Is this the worst run of awful football since Fergie retired?

Flying_Heckfish

I fell asleep a few times during LvG's time, but at least his ideas were being implemented, even if they were ridiculous.

With the current displays it seems harder to tell if the players aren't sold, or if EtH isn't all that. Either way, the football is genuinely horrible stuff at times, it's right up there.

stevoc

Nothing was as bad as the late days of Moyes and Rangnick's reigns.

moodyred

LVG football was coffee time for me. Most boring football ever. ETH is not that bad

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Some are quick to forget just how crap we have been over the past decade.
But you're right, it always comes back to recruitment.
The current manager always has so many players that we can't sell because they haven't been performing well, are on long term, exorbitant contracts, and because we paid a grossly over inflated fee, the club are reluctant to take the loss, and instead prefer to give the player 'one more chance'

Added to this, ETH has signed 10 players, and none of them are particularly any better than what we've had before, so nothing improves.
Dubravka, Butland, Weghorst and Sabitzer were loans and 2 of those are back-up goalkeepers, Amrabat is also a loan

Eriksen, Martinez and Casemiro are way better than what preceded them, Malacia was a cheap buy that was worth a punt and may still work out, Antony you may have a point, Hojlund is a class player that will only get better, Mount we'll have to see

Demon Barber

All the wet knickers on this thread :smirk:

We were poor under Moyes, dull under LvG and Mourinho, refreshing under Olé until it all went tits up, and Rangnick? No words.

True, we are a bit of a mess right now, but I think we show good attacking intent and when we flow I enjoy watching us, despite the frustrations about the poor finishing.

Newstyle

Rashford and Bruno are putting a damper on our attacks because they keep giving the ball away, and it's surprising how little that gets talked about.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Still hasn't come close to the spell under LVG where we went 87 minutes without a shot on target at home to a championship side, and you couldn't even tell if it was because we were executing LVG's tactics badly or really well.

Denis79

Still hasn't come close to the spell under LVG where we went 87 minutes without a shot on target at home to a championship side, and you couldn't even tell if it was because we were executing LVG's tactics badly or really well.
:lol: Spot on!

TheLord

Dubravka, Butland, Weghorst and Sabitzer were loans and 2 of those are back-up goalkeepers, Amrabat is also a loan

Eriksen, Martinez and Casemiro are way better than what preceded them, Malacia was a cheap buy that was worth a punt and may still work out, Antony you may have a point, Hojlund is a class player that will only get better, Mount we'll have to see
I don't know if such optimism is good or bad for the club. Hopefully, good.

The Siege

I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is just a phase where the whole lot are having a rough time learning to not play underdog counter football. The footballing intelligence of our players has been remarkably low in the past, so it makes sense to me that when a few of the smarter cookies are left out of the side, eg Shaw, we have a 'what the hell are we supposed to do here again?' phase of being clueless and building muscle memory. But only time will tell if this is going to reap some unseen rewards, or if we're genuinely just permanently rubbish.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is just a phase where the whole lot are having a rough time learning to not play underdog counter football. The footballing intelligence of our players has been remarkably low in the past, so it makes sense to me that when a few of the smarter cookies are left out of the side, eg Shaw, we have a 'what the hell are we supposed to do here again?' phase of being clueless and building muscle memory. But only time will tell if this is going to reap some unseen rewards, or if we're genuinely just permanently rubbish.
In the past? What level do you think its at right now?

GazTheLegend

This is probably the best summarisation of LVG's football I've ever seen

lsd

The Oracle
It is the worst and i never thought i world see football as hard to reach as under Van Gaal

However at least then you could see there was some sort of plan for how we played and how our opponents would play.

With Ten Hag though it's just terrible football with no plan at all.

Our players have no idea of what their team mates will do let alone let alone the opponents

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
It is the worst and i never thought i world see football as hard to reach as under Van Gaal

However at least then you could see there was some sort of plan for how we played and how our opponents would play.

With Ten Hag though it's just terrible football with no plan at all.

Our players have no idea of what their team mates will do let alone let alone the opponents
Last season we looked good because of Casemiro and Rashford. They are trash this season and that has exposed ETH.

WaltJabsco

IThe footballing intelligence of our players has been remarkably low in the past
This is true of some of our current 1st team regulars as well, we do seem to be a magnet for stupid footballers. Peter Sutcliffe's hammer had more brains than some of our players.

