Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam118

Mata looks like he is leaving, hopefully with the lack of recent appearances so will Pereira and Lingard will follow and we cannot reply on Pogba and Bruno for every game. Very sensible target and shouldn't be seen as Sancho or Grealish- we can get both!

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Mata looks like he is leaving, hopefully with the lack of recent appearances so will Pereira and Lingard will follow and we cannot reply on Pogba and Bruno for every game. Very sensible target and shouldn't be seen as Sancho or Grealish- we can get both!
I think both deals are already done just United need to finish top 4 for CL first (just so there's more revenue coming in to cover the signings)

El-Manos

I think both deals are already done just United need to finish top 4 for CL first (just so there's more revenue coming in to cover the signings)
Based on what? I think we're in for both players but I don't think they're done deals personally..

Kyonn

This for me is a total non starter.
We've learnt from our mistakes at this messing with positions business.

You buy him as an attacking midfielder, central or at a push out left, or you look elsewhere.
According to Sky he played RM in the Liverpool game (didn't see it). Also he was on the right quite a bit in the Chelsea game. So it's not like he never plays there.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
According to Sky he played RM in the Liverpool game (didn't see it). Also he was on the right quite a bit in the Chelsea game. So it's not like he never plays there.
If you mean the recent Liverpool game he certainly didn't.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Based on what? I think we're in for both players but I don't think they're done deals personally..
Grealish it's constantly mentioned by people like Sherwood (a former coach of his) who has a good relationship that 'united are in for him, and he'll be a perfect signing', he asked Giggs the question too, but Sherwood is also basically saying he knows that Grealish to United will happen, 'terms agreed with the player' is the story.

Sancho again it's the same story, 'terms agreed' and haggling over the fee, but there are sources again that he wants the move and that he is the top target in the summer. Sancho is also travelling to the UK frequently from Germany to see his family, Dortmund know Sancho wants to be back in England. City don't want him, not whilst Pep is there (which Pep will stay 2 more years), Dortmund are also aware that he wants to leave (hence them benching him now). United also know they need to pay upwards of 80M and add-ons.

Sancho is also good friends with Rashford off the field which is another reason, and since he's played in Manchester with the City youth academy, Manchester honestly is a city he knows already, there are no other clubs really in England currently that he would just fit into (that are also willing to go for the player).

At the point given what several top tier journalists, and stories from people that come from parties close to Grealish and Sancho it seems like both deals are done honestly.

There are question marks over fees, players being sold like Lingard, Pereira, Jones, Smalling, Sanchez, and if United finish top 4 for the CL money, (for instance City getting to the QF of the CL netted them 80M in revenue, which would literally pay for a Sancho), so of course getting to the CL, and top 4 would mean that the budget can be widened a little.

Seeing a lot of transfer sagas honestly I'm pretty confident of Grealish and Sancho at this point. I think both will be United players... I would honestly be very surprised if those don't happen.

I do think United need a CB before Grealish but it seems both deals are done so I don't know what the plans are for a CB honestly.

neverdie

Very overrated on this site for whatever reason. He's at his limit now. Maybe he could play for Everton or Spurs but that's about the zenith of his potential. He's 25 and has one assist and no goals in the last ten games.

neverdie

You can call him overrated if you want, but when you go so dramatically in the other direction don't you think it makes your point pretty hard to take seriously?
No. JG isn't good enough as a CM, as an attacking left-sided mifielder, as a 10, or any variation of midfield/attacking player for a side that wants to start with Pogba, Fernandes, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, and Sancho.

He's not even reached Adama Traore levels of impressive. Waste of space, time, and money. He's exactly the type of signing Chelsea would have made when they were signing the likes of Ross Barkley and other notable failures.

CM

What would be the plan for Grealish? Squad player? He won't start ahead of Bruno....he shouldn't start ahead of Rashford on the left. So he's purely a back-up? A good squad does need back-ups but how do we sell that to him and at what cost? We have Fred and McT who can't get a game just now. Not the same type of players, but with a shuffling of the pack we're quite well covered. I'd rather concentrate on signing a RW and then next priority a CB. After that maybe a CDM. but I'm not sure why a CAM/LW is being looked at.
I don't think it's a particularly hard sell. We play so many games that he would always get minutes in the team, even if that only starts from the bench and in cup competitions. If we get Champions League I imagine that would be a big pull for a player like Grealish too.

