It was so close...

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning

And also, could somebody post a streamable version for non UK users?

Red00012

We were so close.... we were 3-0 down FFS
Stupid thread

Borys

Statistics Wizard
We were closer to winning game against PSG than this one. We were close against Besiktas, close against PSG, and close against RB. But eventually lost all 3, not really undeserving.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
A size 12 boot away from a completely undeserved point.

AshRK

We are bunch of bottle jobs. It wasn't close, it was just a false hope given at the end. You can't always matches playing 10 minutes of decent football. We were pathetic today.

Walters_19_MuFc

They could have been 4-0 up at HT.
And we could have been 3-1 up against PSG. That's how games go.

On another day, regardless of whether they should have been out of sight in the first half or not, that deflection goes in and we get through to the knockouts.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Nah. United were that actual fecking school playground goal conceded in Turkey away from reaching the knockout stages of the CL.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
And we could have been 3-1 up against PSG. That's how games go.

On another day, regardless of whether they should have been out of sight in the first half or not, that deflection goes in and we get through to the knockouts.
If my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle.

Point is there’s “what ifs” for both teams and suggesting only looking at one side to say “it was close” is idiotic.

Walters_19_MuFc

If my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle.

Point is there’s “what ifs” for both teams and suggesting only looking at one side to say “it was close” is idiotic.
Which is what I've basically explained but thanks for the follow-up.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We were so close... That we're lamenting that someone didn't score an own goal?
OG has racked up some serious numbers for us in recent seasons. He was long overdue another.

I don’t see why everyone is shitting on this thread. We were absolutely terrible in the first half but we were the better team in the second half. The almost OG wasn’t the only time we came close to scoring but it was right at the death so you don’t get the same Sliding Doors what ifs you get with earlier missed chances. If that ball was a foot either side (and neither the defender nor the keeper had any idea where it was going) then we’re through after a legendary comeback. In a season of great comebacks. So I can understand the point being made.

And I’m saying all of this as someone who has repeatedly said Ole is miles out of his depth and we need a better manager. That doesn’t change the crazy fine margin between gloom and euphoria tonight. Which is obviously worth a mention.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
OG has racked up some serious numbers for us in recent seasons. He was long overdue another.

I don’t see why everyone is shitting on this thread. We were absolutely terrible in the first half but we were the better team in the second half. The almost OG wasn’t the only time we came close to scoring but it was right at the death so you don’t get the same Sliding Doors what ifs you get with earlier missed chances. If that ball was a foot either side (and the defender had no idea where it was going) then we’re through after a legendary comeback. In a season of great comebacks. So I can understand the point being made.

And I’m saying all of this as someone who has repeatedly said Ole is miles out of his depth and we need a better manager. That doesn’t change the crazy fine margin between gloom and euphoria tonight. Which is obviously worth a mention.
I'm just a bit miffed that, in the 90 odd minute of a game, a cross goes in the box and at only had 3 players in there, none of who were anywhere near the bloke who nearly scored the own goal!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I'm just a bit miffed that, in the 90 odd minute of a game, a cross goes in the box and at only had 3 players in there, none of who were anywhere near the bloke who nearly scored the own goal!
And the closest United player to the ball was a central defender!

We’ve been crying out for a proper number nine for ages. Someone who sniffs out tap ins. But that’s a discussion for another thread.

el3mel

It was so close.... if they had put on the sitter they missed immediately after 2nd goal and if the 3rd goal had went in directly without someone offside touching it, we would have been 5-0 down before even our first goal in the game.

croadyman

It was so close.... if they have put on the sitter they missed immediately after 2nd goal and if the 3rd goal has went in directly without someone offside touching it, we would have been 5-0 down before even our first goal in the game.
Cheers for adding some realism to this discussion

acrebo

We were closer to winning game against PSG than this one. We were close against Besiktas, close against PSG, and close against RB. But eventually lost all 3, not really undeserving.
Very close, about 7km away from Istanbul...

sect2k

Yeah just papering over cracks as we have been doing in the league away from home
When the way you play, is dependent on luck and individual brilliance of your players, sooner or later it will turn against you.

croadyman

When the way you play, is dependent on luck and individual brilliance of your players, sooner or later it will turn against you.
Yeah this has definitely been coming for the last few weeks

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018

I don’t see why everyone is shitting on this thread. We were absolutely terrible in the first half but we were the better team in the second half. The almost OG wasn’t the only time we came close to scoring but it was right at the death so you don’t get the same Sliding Doors what ifs you get with earlier missed chances. If that ball was a foot either side (and neither the defender nor the keeper had any idea where it was going) then we’re through after a legendary comeback. In a season of great comebacks. So I can understand the point being made.

I don't think you believe this, Pogue. Even if it goes in, a legendary comeback? Euphoria? Were you feeling it, even in the second half? It was all a bit Keystone cops for me, mentalist substitutions, horrendous goals, batshit ref. Stupid pen and dubious second for us, I never felt like we earned our comeback despite controlling large parts of the second half, never felt like we knew what we were doing. A bit of a shit show from all concerned and confirmed my worst fears about us. I contributed to the whole fiasco by behaving like a spoiled child in front of my 11 year old and sending him to bed before the end, like it was his fault. Tragic stuff.

sect2k

I don't think you believe this, Pogue. Even if it goes in, a legendary comeback? Euphoria? Were you feeling it, even in the second half? It was all a bit Keystone cops for me, mentalist substitutions, horrendous goals, batshit ref. Stupid pen and dubious second for us, I never felt like we earned our comeback despite controlling large parts of the second half, never felt like we knew what we were doing. A bit of a shit show from all concerned and confirmed my worst fears about us. I contributed to the whole fiasco by behaving like a spoiled child in front of my 11 year old and sending him to bed before the end, like it was his fault. Tragic stuff.
This rhetoric about us being the best team in second half is really funny, as it completely ignores that RBL were up 2-0 at that point, had total control of the game, and were probably fully aware that letting us have possession is probably better then attacking us and letting us counter, which incidentally, was what lead to our first goal.

Sometime, I feel that some people, just don't comprehend football, beyond goals scored.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Oof. I feel your pain with the 11 year old. This fecking team has caused some horrible shared experiences with me and my 12 year old. Which neither of us came out of looking good.

Tbh I recorded the game, then fast forwarded through the highlights when I already knew the result. So was never particularly emotionally invested. Despite the general shambles I still reckon everyone watching live would have been euphoric as feck if an injury time equaliser knocked Leipzig out. Even guilty dads.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Fair result in the end. 3-2 flatters us.