Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh 76

I was surprised Rio said that would Grealish be happy to sit on the bench at Utd.
Can't understand this way of thinking at all.
Grealish can play as a 3 in Midfield or either side as a 3 up front.
We have 5 positions for 5 players
(Holding midfielder)
Pogba
Bruno
Martial
Rashford
Greenwood.

Are these 5 players going to play every minute in every game, not be injured or lose form. I think not.

And there will be games when all 5 plus Grealish will play against teams who sit back.

This is all before or if we sign Sancho
Then it gets serious.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I was surprised Rio said that would Grealish be happy to sit on the bench at Utd.
(Holding midfielder)
Pogba
Bruno
Martial
Rashford
Greenwood.

Are these 5 players going to play every minute in every game, not be injured or lose form. I think not.

And there will be games when all 5 plus Grealish will play against teams who sit back.

Then it gets serious.
Well firstly they are all better than Grealish. So if fit they start which leaves him on the bench.

Secondly you lost all credibility by suggesting we could play all 6 of them at the same time.

Thirdly only playing when people are injured, coming on as a sub or being back up for poor form is the definition of a bench player.

Tel074

Well firstly they are all better than Grealish. So if fit they start which leaves him on the bench.

Secondly you lost all credibility by suggesting we could play all 6 of them at the same time.

Thirdly only playing when people are injured, coming on as a sub or being back up for poor form is the definition of a bench player.

I agree . All those players are better than Grealish and I'm not sure why so many people are getting over excited about wanting us to sign him . Yeah maybe if Pogba moves on but if he doesn't Id be looking at other positions to fill

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I agree . All those players are better than Grealish and I'm not sure why so many people are getting over excited about wanting us to sign him . Yeah maybe if Pogba moves on but if he doesn't Id be looking at other positions to fill
He would be handy and play a lot, and quality enough where if you are injured or out of form then it will be hard to get your place back, these are the high standards we need.

Josh 76

I never said he will only play when the others are injured.
I can remember a lot of times when Rashford, Pogba and Martial have had dogs abuse for playing badly. We have never been in a position to make quality changes.

If you think Grealish is not good enough. Thats a totally different argument.

Tel074

He would be handy and play a lot, and quality enough where if you are injured or out of form then it will be hard to get your place back, these are the high standards we need.

Yeah maybe if you can get him on the cheap I wouldn't be looking to pay 50/60 million for him though I think that money could be spent in better areas

Berbasbullet

Yeah maybe if you can get him on the cheap I wouldn't be looking to pay 50/60 million for him though I think that money could be spent in better areas
Oh yeah I do agree, if he takes away from say Sancho then Neh don’t want, but we do need quality depth so would be delighted if we got him.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I never said he will only play when the others are injured.
I can remember a lot of times when Rashford, Pogba and Martial have had dogs abuse for playing badly. We have never been in a position to make quality changes.

If you think Grealish is not good enough. Thats a totally different argument.
Nor did I accuse you of saying that. I said if he would be playing due to injury, being subbed on or due to form then you described is a bench/rotation player.

Hes not good enough to start over any player currently in our starting XI. He’s talented enough to rotate.

He’s also an arsehole. So I don’t want him for that reason.

Josh 76

Nor did I accuse you of saying that. I said if he would be playing due to injury, being subbed on or due to form then you described is a bench/rotation player.

Hes not good enough to start over any player currently in our starting XI. He’s talented enough to rotate.

He’s also an arsehole. So I don’t want him for that reason.
To be honest I didn't rate him at the beginning of the hype, but he has grown on me.
Plus he is playing in a crap team. Does a lot more defending than he is capable of.
Playing with better players and playing in a more attacking role will defo see a better player.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
(Holding midfielder)
Pogba
Bruno
Martial
Rashford
Greenwood.

Then it gets serious.
But he's going to be 2nd option among most of these players. Not to mention if we sign Sancho, the guy can also play on the left. Having top quality depth squad is needed if our aim is to win double or treble. Our aim is not that at the moment. I don't see Grealish will start in any top 6 teams apart from Spurs & Arsenal may be Liverpool since they don't have top attacking mid.

Upgrading our starting XI means we shifted the current starting XI to bench which also improving the depth squad. It's about having balance and you need to understand why Pogba & Bruno are crucial in the team for, so we can have more than 1 creative player. Adding Sancho into the squad is also adding creativity, if one of them got injured we still have Sancho to maintain the creativity balance.

E-mal

I'm pretty sure if Haaland came, Martial would be benched or would have gotten his chances off the left flank. Haaland saw how bad of a season we were having and back in January, getting CL seemed impossible and he wanted to continue playing in the CL. Let's face it, Dortmund is one team that guarantees CL and can work as a stepping stone to join the bigger clubs. That's why Dembele, Sancho, Haaland and now Bellingham have gone there.
Haaland will restrict the fluidity of our attack considering we dont have traditional wingers as su

van Persie

(Holding midfielder)
Pogba
Bruno
Martial
Rashford
Greenwood.