Last edited:

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I remember a moyes match when we crossed the ball about 40 times.

Son

That’s a horrendous signing record either way. Given the amounts we’ve spent we had a team of average or ageing once great footballers.

I like Amrabat, Hojlund and Martinez but let’s be honest they are no Haaland, Rodri and Diaz are they.

The Siege

In the past? What level do you think its at right now?
er I meant in the past of the same players. Like Rashford, McTom, Maguire, Dalot, Lindelof, etc all have a bit too much air between their ears, and that's not really changed. They're not suddenly going to become smart.

Skills

Snitch
Those who think this is our worst football post fergie must have very short memories.
i was falling asleep at Old Trafford watching us under LVG. Pass side back side back side back zzzzzzz it was dreadful.
Under Ole, towards the last few months players just stopped running, we were so bad it was relegation form..

last season under ETH we were pretty good. 3rd and two cup finals…
Its early days this season and a lot of players are in poor form and we have been decimated by injuries.. Yesterdays match as an example, last season we score 3 or 4 goals in that game. The clear chances are there but our attackers seem to have lost all confidence. We will come through it.
The only reason you're not falling asleep now is because the opposition is coming and playing us off the park.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
No, we are mundanely shite at the moment. Under Ole we looked like relegation material and genuinely and completely incompetent.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Nevermind the worse since Fergie retired. This is apparently our worst start since Big Ron was sacked in 1986.

theralyst

Under LVG when we went like a million games without scoring in the first half. Dry, shite football. This is the most depressing United side though - with LVG's side at least it looked like we had a plan, even if it was failing miserably. With off-the-field problems with the ownership and it looking like we're going to be lingering around places 4-8 for perpetuity, yeah not a great time to be a United fan. But such is football, we'll get our time again, hopefully.

Skills

Snitch
Under LVG when we went like a million games without scoring in the first half. Dry, shite football. This is the most depressing United side though - with LVG's side at least it looked like we had a plan, even if it was failing miserably. With off-the-field problems with the ownership and it looking like we're going to be lingering around places 4-8 for perpetuity, yeah not a great time to be a United fan. But such is football, we'll get our time again, hopefully.
Under Louis, you turned up to watch us bore you to death. Now you turn up to watch the opposition run rings around us. Progress.

CM

I don't remember us ever starting a season as badly as we've started this one. We only played well once in the Carabao against Palace and there's no recognisable identity for this team.

We've gone so far backwards compared to this time last year.

croadyman

We have been proper average since February bar the odd performance here and there. That is not acceptable for a club of this standing

Last edited:

House Mkhitaryan

It's unfathomable how awful we are. A decade now of being the worst run, most underperforming club on the planet. Players and coaches have changed many times over and the results, style, system has never reached even close to an acceptable level.

Tyrion

It's unfathomable how awful we are. A decade now of being the worst run, most underperforming club on the planet. Players and coaches have changed many times over and the results, style, system has never reached even close to an acceptable level.
Everton might be worse over the last few years. They've spent hundreds of millions to get relegated.

lsd

The Oracle

It was terrible but at least under LVG we had the ball and could pass albeit sideways.

He did know how to play City and Liverpool though

Wonder what he would have done with the money Erik has been given mind.

Can say the same for Jose too i guess

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Maybe my memory is short, but I can't remember when we were so shite in pretty much every aspect of the game. We could be shite with the ball, but if anything, we haven't been embarassed so often against different teams under previous managers.

Conceeding every time after we lose the ball is clearly lack of any tactical knowledge about defending, you can't blame players because teams literally fly through us every time we give them the ball, and I don't think we were ever set up this bad after losing the ball. There is absolutely clear reason why we lose so much, why we conceeded 7 goals against Liverpool last year, or 6 against City, and it's because his tactics/or lack of them are absolutely wrong.

spiriticon

It's not as boring as LvG's because we conceding at least 2 or 3 very game, so at least there's a lot of goals to watch.

lsd

The Oracle
It is the worst and i never thought i could say that after Van Gaal.

At least with Van Gasl you could we were being coached and there was a plan to beat teams

Nick.

It's really bad but if we're being honest it was worse at the end under Rangnick.