lacking IMV.

0le

I think its been a fantastic world cup, certainly the best in my living memory. But I have been disappointed with how VAR has been implemented. It doesn't seem ready.

Zekkaroo

The Neymar back-kick pass to a teammate and into the goal was the best moment

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
For drama? Yes it's been fantastic, lots of entertainment value. Probably the best up to this point that I can remember. Quality hasn't been great, although here's hoping for some blockbusters further down the line.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
2014 still the best for me.

2018 will be remembered for VAR, own goals and unpredictable matches.

Reddy Rederson

As far as how open the tournament is, its been fantastic. Theres been more than a few dull games, but IMO the over all is far better than in recent world cups.

madhed

I'm kinda diggin the VAR so far. Hasn't really slowed the game down that much and really nice to know it's their for crunch decisions that ref may miss or be bamboozled on... feckin Neymar today floppin around like a fish ?! Man that's tart needs a hook.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Very entertaining (and upsetting...) but the overall quality seems like the worst i can remember (1998+).

I don't think it will be remembered as one of the greatest cups because the quality sides to make it a classic in the QFs and SFs will be missing.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I'm kinda diggin the VAR so far. Hasn't really slowed the game down that much and really nice to know it's their for crunch decisions that ref may miss or be bamboozled on... feckin Neymar today floppin around like a fish ?! Man that's tart needs a hook.
In my opinion if used the proper way it will help to increase the number of goals with the penaltys awarded and will force those teams who suffer those goals to change their strategies during the game.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Very entertaining (and upsetting...) but the overall quality seems like the worst i can remember (1998+).
2002 was much much worse. Only top team from the start to the end was Brazil, the rest was very low level of play. Even 2006 and 2010 wasn't that great.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
2002 was much much worse. Only top team from the start to the end was Brazil, the rest was very low level of play. Even 2006 and 2010 wasn't that great.
2002 was really upsetting too (but i as a german enjoyed it for most of the time).

I think 2010 is underrated. Spain, Germany and the Dutch were quality sides. And 2006 was amazing.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
2002 was really upsetting too (but i as a german enjoyed it for most of the time).

I think 2010 is underrated. Spain, Germany and the Dutch were quality sides. And 2006 was amazing.
2010 Spain had a high level of play even if the majority doesn't like, but personally my favourite Spanish team from that era was the one under Aragones on 2008.

Germany under Low was a bit of fresh air changing the Ballack generation to the generation who won the under 21's on 2009.

The Dutch team under Van Marwijjk don't agree with you, they had good players, particularly Sneijder, Robben and Van Bommel, but the perception they played great football was based on that second half vs Brazil. And their behaviour on the final looked a script coming from "Thug Life" with Van Bommel and De Jong as the main stars of the show.

Disgraceful, this from someone who watched the famous 2006 Battle of Nuremberg between Portugal and Netherlands.

2006 was different, for me 1994 and 1998 were great, this already surpassed 2014, but agree sometimes perceptions here are more guided by emotions than actually watching teams playing a over the top level of play, I think we are just on a normal evolution of footbball, to compare this with different eras is always complicated.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
98 was great.

06 is probably still my favourite. Really got me back into football and I was completely engrossed throughout. Zidane's revival/fall, Italy's redemption after their scandals, Ronaldo's wink, Argentina's amazing football with Riquelme, and many more, it was so damn good. Also felt like the end of an era for a lot of the great sides of the time - Italy, France, Germany, Brazil. All the big guns at their peak battling it out, the opposite of this world cup in a way which has been about the big sides (mostly) crashing out so far.

This one has definitely been special so far, though.

led_scholes

98 was great.

06 is probably still my favourite. Really got me back into football and I was completely engrossed throughout. Zidane's revival/fall, Italy's redemption after their scandals, Ronaldo's wink, Argentina's amazing football with Riquelme, and many more, it was so damn good. Also felt like the end of an era for a lot of the great sides of the time - Italy, France, Germany, Brazil. All the big guns at their peak battling it out, the opposite of this world cup in a way which has been about the big sides (mostly) crashing out so far.

This one has definitely been special so far, though.
I agree completely with everything you have said. Except of the end of an era where you include Germany. I think Germany was really poor from 98 till 2004. 2002 they were just lucky that FIFA could not let South Korea to reach the final, as the scandal would be immense. For me, 2006 was the beginning of a new era for Germany.