Italian clubs - where has all the money gone?

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
Italian teams were largely bankrolled by rich men. But the game has grown so much and even richer men have come into the sports that these men have found their limits. Now they are gone. But for a long time their money was a sweet drug for Italian clubs and they did not bother much to grow their own revenue and to adapt to the modern football world. Now they have a lot of catching up to do. It doesn't help that the Italian economy is not doing too well, either.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I am not sure the money is gone, it's more the fact that other big clubs have stepped up financially, while the Italians were unable to do so.

The English clubs earn more and more through TV rights.

The Spanish giants get a huge chunk of the La Liga broadcasting rights.

Bayern were always rich. PSG have oil money.

And then you have the Italians, playing in old, half-empty stadiums, with no where near the global reach that they used to have.

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Serie a is shit from what i remember in the 90s. Not talking about the quality of the football but the stadium, the whole broadcast package seems gloomy, the fans the pitch is dull compared to the bright and sharp premier league.

They miss that window of opportunity and it's very hard to keep up.

The money is in the brand, tv rights and sponsorship. Gate receipt are peanuts these days they barely cover the player wages.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I am not sure the money is gone, it's more the fact that other big clubs have stepped up financially, while the Italians were unable to do so.

And then you have the Italians, playing in old, half-empty stadium, with no where near the global reach that they used to have.
Is bayern really rich though? They have the luxury of a one horse team in germany and their prestige with german player meaning they dont have to pay high wages. They're hoarding young german players at basement price it's not even funny

Put them in the pl i dont think they'll fall into the rich club category.

devlinadl

Beside Juve are the rest broke or just tight. Always looking for freebies, loans and any other deal that does not involve any great deal of money.
Tottenham now has a higher turnover than Juve.

devlinadl

Is bayern really rich though? They have the luxury of a one horse team in germany and their prestige with german player meaning they dont have to pay high wages. They're hoarding young german players at basement price it's not even funny

Put them in the pl i dont think they'll fall into the rich club category.
Bayern have a higher turnover than any club bar United and the Spanish pair. All three of those clubs have far more debt than Bayern.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
90s Italian football was funded by sugar daddies and accumulating debts until bankruptcy. Then the bubble burst and multiple corruption scandals affected the public and political support towards football. Most Italian clubs thus missed the train of globalization.

Counterfeit goods are also free flowing in Italy, hurting some potential revenues. TV rights are very top heavy which impacts a lot the likes of both Milan clubs who don't qualify consistently for CL either.

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
1) Attendance at the stadiums are growing compared to the last season (+9%), Inter have an average of 65k per game to remind you….
2) Revenues are growing compared to the last seasons (Juventus and Inter are doing great things in this way, especially since Suning came Inter have done a significant step up. Milan are expected to following after the Elliott takeover.)
3) Italian clubs in the last summer have spent more than La Liga,Bundesliga and Ligue 1 clubs. Look more carefully.
4) Real issue is not owning the stadiums. This should be the main change for italian football.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Serie a is shit from what i remember in the 90s. Not talking about the quality of the football but the stadium, the whole broadcast package seems gloomy, the fans the pitch is dull compared to the bright and sharp premier league.

They miss that window of opportunity and it's very hard to keep up.

The money is in the brand, tv rights and sponsorship. Gate receipt are peanuts these days they barely cover the player wages.
Yeah, as a kid I tried to watch all sorts of football and the best players were in the Serie A so I watched a fair bit of it.

The atmosphere, half empty seats, stadiums with running tracks were terrible to watch compared to the Prem in the 90s.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Serie A in the 90's was by far the strongest league in the world. And when I say by far is really far. And the atmosphere was great too. No comparison with other leagues at the time. But yes they lost the train of the globalization viewing rights.

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
http://www.scoresway.com/?sport=soccer&page=news&view=article&news_id=1069342
(...)
The Deloitte Football Money League in full(for 2017-18 season):

1. Real Madrid - €750.9m
2. Barcelona – €690.4m
3. Manchester United - €666m
4. Bayern Munich - €629.2m
5. Manchester City - €568.4m
6. Paris Saint-Germain - €541.7m
7. Liverpool - €513.7m
8. Chelsea - €505.7m
9. Arsenal - €439.2m
10. Tottenham - €428.3m
11. Juventus - €394.9m
12. Borussia Dortmund - €317.2m
13. Atletico Madrid - €304.4m
14. Inter - €280.8m
15. Roma - €250m
16. Schalke - €243.8m
17. Everton - €212.9m
18. AC Milan - €207.7m
19. Newcastle United - €201.5m
20. West Ham - €197.9m

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Probably with Calciopoli is what he's getting at
Serie A clubs had started struggling financially before that scandal broke.
The simple truth is that most Serie A clubs were sugar daddy clubs and the money dried up. Instead of investing in the league and infrastructure, they lavished it on players and wages .
That's the long and short of it.

Last edited:

We need an rvn

And then you have the Italians, playing in old, half-empty stadiums, with no where near the global reach that they used to have.
Agree with this but Seria A really fecked up badly. They were THE league to watch in the 80s / 90s so whilst I can see where the Premiership benefitted I still struggle to get my head around how La Liga overtook Seria A that quickly.

