James Derbyshire interview

superdave

From the United site, makes interesting reading:

Name: James Derbyshire, or just ‘Jimmy’.

Born: Warrington, 21 November, 1989
Position: Central midfield

Strengths: I’m versatile, I can play most positions, particularly in midfield or defence. But I’d say my strongest position is centre midfield.

Ways I can improve: You can always improve, especially as a centre midfielder because it’s a position that requires a lot of different attributes. I’m always practicing on my weaker foot and my heading.

A player at the club I admire: Paul Scholes. When we’ve finished training we sometimes watch the end of the first team session. He always stands out, he’s class. He’s got brilliant movement, range of passing, and awareness. Even in training he is always about five steps ahead of everyone else, and in matches nobody can get near him. He trained with the young lads during an international break earlier in the season. We played a practice match, I was right-back and he was in midfield. It was amazing to play alongside him even though it was only in training.

Life at United: It’s heaven. I’m enjoying every minute of it.

I first got spotted: I was playing for my local team in Warrington when I was eight and I’ve been at the club since I was nine.

In five years I will be: I’d love to be playing for the first team, but it’s tough to make it at a top club. Just because I’m at United now, I can’t take anything for granted. So, as long as in five years’ time I can look back and say I gave it my all, I won’t have too many complaints. If I can’t make it at United, I just want to be playing professional football.

Describe yourself in three words: Happy (off the pitch). Serious (on the pitch). Determined.

Best moment in football so far: The Premier Cup (youth tournament), when we got to the final. I think that was the best I’d ever played in that tournament. I started at full back and then played centre midfield. After that I got a letter inviting me to play for England schoolboys.

Most embarrassing moment: I haven’t got one, yet.

Favourite other sports: I like playing golf and table tennis.

Films: One flew over the cuckoos nest.

Music: Indie. Stone Roses, Ian Brown, Oasis, that sort of thing. I’m in the right city!

TV: I like comedies. The Office, Only Fools and Horses and Simpsons. And I never, ever miss Hollyoaks. I’ve got to watch it.

Best trainer in the team: I reckon Sam Hewson and Magnus. Both of them are really good players, they’ve got brilliant technique and they always put the work in.

Worst: Richard Eckersley – he’s just dopey. Everyone has picked on him calling him the worst trainer, but everyone loves training with him.
Team joker: I dish it out, but I’ve had it back. Someone tied all my trainers up to the toilet cubicle. Team joker… Anton [Antonio Bryan] is a funny lad.
Best and worst dressed: I’m gonna say me. I’m the best dressed. They all rip into me, but I’m into indie clothes, jeans, retro trainers. I sort of follow Ian Brown, that’s what I consider good dress sense. Worst… Ben Amos, he wears some awful trainers. And Febian has got this red hat that he wears every day. It’s shocking.

M160RA

Finally, a young footballer who's not into hip hop!

Mainoldo

M160RA said:
Finally, a young footballer who's not into hip hop!
What a shame!!! They should fine him for his poor taste in music... He doesn't even like RnB, whats going on...