Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkXaero

Grealish could replace all 3 of Andreas, Mata and Lingard and you’d hope the sale of those 3 would claw back some of his transfer fee and we’d save on wages.
I've been thinking the same. He can come in and replace all 3 of those players, while also being a very capable backup for Bruno. He might not be an automatic starter here but he'll have plenty of game time, and chances to start or earn a starting place here.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
VdB is best deployed in a attacking role but he's tactically so good and disciplined that I have no doubt he could play in a two with Pogba against most teams. Against quality teams Pogba and Fernandes would have to be more disciplined too.

But with VdB you get a player that has the ability play deeper too and along with Sancho it's more beneficial for us IMO.
How do you think a Pogba / VdB duo would cope defensively against the bigger teams? On paper it doesn't fill me with a ton of confidence.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The issue regarding that lock-down situation has put a big doubt in my mind over his mentality, I admit.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
How do you think a Pogba / VdB duo would cope defensively against the bigger teams? On paper it doesn't fill me with a ton of confidence.
I think a potential pairing would cope better than Pogba and Matic because not only is VdB tactically very good he's also very mobile in comparison to Matic and he would be better in defensive transition. The Dutch player also has the ability to distribute very well IMO.

So for that reason I'd choose VdB over Grealish who is versatile but his versatility only helps us in more advanced roles which Sancho can more than cover along with VdB. But with VdB there is also the option of playing him deeper if needs be.

So many strings to a bow potentially for Ole.

arnie_ni

Sell andreas, jesse, mata and sanchez to fund him. He can play multiple positions.

Him and sancho would sort us out at the top end.

Then a pacey cb and eventual matic replacement.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
@AltiUn I do prefer Partey or Zakaria though as the DM because I believe in a high press which Ole is trying to implement, it's more important to have a DM who can dominate defensive zones.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I think a potential pairing would cope better than Pogba and Matic because not only is VdB tactically very good he's also very mobile in comparison to Matic and he would be better in defensive transition. The Dutch player also has the ability to distribute very well IMO.

So for that reason I'd choose VdB over Grealish who is versatile but his versatility only helps us in more advanced roles which Sancho can more than cover along with VdB. But with VdB there is also the option of playing him deeper if needs be.

Couldn’t disagree more with the opening paragraph.

No way is DVB working out better than Matic. He’s not better at defending or defensive transitions. You’re speculating and misleading people here.

He’s a fair option for CM but DM and better than Matic not a chance.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Couldn’t disagree more with the opening paragraph.

No way is DVB working out better than Matic. He’s not better at defending or defensive transitions. You’re speculating and misleading people here.

He’s a fair option for CM but DM and better than Matic not a chance.
I'm glad you exposed me before I mislead the masses further..

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
For a player thats been relegated? Nah i can't see it. Maguire went for £15mil and Robertson went for £8mil i dont think I've seen a relgated player go for more than £30mil tbh.
Keep watching then, as Grealish aint coming for 30million :lol:

AltiUn

@AltiUn I do prefer Partey or Zakaria though as the DM because I believe in a high press which Ole is trying to implement, it's more important to have a DM who can dominate defensive zones.
Yeah, I can see why you'd value VdB. Admittedly I've not seen loads of him but I have liked what I've seen. That said I still wouldn't complain if we ended up with Grealish, he feels very much like a United player to me.

Also agreed, I've made no secret that I really like the look of Zakaria, seems to fit Solskjaer's mould for a DM down to the letter, I'd have him as a priority signing after Sancho.

Mcking

He plays as an 8, 7 10, or 11. Probably best as an 11. He’s versatile. He’d cover Bruno, Pogba, Rashford mostly.
I don't think he'd cover for Pogba, to a realistic level at least. Grealish and Bruno in tandem is overkill in my eyes, and there are still plenty of questions about our defensive midfield options.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah, I can see why you'd value VdB. Admittedly I've not seen loads of him but I have liked what I've seen. That said I still wouldn't complain if we ended up with Grealish, he feels very much like a United player to me.

