Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giggsyking

Don’t know about you guys but I think the emergence of Mason (whom I stated at the start of the season would make the right side his own by the end of the season) puts us in a position of strength if Sancho wants to come to Utd.
We can put in a take it or leave it offer to Dortmund and we leave it at that;
It is not as if we have not bent over already as we have stepped aside and given them a clear run at Haaland and Bellingham so as far as I am concerned it is no more Mr Nice Guy
No. We need him and BVB know's that. You can not go in the next season with our front 3. One injury ruins everything. We can not be that naive.

E-mal

I...don't care how much we pay as long as we get him. I've got to be honest.
You should care. We have Maguire for 80 who jury is still out on his suitability to play in a team that dominates with a high line due to his pace. Paying over the top for players create a precedence that may affect us later on.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
No. We need him and BVB know's that. You can not go in the next season with our front 3. One injury ruins everything. We can not be that naive.
Liverpool has been doing exactly that for a few years and look how it turned out. Furthermore Madrid did it with their famous 'BBC' lineup. Besides, United could still do a loan deal, in the same mold as they did with Ighalo. Mason, Marcus and Martial should remain the starting lineup for years to come.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Nah we need Sancho if we want to kick on. Anyway talk of £50 million is stupid and the club will know that, I still think we get this wrapped up for around £90 million Plus add one up to £110-120 million which seems a fair price in this market.

zenith

Liverpool has been doing exactly that for a few years and look how it turned out. Furthermore Madrid did it with their famous 'BBC' lineup. Besides, United could still do a loan deal, in the same mold as they did with Ighalo. Mason, Marcus and Martial should remain the starting lineup for years to come.
That would be an incredibly bad idea. Given our luck with injuries over the years, not to mention suspensions and lack of Form. Besides, absolutely no one should be guaranteed a starting spot in a Manchester united team for years to come. Things change fast in football and we must keep trying to evolve and improve

We need Sancho for a variety of reasons. Greenwood would eventually move to CF and four quality players for a front 3 is more of a requirement than a luxury.

Dazzmondo

You could argue Firmino hasn't even played at a good enough level this season to be a starter for Liverpool and they still won the league easily in spite of this. I'd still like us to sign Sancho, but it's not the end of the world if we just go with our current front 3 and use the money to strengthen other areas before signing Sancho for a more reasonable fee next summer.

Personally I'd rather we sign Upamecano and Partey (or a similar standard dm) instead of just signing Sancho and nobody else. Dream scenario would be strengthening all 3 and best somewhat realistic scenario would be signing Upamecano and Sancho (but based on prices being suggested by Dortmund that doesn't seem that realistic).

Last edited:

NoLogo

Nah we need Sancho if we want to kick on. Anyway talk of £50 million is stupid and the club will know that, I still think we get this wrapped up for around £90 million Plus add one up to £110-120 million which seems a fair price in this market.
I think prices have actually dropped due to the corona break. Look at the Sané deal, no way City would have sold him for €50M + bonuses before the Coronoa break.

I reckon the fee will be around €75M + bonuses.

RkkMan

BBC was a much much more established trio than ours TBF good comparison with LFC but it has to be argued as good as Greenwood has been he`s just only 18 and in the long term a ST anyway lets not risk burning him out too much or getting too much exposure in case he gets the inevitable dip in form all youngsters have. And our current front 3 still has question marks whether it can close the gap on LFC/City who have much more established players. Someone of Sancho`s calibre instantly puts us minimum 10/15 points closer to our rivals

TrustInJanuzaj

I think prices have actually dropped due to the corona break. Look at the Sané deal, no way City would have sold him for €50M + bonuses before the Coronoa break.

I reckon the fee will be around €75M + bonuses.
I think the Sane deal is a special circumstance, hasn’t played in ages and really wanted out with little time left on his contract. Add in the fact he’s German and Bayern had the perfect storm. Also Sane has been a little overrated of late, he’s not even close to Sanchos level in my opinion. I just can’t see Dortmund letting him go for less than £100 all in.

Bondi77

That is the same with every team isn’t it from Barca to Madrid to Liverpool; city are the only top team to stockpile attacking players and even they only have one top class centre forward.
We do not want to have the same situation as we had not too long ago when Martial was playing well on the LW and we brought in Sanchez and dumped Martial who did not want to know afterwards.
It is all well and good having a squad full of first teamers but in reality when it comes to the big games they all want to play in them and it inevitably leads to unrest when that does not happen; City overcame that by paying players three times more than what they were earning at their previous club to ease the pain aka Jame Milner.