Then it gets serious.
No, this is just one of the biggest misconpections that people have. There will plenty of gametime for all of them even with Grealish added on-top. It would just bring more competition and depth which should be a positive thing, no? I don't want both Sancho and Grealish but certainly one or the other.

Keefy18

(Holding midfielder)
Pogba
Bruno
Martial
Rashford
Greenwood.

Then it gets serious.
Not so sure about that, I think he might be right.

I mean, he's going to set us back about 50-60m and then wages of probably at least 120-150pw. Is that kind of outlay OK for a bench player? If he's not good enough to be ahead of these players, which you admit in a follow up comment... why fork out that much for a feckin reserve?

Realistically Sancho has to be the priority for RW. With Greenwood as back up for RW & CF.

RW - Sancho / Greenwood /James
CF - Martial / Rashford / Greenwood
LW - Rashford / Martial

CAM - Bruno / Pogba

Wherever you look he's got solid competition for mins and you won't even see City with 3/4 different options of that kind of quality for every spot.

Highfather_24

City's best 11 doesnt have Bernardo Silva. Competion for places can only be a good thing. With Pogba playing the deeper role, if Bruno is out we are back to Lingard/Pereira/Mata. That's just not good enough. And lets not forget Ighalo is only there till Jan.

Midfield : Matic, Pogba, Bruno, Fred, Grealish, McTominay
Attack : Rashford, Sancho, Martial, Greenwood, James, Ighalo

Lots of talent, lots of top players fighting for places. With having to play for 4 competitions and 60-65+ games in the season, enough games for all of them. I would give Sancho #7 and Grealish #8.

:drool:

SAFMUTD

For anything around 30M id go for it. He'd be a good squad option when we need to rest Bruno or Rashford.

Anything above 40M would be too much since he's already 25 and Villa will most likely get relegated.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Plus rotation over a long season, which is where most of his games would probably come. Over the course of the season I'd expect him to start at least 30 games. I wouldn't really class that as being just a 'bench player'.

We don't want just a starting 11 and then a big drop off to the rest. We should be aiming for a group of about 14 players of similar level who can easily rotate amongst themselves. Like in 98/99 when we had Keane, Butt and Scholes for two midfield positions and Yorke, Cole, Ole and Teddy fighting to be the two strikers. Or more recently how we had Ronaldo, Giggs, Park and Nani. At different times they all had periods where they were first choice, and other periods where they were mostly coming off the bench (other than Keane and Ronaldo who obviously were undisputed first choice).

Keefy18

Plus rotation over a long season, which is where most of his games would probably come. Over the course of the season I'd expect him to start at least 30 games. I wouldn't really class that as being just a 'bench player'.
Thing is for his price it's a bit much for a bit part player.

I wouldn't be coughing up 50m or the like in transfer fees and then on top of that his wages of 120-15k per week, meaning probably another 7m per year over probably 4 years (28m).

Quite a lot for a fringe player don't ya think?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

We don't want just a starting 11 and then a big drop off to the rest. We should be aiming for a group of about 14 players of similar level who can easily rotate amongst themselves. Like in 98/99 when we had Keane, Butt and Scholes for two midfield positions and Yorke, Cole, Ole and Teddy fighting to be the two strikers. Or more recently how we had Ronaldo, Giggs, Park and Nani. At different times they all had periods where they were first choice, and other periods where they were mostly coming off the bench (other than Keane and Ronaldo who obviously were undisputed first choice).
If you aren’t the go to man for the starting XI you’re a bench player or you find bench unpalatable then rotation. You aren’t on the pitch by choice but instead necessity.

You come in when needed and if that’s less frequently than other players roles you aren’t a starting XI player.

At no point have I said I don’t want depth and quality but anyone claiming he’s better than Sancho as an option and isn’t going to be primarily used for rotation/subs is in dreamland given our current squad.

Prodigal7

I can see this guy taking Rashford spot on the left or as a rotational player with Pogba and Bruno.
Rashford could compete for a central role.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I have heard rumors he has a relegation release clause. There is zero chance he goes for anything near 80 million.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I can see this guy taking Rashford spot on the left or as a rotational player with Pogba and Bruno.
Rashford could compete for a central role.
He has it all to prove coming here IMO. If anyone thinks that he'll take Rashford's place, I'd say they're dreaming.

He's a big fish at Villa, and I've seen him completely nullified in a lot of games. The hope is that with quality around him,he'd flourish but I think it's a big ask for Grealish.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He has it all to prove coming here IMO. If anyone thinks that he'll take Rashford's place, I'd say they're dreaming.