Also agreed, I've made no secret that I really like the look of Zakaria, seems to fit Solskjaer's mould for a DM down to the letter, I'd have him as a priority signing after Sancho.
I like Grealish too and if he signed for us I'd be happy. I'm also the forgiving type so I have no issues with his misdemeanors because we all make mistakes.

Zakaria plays under Marco Rose in a team that plays the high press which stylistically is similar to what Ole is implementing at United IMO. And the Swiss midfielder absolutely dominates the zones defensively in a setup that is high risk and can leave gaping holes in several positions in defensive transition.

AltiUn

I like Grealish too and if he signed for us I'd be happy. I'm also the forgiving type so I have no issues with his misdemeanors because we all make mistakes.

Zakaria plays under Marco Rose in a team that plays the high press which stylistically is similar to what Ole is implementing at United IMO. And the Swiss midfielder absolutely dominates the zones defensively in a setup that is high risk and can leave gaping holes in several positions in defensive transition.
As long as we get one of the two I'll be happy, depth is always welcome for teams looking to challenge for every trophy.

It's a shame we've not seen many links to Zakaria since the initial interest came out from that newspaper based in Gladbach, I do hope we're keeping our eye on him.

Highfather_24

The problem with signing another DM is that would mean we would have 4 midfielders in our squad who dont offer much creativity(new DM, Matic, Mctominay, Fred). And just Pogba and Bruno who do. Its not balanced. One of them gets injured and we will struggle for creativity.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
The problem with signing another DM is that would mean we would have 4 midfielders in our squad who dont offer much creativity(new DM, Matic, Mctominay, Fred). And just Pogba and Bruno who do. Its not balanced. One of them gets injured and we will struggle for creativity.
Very good point.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Sancho is a creative player too assuming we sign him. The fullbacks would also provide creativity and Rashford and Martial too.

Creativity will come from many positions in a front foot approach.

Mcking

Sancho covers Bruno in the event of injury or suspension and Mason slots in as the right sided attacker. Sancho covers the central attacking role and the left and right forward roles and that too at a higher level IMO. Presuming we sign him of course.

So who covers Bruno is answered above. So maybe targeting a different profile of player might be more to our benefit. But I wouldn't complain if we signed him but I think Donny Van de Beek would suit us better potentially due to his versatility in a number of roles including playing deeper in a two.
I agree with this. I have doubts about van De Beek's overall quality as a midfielder, but I have no doubt his profile fits us a lot better than Grealish.

With Sancho's arrival, we'd have a lot more quality, options and cover in attack than in midfield. Grealish is more of an attacker in my eyes seeing as he plays predominantly in attacking midfield positions were we would have already have four quality options if Sancho does arrive.

A player of van De Beek's profile on the other hand would provide a quality option for CM to go with their ability to play in attacking midfield just like Grealish. The versatility would also allow us to spread minutes to every player ensuring no one is left unhappy with the minutes he's getting.

Mcking

Grealish could replace all 3 of Andreas, Mata and Lingard and you’d hope the sale of those 3 would claw back some of his transfer fee and we’d save on wages.
If we look beyond Grealish, we could bring in a player we could replace all those players while providing us another vital option in central midfield.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I'm glad you exposed me before I mislead the masses further..
It is misleading to suggest DVB would provide a better defensive cover than Matic because it’s not based on any discernible truth or consistency of performance in that role. Therefore I’m being generous by just saying misleading.

DVB is a very good midfielder at CM/AM potentially even excellent and one Id love to see at the club.

But he’ll no not as a DM I mean he could play there but to a level above Matic?

That’s just a lie. Theres nowhere near enough evidence for you to argue that point he has a grand total of 9 games (480mins so 53.3 mins per game not even a consistent starter!) playing DM against weaker Eredivise sides the most recent of which came in April 2018 and you seriously want to suggest he’d do a better job than Matic because what? He’s slightly more mobile?

