Is this the greatest transfer window ever?

tentan

Poor man's poster.
I can't remember a single transfer window this epic. So many top players making moves.

Ronaldo, Sancho, Varane > United

Messi, Ramos, Donnarumma > PSG

Lukaku > Chelsea

Aguero > Barcelona

Grealish > City

Mbappe to Real Madrid maybe

Has to up there with the most memorable ones.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Memorable yes. Not the greatest. Majority of the leagues across Europe have gotten weaker.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Might be but the 09' class was pretty impressive as well :

Ronaldo, Kaka, Xabi Alonzo Benzema > Real

Zlatan > Barcelona

Eto'o> Inter

Robben, Gomez > Bayern.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
I don't think so, Messi, Ramos, Ronaldo, and Agüero are past their peak and very close to retirement.

You are judging just based on names.

I'm sure there are better transfer windows many years back, with players moving at their peak, and not just looking for a club to retire.

Mr Smith

Always find it weird when people say these kinds of things before most of the signings have even had a chance to play. Let's re-assess at the end of the season (when we've won the league).

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I shed tears the day we signed Bebe hearing about how he was a honest, hardworking man who worked really hard in Portugal League to the point where Jorge Mendes offered him to us. Still cannot top that.

ReddBalls

"Is this the greatest transfer window ever?"

As a spectacle? Yup. But I get a bad feeling about just a few clubs sweeping up the star players of Europe.

redrobed

No, it’s good but it’s not the best ever. We still have a gaping hole in the CM position. Been our best window in a while but we are playing catch up after years of under investment in the playing staff. Ronaldo, Sancho and Varane are a good start but we need more before we can be expected to compete with the big spenders.

spaceboyRSA

No, it’s good but it’s not the best ever. We still have a gaping hole in the CM position. Been our best window in a while but we are playing catch up after years of under investment in the playing staff. Ronaldo, Sancho and Varane are a good start but we need more before we can be expected to compete with the big spenders.
The topic isn’t about uniteds window- it’s about the window as a whole.

And it very much feels like the most blockbuster window I can’t remember.

redrobed

The topic isn’t about uniteds window- it’s about the window as a whole.

And it very much feels like the most blockbuster window I can’t remember.
Yeah, for me though the greatness of a window is defined by Utd’s and to a lesser extent Madrid’s window. I don’t really follow football beyond those two sides.

Wilt

No, it’s good but it‘s not the best ever. We still have a gaping hole in the CM position. Been our best window in a while but we are playing catch up after years of under investment in the playing staff. Ronaldo, Sancho and Varane are a good start but we need more before we can be expected to compete with the big spenders.
When was it you think we had a better transfer window?

Interval

Level
The Muppet inside any United fan should be dead now. Won't be able to replicate such a transfer window for years. Success or not, the names we got in one window are any transfer fans wet dream. Like taking up United on Football Manager

GlasgowCeltic

"Is this the greatest transfer window ever?"

As a spectacle? Yup. But I get a bad feeling about just a few clubs sweeping up the star players of Europe.
Feels like about five clubs are making signings and the rest are watching and waiting for any scraps they can muster

Flytan

The Muppet inside any United fan should be dead now. Won't be able to replicate such a transfer window for years. Success or not, the names we got in one window are any transfer fans wet dream. Like taking up United on Football Manager

Dunno feels like football is adopting the NBA approach of doing crazy random shit just for the drama of it.

I mean would anyone be surprised if Messi is homesick and forces a move back? Haaland is moving for sure next year. I think summers like these are going to be common in the future, especially with players running their contracts down more often

Interval

Level
Dunno feels like football is adopting the NBA approach of doing crazy random shit just for the drama of it.

I mean would anyone be surprised if Messi is homesick and forces a move back? Haaland is moving for sure next year. I think summers like these are going to be common in the future, especially with players running their contracts down more often
I agree on the latter. Players WILL wind down contracts to get big paydays. Why should they allow clubs to get a share of what is rightfully theirs?

That's how it's supposed to be. Don't sign contracts you don't wish to honour and get a big move with big sign on bonuses at the end for yourself.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
2001 was an epic summer: Zidane, Buffon, Thuram, Ruud, Veron, Nedved, Stam, Mendietta, Lampard, Rui Costa, Campbell, van der Sar, few others.

