Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

macheda14

He must have been playing against us today and thinking ‘yeh, I’d love to be a part of that’. I’d take him for no more than 40 mill, if that. But I’d rather us go for Sancho and a CB first. (Well a CB if we can get rid of one or two PLUS we actually bring in quality)

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I still want him but villa better drop the asking price.
Maybe I've not seen enough, I didn't see anything that special tonight. No better than Fred or Mata as CM or CAM.

If we do sign him, we are lucky he wasn't great tonight. Maybe worth a punt at around £30m with add ons upto £50m.

RuudTom83

On the telly he does look odd, his shorts seem very tight, just tell the kit man to give you the next size up Jack!

Prodigal7

Very harsh to judge him on tonight’s performance. Pre lockdown he was carrying the whole team on his back and I saw a stat somewhere that he’s the second most creative player in Europe.

ColvaleGoa

On the telly he does look odd, his shorts seem very tight, just tell the kit man to give you the next size up Jack!
It's a Villa thing must be. McGinn was similar. I was wondering ,,are you boys trying to scare the opposition with your bulging thighs?? :D

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Hes put in some good numbers this season given what he has around him. Villa are shite.

Don't see a place for him here though. Would he want to be sub? Probably not.

Don't think we will go for him if pogba signs his new deal either.

SAFMUTD

I saw nothing today that suggest we should be on for him, let alone spend 50M.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Very harsh to judge him on tonight’s performance. Pre lockdown he was carrying the whole team on his back and I saw a stat somewhere that he’s the second most creative player in Europe.
That stat isn't true. I checked and two players in Serie A have higher totals than him and several with higher key pass per game ratio. That was just looking at Serie A as an example.

Emiliano Buendía is only 2 key passes short of equaling Grealishs numbers this season having played 500mins less for the worst team in the PL (Norwich).

Prodigal7

That stat isn't true. I checked and two players in Serie A have higher totals than him and several with higher key pass per game ratio. That was just looking at Serie A as an example.

Emiliano Buendía is only 2 key passes short of equaling Grealishs numbers this season having played 500mins less for the worst team in the PL (Norwich).
Ah right. Still Grealish has a really unique and rare skillset for an English player that I think a lot of people are overlooking and undervaluing here. He's not been great for the last few matches though. He's an Iniesta type player, something we don't have in the squad as Bruno, Rashford etc are a little more direct.

Tel074

Maybe I've not seen enough, I didn't see anything that special tonight. No better than Fred or Mata as CM or CAM.

If we do sign him, we are lucky he wasn't great tonight. Maybe worth a punt at around £30m with add ons upto £50m.

Totally agree . I've never seen the fascination with Grealish. He's a good player but he isn't what we need . We are trying to play a high tempo attacking game and he just doesn't fit that for me .
As a back up number 10 then yeah maybe but I wouldn't be paying over 30 mil for him

Prodigal7

His shorts are the same as all the Villa players. McGinn, Douglas, Hause etc all wear their shorts the same way.
That's not actually true. He specifically asks the Villa kitman for kids shin pads and tight shorts and they allow it for him.
Makes him look like a bit of douche but apparently he's a great character.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Ah right. Still Grealish has a really unique and rare skillset for an English player that I think a lot of people are overlooking and undervaluing here. He's not been great for the last few matches though. He's an Iniesta type player, something we don't have in the squad as Bruno is a little more direct.
I'll be real, I don't see the fuss. He's good and clearly a level above Villa, but i've watched him several times this season and although he stands out for Villa that doesnt really say much. Perhaps im catching him on his bad days dunno. He's certainly got worse as the season has progressed thats for sure.

Nori-

Is he really worth the money that's being mentioned? £70-80m?

Admittedly I haven't watched him closely all season but the handful of games I've seen he seems good but not top 4 kind of good. Add to that if Villa get relegated his value should drop as they'll need the money.

Sell Pereira + Lingard + Mata for a combined £50m and offer that to Villa. I wouldn't go past £55m.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He stroked the kit from Aston Villa’s u14 team the fecking weirdo.

