Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Since the age of 10, Jack has been the star man. He has never had the fear of rejection. Villa have always put their eggs in one or two baskets when it comes to their academy players, and those players call the shots. Jack has had a life of “Yes Jack!”. He’s always been #1!. He does love his club, and does lead on the pitch, but then off it speaks a good game, but breaches lockdown and then crashes his car in what we can only imagine was not a fit state to drive, hence he ran away the scene. ‘I’m untouchable, I’m the boss’ ‘I’ll wear kids shin pads & risk injury because no one will question me’

He needs to humble himself before he starts swimming with the bigger fish. We should have been having this conversation about Jack 4 years ago! He’s nearly 25 now, and not an established international, In fact he’s never even played at full international level yet. Why not?
This is my only worry about him. The rumours about him being a bit unprofessional. Supported by a few incidents.

That said, I’m sure we will look into that. OGS will probably talk to Tuanzebe and Steve Bruce. Maybe even Carew (who is well connected at Villa).

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Reliable source on Reddit is reporting that Stellar Group know what Villa want and have relayed a proposal from Utd on how they would pay that which has been ok'd. Also says personal terms have been pretty much agreed too,just some minor things to sort.

This may not come to nothing so don't shoot the messenger but thought may as well share it anyway.
I'd presume United will wait until the season is over before making a move. Villa could get relegated which will affect the monetary sums in a potential deal.

TheReligion

Abusive
Not enough for 2 mega-money transfers I don't think, considering CV-19.

Even in good times, I don't think we've ever made 2 mega money marquee signings in one transfer window.
I don't think Grealish would be a mega money signing though. He'd be similar to Bruno. I think the marquee this season is Sancho.

spiriticon

I don't think Grealish would be a mega money signing though. He'd be similar to Bruno. I think the marquee this season is Sancho.
He's English, he's their captain and he's talented. Sounds like an £60-80 million transfer to me which is at the very high end of what we would normally pay for players.

We'll see, maybe relegation and CV-19 lowers their asking price to half of that.

TheReligion

Abusive
He's English, he's their captain and he's talented. Sounds like an £60-80 million transfer to me which is at the very high end of what we would normally pay for players.

We'll see, maybe relegation and CV-19 lowers their asking price to half of that.
Has a relegated club ever made £60-80m on a player?

As said using Bruno as an outline I see Grealish in a structured deal in the £50m bracket. Top end. Probably 35-45 initial plus add ons. Certainly not marquee territory.

spiriticon

Has a relegated club ever made £60-80m on a player?

As said using Bruno as an outline I see Grealish in a structured deal in the £50m bracket. Top end. Probably 35-45 initial plus add ons. Certainly not marquee territory.
Villa isn't relegated yet. They may very well survive.

spiriticon

They may do but the point still stands. If they go down I don't see them getting £80m for a player do you? Don't think it's ever happened.

I think you also forget villa are short of cash.
Didn't know they were short on cash, but yeah if they go down and the price is around £40 million there is a chance.

TheReligion

Abusive
Didn't know they were short on cash, but yeah if they go down and the price is around £40 million there is a chance.
They announced losses of £69m the other month and are reliant on cash injections from their owners. They also were one of the highest spending teams last summer to try and ensure they remained in the league. Even if they stay up they will be struggling financially but if they drop out of the league the issue will be further exasperated given the TV deal drop off. Add that to the fact Grealish will want to move on I don't see them as being able to command a price of £80m.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
First time I've directly watched him - he looks quite good.

Would he play on the left or right for United?

Is he like a young Joe Cole or different?
He's played mainly on the left wing or as a free role in the middle. Not a traditional center mid, and not any sort of role that he would get at a bigger club. He's very talented, but not on the level of what we have. Wouldn't really work as a Pogba replacement (doesn't have the discipline for that deeper role), while he's not as good as Bruno, and not as good as Rashford on the left. So would be a squad player unless he suddenly started playing on the right (very little experience of playing out there).

I just don't see him as somebody who suits our squad, and while he is very talented, he isn't as effective as he probably should be. Dribbles loads while being a very average passer, so he'll have a lot of nice pieces of play without that actually leading to that much. That's the kind of player I see him as. Could see him being a good signing for Spurs, but not the top top level.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
His attitude is the biggest problem. Would be really be happy being a squad rotation player and not main man?

Would he maintain his professionalism given he would not be playing week in week out and know this?

Whenever he’s had time on his hands he’s made very poor decisions some of which have broken the law during a time where other members of our squad were actively trying to solve societal issues.

