Status
Not open for further replies.

LisburnWhite

Then put your little hand in mine
There ain't no hill or mountain we can't climb
Babe
I got you babe
I got you babe

OK, campers, rise and shine, and don't forget your booties cause it's cold out there. It's cold out there every day.

"Happy Sancho day, again"

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
If he leaves I'm sure Dortmund will be saying he threw a tantrum. Regardless of whether he does or not.

Were playing brinkmanship and if it doesn't work out the domestic transfer window runs for a week or two past the european one. So i presume we go for Sarr or Brooks or something.
Hasn’t realised that and it’s a very good point!

That’s what club must have meant when they said ‘trust the process’. Means we can take BVB right to the wire and yet can still buy some RW cover the next day.

it’s a very good get out clause - everyone can now calm down!

jadON

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Looking at Chelsea and Havertz then the United board and their recruitment, night and day.

zarrelito

Supports
Djurgårdens IF
Happy Sanchoday!
remember this: "We can do things in the transfer market that other clubs can only dream of"

Pagh Wraith

What?! :lol: There are no briefings (not that clubs in Germany do these kind of things anyway) and the only statements of Dortmund officials are disclaimers when journalists ask them if one of those twitter rumors are true. You know, there's an equivalent to this thread on the biggest German football forum, transfermarkt.de. It was closed after August 10 and reopened after the insider stories that United had agreed personal terms with Sancho (to the bewilderment of most fans). There hasn't been a single post in it since 5 days. Nobody talks about this over here and that's because this rumor is dead in the German media landscape.

By the way, not saying that this has any meaning. But your theory is definitely as far from the truth as possible.
That's the funny thing for me as well. I have never really followed a developing transfer story as I don't find it particularly interesting and I have no dog in this particular fight. This is also not a case of me being German and sticking up for the Bundesliga (I'd much rather watch the Premier League) if anyone wants to go down that route. But as this saga has been progressing I have found myself hoping that Sancho stays another season more and more. I don't understand what United are playing at here and the way they are acting comes across a bit small time. What is it with all the journalist briefings? Is that normal with these transfer stories? Why would you tell these leeches anything? And as you said, this whole thing is not even discussed in Germany. Dortmund's forum doesn't even have a Sancho thread. Think if a deal does not happen in the coming weeks, United will look like bigger mugs than Dortmund if it does not.

Last edited:

Crustanoid

Babe
I got you babe
I got you babe

OK, campers, rise and shine, and don't forget your booties cause it's cold out there. It's cold out there every day.

haha

I thought I recognised Joel Glazer. ‘It’s Ned! Ned Ryerson!’......THWACK!!

Dr. StrangeHate

With the presiding global pandemic, it would have made complete sense if United were conservative in their spending...HOWEVER...when all the top 6 teams have made significant transfers, it does start to smell like incompetence and general transfer cluelessness from the club.

Also...United seem to staunchly believe in maintaining a painfully sterile and aloof corporate image that couldn’t be any more different from the average working class fan.
Real Madrid, Barcelona, heck even PSG have been cautious. The clubs that are spending are taking a risk. Next year football prices might look a lot different.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Is there really not anyone as good as him that we can get for a reasonable price?

Syphon Wallet

Babe
I got you babe
I got you babe

Thats the kind of optimism we are known for in Lisburn!

Park's Petrified Pooch

Real Madrid, Barcelona, heck even PSG have been cautious. The clubs that are spending are taking a risk. Next year football prices might look a lot different.
Therein lies the problem for us. If prices are more reasonable next season, a player of Sancho’s current ability and future potential will have every one of the top clubs in Europe vying for his signature. If United don’t pull the trigger on this signing given his willingness to come, our needs as a team, and the lack of any rivals for his signature at this time, we may well love to regret it for a very long time in my opinion.

