Is WWIII possible?

The Flying Potato

Not sure where to post this but this place seemed best.

So, World War 3, is it possible? Given that the world seems more....lets say mature I can't see it myself. Though I reckon the situation with Iraq etc could lead to a much bigger war than we are currently involved in but with them having little support (it seems) it wouldn't be anywhere near the scale of a world war, or would it?

I don't realy know much about the war in Iraq, i've just always wonderd if it could lead to WW3 or if a new world war with anyone is possible?

x42bn6

I suspect there will be no "war" - any conflict will probably end in a dead heat Cold War with all the nukes around.

The likeliest spark would be in the Balkan areas or the former Soviet Union, rather than the Middle East. Something like US army intervention in Ukraine or Georgia or a NATO operation that pokes Russia too hard.

Alex

There is no way there would be a WWIII, not in terms of the super powers going at it again.

If there is another big war it will be fought by proxy a la the Cold War. If one of the Big 3, the US, CHina, or Russia really went at each other, it would only be a matter of time before before the nukes came out

Alex

Everything is possible, but few things are probable. I forsee a lot of regional conflicts in the next few decades with a lot of ancillary involvement from the superpowers like usual. Yes Colombia is brilliant this time of year, they also have the only soda I prefer to Coca Cola, it is called Cocasek

DoctorEvil

It is a question of when, rather than if. It is true that in some places society seems more mature and tolerant. This is partly due to bad memories from world wars one and two. These will be gone in say a century. Then it will be enough for a smallish minority of people with intolerant views to drag us back.

AlwaysRedwood

Not sure where to post this but this place seemed best.

So, World War 3, is it possible? Given that the world seems more....lets say mature I can't see it myself. Though I reckon the situation with Iraq etc could lead to a much bigger war than we are currently involved in but with them having little support (it seems) it wouldn't be anywhere near the scale of a world war, or would it?

I don't realy know much about the war in Iraq, i've just always wonderd if it could lead to WW3 or if a new world war with anyone is possible?
In times of economic distress, a world war is always possible.

Alex

It isnt close to as bad anywhere as it was in Germany prior to their pre WWII policies

WWI was largely caused by outdated alliances

WWII was largely due to an insane dictator going fecking crazy who had long deserved a bullet in his brain, but it was too late to stand up to him until the Ruskies and Americanos said no mofo we are taking your candy ass out.

With the US election of Obama, who everybody seems to love I dont think a WW is in the balance. In terms of China they dont want it would mess up their trade balance LOL, Russia they arent strong enough yet, the US, as a citizen all I can say is who the feck knows what we are up to reckon all they are interested in the near future is Al Qaeda

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Iran may cause a World War if they carry on with their Nuclear Programme, but for the moment all the major powers in the world rely too much on one another for a War to break out. I'd imagine once valuable resources start to ware thin and countries become desperate then a World War could break out.

Also with the overly ambitious Chinese Government currently in place, there would well be troubling times ahead. I think China is far to aggressive and for me they are pushing their "expansion and progress" ideals to hard.

I hope that China stops this "Genghis Khan" type of attitude that is trying to conquer the economic world; their ambition is worrisome, in my opinion.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Iran may cause a World War if they carry on with their Nuclear Programme, but for the moment all the major powers in the world rely too much on one another for a War to break out. I'd imagine once valuable resources start to ware thin and countries become desperate then a World War could break out.

Also with the overly ambitious Chinese Government currently in place, there would well be troubling times ahead. I think China is far to aggressive and for me they are pushing their "expansion and progress" ideals to hard.

I hope that China stops this "Genghis Khan" type of attitude that is trying to conquer the economic world; their ambition is worrisome, in my opinion.
I'd agree with this. The only real worry I have for the relatively near future is if America gets too threatened by China, and then push them too far as they try to hold them back. It won't turn into a true war, but I could see something similar to the Cold War happening.

In the longer-term, it'll be natural resources (or lack thereof) that could spark troubles.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I'd agree with this. The only real worry I have for the relatively near future is if America gets too threatened by China, and then push them too far as they try to hold them back. It won't turn into a true war, but I could see something similar to the Cold War happening.
I think the US will try their best to keep their relationship with China at a healthy once considering the vast amount of money they owe to them.

A bit like Britain and the US after WWII.

In the longer-term, it'll be natural resources (or lack thereof) that could spark troubles.
Agreed.

Also, and I've not followed this in too much detail, this anti-missile defence that the US wants to set up that Russia is strongly opposed to. That could well cause some trouble, particularly with Medvedev and Putin at the helm.

Scholesgoals

It isnt close to as bad anywhere as it was in Germany prior to their pre WWII policies

WWI was largely caused by outdated alliances

WWII was largely due to an insane dictator going fecking crazy who had long deserved a bullet in his brain, but it was too late to stand up to him until the Ruskies and Americanos said no mofo we are taking your candy ass out.

With the US election of Obama, who everybody seems to love I dont think a WW is in the balance. In terms of China they dont want it would mess up their trade balance LOL, Russia they arent strong enough yet, the US, as a citizen all I can say is who the feck knows what we are up to reckon all they are interested in the near future is Al Qaeda

oh wow.

this is a horribly misinformed post.

Scholesgoals

I think the US will try their best to keep their relationship with China at a healthy once considering the vast amount of money they owe to them.

A bit like Britain and the US after WWII.

Agreed.

Also, and I've not followed this in too much detail, this anti-missile defence that the US wants to set up that Russia is strongly opposed to. That could well cause some trouble, particularly with Medvedev and Putin at the helm.
Yes, my ears first pricked when putin stuck that russian flag up north.