Ole said he would rather have a hole in the squad than an arsehole and really there isn’t a gaping hole for Grealish to fill in our current squad he would just be a nice option to have off the bench or to give players a rest whilst maintaining quality.

I’ve resigned myself to the idea we may sign him and above all else I trust Solskjaer’s judgement of character. If he thinks he can mature and help the team then I’ll reluctantly support the decision. But personally I think we’re developing an amazing attitude in the squad and I don’t see Grealish contributing to that culture positively. Footballing ability he’d contribute positively but I really have grave concerns about everything else.

Devil81

I like Grealish, in fact, I think he's a fantastic player but where does he get a game for United in our current set up?

I think we've got other positions that should be taking priority.

Waynenmads

One of those ‘Matt Le Tiss’ players for me, looks outstanding in an ordinary side, not sure he has the drive or focus to play in a Champions League side, not quite what we should look for or need at the moment....if we were throwing bids at Villa, I’d rather buy Mings

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I like Grealish, in fact, I think he's a fantastic player but where does he get a game for United in our current set up?

Rotation on LW definitely. Beyond that speculative to suggest CAM but possible. Not at all convinced of CM but some would claim that too.

binary bot
I dont know why but when i watch him i just get the feeling he'll be someone Ole is after

Castia

He would probably struggle to make the first 11 but we’re desperate for squad depth. Our first 11 are decent but the bench options are shocking in attacking positions.

Id sell Mata, Lingard and Pereira and we’ll lose Ighalo at the end of his loan and replace them with 2 quality players in Sancho and Grealish.

Henderson, Bailey, Williams, Fred, McTominay Grealish, Greenwood is a decent bench with James/Chong still fighting for a spot.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
He's a knobhead of the highest order isn't he? If he gets some proper shinpads on, pulls his socks up and gets a pair of adult sized shorts then I might reconsider.

Suvvernmanc

I personally think he's exactly the player we need. I think he's quality. He can play in 2 or 3 positions where we need added depth and he could be got for a reasonable fee.

All of this 'he's an idiot, he's got a discipline problem' I dont buy. He has in the past been photographed laying on the floor pissed. He was only 19. He recently crashed his car and was probably over the limit which hasn't actually been proved If i recall correctly. We've had alot worse at UTD in the past and some that have done much worse.

Alot of professionals around him have said he's a grafter and has worked tirelessly on and off the pitch to get better. In fact hes quite highly regarded as good professional except for those couple of very stupid things he's done.

Judas

Open to offers
He's a knobhead of the highest order isn't he? If he gets some proper shinpads on, pulls his socks up and gets a pair of adult sized shorts then I might reconsider.
I just can’t for a second imagining caring about any of that crap, fair play to you if it genuinely annoys you but it’s impressively petty.

Saddy

He's surely the "insurance" in case we don't land the number 1 target Sancho ?

Our main priority has to be central defence for a 50M player but we cannot afford to let Sancho go if he's interested in joining us

GiddyUp

If he let his hair flow right he could look like a He-Man figure.

kirk buttercup

He is a decent player but have to agree comes across like a right Gobshite , I would rather go for someone else I dont want him at United.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Who cares about his shinpads and shorts? I mean I’ll criticise his character but what he wears?

He fancies himself a bit like Beckham did and that never bothered me at all either. It’s only a problem if it goes to your head off the pitch and on it. Beckham always worked to the best he could for the team. Made stupid mistakes as a young lad but never life threatening or so out of touch with the rest of the countries struggles that you’d condemn him.
I personally think he's exactly the player we need. I think he's quality. He can play in 2 or 3 positions where we need added depth and he could be got for a reasonable fee.

All of this 'he's an idiot, he's got a discipline problem' I dont buy. He has in the past been photographed laying on the floor pissed. He was only 19. He recently crashed his car and was probably over the limit which hasn't actually been proved If i recall correctly. We've had alot worse at UTD in the past and some that have done much worse.

Alot of professionals around him have said he's a grafter and has worked tirelessly on and off the pitch to get better. In fact hes quite highly regarded as good professional except for those couple of very stupid things he's done.
I don’t really care about the 19 year old photo because well he’s 19 and he’s allowed a public mistake. But there’s stupid young boy mistakes and there is hypocrisy and downright cnutish behaviour which is exactly what drink driving in Dickens Heath was after a party because he was bored in lockdown.

He was definitely drunk which is why he did a runner several eyewitnesses confirmed he was not acting sound and sober.

He’s been charged with the offences the only reason it’s not drink driving is because he ran away and didn’t hand himself in to be breathalysed wonder why?