I'd like a CB and DM too but by and large our problems this season have come from our inability to create enough chances. A long-term injury to Bruno Fernandes could ruin us, and we need to make provisions for that.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
No. JG isn't good enough as a CM, as an attacking left-sided mifielder, as a 10, or any variation of midfield/attacking player for a side that wants to start with Pogba, Fernandes, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, and Sancho.

He's not even reached Adama Traore levels of impressive. Waste of space, time, and money. He's exactly the type of signing Chelsea would have made when they were signing the likes of Ross Barkley and other notable failures.
I guess Van de Beek could do a decent job as CM, but we surely need someone in case Bruno will be off form, injured or fatigued and honestly Grealish always looks to damage the opponent with a through pass or run into box... just like Bruno.

Ole will have to make the right choice.

croadyman

Grealish it's constantly mentioned by people like Sherwood (a former coach of his) who has a good relationship that 'united are in for him, and he'll be a perfect signing', he asked Giggs the question too, but Sherwood is also basically saying he knows that Grealish to United will happen, 'terms agreed with the player' is the story.

Sancho again it's the same story, 'terms agreed' and haggling over the fee, but there are sources again that he wants the move and that he is the top target in the summer. Sancho is also travelling to the UK frequently from Germany to see his family, Dortmund know Sancho wants to be back in England. City don't want him, not whilst Pep is there (which Pep will stay 2 more years), Dortmund are also aware that he wants to leave (hence them benching him now). United also know they need to pay upwards of 80M and add-ons.

Sancho is also good friends with Rashford off the field which is another reason, and since he's played in Manchester with the City youth academy, Manchester honestly is a city he knows already, there are no other clubs really in England currently that he would just fit into (that are also willing to go for the player).

At the point given what several top tier journalists, and stories from people that come from parties close to Grealish and Sancho it seems like both deals are done honestly.

There are question marks over fees, players being sold like Lingard, Pereira, Jones, Smalling, Sanchez, and if United finish top 4 for the CL money, (for instance City getting to the QF of the CL netted them 80M in revenue, which would literally pay for a Sancho), so of course getting to the CL, and top 4 would mean that the budget can be widened a little.

Seeing a lot of transfer sagas honestly I'm pretty confident of Grealish and Sancho at this point. I think both will be United players... I would honestly be very surprised if those don't happen.

I do think United need a CB before Grealish but it seems both deals are done so I don't know what the plans are for a CB honestly.
Winter seems excited at the prospect of Utd signing Sancho but said he doesn't see the need for Grealish and thinks we need to focus on a CB as our second priority instead. I agree we desperately need to sign a pacey CB alongside Maguire but does make me worry about backups if Bruno/Pogba pick up an injury or just need resting.

Last edited:

Artorias

Winter seems excited at the prospect of Utd signing Sancho but said he doesn't see the need for Grealish and thinks we need to focus on a CB as our second priority instead. I agree we desperately need to sign a pacey CB alongside Maguire but does make me worry about backups if Bruno or Pogba pick up an injury or just need resting.
I also believe that is more important to sign Sancho and Grealish (also a DM) than a CB. If Bruno/Pogba are injured/tired, we are done.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I guess Van de Beek could do a decent job as CM, but we surely need someone in case Bruno will be off form, injured or fatigued and honestly Grealish always looks to damage the opponent with a through pass or run into box... just like Bruno.

Ole will have to make the right choice.
It seems like VDB is more suited on what we need. VDB can play as AMC and CM, covering for Bruno and Pogba. That's if we get Sancho, who can also cover Rashford, and maybe 3rd option for AMC.

Meanwhile Grealish is more of a cover for Bruno and Rashford, and that's overlapping with Sancho's.

But then we don't know how VDB adapt to the League.