He's a big fish at Villa, and I've seen him completely nullified in a lot of games. The hope is that with quality around him,he'd flourish but I think it's a big ask for Grealish.
Playing for Villa...
Anyway Im not convinced LW is his best position anyway so I dont think he would take Rashfords place
His dribbling and passing would be welcome

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Playing for Villa...
Anyway Im not convinced LW is his best position anyway so I dont think he would take Rashfords place
His dribbling and passing would be welcome
Don't you think he looks slow? I don't have recourse to stats, so would be interested to know

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Don't you think he looks slow? I don't have recourse to stats, so would be interested to know
He is not rapid yes. But again he is also not really a winger. He is best as CM imo, due to injuries and Villa being wank he was pushed more to the wide areas this season

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Would love to get him. Hard worker. Versatile. Good on the ball. Can dribble past people. His stats would be way better if Villa players actually took advantage of some of his passes. They can’t finish for shit.

We can’t make the same mistake we did this season and go in with the same front players without reinforcing. Teams will figure us out soon enough. And we need backup for Bruno.

But the only way I see this transfer going through is if they get relegated so here is to hoping they will.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
A utility player like him is not a bad option at all, considering the positions he can play.

United used to have O'shea do that role for a long time ago, someone you can trust to put 100% into each game.

In a game if you need a CM, or a potential winger to come on, Grealish can play those positions so it's hardly a bad thing to have in games, if there's a knock you know you can rely on him too.

Definitely not a bad option to have, and if he proves to be even better than that then its obviously good news, just having someone to retain the ball and have some creativity is enough honestly versus someone like Lingard, Mata has maybe 2 years left too so Grealish is certainly a good option at this point.

Berbasbullet

The amount he gets fouled is ridiculous, there’s a reason for that.

eire-red

He is not rapid yes. But again he is also not really a winger. He is best as CM imo, due to injuries and Villa being wank he was pushed more to the wide areas this season
I think it's more his pace over the initial 5 yards that allows him to beat his man. He's not a sprinter by any stretch, but is great at receiving the ball and using is body to shield, and using his strength and power over 5-10 yards.

eire-red

I'd like to see him here. If I was in charge of recruitment, the internal battle I would be having is knowing that we need quality squad options, but also realising we desperately need to upgrade on 2/3 first team position so would buying him be a luxury?

They way the timing has fallen, this summer seems like a prime opportunity as well, especially if Villa go down. If we pass now, the chance is likely gone.

Having said that, RW, CB and CDM are still the priorities in my opinion.

ghagua

There's Thiago Alcantara who's apparently available on cheap. Can be fantastic cover for both Bruno and Pogba.

Yes, but you need the player to agree to join. He has Liverpool supposedly after him, if that's the case he will join them, just like he rejected us to join Bayern.

RDCR07

I'd like to see him here. If I was in charge of recruitment, the internal battle I would be having is knowing that we need quality squad options, but also realising we desperately need to upgrade on 2/3 first team position so would buying him be a luxury?

They way the timing has fallen, this summer seems like a prime opportunity as well, especially if Villa go down. If we pass now, the chance is likely gone.

Having said that, RW, CB and CDM are still the priorities in my opinion.
In that order. If budget is an issue honestly CDM can wait. Matic and Scott can cover for 12 more months. RW is the biggest priority. Followed by CB. We simply have to address these two areas if we have to take the next step.

RDCR07

Yes, but you need the player to agree to join. He has Liverpool supposedly after him, if that's the case he will join them, just like he rejected us to join Bayern.
He didn’t reject us. Moyes was never in for him.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
If we get him I can't see us paying less than £55m.

We always get rinsed by the English tax.

SouthPredators4

Buy him, put Tuanzebe as part of the deal. Win win for both club. Maybe even Laird and Garner on loans if needed. Villa will be looking to a rebuilding for promotion and it had been proven that Mings and him are a good pairing. If Mings is looking to stay in the league Tuanzebe is all the more crucial.

RDCR07

If we get him I can't see us paying less than £55m.

We always get rinsed by the English tax.
No way we are paying that much for a player from a relegated side. If they stay up then agreed. It ll be 50m+ easy at which cost he definitely isn’t worth it.

RC89

Can any of those who have seen both Van De Beek and Grealish play compare their level of ability. I know Grealish plays AM/Winger (sort of) and I read that Van De Beek plays AM/CM. But in terms of ability alone who do we see as the better player? I know Grealish is prem proven and wants to come here which does count for something. But for 80m I can't help but be wary. Maybe VDB would be better value.

croadyman

Reliable source on Reddit is reporting that Stellar Group know what Villa want and have relayed a proposal from Utd on how they would pay that which has been ok'd. Also says personal terms have been pretty much agreed too,just some minor things to sort.

This may not come to nothing so don't shoot the messenger but thought may as well share it anyway.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
35m max for him, not a penny more. Last thing we want is an expensive backup, who has no chance of starting when everyone is fit. A cheaper/affordable backup options, like we did with Igaho, would be far more ideal.

SirAnderson

Perhaps Haaland wasn't sure he was going to start ahead of Martial in a difficult league. No matter how much we tend to underrate Martial's qualities, it's obvious he has come lips and bounds this season playing as a 9 and he is very crucial for us.
Was very worried about where this post was going then. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks for that laughs!
Helps that it actually not far off from it being spot on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.