Dr. StrangeHate

Therein lies the problem for us. If prices are more reasonable next season, a player of Sancho’s current ability and future potential will have every one of the top clubs in Europe vying for his signature. If United don’t pull the trigger on this signing given his willingness to come, our needs as a team, and the lack of any rivals for his signature at this time, we may well love to regret it for a very long time in my opinion.
I think one issue is the club have made an assessment, that no matter what players we get, competing with Klopp and Pep is highly unlikely. So spending money now does not affect us much. Our squad is still 3rd best and we still should make top 4 easily. Waiting till next year when prices are lower across football is a reasonable strategy.

Last edited:

Dve

Interesting article from Luckhurst today about the Sancho transfer. This is his main point:

"Amid the ongoing uncertainty over the coronavirus pandemic and the delay to supporters returning to stadiums, United sources insist the extension to their financial results allows them to offer investors as much clarity as possible due to developing events.

United will complete their fiscal first quarter on September 30 2020 and any transfer activity before that date would be reflected in the financial reporting and accounts dated September 30, which would then be reported to investors in mid-November.

There is an incentive for United to delay any bid for Sancho until after September 30, which would mean the transfer would only be reflected in the fiscal second quarter accounts ending December 31 2020. As a public company, there is logic in United delaying a bid until between October 1-5, given the benefit of reporting such a material transaction in the quarter ending December 31, rather than in the current quarter that will detail severe losses."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-transfers-jadon-sancho-18983507

Himannv

Interesting article from Luckhurst today about the Sancho transfer. This is his main point:

"Amid the ongoing uncertainty over the coronavirus pandemic and the delay to supporters returning to stadiums, United sources insist the extension to their financial results allows them to offer investors as much clarity as possible due to developing events.

United will complete their fiscal first quarter on September 30 2020 and any transfer activity before that date would be reflected in the financial reporting and accounts dated September 30, which would then be reported to investors in mid-November.

There is an incentive for United to delay any bid for Sancho until after September 30, which would mean the transfer would only be reflected in the fiscal second quarter accounts ending December 31 2020. As a public company, there is logic in United delaying a bid until between October 1-5, given the benefit of reporting such a material transaction in the quarter ending December 31, rather than in the current quarter that will detail severe losses."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-transfers-jadon-sancho-18983507
This is possibly the most hopeful thing I've read for the last 1133 pages.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022

Done dealio. :drool:

Andersons Dietician

I’m pretty sure this was mentioned ages ago. Because If I recall Dortmund also have a quarterly report coming out very soon and it was suggested that United would wait till theirs is out of the way and then move on Dortmund once their report is done as they believe they (Dortmund) will be in a worse financial situation.

pascell

OK Samuel, I'm back in!

#FreeSancho!

GoldanoGraham

That's the funny thing for me as well. I have never really followed a developing transfer story as I don't find it particularly interesting and I have no dog in this particular fight. This is also not a case of me being German and sticking up for the Bundesliga (I'd much rather watch the Premier League) if anyone wants to go down that route. But as this saga has been progressing I have found myself hoping that Sancho stays another season more and more. I don't understand what United are playing at here and the way they are acting comes across a bit small time. What is it with all the journalist briefings? Is that normal with these transfer stories? Why would you tell these leeches anything? And as you said, this whole thing is not even discussed in Germany. Dortmund's forum doesn't even have a Sancho thread. Think if a deal does not happen in the coming weeks, United will look like bigger mugs than Dortmund if it does not.
The only way there would have been any further developments would have been if Sancho had thrown his toys out of the pram - he hasn’t, there is no discussions going on with the clubs, Dortmund clearly are not desperate for the cash and why would they now want this turmoil after the season has started?
Based on the fact that Judge is haggling with Porto at the moment we all know he cannot multi task so there is no time left to make this happen......however I wouldn’t be surprised if we put in a very late offer that we get laughed at for and just makes them look like the clowns that they are.....

lewwoo

Grasping at straws.