TheRedHearted

Going to have to disagree with the idea no other club in England ticks the box for Sancho. Liverpool could imo. He can be eased into the side and when he starts the system could stay the same, resting Salah. Other games Salah could be pushed to the middle. Firmino has been lacking goal wise there anyway- 8 this season in the league. If sir Alex was in charge of that team it would be the move he would make imo. In order to retain the title and go for the CL again it would make sense. Call me crazy but yea, couldn’t find Firminos assist so easily but I believe it’s 7.

croadyman

It seems like VDB is more suited on what we need. VDB can play as AMC and CM, covering for Bruno and Pogba. That's if we get Sancho, who can also cover Rashford, and maybe 3rd option for AMC.

Meanwhile Grealish is more of a cover for Bruno and Rashford, and that's overlapping with Sancho's.

Hopefully we still get one of them,I am a big fan of Grealish and would be my preferred signing,however can also see the merits of VDB too.

Will wait until one of the reliable transfer sources speaks with confidence either way about this.

Cooper is a decent source but he's no Romano at the end of the day. I realise Winter is tier 1 too but admitted himself he knows nothing about the situation.

RRCE

You never know how a foreign player will adapt to the EPL, it’s true. There’s almost always an element of risk there. That said, from what I’ve seen of him, VDB looks tailor made for the English game. Personally, I’d prefer him over Grealish, but would be happy wth either (assuming Sancho arrives).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He seems a good player but I'm not sure we need him given we have Pogba and Fernandes. Squad depth is important but we can't spend big sums of money for it so hopefully it wouldn't come to that.

Also, does he mostly play LW or has he consistently excelled in midfield too as that would be his position here?

SoCross

Number one target - Sancho

If we get him - focus should be on a creative midfielder like VDB.

If we don’t get Sancho, Grealish is a must.

Sancho & Grealish seems excessive, especially after Mason’s emergence. It’s either or for me.

TheRedHearted

Sancho & Grealish seems excessive, especially after Mason’s emergence. It’s either or for me.
But why if we don’t get sancho a RW is a must? I’m not sure why many people are sure pogba is staying also.

InfiniteBoredom

Between James, Mata and Lingard, they played more than 4000 minutes of PL football this season.

Let’s put it this way, even if Sancho comes in and play every single minutes of the 38 games league campaign - which he won’t, there are still 7/8 starts left that can go to Greenwood, on top of the 2000+ minutes he’s had so far, and we haven’t even gotten to Martial’s or Bruno’s back up yet. I’d even argue that Sancho+ Grealish is just about enough to make up the numbers. If anything, should we manage to flog Mata, Lingard, Pereira and relegate James to an emergency back up option - which he should be, we might even need another attacker in for rotation and competition,

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I definitely think you need both

You have a great first team at the moment but bad back up especially for Pogba and Bruno

In 17/18 season Pogba missed 12 games and in 19/20 he's missed a huge 39 games.

Rashford has missed 12 games this season and Martial 10.

Imagine the difference if Grealish had been there to fill in for Pogba rather than Lingard or Pereira and Sancho had been available for the front line rather than Mata or James.

I think you need them both and by the sounds of it I think you'll get both as well. It will immediately add huge depth to your squad

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Going to have to disagree with the idea no other club in England ticks the box for Sancho. Liverpool could imo. He can be eased into the side and when he starts the system could stay the same, resting Salah. Other games Salah could be pushed to the middle. Firmino has been lacking goal wise there anyway- 8 this season in the league. If sir Alex was in charge of that team it would be the move he would make imo. In order to retain the title and go for the CL again it would make sense. Call me crazy but yea, couldn’t find Firminos assist so easily but I believe it’s 7.
Liverpool need to fix their midfield right now, they have a lack of top midfielders, which means in the big games they can lose the midfield battles. Big teams will shut Liverpool out if they don't add some players in the midfield.

Judas

Open to offers
He seems a good player but I'm not sure we need him given we have Pogba and Fernandes. Squad depth is important but we can't spend big sums of money for it so hopefully it wouldn't come to that.

Also, does he mostly play LW or has he consistently excelled in midfield too as that would be his position here?
Says who? Why do people talk like we're a nothing team, with no money, we can spend big for squad depth, and we will.

ReddevilTinu

Buy both Grealish and VDB and sell Mata, Lingard, Perrira and promote Hannibal and Garner/Levitt. This will ensure we have good mix of young and competent midfielders as second string as well

Bondi77

Listened to the Athletic podcast this morning and they're distancing themselves from this transfer now.