Hawks2008

Yeah, RW, CB, and a long term Matic replacement is much more important right now than this guy. If we're that concerned about covering Pogba and Fernandes we should look for an Ighalo-esque signing in the sense they are solid and reliable but also don't cost much. Spending a decent chunk of our budget on someone who would be a rotational player wouldn't be smart.

Has some skill for sure, but not enough to take us up a level like Bruno has or like signing Sancho would.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
People judging him on today’s performance are being unfair. His team is shit. There is only so much you CAN do. Throw De Bruyne in that Villa team and see how many assists he gets per season. But at the same time is he worth more than 50m? The answer is no.

He is definitely an upgrade on anymore on our team bar Bruno and Pogba for the midfield role. His performances will improve when he is playing for a good side and his output will be better as well since there are better finishers and more people making the right runs. He won’t feel isolated and he won’t be asked to be the main man in a bigger team so naturally you play with more freedom and you won’t be double teamed as much.

Canadianred17

The Cafe darling is so overrated in here. We should look at other options. He's not quick enough to be a backup winger on the left behind Rashford, not better than Pogba, Fred, Matic in a deeper role, and would get a limited amount of time in the AM role when Bruno needs a breather. Better options elsewhere for that kind of money.

beingshe7don

Grealish looked very average. If we were looking for a CM at a decent price and one who could elevate our squad, I would consider getting VDB. The guy is a terrific utility player who could play as a 6, 8 & 10 when needed.

drmuji

I thought Villa number 6 , Louise , he was fantastic for them instead of Grealish. He was creating everything in first 30 minutes. So much so that Ole had to change his tactics and ask Bruno to mark him properly, as soon as they got the ball. I really don't think he deserves a place in our starting 11. I worry that he may just be someone like Lingard as soon as he arrives.

Red_toad

Grealish looked very average. If we were looking for a CM at a decent price and one who could elevate our squad, I would consider getting VDB. The guy is a terrific utility player who could play as a 6, 8 & 10 when needed.
Stick VDB in that Villa team and he’d look shite. Grealish is a class above him. I’m hoping he was smart and got a relegation clause in his contract so he can go for a sensible fee. Would give us great strength in depth and means the end for Jesse, Mata etc. Hopefully we’ll end up in the champions league so need 2 fully functional midfields to pick from, take either Pogba or Bruno out of our midfield and our creativity is vastly reduced.

Bondi77

Good technical player but I can see what Souness is saying in that he holds on to the ball for too long and gives the defence time to set themselves.
There was one instance in the game when he was running without the ball and Rashford got in his way a little bit and Grealish stopped stone dead and tried to milk something out of it instead of carrying on with the run, he needs to get that crap out of his game.

Bondi77

My gut feeling is Lingard, Rojo, Smalling & Sanchez out. Whether that would be enough to get what we need remains to be seen
With the monster money Sanchez is on there is no way he is not going to see out his contract. The reason why he left Arsenal as a free agent was because he knew this would be his last big contract and we served him up a beauty.

My only Eric

£40m with add ons is the highest I would go.
Besides, villa are getting relegated and would need the money.

Web of Bissaka

I like his movements and the creative way he attacks from the left, that's it.

Do we need another left attacker? No.
Barely doing anything good anywhere else.

Big fish in a small pond?

I'm impress more with McGinn but our midfield department is already stacked.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
So you wouldnt sign him as he was poor against us today? Does that mean you would sign him when he was superb again us at Old Trafford earlier in the season then?

I think he has been poor since the lockdown but excellent most of the season before it. Think he has been an under rated player for several years until this season. I would like us to sign him I think he adds more options and competition for us in several positions we dont currently have much competition at all in and in fact have players we should be looking to move on, he covers most of those.

My only real concern in signing him is the cost and if it stops us from being able to strengthen in other areas. If we were to sign him and Sancho for example, I think that would probabl be all of our business incoming, which would still be a good window of course....However with what seems currently a big turn around in our team of unity and enjoyment from players and there better form from the likes of Martial, Matic and Pogba (staying too) and the emergence of Greenwood and possible emergence next season of the likes of Laird and Mjebri and maybe even Menghi, that maybe our priorities and targets have changed now.