For me, I think Seria A has much more to offer than La Liga where Barca / Real just dominate with TV rights etc etc. As a league, Seria A has bigger teams almost equivalent to the PL. The Milan derby / Milans vs Juve / Napoli / Roma / Samporia etc those are big clubs who if had the right backing could actually overtake the PL

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Beside Juve are the rest broke or just tight. Always looking for freebies, loans and any other deal that does not involve *any great deal of money.*
I strongly disagree with you. From Transfermarkt:

In the last 3 seasons only a handful of clubs have invested more than Juventus, Inter and AC Milan

AC Milan just spent € 70 mln for Paquetà and Piatek. € 70 mln in JANUARY!

Inter, under Suning, haven't sold any key player yet and have invested more than € 200 mln net in the mercato. A few names: Joao Mario € 45 mln, Nainggolan € 38 mln, Gabigol € 33 mln, Bastoni € 31 mln, Skriniar € 25 mln, Vecino € 24 mln, Candreva 24 mln and Gagliardini € 25 mln (the only one in the list who was on loan € 5 mln + option to buy € 20 mln). All signed in the last 3 seasons without selling one single regular starter

Napoli.. Most of the people thought they would finish like AS Monaco at the end of the last season and what happened? How many important players did they sell? One. The only good player sold was Jorginho for € 57 mln and then ADL invested € 90 mln on Fabiàn (€ 30 mln), Meret (€ 25 mln), Verdi (€ 25 mln) and Malcuit (€ 12 mln)

Serie A is ok. Balance in the last 3 seasons:

£ 444,45 mln vs £ 176,24 mln and £ 181,07 mln.. More than double than LaLiga and Bundesliga and you ask about Serie A? I'd change the title in: Hey Liga and Bundesliga, where's the money?

PS: sorry if my english is not excellent

Last edited:

Blackwidow

Yeah. Fair play

They really made the best out of their niche strenght in germany i guess.
Always stayed in the positive numbers. And as they saw that broadcasting money and income from the stadium are somewhat limited looked out for commercial partners very early. In that aspect it is easier if your country still has a lot football in public TV and not behind the pay wall and that you are the top dog of the most popular sports in a country with a lot of manufacturing companies that are one of the leaders in their industries.

RedFish

I strongly disagree with you. From Transfermarkt:

In the last 3 seasons only a handful of clubs have invested more than Juventus, Inter and AC Milan

AC Milan just spent € 70 mln for Paquetà and Piatek. € 70 mln in JANUARY!

Inter, under Suning, haven't sold any key player yet and have invested more than € 200 mln net in the mercato. A few names: Joao Mario € 45 mln, Nainggolan € 38 mln, Gabigol € 33 mln, Bastoni € 31 mln, Skriniar € 25 mln, Vecino € 24 mln, Candreva 24 mln and Gagliardini € 25 mln (the only one in the list who was on loan € 5 mln + option to buy € 20 mln). All signed in the last 3 seasons without selling one single regular starter

Napoli.. Most of the people thought they would finish like AS Monaco at the end of the last season and what happened? How many important players did they sell? One. The only good player sold was Jorginho for € 57 mln and then ADL invested € 90 mln on Fabiàn (€ 30 mln), Meret (€ 25 mln), Verdi (€ 25 mln) and Malcuit (€ 12 mln)

Serie A is ok. Balance in the last 3 seasons:

£ 444,45 mln vs £ 176,24 mln and £ 181,07 mln.. More than double than LaLiga and Bundesliga and you ask about Serie A? I'd change the title in: Hey Liga and Bundesliga, where's the money?

PS: sorry if my english is not excellent
Thanks for posting. Makes for interesting reading. Incredible how the PL clubs are spending above their means. Can't be healthy, though the insane TV money facilitates this. I guess it depends on how clubs use this money, invest wisely and reap the rewards, or risk going bust in the long run.

Having grown up in an era when Serie A was king, I do have a healthy respect for Italian football. Hard to see how Serie A can catch up with the PL or La Liga though when their European and British counterparts are so ready to dip into their bank accounts whether they can afford it or not.

Your english is just fine BTW! I wish I could speak and write in Italian :)

meamth

Thanks for posting. Makes for interesting reading. Incredible how the PL clubs are spending above their means. Can't be healthy, though the insane TV money facilitates this. I guess it depends on how clubs use this money, invest wisely and reap the rewards, or risk going bust in the long run.

Having grown up in an era when Serie A was king, I do have a healthy respect for Italian football. Hard to see how Serie A can catch up with the PL or La Liga though when their European and British counterparts are so ready to dip into their bank accounts whether they can afford it or not.

Your english is just fine BTW! I wish I could speak and write in Italian :)
I think the clubs who spent above their means are mainly the top 6 sides. I think it's healthy to see every club in the premier league can make important signings. Perhaps the most balanced league in the world.

::sonny::

Italian teams were largely bankrolled by rich men. But the game has grown so much and even richer men have come into the sports that these men have found their limits. Now they are gone. But for a long time their money was a sweet drug for Italian clubs and they did not bother much to grow their own revenue and to adapt to the modern football world. Now they have a lot of catching up to do. It doesn't help that the Italian economy is not doing too well, either.
True 100%