Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

El-Manos

There is just no way we are pay £115M for a player this summer. Unless its something like £85M up front and rest in bonus related payments then this isn't happening IMO. Besides, he isn't worth that type of money in the first place. Would love him here but at that price we could shore up our MF options and buy a different right sided option. Think Dortmund will cave on price in the end though. We aren't that desperate for him.
We are though, that’s the problem. We literally have no options there. James should not be a starter and Greenwood is a striker. A combative/energetic midfielder + RW is a must this window. Sancho is the best option, we shouldn’t settle for less. We’re Manchester United.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That is such a risky move. If he waits till his contract expires, BVB will not be playing him weekly knowing he could leave on a free.

2 years in football is a very long time, loss of form, injuries, never know what can happen. With the riches on offer, there are only a handful clubs that offer those wages.

BVB will probably thinking, will there be clubs in for Sancho next season? Like now, if we are willing to wait one season, next season other clubs will be willing to wait and take him on a free.

I cannot imagine a team next year saying we will spend £120m on sancho when wait a year and he will come on a free. With age on his side, teams can afford to wait another year or two.
If he's advised in the correct manner then he will go into discussions with Dortmund regarding a new contract and should drag the negotiations for as long as possible. Dortmund are not in a good position if the player wants out/refuses to extend. And if Dortmund do bench him, then they'll be shooting themselves in the foot.

Unless Sancho extends his contract, Dortmund will find themselves at a disadvantage after this season. I personally hope we stick to our guns in the negotiations. And we aren't as desperate as some people seem to think we're. I think a deal will be struck with Dortmund eventually but it will include bonuses and incentives.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
No-one was ever paying "£150+m" for Sancho with 2 years left on his contract. Covid or no Covid.

Mani

You forget that while Sancho might be sold for cheaper, so will Dortmunds targets. They can sign some replacements for dirt cheap and then make a huge profit on Sancho, and not keep an unhappy player.
Exactly it happens either way.

TrueRed79

We are though, that’s the problem. We literally have no options there. James should not be a starter and Greenwood is a striker. A combative/energetic midfielder + RW is a must this window. Sancho is the best option, we shouldn’t settle for less. We’re Manchester United.
Not disagreeing that we don't need him but we aren't desperate in the way we were for a CB and RB last summer for example. Yes we absolutely need a right sided attacker but it doesn't necessarily need to be Sancho at he same time. Not arguing with the fact he's our number 1 target, quality player.

romufc

If he's advised in the correct manner then he will go into discussions with Dortmund regarding a new contract and should drag the negotiations for as long as possible. Dortmund are not in a good position if the player wants out/refuses to extend. And if Dortmund do bench him, then they'll be shooting themselves in the foot.

Unless Sancho extends his contract, Dortmund will find themselves at a disadvantage after this season. I personally hope we stick to our guns in the negotiations. And we aren't as desperate as some people seem to think we're. I think a deal will be struck with Dortmund eventually but it will include bonuses and incentives.
They will be shooting themselves in the foot if he leaves on a free, especially if its someone they can get £100m for.

The issue with BVB is that they are a selling club, they threaten to challenge for the league which doesnt materialise, and in the CL we have seen this season they are out quite early.

So keeping Sancho and losing out on £100m is a big risk if you are not going to challenge for the league.

Every season they keep saying no to negotiation, the more likely they lose the player for nothing. You can keep hoping for a bidding war but history shows that never materialises. How many teams can actually afford to pay £100m without sales?

Devil may care

If this is the only deal we get done this summer I'd be content, I think the midfield is still missing a piece and we haven't really settled on a long term partner for Maguire, but we'd have plenty to get top 4 and build the next phase from there.

Giggsy13

If we wait until 2021 as suggested by some then we’re potentially competing with Chelsea, the dippers, Madrid, PSG and Barca. Even city may consider entering the race with Sane likely gone. If it comes at paying a premium now then do it and deal with the consequence of player sales that will/may be needed to help fund the move. This is the most important transfer of an English player since Rooney. We were on the right side of history there and we are in desperate need of a repeat with Sancho.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
They will be shooting themselves in the foot if he leaves on a free, especially if its someone they can get £100m for.

The issue with BVB is that they are a selling club, they threaten to challenge for the league which doesnt materialise, and in the CL we have seen this season they are out quite early.

So keeping Sancho and losing out on £100m is a big risk if you are not going to challenge for the league.

Every season they keep saying no to negotiation, the more likely they lose the player for nothing. You can keep hoping for a bidding war but history shows that never materialises. How many teams can actually afford to pay £100m without sales?
Completely agree.