‘92 when we had Becks, Giggsy, Scolesy and Keano come through the system
Keano signed from Forest in 93. You left out Butt, the Nevilles, and Gillespie.

DevilsOwn

I can't remember a single transfer window this epic. So many top players making moves.

Ronaldo, Sancho, Varane > United

Messi, Ramos, Donnarumma > PSG

Lukaku > Chelsea

Aguero > Barcelona

Grealish > City

Mbappe to Real Madrid maybe

Has to up there with the most memorable ones.

And, Arsenal have spent more than all of these clubs :D

wrepdrep

Supports
AC Milan
As an outsider, I think this euphoria reminds me of when you signed Di Maria, Falcao and a few others in one window - cant remember the year.
It also reminds me of when my Milan spent over 200m on the likes of Bonucci and Andre Silva in 2017.

Fans were going crazy as if they had already made the top, but I think it'll end in a massive disappointment.
Allegri and Juve didn't want him anymore. Guardiola rejected him because Cristiano pretty much wants to be guaranteed a starting role.
United accepted his ridiculous demands. I don't think your situation was desperate enough to approve this.
But then again, you have the highest non-doped revenue. You could probably afford to dump him if or when he's no longer worth the hassle.

Edited to add:
Misunderstood the thread title. Thought it only referred to your transfers. But the point still stands.

Wilt

‘92 when we had Becks, Giggsy, Scolesy and Keano come through the system
They’re not transfers :lol: …they came through the system. Keane joined in ‘93.

Plus nobody (other than Fergie) could have know as to how good they would become.

Dante

Average bang
It's been extremely imbalanced in terms of money. Bar a few oil clubs and Manchester United after a kick up the arse from the protests, nobody has any cash.

So rather than the 'greatest' what we're seeing is the most predatory transfer window ever.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
80's were usually quite entertaining

1982/83
Maradona, Beckenbauer, Platini, Passarella, Boniek, Keegan, Kempes, Pfaff, Völler, Bonhof, Vierchowod, Prohaska, Zmuda, Brady, Ardiles, Shilton...

1987/88
Gullit, van Basten, Rijkaard, Barnes, Shilton, Kohler, Littbarski, Futre, Hughes, Schumacher, Scifo, Völler, Ancelotti, Peruzzi, Dunga, Careca, Beardsley, Hoddle, Lerby, Allofs...

MagooDad

Might be but the 09' class was pretty impressive as well :

Ronaldo, Kaka, Xabi Alonzo Benzema > Real

Zlatan > Barcelona

Eto'o> Inter

Robben, Gomez > Bayern.
It has to be this. Ronaldo, Kaka and Zlatan were arguably three of the five best players in the World 2009 and they were in their prime.

They also became the three most expensive transfers of all time, one after another.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
It has been the wildest I can remember of how it all dominoed. I dont think it is the highest quality players changing. Many big names are transferring, but it is retirement moves.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Bigger at peak profile ones in the past.

What makes this one pretty unique is how easily you could go shopping anywhere on Oxford Street and pay Primark firesale prices. Skint clubs galore, their key players willing to move, no competition...

We've done really well, could and should have leveraged that unique context and made it even better, but we've been spoilt. Imagine being a Barca fan :eek:

PieCrust

And then on top of all that you have Madrid offer €200M for Mbappe, with 1 year on his contract. I don't know which is more crazy, that offer, or PSG turning it down. Really goes to show you that PSG isn't really a club, but a PR project like the other oil clubs. Any real club has to accept that offer and probably takes the first one of €160M - €180M. Crazy.

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
More of the madness needed to happen in the last 48 hours, that's what makes these transfer windows exciting. Plus did 'Arry even do an interview out of his car window?

1/10

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Probably not, in fairness.

It's been pretty wild, granted - but the biggest names who have moved are hardly in their prime.

Circus factor: 10 (both Messi and Ronaldo moving in the same window is enough to make it so). But the possible impact on the overall balance? Who can say? Not obvious, though.

TheLiverBird

Epic and great in regards to the “names” that have moved

but it’s the lowest spent in a summer transfer window since 2015

the greatest, debatable, one of the greatest absolutely