As much as I like Grealish, if we are to sign Sancho and that only allows one other big signing.....I think I would maybe now rather a quality centre back as the second priority. Ideally we make four signings but even if we manage to move on several players not good enough, dont see it beign financially viable, especially if Grealish/Sancho are two of those purchases
I don’t want to sign him because he’s an arsehole and Ole himself said he doesn’t want those. He could score a hattrick for all I care and I wouldn’t want him but he could at least have a go at showing his talent under pressure and tonight he floundered and wilted.

Now sometimes you can be an arsehole but be so talented that football fans turn the other cheek because the cost of having morals is far outweighed by the benefit of the player. Grealish does not fit into that category. He doesn’t become an instant starter, he doesnt take us to the next level and he’s likely to cost more than he’s worth.

It’s always great to have options and competitive ones too but Sancho can play RW, CAM and LW too which means whenever you want to rest someone you can shift him there and throw in Greenwood for RW etc.

jamesjimmybyrondean

40mil is too much for a rotational player. We all know that's what he would be but some would say we play 100 games per season but in the end he's going to be on the bench when we play our strongest 11. 40m in Covid market for a rotational player? Nahh. People will see this as if I'm rejecting the idea of us needing a Bruno backup but Grealish isn't the only good creative AM around. Make a Daniel James type of signing to be Bruno's back up. Focus the budget on RW and CB. If it's Grealish we get I wouldn't complain but for 40m, we won't get him

jamesjimmybyrondean

And I’m making the point that any talk of £60m fees should be dead and buried now.

It’s also not aimed at the general consensus which appears to be much more sensible now

Most are starting to realise he’s a squad player at best at the moment but there has to be a limit. Bruno cost us £46m and has completely changed the side. Grealish hasn’t broken into England is going to be relegated and is a knob.

If we’re paying similar fees for a squad player we need to look at why?

If Villa go down £30m is a good deal risk wise any more than that and you want guaranteed results and no problems.
Yeah. Seeing people say we should get him for 40m is funny. In what world will Ed pay 40m for a squad player in Covid market. It's not like there aren't other cheaper options to go after

Ekeke

I thought Villa number 6 , Louise , he was fantastic for them instead of Grealish. He was creating everything in first 30 minutes. So much so that Ole had to change his tactics and ask Bruno to mark him properly, as soon as they got the ball. I really don't think he deserves a place in our starting 11. I worry that he may just be someone like Lingard as soon as he arrives.
On the ball, and his mobility Douglas Luiz looked pretty good. But he's their DM. For example Greenwood's goal from the edge of the box just before half time, he was dithering. Martial's pass to Greenwood does him and he doesnt put much pressure on Greenwood who fires in

jackal&hyde

I'd still go for him, he hasn't been great post lockdown but he's still better than Andreas or Lingard
I agree. He is not as good as Pogba and Bruno but is miles better then the rest. As long as he understands that he would come in as a player that needs to fight for his place rather then a superstar i'd like him here. The price needs to be right though.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I agree. He is not as good as Pogba and Bruno but is miles better then the rest. As long as he understands that he would come in as a player that needs to fight for his place rather then a superstar i'd like him here. The price needs to be right though.
Gut feel but I think he will go somewhere he knows he will play most games

Perhaps everton they pay good money and are improving under anchelotti

jamesjimmybyrondean

Are people really going for him because he's better than Lingard and Pereira? So does that mean we should spend 40m + on a rotational option in Covid market. It's as if he's the only player available that can be a good Bruno backup so we must to splash 40m on him. We got Bruno and AWB for 45m. We are not spending 40 on Grealish to be back up especially in this current market

Craig Ward

He's a good player who can create and cover different positions.

Football is a squad game and we need a better squad.

We will never challenge for the title with our current squad depth, as it is simply not good enough.

Grealish would be a good buy, regardless of the price.

He does hold onto the ball too long on occasions, but if you watch the players movement around him - what options does he have? He's way too big for that Villa team, who are painstakingly average.

Grealish makes our squad better if we sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.