Bondi77

I think the Sane deal is a special circumstance, hasn’t played in ages and really wanted out with little time left on his contract. Add in the fact he’s German and Bayern had the perfect storm. Also Sane has been a little overrated of late, he’s not even close to Sanchos level in my opinion. I just can’t see Dortmund letting him go for less than £100 all in.
Werner was 50mil as well so I am sure Ed will be mentioning Him and Sane to Dortmund when talking the price of Sancho. Every case is different but if Sancho has made it known he wants to come to Utd and these are recent prices of similarly rated players then we are mad if we pay more than 70mil in the current market.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Werner was 50mil as well so I am sure Ed will be mentioning Him and Sane to Dortmund when talking the price of Sancho. Every case is different but if Sancho has made it known he wants to come to Utd and these are recent prices of similarly rated players then we are mad if we pay more than 70mil in the current market.
Sane had one year left and Werner isn't similarly rated.

TrustInJanuzaj

Again I think the circumstances are different. Werner again is quite overrated in my opinion, he’s a couple notches below Sancho and if I’m not mistaken he has a release clause? Dortmund are a bigger club with more resources and I think in Sancho we are talking about an Mbappe level talent. When the precedent has already been set for Dembele ages years ago I really don’t see us getting Sancho for much less than £100 and I disagree that could be considered anything other than a good deal anyway.

Mourinhonista

That would be an incredibly bad idea. Given our luck with injuries over the years, not to mention suspensions and lack of Form. Besides, absolutely no one should be guaranteed a starting spot in a Manchester united team for years to come. Things change fast in football and we must keep trying to evolve and improve

We need Sancho for a variety of reasons. Greenwood would eventually move to CF and four quality players for a front 3 is more of a requirement than a luxury.
I've seen it before when United signed Sanchez and pushed Martial to a different position. Fecked everything up in the end. Rashford won't be benched, he's the new golden boy and 19/20 has been his breakout season, he's been one of the best attackers in the league. Currently United are paying about 450k/week for both Martial and Rashford and both of them are delivering the goods, can't see United changing that.

Greenwood is perfect where he is, 6 scorer in 8 games, i don't see him moving to the central position in the next couple years.

You could argue Firmino hasn't even played at a good enough level this season to be a starter for Liverpool and they still won the league easily in spite of this. I'd still like us to sign Sancho, but it's not the end of the world if we just go with our current front 3 and use the money to strengthen other areas before signing Sancho for a more reasonable fee next summer.

Personally I'd rather we sign Upamecano and Partey (or a similar standard dm) instead of just signing Sancho and nobody else. Dream scenario would be strengthening all 3 and best somewhat realistic scenario would be signing Upamecano and Sancho (but based on prices being suggested by Dortmund that doesn't seem that realistic).
I think Klopp sees it differently otherwise he would have asked Liverpool to pay the money required for Werner. He's been more up and down this season but overall very good, IMO. It's been said before without him Mane and Salah couldn't be playing the way they're doing now.

BBC was a much much more established trio than ours TBF good comparison with LFC but it has to be argued as good as Greenwood has been he`s just only 18 and in the long term a ST anyway lets not risk burning him out too much or getting too much exposure in case he gets the inevitable dip in form all youngsters have. And our current front 3 still has question marks whether it can close the gap on LFC/City who have much more established players. Someone of Sancho`s calibre instantly puts us minimum 10/15 points closer to our rivals
I don't remember Mbappe spending much time on the bench after he forced his way into Monaco's starting eleven. Sancho and before Dembele have been playing week in and week out, anything else should be disappointing for Greenwood. Just because he didn't cost a shitload of money doesn't mean he's not as good as someone like Sancho. United should do a loan deal for someone cheap and continue playing that front three.

And yes, give Pogba a blank cheque, he's Uniteds best and most important player, IMO.

Dazzmondo

I think Klopp sees it differently otherwise he would have asked Liverpool to pay the money required for Werner. He's been more up and down this season but overall very good, IMO. It's been said before without him Mane and Salah couldn't be playing the way they're doing now.
Well, the important point is that they were still trying to sign Werner so obviously Klopp did want to upgrade Firmino. Chelsea were willing to offer more money clearly.