Havent the US put loads in the Ukraine?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Yes, my ears first pricked when putin stuck that russian flag up north.

Havent the US put loads in the Ukraine?
No, the Poland and Czech Republic are where the US are basing them.

Russia have said they are moving missiles to Baltic and will jam the US' defence system.

As I said, this is going to spell trouble, hopefully Obama can ease the relations between the two.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Ruskies and Americanos my arse.

Russia was Germany's ally in invading Poland, they took half each.
Britain and France declared war in support.
The Yanks sat back and watched whilst Hitler took country after country until they were eventually forced to join in by a direct attack on them.
Britain get's no credit for it, but there was a time when we stood alone, and we didn't give in. (said on my dad's behalf).

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
an alliance of russia, china and india would twat everyone.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay

The Yanks sat back and watched whilst Hitler took country after country until they were eventually forced to join in by a direct attack on them.
Britain get's no credit for it, but there was a time when we stood alone, and we didn't give in. (said on my dad's behalf).
The Free French (and Resistance) and Polish soldiers do not get enough credit in my opinion. Both were vital during Monte Cassino. The Poles were especially ferocious in fighting the Germans, for good reason too.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
The Free French (and Resistance) and Polish soldiers do not get enough credit in my opinion. Both were vital during Monte Cassino. The Poles were especially ferocious in fighting the Germans, for good reason too.
Polish pilots were crucial to the Battle of Britain, we have much to thank them for. Strange how so many Polish pilots made it to Britain to fight on isn't it?

GAngel

Of course there will be. War is part of human nature as it serves greed. It most certainly won't be kicked off by 2 major powers though more like a major power verses the strategic ally of another major power. Defensive pacts are the beginning of every conflict and right now the world is firmly divided into 2 or depending on your view 3 major alliances.

There is a reason every country has hundreds of simulated war plans for basically every other nation on earth. There are some god aweful pieces of tech out and in development that circumvent the use of having to use nukes. The americans, russians and chinese have been testing for decades.

GAngel

Alone meaning the resources of the entire british empire plus the american economy bankrolling you :lol:

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
With advances in technology and both the US and China offering up increasingly public displays of space based weaponary, i'd have to question how there could possibly be any victors once the dust settled for the destruction would be so terrible.

Also i wouldn't assume that events such as revolution and civil conflict in developed antions are beyond the realms of possibility.

Nature whether it be climate change, dwindling resources or the prospect of a global pandemic [of course this could be created artificially too i suppose] is with who we must reconcile our future most of all in the coming century IMO.

An age of great challenges, of which you are not filled with confidence of us meeting as we must.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Alone meaning the resources of the entire british empire plus the american economy bankrolling you :lol:
From May 1940 until June 1941 it was Britain against the Axis powers. Yes we used the resources available to us through our Empire (We actually sold 12% of our land to fund the war), did you expect us not to? And the Americans didn't start 'bank-rolling' us until March 1941 with the passing of the Lend-Lease agreement.

We successfully defended a German invasion, survived the Blitz and managed to keep ourselves in the Battle of the Atlantic, all the while transforming the needs for total war. Everything from our economy to agriculture needed massive change, we needed to get people into work, into the army, produce armaments to fight in the war itself and of course this all needed to be paid for. For the most part, Britian achieved this and they can be proud in their achievments, because despite being a small country, despite having Vichy France, Germany and Italy against us, we managed to survive, without help from the US or the Soviet Union.

Could this have been maintained? Probably not, but then that is another argument entirely:)

kietotheworld

If a war breaks out between Congo and Niger, will it be classed as a Third World war?

GAngel

From May 1940 until June 1941 it was Britain against the Axis powers. Yes we used the resources available to us through our Empire (We actually sold 12% of our land to fund the war), did you expect us not to? And the Americans didn't start 'bank-rolling' us until March 1941 with the passing of the Lend-Lease agreement.

We successfully defended a German invasion, survived the Blitz and managed to keep ourselves in the Battle of the Atlantic, all the while transforming the needs for total war. Everything from our economy to agriculture needed massive change, we needed to get people into work, into the army, produce armaments to fight in the war itself and of course this all needed to be paid for. For the most part, Britian achieved this and they can be proud in their achievments, because despite being a small country, despite having Vichy France, Germany and Italy against us, we managed to survive, without help from the US or the Soviet Union.

Could this have been maintained? Probably not, but then that is another argument entirely:)
Thats actually wrong but whatever floats your boat. I'm certainly not going to get into an argument over british elitism.

9 out of 10 germans killed in the war were killed by the russians bet they didn't teach you that while studying :D

Nucks

RT History Department
Thats actually wrong but whatever floats your boat. I'm certainly not going to get into an argument over british elitism.

9 out of 10 germans killed in the war were killed by the russians bet they didn't teach you that while studying :D
The majority of people, vast majority, have absolutely no idea who won WW2 for the "good guys".

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

No, because I'm studying Britain in WWII, not how many of the German soldiers were killed by the USSR.

Though I really don't see what that has to do with anything.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Who was it who said "War isn't about who is right, but about who is left."

A world involving the whole world is a distinct possibilty - a few nuclear bombs and it'll be done and dusted (literally) in a matter of hours.

I think terrorists are most likely to be responsible.

ScipioAfricanus

Polish pilots were crucial to the Battle of Britain, we have much to thank them for. Strange how so many Polish pilots made it to Britain to fight on isn't it?
Poland made a good effort in September 39, but as soon as they realized they were doomed (as was inevitable being outflanked by the Germans from 3 sides and then Soviets invading), the Polish High Command began withdrawing troops and escaping through Romania to France. And then from France to Britain.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
World War III has been going on for years in the Middle East - havent you noticed?