I genuinely don’t think Ole would want him when you contrast it with what Rashford has done. How can you respect Marcus’ efforts by signing someone so selfish?

I think he could have happily got drunk at home and no one would care and plenty would understand but when you endanger other people’s lives in a densely populated area like Dickens Heath because you were bored? Well so what everyone had their stuff to deal with deaths of family members for starters but poor Jack can’t cope in his Barnt Green mansion?

He’s an entitled twat. He’s also a very talented footballer but in my eyes he’s not an amazing must buy and his latest stupid act lost my support and that of others.

That said if Ole backs him and Grealish turns out to be an amazing player for us I’ll happily be told he’s matured and learnt from this final mistake. But I don’t see that happening.

dbs235

Would be a perfect signing for our squad. Can cover either wing and anywhere in midfield. Which is something we're going to need if we're going to challenge for the title.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Sancho covers Bruno in the event of injury or suspension and Mason slots in as the right sided attacker. Sancho covers the central attacking role and the left and right forward roles and that too at a higher level IMO. Presuming we sign him of course.

So who covers Bruno is answered above. So maybe targeting a different profile of player might be more to our benefit. But I wouldn't complain if we signed him but I think Donny Van de Beek would suit us better potentially due to his versatility in a number of roles including playing deeper in a two.

Drainy

Sancho covers Bruno in the event of injury or suspension and Mason slots in as the right sided attacker. Sancho covers the central attacking role and the left and right forward roles and that too at a higher level IMO. Presuming we sign him of course.

So who covers Bruno is answered above. So maybe targeting a different profile of player might be more to our benefit. But I wouldn't complain if we signed him but I think Donny Van de Beek would suit us better potentially due to his versatility in a number of roles including playing deeper in a two.
I agree with your thinking here. Sancho and de Beek would be a better balance of our squad needs.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Can VdB and Pogba play as the deeper two?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Can VdB and Pogba play as the deeper two?
VdB is best deployed in a attacking role but he's tactically so good and disciplined that I have no doubt he could play in a two with Pogba against most teams. Against quality teams Pogba and Fernandes would have to be more disciplined too.

But with VdB you get a player that has the ability play deeper too and along with Sancho it's more beneficial for us IMO.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
VdB is best deployed in a attacking role but he's tactically so good and disciplined that I have no doubt he could play in a two with Pogba against most teams. Against quality teams Pogba and Fernandes would have to be more disciplined too.

But with VdB you get a player that has the ability play deeper too and along with Sancho it's more beneficial for us IMO.
Agreed.

Not seen as much of DVB mainly matches against AZ and some European fixtures. But all of them he’s been impressive.
I agree with your thinking here. Sancho and de Beek would be a better balance of our squad needs.
Absolutely a much better allocation of talent.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
People might be right that we do not need him. I’m inclined to believe so too. But I also feel that he might be so talented and good that we should go for him anyway. If we think he has the mentality.

It is hard to be good and really shine for a poor team. Specially for this type of talent. Just look at Pogba for us. I also think Fernandes playing for a poor team is a mayor reason why we were able to get him without any competition.

Bwuk

Grealish could replace all 3 of Andreas, Mata and Lingard and you’d hope the sale of those 3 would claw back some of his transfer fee and we’d save on wages.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Grealish could replace all 3 of Andreas, Mata and Lingard and you’d hope the sale of those 3 would claw back some of his transfer fee and we’d save on wages.
Would make sense when put that way. Assuming he's in addition to Sancho of course.

Bwuk

Would make sense when put that way. Assuming he's in addition to Sancho of course.
Yep. Sancho & Grealish in would be a superb business, especially if we can shift some of the deadwood to help pay it.

Dazzmondo

It makes complete sense. We’re an injury away to Bruno or Pogba or away from fielding Championship players in key creative areas. Grealish provides cover and competition for all three positions behind the striker.

We need a quality squad. If Martial is quiet then we need the option of playing Rashford or Greenwood centrally ahead of him. If Rashford looks bang out of form, we need to be able to field a player like Grealish ahead of him. If Bruno is injured then we need a player like Grealish to come in for him.

The club should be doing everything in its power to rid itself of the likes of Lingard and Pereira and replace them with players like Grealish. Right wing and attacking midfield remains the most important positions in which we need to buy as the alternatives are simply too bad.
But we still don't have good enough 1st choice options at cb or cdm currently. Grealish is the type of signing to make if you have all of your other positions covered already. We don't though.

Status
Not open for further replies.