Giggsyking

That is the same with every team isn’t it from Barca to Madrid to Liverpool; city are the only top team to stockpile attacking players and even they only have one top class centre forward.
We do not want to have the same situation as we had not too long ago when Martial was playing well on the LW and we brought in Sanchez and dumped Martial who did not want to know afterwards.
It is all well and good having a squad full of first teamers but in reality when it comes to the big games they all want to play in them and it inevitably leads to unrest when that does not happen; City overcame that by paying players three times more than what they were earning at their previous club to ease the pain aka Jame Milner.
Im am not saying we should have 6 first team players for only 3 attacking spots. We should have at least one extra so that every player in the starting 11 play and knows there is a player on the bench who has quality enough to take his place.

Stretender

Loan fee and his wages during the loan would explain the added cost.
Again I think the circumstances are different. Werner again is quite overrated in my opinion, he’s a couple notches below Sancho and if I’m not mistaken he has a release clause? Dortmund are a bigger club with more resources and I think in Sancho we are talking about an Mbappe level talent. When the precedent has already been set for Dembele ages years ago I really don’t see us getting Sancho for much less than £100 and I disagree that could be considered anything other than a good deal anyway.
Sancho is not a Mbappe level talent let's be realistic here. Mbappe looks very assured when playing fo France and even scored a good goal in a world cup final. In an England shirt, Sancho doesn't even perform better than Rashford, am using Rashford here as a comparison because I think Mbappe is levels above Rashford. He is a good player in a Dortmund side which is system dependent I think to say he is Mbappe level is an exaggeration

Mourinhonista

Well, the important point is that they were still trying to sign Werner so obviously Klopp did want to upgrade Firmino. Chelsea were willing to offer more money clearly.
He's a very good player and would've given them something differently. But the money required to get Werner was too much compared to the improvement he'd bring, i guess that's what Klopp had been thinking. Maybe Firmino would've asked to leave and Pool could've been worse than before.

About 150 mil. for Sancho and maybe Martial wants to leave because Greenwood has to play in his position...

Dazzmondo

He's a very good player and would've given them something differently. But the money required to get Werner was too much compared to the improvement he'd bring, i guess that's what Klopp had been thinking. Maybe Firmino would've asked to leave and Pool could've been worse than before.

About 150 mil. for Sancho and maybe Martial wants to leave because Greenwood has to play in his position...
The asking price for Sancho atm is being reported as €120m or £108m so it's not as much as that. I still would prefer we sign him but we should also be looking to sign Upamecano for €60m (£54m) before another club gets him imo. Greenwood will still get plenty of game time across all competitions and I doubt Ole will take Martial out when he's performing the same way Mourinho did. None of our starting 3 will play every game even if we didn't sign Sancho and I don't want to see Daniel James playing in our starting XI if we can avoid it.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If city escape the cl ban then i can see them in the mix for sancho (and haaland when his buyout clause kicks in)
Certainly with sane going I think pep will be after another wide player and sancho makes some sense as they have some clause about negotiating first when he is sold plus would he count as homegrown?

People say pep wouldn't have him back but pep seems fairly pragmatic to me and people said we wouldn't have pogba back so I'm not convinced that couldnt be overcome in negotiations

TrustInJanuzaj

Sancho is not a Mbappe level talent let's be realistic here. Mbappe looks very assured when playing fo France and even scored a good goal in a world cup final. In an England shirt, Sancho doesn't even perform better than Rashford, am using Rashford here as a comparison because I think Mbappe is levels above Rashford. He is a good player in a Dortmund side which is system dependent I think to say he is Mbappe level is an exaggeration
Just because he hasn’t yet done too much for England (in relatively few games) doesn’t mean he’s not an elite talent. I’ve seen you post in this thread plenty and downplay Sanchos ability. It’s quite clear you haven’t really seen him play and are purely relying on afew England appearances. Make no mistake Sancho could be the best player in the league if he develops correctly. He’s got exceptional dribbling ability alongside fantastic play making skills. Worth every penny of a big fee and would fit our squad like a glove.

Stretender

Just because he hasn’t yet done too much for England (in relatively few games) doesn’t mean he’s not an elite talent. I’ve seen you post in this thread plenty and downplay Sanchos ability. It’s quite clear you haven’t really seen him play and are purely relying on afew England appearances. Make no mistake Sancho could be the best player in the league if he develops correctly. He’s got exceptional dribbling ability alongside fantastic play making skills. Worth every penny of a big fee and would fit our squad like a glove.
I don't downplay Sancho's ability, but like you have mentioned in your post he has potential to develop into a top player. So we agree we are talking about potential here. Which is fine.My comment was more aimed at addressing your claim that he is at Mbappe's level. No he hasn't reached those heights yet. Mbappe is a sure thing.