Like I've mentioned in one of my previous posts, unless Sancho extends his contract. Dortmund aren't in a strong position at all from a sellers perspective. The up coming transfer window will be their final opportunity to get as much money as possible for the player.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If this is the only deal we get done this summer I'd be content, I think the midfield is still missing a piece and we haven't really settled on a long term partner for Maguire, but we'd have plenty to get top 4 and build the next phase from there.
Think the midfield is great and would be overly bloated if we add. Pogba, bruno, Mctominay, Fred and Matic as depth, Garner as youth (and Gomes but probably off), Mata/Pereira/Lingard as desperation plays in case of big crisis...

Sancho and a quick and aggressive CB to partner Maguire would complete us IMO. Next would just be looking at upgrading what we have if some aren't enough (left back, striker, holding mid), or a swap for Pogba if he leaves.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think Dortmund would believe they can still get a decent whack for him next year.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The Club should be more worried about the backlash of failing to field a title contender since Sir Alex. We need to be ruthless. Chelsea have moved swiftly to secure two targets already so we can’t worry about the morals of doing business in this window.
How many times does this need pointing out? Chelsea haven't spent any money for 2 years and have brought in 145m from Hazard n Morata on top. Nobody is competing with them in this window alone. They are going to be the exception to the rule. Very unique circumstances.

We will do some business for sure but people need to get back down to planet Earth a little.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think Dortmund would believe they can still get a decent whack for him next year.
They might still get £60m next year, but they risk him deciding to run his contract down and leave as a free agent. A club like Dortmund just can't refuse that sort of money. IF they can squeeze £100m or so out of United this window I think they'd take it and run. They still Have Brandt and Hazard on the wings who are good in their own right, and could buy another serious winger with that sort of cash.

IMO they sell this window as he already wanted to leave last year too.

Devil may care

Think the midfield is great and would be overly bloated if we add. Pogba, bruno, Mctominay, Fred and Matic as depth, Garner as youth (and Gomes but probably off), Mata/Pereira/Lingard as desperation plays in case of big crisis...

Sancho and a quick and aggressive CB to partner Maguire would complete us IMO. Next would just be looking at upgrading what we have if some aren't enough (left back, striker, holding mid), or a swap for Pogba if he leaves.
I don't think we'd be bloated as we should also be selling, the balance isn't there, especially if Pogba ends up staying as none of the others are good enough defensively to partner him in a double pivot if Ole insists on sticking with 4-2-3-1, and it's no good people arguing that we can switch formations for the bigger games as it's the smaller games where we have been getting caught out when Pogba is in a 2.

I would like Upamecano but I'd also be fine with seeing if Bailly or Axel can claim the spot with a full season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The Club should be more worried about the backlash of failing to field a title contender since Sir Alex. We need to be ruthless. Chelsea have moved swiftly to secure two targets already so we can’t worry about the morals of doing business in this window.
Chelsea were in negotiations with Ajax for Ziyech in December 2019 about the same time frame as we were trying to sign Fernandes from SCP. Whilst they dithered and failed to come to a agreement for Ziyech in January, we signed Fernandes and he's played several games for us whilst we are still yet to see Ziyech play a game for Chelsea. I'd say it was United who moved swiftly whilst Chelsea were slow and missed the cut off point for the January transfer window. Can you imagine the uproar if we did the same with Fernandes?

Werner had a release clause and there was a cut off point for how long the release clause was active, hence Chelsea were forced to move quickly.

Last edited:

Skeezix

Chelsea were in negotiations with Ajax for Ziyech in December 2019 about the same time frame as we were trying to sign Fernandes from SCP. Whilst they dithered and failed to come to a agreement for Ziyech in January, we signed Fernandes and he's played several games for us whilst we are still yet to see Ziyech play a game for Chelsea. I'd say it was United who moved swiftly whilst Chelsea were slow and missed the cut off point for the January transfer window. Can you imagine the uproar if we did the same with Fernandes?

Werner had a release clause and there was a cut off point for how long the release clause was active, hence Chelsea were forced to move quickly.
But weren't we in for Bruno the whole summer and then missing out on him while we let go Ander Herrera. Bruno was signed after things got out of hand in the Winter transfer window to the extent of Woodward being doxed.
But I do hope we don't dither on Sancho.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Pedulla is citing Bild as the source and he's saying that the outlet is reporting that Sancho wants the move to United to be finalised as soon as possible.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Sancho has two years left in his contract and Dortmund would never let him go for free. They'd want to get as much money as they can for Sancho so which transfer window gives them the best chance to do this? This upcoming window or the next and why?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Pedulla is citing Bild as the source and he's saying that the outlet is reporting that Sancho wants the move to United to be finalised as soon as possible.

Bild are a fairly good source too.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Bild are a fairly good source too.
The source might be sport Bild. But not sure. Below is also what they're reporting.

"Dortmund, for its part, would like to keep Sancho for another season and shoot high but #mufc are increasingly pressing. The intervention of Rashford and Lingard will leverage the player's will".