Said the following:

- United were interested in Grealish but it was largely dependant on Pogba's movements. He's now settled and is excited at the prospect of playing with Jadon Sancho, so won't be leaving this summer.
- United's main interests this summer are 1. Sancho. and 2. another Striker to push Martial for competition.
- No plans to strengthen the midfield or defence outside of those two targets this window. Expecting youth players to step up.
That made sense from the start,
With the way Greenwood is playing now I would say that if we get Sancho then we will not even bother going for another striker.
I could be wrong as I think Mellor is the only striker in the youth ranks over 18.

Kostov

If we can get rid of deadwood like Lingard, Pereira and even Mata and bring Grealish while promoting a youngster it would make the world of difference to the squad.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Grealish ever being a replacement for Pogba doesn't make sense to me. Just read Ole's comments.
The squad is not strong enough. Our first choice attacking midfielder sub is Pereira. That kind of squad will never challenge.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Do this. He isn't good enough. Bigger mistake than Daniel James who might come good in a year or two.
For right wing he isn't.
For central he'd be a supreme step up in quality on anyone we have in midfield outside of Pogba and Bruno.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Liverpool need to fix their midfield right now, they have a lack of top midfielders, which means in the big games they can lose the midfield battles. Big teams will shut Liverpool out if they don't add some players in the midfield.
Like they did this past year or two?
Their midfielders are certain types. Add a more creative type and it might upset their dynamic that allows the full backs to be so free.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I also believe that is more important to sign Sancho and Grealish (also a DM) than a CB. If Bruno/Pogba are injured/tired, we are done.
But on that same logic what happens if one of our centre backs is injured?
You're into Rojo, Bailly and Jones fare.
And loads of us still think Lindelof is a weak starter himself.

Josh 76

If you are looking to improve your squad, you need quality players who are happy to be at a big club, know they may not start every week, but can come and do a great job when called upon.

And if one of the "first 11" are injured or suspended, the player comming in won't effect the team too much.

Do you think Liverpool fans were saying we don't need Werner cause he won't get in the team because we have Mane, Salah and Frimino, and we are happy with Origi as back up?

Grealish is the perfect player to bridge this gap, which is never easy to fill.

Donald Silverbridge

I want us to get him, I'm fed up with us going for the cheap option most of the time, We need options on our bench.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I'm not sure how I feel about this as a signing anymore. Was all for Grealish earlier in the season, but having watched him more and more recently I'm not convinced he is good enough, and I'm even less convinced that we will be able to sign him for the right price, which IMO should be around £35m at the absolute maximum.

In all fairness he is playing for a very poor team right now, so I wouldn't necessarily look at his lack of goals or assists and see that as a defining statistic, but I'm not convinced that he influences games enough, although he is likely to look a better player with a better team around him.

Its an interesting one, because I think we will all agree that Havertz is a better prospect with a much higher ceiling, and the prospect of him going to Chelsea concerns me, but he will be (a) more expensive and (b) harder to leave out of the team, thereby creating a selection problem we could probably do without.

It'll be interesting to see which way the club decides to go.

SoCross

But why if we don’t get sancho a RW is a must? I’m not sure why many people are sure pogba is staying also.
No Sancho means Grealish and I'm sure he can play off the right too and interchange.

Between James, Mata and Lingard, they played more than 4000 minutes of PL football this season.

Let’s put it this way, even if Sancho comes in and play every single minutes of the 38 games league campaign - which he won’t, there are still 7/8 starts left that can go to Greenwood, on top of the 2000+ minutes he’s had so far, and we haven’t even gotten to Martial’s or Bruno’s back up yet. I’d even argue that Sancho+ Grealish is just about enough to make up the numbers. If anything, should we manage to flog Mata, Lingard, Pereira and relegate James to an emergency back up option - which he should be, we might even need another attacker in for rotation and competition,
Hmm when you put it like this...Rashford, Bruno, Mata, Lingard, Greenwood, James for three spots (the three behind the striker).

If Lingard and Mata leave, Sancho & Grealish come in as the immediate upgrades. Greenwood can get minutes for the striker position too. James will be relegated to backup like you said. Hmmm. Sounds tasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.