TrustInJanuzaj

I don't downplay Sancho's ability, but like you have mentioned in your post he has potential to develop into a top player. So we agree we are talking about potential here. Which is fine.My comment was more aimed at addressing your claim that he is at Mbappe's level. No he hasn't reached those heights yet. Mbappe is a sure thing.
Mbappe is further in his development, but that doesn't mean Sancho can't get to his level. I would argue that Sancho is a nailed on sure thing just as much as Mbappe. I'd be very confident that in 5 years time £100 will look like good value.

If city escape the cl ban then i can see them in the mix for sancho (and haaland when his buyout clause kicks in)
Certainly with sane going I think pep will be after another wide player and sancho makes some sense as they have some clause about negotiating first when he is sold plus would he count as homegrown?

People say pep wouldn't have him back but pep seems fairly pragmatic to me and people said we wouldn't have pogba back so I'm not convinced that couldnt be overcome in negotiations
Pep has already said they’re not in for Sancho.

Judas

Open to offers

Don't remember this at all. Maybe a handful of bitter fans.

City aren't in for Sancho, its just not happening.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

If Pep says he doesn't need a player, he doesn't need a player. Remember Zlatan? very good managers can be very stubborn. And at this point for City, losing Pep is much much riskier than getting Sancho back.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Also I don't think United should be worried about having too many good players competing for limited spots. And if by the end of it one player leaves due to limited game time (which I highly doubt would happen, as long as we're competing for every trophies), at least we'll be left with the best ones out of the bunch, that's why they managed to keep this one player on the bench.

It worked for City when they had a ridiculous number of good players up front. If we are to get back on top, the last thing to worry is having too many good players. The worst thing to happen? feeling content with what we have. We have no players at their peak, outside of De Gea, Mata, Ighalo and deadwood players, they're all still developing. You never know what could happen to their development. Some might peak earlier than expected and their performances drop after, some might be having a 'honeymoon' period that makes them look better, some might struggle with consistency after playing too many games. That is a risk we have to mitigate early by having good players competing for similar positions. There's no other way.

No more running around in panic mode trying to sign a winger because we dont have one. No more waiting to see both Lingard and Pereira failing before signing a midfielder. No more relying on Jones and Smalling when all we need is a reliable centre back. No more waiting for Ashley Young to turn 34 before considering signing a fullback. It's stupid.

Last edited:

RkkMan

Pep himself said City wont bring back Sancho publicly if you haven`t been seeing the news plus he`ll want CL football so even if they did want him it would be futile effort.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Pep himself said City wont bring back Sancho publicly if you haven`t been seeing the news plus he`ll want CL football so even if they did want him it would be futile effort.
We will know about that at 9:30 on Monday... but there seems to be a lot more chatter about them being exonerated than the ban being upheld so far

RkkMan

I don't remember Mbappe spending much time on the bench after he forced his way into Monaco's starting eleven. Sancho and before Dembele have been playing week in and week out, anything else should be disappointing for Greenwood. Just because he didn't cost a shitload of money doesn't mean he's not as good as someone like Sancho. United should do a loan deal for someone cheap and continue playing that front three.

And yes, give Pogba a blank cheque, he's Uniteds best and most important player, IMO.
[/QUOTE]

If Greenwood continues developing then its a big reason to go for Sancho. His versatility not only gives us a lot of tactical options but also provides competition. All 3 of Greenwood/Martial/Rashford will always be on their toes and wanting to give their best to avoid being benched. Look at City with their depth and us in 2009 with Giggs/Nani/CR7/Rooney/Berba/Tevez and how it was of benefit to us winning the PL. Someone "cheap" won`t close the 34 point gap on LFC especially cause we don`t know if any of Martial/Rashford as good as they are will become top tier players.
Every PL winning team has a talisman in attack
Chelsea- Hazard
LFC- Salah/Mane
City- Sterling/Sane/Mahrez
None of our attackers are of that caliber Sancho is the one closest to them.

cyberman

We will know about that at 9:30 on Monday... but there seems to be a lot more chatter about them being exonerated than the ban being upheld so far
They had a massive falling out. Sancho isnt going back to City

RkkMan

Again Pep himself said "Sancho wanted to leave why would we want him back?" He`s not going back to City and nobody other than CAS know the verdict.

crossy1686

career ending

Pep’s already said they’re not going back for him and his camp have said they’re not going back to City. City are replacing their back line this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.