Not a chance and you’re praising him for completely the wrong reasons.

AltiUn

All three attackers provide creativity, the full backs have been far more proactive in providing creativity too, it doesn't just come from midfield. There's also different kinds of creativity anyway, someone like Maguire is unusually creative for a CB due his runs into midfield with the ball which leads to further opportunities, it starts up passages of play, there's different examples of it throughout the team.

We very obviously need a DM, Matic is our only DM and he's been good but he's in his 30s so it's natural we'll see some performance drop-off in the coming seasons, we've already seen shades of that when he's been run into the ground. We just happen to need a creative midfield option too, it's not a one or the other scenario. Besides, it's very likely that one of McTominay and Fred may well end up leaving in the next few seasons anyway.

Green_Red

I've been thinking the same. He can come in and replace all 3 of those players, while also being a very capable backup for Bruno. He might not be an automatic starter here but he'll have plenty of game time, and chances to start or earn a starting place here.
I don't think I'd say he isn't a definite starter. What I'd be saying is "prove to me you should be starting on Saturday" to all of them, Rashford, Grealish, Bruno, Pogba and Greenwood. The best performers in training start. That would drive some serious competition that would only improve us overall.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It is misleading to suggest DVB would provide a better defensive cover than Matic because it’s not based on any discernible truth or consistency of performance in that role. Therefore I’m being generous by just saying misleading.

DVB is a very good midfielder at CM/AM potentially even excellent and one Id love to see at the club.

But he’ll no not as a DM I mean he could play there but to a level above Matic?

That’s just a lie. Theres nowhere near enough evidence for you to argue that point he has a grand total of 9 games (480mins so 53.3 mins per game not even a consistent starter!) playing DM against weaker Eredivise sides the most recent of which came in April 2018 and you seriously want to suggest he’d do a better job than Matic because what? He’s slightly more mobile?

Not a chance and you’re praising him for completely the wrong reasons.
Him being more mobile makes him better in defensive transition in a 'high press'

I'd even take a punt on a mobile CB as DM over Matic in a 'high press' because Matic I don't believe has the dynamism for the role. #high press

Feel free to disagree.

croadyman

He probably is guilty of holding onto the ball for too long at times but you can hardly blame him there’s not exactly a whole lot of options in that Villa side when he lifts his head up.
Yeah if he is still doing that with better players around him then you would know for sure that he hasn't got it in him to make the step up in class. I also completely understand where people are coming from who are worried about his previous off field issues but willing to give him that opportunity to prove me wrong. He will already know there is competition for starting spots at the club and think that could drive him to show that he should be starting games for this team

Last edited:

croadyman

I don't think I'd say he isn't a definite starter. What I'd be saying is "prove to me you should be starting on Saturday" to all of them, Rashford, Grealish, Bruno, Pogba and Greenwood. The best performers in training start. That would drive some serious competition that would only improve us overall.
Yeah I like the sound of that idea a lot and it will make them push each other to perform at a high level which like you say will improve us and benefit the team hugely in the long term as well

jamesjimmybyrondean

It would be nice to get both for squad depth. Sancho is the priority though.
Of course but when you have Sancho who can offer what Grealish offers in AM or LW and Greenwood can cover for Sancho in RW then you have to focus on the other holes in the team

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Of course but when you have Sancho who can offer what Grealish offers in AM or LW and Greenwood can cover for Sancho in RW then you have to focus on the other holes in the team
Sancho is for both wings. Grealish is a better 10 than Sancho. The latter doesn’t really play there. Sure he might drift there during the game but he isn’t a 10.

paulscholes18

It's weird people want Grealish for his ability to play AM and LW. This is literally Sancho.
Difference being people (myself included) want Sancho to play RW, and want Grealish to Cover LW & AM, as an injury to Pogba or Bruno we’re back to destination fecked.

croadyman

I get the impression that our top target at CB isn't available so maybe that's the reason we are looking at a back up midfielder in Grealish

Mr Smith

This is how I feel too. I also think VdB would take not being a guaranteed starter better than Grealish would.

