Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

I don't think we will pay £100m, if a deal will be done it will be around £80m plus add ons.

The problem is there isn't another high quality RW available that will be that much cheaper. Sancho is probably x2 or x 4 the player some of other RW's are but the price for a decent RW starts at £60m.
Yeah I will say £85m plus addons

Rolaholic

I don't think we will pay £100m, if a deal will be done it will be around £80m plus add ons.

The problem is there isn't another high quality RW available that will be that much cheaper. Sancho is probably x2 or x 4 the player some of other RW's are but the price for a decent RW starts at £60m.
Exactly this, there's a huge drop off in quality from someone like him and cheaper alternatives that wouldn't necessarily move the needle much for us.

The one alternative I've heard mentioned that I agree would genuinely improve us would be Traore from Wolves but even then I hardly doubt Wolves would let him go to a PL rival for cheap.

If Villa were quoting 70-80m earlier in the season for Grealish, Wolves will surely ask for the same or more for one of their best players.

romufc

Exactly this, there's a huge drop off in quality from someone like him and cheaper alternatives that wouldn't necessarily move the needle much for us.

The one alternative I've heard mentioned that I agree would genuinely improve us would be Traore from Wolves but even then I hardly doubt Wolves would let him go to a PL rival for cheap.

If Villa were quoting 70-80m earlier in the season for Grealish, Wolves will surely ask for the same or more for one of their best players.
I don't see how Traore is a backup to Sancho when he will be £70m plus. He won't upgrade our front line, he isnt the type of player our squad is built towards. We are not looking for a player to dribble from the half way line. The way we play at the moment is, touch and go, pass pass and that means the player needs to be able to control the ball in tight spaces and find a pass. Sometimes run in behind, and only one player suits that criteria.

It is going to be hard to find someone for £30/40m that will impressive.

rotherham_red

Don’t get the obsession with that Peaky Blinder on here. Haven’t opened his thread for months personally, and I am not that convinced anything is in it. I think we could probably get Brooks for £20m and enjoy the same benefits. He’s a leftie too and a better right wing cover, in addition to attacking midfield cover for Bruno.
Wouldn't mind Brooks at all, the only issue is he hasn't really played all that much due to injury.

Prodigal7

Yeah aren't arsenal paying something like £15m per year for Nicolas Pepe over 5 years, daft as it sounds if Utd genuinely thought Koulibaly was open to joining us then think they would offer some kind of deal like that for him but gut feeling is City bound.
Transfers are paid for via Ammortization. For example, if you pay a £50m fee for someone and they sign a 5 year contract the default accounting position is that you're paying £10m per year for 5 years. It's basically the fee divided by the contract length.
Clubs often negotiate different payment structures though. With Maguire we agreed to pay the entire fee up front but that's usually quite rare. I believe when you pay a buyout clause, you actually end up paying a lot more because legally you have to pay the money directly to the player before they themselves have to buyout their contract and therefore they have to pay income tax on the money they get from the buying club. I'm sure there are some smart accountants that can get around a lot of the income tax with offshore companies etc and I think we did something similar with Herrera. Release clauses mean you pay the fee directly to the club (I think without any tax).

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Don’t get the obsession with that Peaky Blinder on here. Haven’t opened his thread for months personally, and I am not that convinced anything is in it. I think we could probably get Brooks for £20m and enjoy the same benefits. He’s a leftie too and a better right wing cover, in addition to attacking midfield cover for Bruno.
Who are you referring to? Sancho? Not getting the reference

croadyman

Transfers are paid for via Ammortization. For example, if you pay a £50m fee for someone and they sign a 5 year contract the default accounting position is that you're paying £10m per year for 5 years. It's basically the fee divided by the contract length.
Clubs often negotiate different payment structures though. With Maguire we agreed to pay the entire fee up front but that's usually quite rare. I believe when you pay a buyout clause, you actually end up paying a lot more because legally you have to pay the money directly to the player before they themselves have to buyout their contract and therefore they have to pay income tax on the money they get from the buying club. I'm sure there are some smart accountants that can get around a lot of the income tax with offshore companies etc and I think we did something similar with Herrera. Release clauses mean you pay the fee directly to the club (I think without any tax).
Thanks for explaining all that because I will admit I'm a complete novice when it comes to that kind of information regarding transfer fees

rotherham_red

Well to be frank, I think everyone realizes that we have an opportunity to sign a generational talent.