Banana Republic

There isn’t going to be a return to the pre-Covid market next year. The economic outlook is quite bleak across Europe and much of the world and football clubs will not be immune from its effects.
Apart from the match day income, sponsorship deals will take a big hit as large corporations will need to tighten their belts and will not be willing to splash the cash, if the returns are much reduced.
Some of the big commercial deals are dependent on clubs competing in European competitions such as the CL, or reaching top spots in their domestic leagues. Failure to deliver either means the potential full payments don’t get made, or sponsorship payments are cut back as clauses in the contract are triggered.
I can see those big clubs continuing to be cautious for a long while yet. That’s not to say there won’t be a few “big transfers”, but I doubt there’ll be many, or even any, £100m+ transfer deals for a long time.

United could be walking a financial tightrope on transfers at the moment. Being stuck with expensive wages for half a dozen surplus or substandard players has really boxed us in and reduces the diminishing headroom the club has for making any big name signings.
The reported loss of circa £140m in income is bad enough, but if we hadn’t scraped into top 4 CL spot, Utd would now be facing the prospect of serious difficulties.
As such, £100m for Sancho is out of the question and this non-deal, that isn’t even going on at the moment, is just a diversion.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

This is “It will be completed when the NYSE opens up again on Monday“ on methamphetamine.

ElMatador

Supports
Zagreb
Dortmund just signed that wonderkid from City, get ready guys, Jadon is landing tonight or tommorow in Manchester.. ;)

Last edited:

Hayton

Babe
I got you babe
I got you babe

amazing

slyadams

I think one issue is the club have made an assessment, that no matter what players we get, competing with Klopp and Pep is highly unlikely. So spending money now does not affect us much. Our squad is still 3rd best and we still should make top 4 easily. Waiting till next year when prices are lower across football is a reasonable strategy.
Not for me anymore, we're behind Chelsea, which means if we have the 4th best squad we have little room for error to not miss out on CL. However, your point is valid that if the club believe he won't materially affect our position this season then what's the point. The problem with that thinking is that its a process. Sancho this summer, DM and CB next summer and suddenly everything has changed. I also don't disagree with your last point that prices are likely to go down not up as I think this season is looking more and more likely to be fan-less, but the problem is that I think the window for United to get Sancho is short lived. We've had a free run at him this year, I don't think we'll get that again.

rotherham_red

I don't think that'll be the case. We're one of the more financially insulated clubs around and I'm sure, if the situation was fine, we'd have been willing to pay the £108m required from Dortmund right now, which is something the other clubs wouldn't have ever countenanced.

While we're not spending now, these funds will predominantly be kept where they are. The same can't be said of the other clubs who have spent this year. That money won't have come from a magic money tree. It seems that we are expecting next summer to be an even more depressed market, and the clubs who have splurged now, won't be the ones who will be spending much next summer because they won't have the funds to spend on the scale required.

Of the teams who could realistically rival us for him, there's Real, who are currently balancing their books because they are a) having a stadium rebuild in the middle of a global pandemic and recession, and b), if they are looking to buy a player, would have their eyes firmly set on Mbappe. PSG are struggling to meet even the most lightest of FFP requirements this year, and while they could be forced to sell Mbappe (I personally don't think that will be happening), I don't see Sancho willing to spend his peak years in France, because as we saw with Verratti, it will be more likely to get blood out of a stone, no matter what Sancho's feelings would be. Liverpool might be the challengers if they sell one of Mane or Salah, but tbh I don't see either of the big two in Spain (and that is probably the only realistic market for them) being interested in them, for various reasons, and I don't think they'll have a great season this year (I know, mad to say after their start, but I really do think that will be the case this year). Even so, the wages and fees involved in completing the deal would probably have FSG backing away. I don't see Barca or Chelsea being in the mix for different reasons.

We blew everyone out of the water when the finances were fine, and we'll likely blow them away when the finances aren't fine and we're one of the very few clubs who are reasonably insulated against the financial impacts of Covid.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
The only thing that gives me confidence this still could happen is that I agreed a sale on a house in March and it still hasn't gone through yet. If the sale completes and we sign Sancho on the same day I think I may have some kind of tantric orgasm. Unless Woodward is also my buyer's solicitor then I am absolutely fecked.

Status
Not open for further replies.