I'd be fine with either but if I had to choose between the two I'd pick VdB.

RedCurry

I am sorry but I just don’t see it with Grealish. He looks completely average in most games. If we are to get another attacking midfielder, it has to be someone in the mould of D. Silva/Arthur/Isco etc. A player with strong close control and precision passing.

SinNombre

What are Grealish's strengths?

How press resistant is he? How quick is his decision making in transition?

People need to understand what works well in Ole's current setup.

Both Pogba and Bruno are very press resistant (for different reasons).

They are both very good in transition. Pogba might arguably be the best 8 in the world in transition, and Bruno is always forward thinking and making those attacking runs.

Anyone we buy needs to be top percentile in those categories. Very little evidence Grealish is, and his strengths are not what this version of United needs.

I don't watch enough Villa so one of his fans can show me video evidence to the contrary.

RC89

I feel like he's not a player we're desperate for. And he's apparently desperate to join us. Villa are going down. Corona will have impacted their finances too. Not sure if anyone else is interested either and Villa will need to generate funds from somewhere. If we don't get him we shouldn't panic and be forced to pay over the odds. We should set our stall out and look to pay 35-40m with add ons.

It should either be a good deal or no deal. It's not Sancho. It's not a position we're immediately desperate for. If we get him, great. If we don't, we look to an alternative. It's likely for a squad position anyway so second choice won't be as big a deal as with someone we're looking to immediately put into our first xi.

RC89

He's English, he's their captain and he's talented. Sounds like an £60-80 million transfer to me which is at the very high end of what we would normally pay for players.

We'll see, maybe relegation and CV-19 lowers their asking price to half of that.
No one is paying that for Jack Grealish who's being sold by a relegated Aston Villa. No one.

Slysi17

Pogba probably not since it's also not really Grealish's position. But Rashford and Bruno? Bruno has had an incredible start to his time here but it's still only early days. I agree that as each game goes on it looks more and more likely that he's going to remain at a top level (I believe he was consistent at Sporting as well), but for all we know he might have a month or so period each season where he struggles compared to his normal standard. Or he might take a while to get going after an injury. And we've seen first hand that Rashford can be quite inconsistent. Obviously he's young and that will hopefully improve, but it would be good to have that option.

The key thing is I don't think Grealish is that far behind them. It's like having Ole and Sheringham behind Yorke and Cole. The latter two may have been first choice but the other two were close enough to keep them on their toes, and also step in regularly and start themselves. That's how I see Grealish fitting in with us and why I would really like to see him join. In theory I would say that a couple of other positions could be a higher priority for the starting 11 if we can find the right player, but in Grealish I just see a fantastic opportunity that I think we'd regret missing out on over the next 5 or more years.
I really don't think Bruno Fernandes would slack off though or let an injury affect his form unless it's a really bad one. Ole summed him up in one sentence. Believes in giving 100% and that 99% isn't good enough. I honestly believe Bruno could make us challenge providing we get the recruitment of players right. So therefore Jack Grealish would never be in the first eleven. If I was Jack Grealish I would go to Arsenal. Would walk straight into their first eleven
Your making out the Pogba has played outstanding since he's been here and can't be dropped. I can understand your argument about Bruno to an extent. But even he will have a bad patch sooner or later. 3 players fighting for 2 positions is what we want.
They can all play in the same team against most teams in the league any way.
Have you considered Paul Pogba has been injured for the most of the season. Plus he didn't get on with Jose Mourinho either. Granted your right he hasn't performed but there are factors which I mentioned above which haven't helped

Bondi77

I wonder if Grealish was on it on Super Saturday,
He might still be feeling the effects later in the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.