But some of us have eventually started facing the truth, myself included.

I’m now of the opinion that if all our (potential) funds will go towards Sancho not leaving us any room to sign others, then I’m not sure it’s a risk worth taking. We’ve had bad luck with injuries last couple years and we’re again 2/3 injuries away to first team players, from being in a tough spot again next year.

Had we not signed Bruno, and this pandemic hadn’t happened, where we would be having to finish the remaining season without Rashford/Pogba, who knows if we’d even be in a better position than Spurs/Sheffield, let alone Wolves/Arsenal. But yes we did sign him and yes we did get a blessing in disguise in the form of a delay.

However, does signing Sancho ensure we are ready to fight for the 1st spot right away, like liverpool were when they signed Van Dijk/Alisson? Im not so sure about that. I think we’re still at least a couple seasons away unless we are wise enough to increase depth in our squad first and try to go for Sancho next year whereby we utilize available funds & time wisely. I think we need to continue making smart acquisitions for now and go for a marquee signing when we’re literally just that missing step away from challenging for the title.

Had Greenwood not come up as fast as he has, I would argue more in favour of taking a risk right away since we’re literally getting a free run at Sancho this summer while also filling a huge spot in the starting 11. But now I think we should take advantage of how our situation has evolved recently.
I almost totally agree with you, but the issue is the market for Sancho will likely be much, much more fierce next year. Real, potentially Barca, would be in for him and while I do think we need better squad players (particularly in midfield) we simply cannot pass up the opportunity to sign Sancho when it has been presented.

Prodigal7

Thanks for explaining all that because I will admit I'm a complete novice when it comes to that kind of information regarding transfer fees
NP, a lot of people get excited with buyout clauses (which I think are a legal requirement in Spain), confusing them with release clauses. But the reality is that a £100m buyout clause is likely to cost upwards of £130m after taxes depending on the province and when a PL club is buying a Spanish player from a Spanish club against the will of the Spanish club, the Spanish legal system/courts gets pretty protective and angry so most English clubs don't want to get involved in it, they'd rather negotiate. It's why you don't see more cases of PL or championship clubs buying out La Liga contracts, in reality the Spanish judiciary system is not very independent of the government.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
From what I read somewhere payment of wages and miscallaneous expenses are paid off by revenue. Think our cash reserves would be seriously pinched with as a last resort of the things you`ve mentioned if we miss out on CL football because of the 30% cut we will get from Adidas but if we get top 4 and possibly a trophy I`m sure any expenses will be covered for more easily whilst still being able to spend. Last summer a big chunk of money from reserves which was 300m was used for transfers it was confirmed in our last quarter.
Ah okay makes sense now! Thanks bro!
I forgot about the reserves..

croadyman

Hunch or ITK ?
Maybe he knows this guy from reddit who is supposed to be tier 2 for transfers, like I say this may not come to anything so don't shoot the messenger, however seeing as that guy mentioned early August then thought might as well share it anyway

Sancho: Progressing well, no hold ups so far. Expecting it to be done by early August, no sign of any delay in that regard.

Prodigal7

Maybe he knows this guy from reddit who is supposed to be tier 2 for transfers, like I say this may not come to anything so don't shoot the messenger, however seeing as that guy mentioned early August then thought might as well share it anyway

Sancho: Progressing well, no hold ups so far. Expecting it to be done by early August, no sign of any delay in that regard.
It seems pretty obvious we’ve agreed terms and just need to agree a price with Dortmund. There can’t be anyone in the world that knows timeframes or what price can be agreed so this is clearly a wind up

croadyman

It seems pretty obvious we’ve agreed terms and just need to agree a price with Dortmund. There can’t be anyone in the world that knows timeframes or what price can be agreed so this is clearly a wind up
There maybe nothing in it at all but was just responding to that previous message

pascell

I'm guessing it's more because the tier 1 journalist for Dortmund said they've set a date for August 10th for a deal to be done or that'll be that for this summer.