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Sancho has two years left in his contract and Dortmund would never let him go for free. They'd want to get as much money as they can for Sancho so which transfer window gives them the best chance to do this? This upcoming window or the next and why?
While I agree with you that they will look to sell him, I'm not sure that "Dortmund would never let him go for free" is a 100% accurate statement given they did exactly that with Lewandowski. They could have sold him for money to Bayern the season before like they did with the likes of Hummels etc. but still kept him as they thought they'd be better off having him with another season and try to win the title.

RkkMan

While I agree with you that they will look to sell him, I'm not sure that "Dortmund would never let him go for free" is a 100% accurate statement given they did exactly that with Lewandowski. They could have sold him for money to Bayern the season before like they did with the likes of Hummels etc. but still kept him as they thought they'd be better off having him with another season and try to win the title.
What they did with Lewa is a mistake they will likely not want to make again. He still ended up leaving and they lost out on a potentially good fee. If they did the same with Sancho they would be the only losers here cause their business model depends on big money sales gambling on missing out on a potential 9 digit figure that could solve financial problems especially in this climate will be gross incompetence on top of keeping an unhappy player for 2 years which is a long time. There is no benefit in keeping Sancho beyond 2021 at best. This summer is their best chance of selling him.

Strelok

Sancho could wait one year because for the 2020/21 season the ball will be in Dortmunds court. And if Dortmund do decide to keep him for one more season then that opens up the extremely lucrative free transfer option for Sancho that will make him a fortune. It could well be in Sancho's interest to walk on a free due to the riches on offer and he'll still be very young.
Exactly, imagine his signing on fee, salary and other bonus if he's a free transfer. Dortmund would be really stupid to let that happen. And he's only 20.

Imo Dortmund is just playing hard ball to get the max out of this. It's gonna be long and can get done only in the last days of this window I think.

Posh Red

Exactly, imagine his signing on fee, salary and other bonus if he's a free transfer. Dortmund would be really stupid to let that happen. And he's only 20.

Imo Dortmund is just playing hard ball to get the max out of this. It's gonna be long and can get done only in the last days of this window I think.
At the same time, you never know in football. He could secure a great deal now wherever he goes. There is no guarantee his stock will be high in a couple of years time (although it is likely).

sparx99

They might still get £60m next year, but they risk him deciding to run his contract down and leave as a free agent. A club like Dortmund just can't refuse that sort of money. IF they can squeeze £100m or so out of United this window I think they'd take it and run. They still Have Brandt and Hazard on the wings who are good in their own right, and could buy another serious winger with that sort of cash.

IMO they sell this window as he already wanted to leave last year too.
It's almost as if they aren't going to just capitulate when there are months before the transfer window closes! 'We won't negotiate from £115m' is exactly what Dortmund should be saying right now before accepting £90-100m later on. They aren't going to weaken their hand by saying Sancho can leave for x.

RkkMan

We could and should get this deal done even if BVB reportedly want 115m. Dembele`s deal to Barca was a base fee of 96m with add ons worth around 40m. A base fee of around 80-90m that can rise to 115m should not be an extremely hard deal for Utd to do COVID or no COVID.

Strelok

At the same time, you never know in football. He could secure a great deal now wherever he goes. There is no guarantee his stock will be high in a couple of years time (although it is likely).
The problem here is the decision is up to Dortmund not Sancho. It's not like he himself refuses to go and wait to leave on a free.

If Dortmund refuses to sell then Sancho has only two options. Sign a new contract or leave on a free. I don't think he would prefer the first.

Plus, as you said, there's no guarantee his stock would be that high in a couple years. This summer is the best time for Dortmund to sell him.

Posh Red

The problem here is the decision is up to Dortmund not Sancho. It's not like he himself refuses to go and wait to leave on a free.

If Dortmund refuses to sell then Sancho has only two options. Sign a new contract or leave on a free. I don't think he would prefer the first.

Plus, as you said, there's no guarantee his stock would be that high in a couple years. This summer is the best time for Dortmund to sell him.
Agreed

Lynty

Agree

theklr

It's almost as if they aren't going to just capitulate when there are months before the transfer window closes! 'We won't negotiate from £115m' is exactly what Dortmund should be saying right now before accepting £90-100m later on. They aren't going to weaken their hand by saying Sancho can leave for x.
haha, spot on.

the earliest we will get any kind of official confirmation is when Bundesliga is finished

jamesjimmybyrondean

That would be a really dumb move from them. They risked Lewand leaving for free to help them win the league and ended up finiahi 19 points behind Bayern. Sancho would also kick up a fuss if that happens. I don't see the use of trying to keep an unhappy player to help you win a league you can't win. Then lose him for free when you could have sold him for a big price and invested in your squad

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.