Plus we play LASK 5th August then enter the mini tournament for the EL, so I'm guessing we'll have the majority/all of our business done by then, so it's not a distraction for when we go into the mini tournament.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Can anyone tell me how reliable this news actually is?

I thought he had already ‘agreed terms’ and our qualification wasn’t going to influence his decision much

nainaisson

I thought he had already ‘agreed terms’ and our qualification wasn’t going to influence his decision much
It's an obligatory story that comes out whenever United are connected to a player in a club that's in the Champions League. Copying and pasting Jadon Sancho's name into a story that was written for Zlatan, Pogba, Mkhitaryan, etc., is the laziest and most common form of sports journalism.

ash_86

Bild is quite reliable for German news. Might be that this news might be little old. Fab says Sancho has no problem what so ever to sign with united.

Suvvernmanc

Bvb need the money dont they? They definately don't hold all the cards in the negotiation process like they are making out.

It might end up being less than their €120m demands, like €90m (£81.46m) plus €10m (£9.05m) in add ons. Not a bad price for someone like Sancho imo

arnie_ni

I think your mistaking the accounting treatment for payment terms.

Ive never read about a fee being paid over more than 2 or 3 years

Bwuk

Don’t think we’ll pay the 120m euros and it’ll be something like £90m.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This is sort of like inviting a guest to an event who you know is always late, so you just give them a different start time.

Ah I thought it was just Falk quoting Bild?
He's a Bild journo is he not?
A Dortmund based paper reported the same thing over the weekend.

romufc

Looks like it is legit. Same story from two sources.
Happy this won't drag.
I hope you realise this is Manutd. Every transfer drags. Considering the transfer window is not open, I can see this dragging into September.

lysglimt

Scout
Out of curiosity - would people be happy if we only sign Sancho this summer because of financial restraints due to the Corona-virus ? personally I think we need quality over quantity now - so I would rather we blow our budget on a quality player like Sancho than getting 2-3 players who are almost as good.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Out of curiosity - would people be happy if we only sign Sancho this summer because of financial restraints due to the Corona-virus ? personally I think we need quality over quantity now - so I would rather we blow our budget on a quality player like Sancho than getting 2-3 players who are almost as good.
Pretty much. We have plenty of players but need it trimming down and adding quality instead.

Lingard/Pereira out and Sancho in would be a nice start.

Sanche7

It's a lot of money, especially with the whole pandemic going on but Sancho can give us 10 very good years, minimum. And since he doesn't rely on his pace too much, he can easily play into his mid 30s IMO. 100 mill for 10-12 years of top tier performance is not bad IMO especially considering the potential this guy has.

All the successful teams have a talisman, a star player, players like Rooney, Ronaldo, RVP, Aguero, Hazard, Salah, players capable of winning games all be themselves. IMO we lack such a player. Martial and Rashford are too inconsistent, Bruno has been here only for a few months and Greenwood is young. They all have the potential but I think Sancho could be that player for us.

GJNJ

I would prefer quality of quantity, we have plenty depth even if it's not the strongest. It's unlikely we are going to win the league next season but it should be plenty strong enough for top for and to push the front runners for a while, which I am fine as we build towards doing the same next summer.

We have lots of surplus squad players so if we can get them off the wage bill I'm sure if other better quality player will be available anyway.

Morpheus 7

100m plus post Covid is fecking stupid, no trying to justify it. Dortmund are a selling club and buy players for nothing, be lucky if they get 80/90m euro. That leak us offering opening 50m is probably true, United will struggle to do this deal. I think they may look at a alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.